• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rate The Above Song, Then Post Another

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
6/10 This has some very very early Taylor Swift genetics, and that's always gonna be a soft spot for me. Plus, her breathy delivery somehow really works on the upbeat melody. Unfortunately, it's super repetitive and I really dislike those guitars. They're mixed too high and have this ugly synthetic sheen over them. Put some pedal steel on that if you're going for the pop country aesthetics.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.8/10

The melody's good, but doesn't especially stand out. It still suits the tone the song's going for, and the lyrics are honestly quite sweet. Not something I can see myself listening to much, but it's still a pleasant song.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
7/10 As an American, I am obligated to not know what an Alan Walker is /s but seriously, I had a great "Ohhh I remember this song!" moment partway through the track. I can't deny its catchiness, even if it does kinda overstay its welcome by the last minute or so. Plus it pulls off something quite rare for an EDM track: the verses > the chorus

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
8/10

The instrumentals, melody, vocals and lyrics all compliment one and other perfectly here, making for an extremely catchy song. The chorus is especially strong.
The lyrics, while fairly easy to understand on surface level, are still fairly deep and make for an interesting subject, and the subject theme doesn't bog down the song's tone or stop it from being catchy.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
8/10 I love basically any classic hip-hop song, so I should really do a deep dive into the genre one day. The vocal effects and samples are so energetic and bouncy! The first half is definitely better than the second half cuz it has more vocals, but there are still cool vibes in the long outro, too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7/10

Musically, it sounds great. The instrumentals and rhythm alone make for a great listen, and the lyrics are interesting. However, it's held back a bit by the lyrics being muffled and drawn out. It meshes with the instruments too well and makes most of the lyrics difficult to hear without looking them up. Not a bad song, but I think the vocals could've been better.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
8/10

One of the catchiest jazz songs I've heard in quite a while. I expected some lyrics to drop at some point early on, but ultimately the song didn't need any to be good or an enjoyable listen. Kind of even reminds me of Animal Crossing's OST in some ways.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Ra-Ra-Rasputin! A pretty catchy song although this somewhat extended version might be on the long side. It definitely is a very catchy ear worm. Kinda classic. I'll give it an 8/10, sure.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
7/10 Fatboy Slim in the 90s was so consistent that I would actually consider this kinda low tier for him. Yet there is still an undeniable groove to the whole thing that keeps me bouncing, and I've gotta say some of the transitions between sections (I hesitate to call them verse and chorus but I guess it counts) are some of my favs on any of his songs. The sudden shifts between jittery verses and the serene string samples on the chorus should be jarring but they're just beautiful.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7/10

A catchy 8 bit tune. It's composition is impressive, and it has an upbeat melody, but it feels like it's missing something. I'm not sure what. Maybe there are just other 8bit songs that have different styles or genres that are more my speed, but this was still a fun listen.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
8/10 Such a great easy vibe with a masterful sample usage from what's probably Kanye's best era, of course it's a masterpiece. However, I also wanna dedicate some words to the video, which might be one of the best music videos of all time. It's so charming!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7.8/10

A pleasant sounding yet melancholy song with tragic lyrics. The song's themes are intriguing. seemingly describing someone who messed up in a relationship and wants to make up to their EX for it. The instrumentals and vocal work are excellent, and compliment each other as well a s the song's melody and theme itself quite nicely. Overall, an enjoyable song, but also an intriguing one. Nice collaboration!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
7/10 The beginning sounded a little too much like a Minecraft YouTuber intro soundtrack, but it got really funky after the first minute. :kirbsnow:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7.8/10

This song seems like it's full to the brim with metaphors, including several based around relationships and possibly another based around the singer's character, though there's also some I think I still don't quite get. But it also kind of works if taken literally as just being about a werewolf. And all of that are good strengths for a song. The instrumentals and melody are also great, and the singer does a phenomenal job.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
6/10 lol you took that Minecraft Youtuber intro comment to heart huh? As for the song, it's a solid vibe, and I'm sure it goes hard in an actual dank cave setting, where I assume I'd hear it in game, because it does have a tense flavor to it. However, I have to say I'm just not a fan of the timbre of the lead synths. Too loud and sharp, especially compared to the instrumental underneath it. Makes everything sound drowned out in comparison.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.8/10

It's a nice sounding song with good instrumentals and vocal work, but the melody and use of said instruments doesn't particularly stand out to me. The lyrics are all over the place, and are a little too vague for me to decipher. The song doesn't seem to be about just one thing, but several. It's not bad, but the music itself isn't that memorable to me.

6/10 lol you took that Minecraft Youtuber intro comment to heart huh? As for the song, it's a solid vibe, and I'm sure it goes hard in an actual dank cave setting, where I assume I'd hear it in game, because it does have a tense flavor to it.
Nah, I'd actually been planning on posting that song from the game's OST here for a while lol, though it's possible that the post might've reminded me of it. And while it's possible to play that particular song in a cave, it doesn't play on it's own, it's a track from one of the game's Music Discs. To hear it in-game, you'd need to obtain it's Music Disc and put it in a Jukebox block. To be fair, though, you can at least places Jukeboxes virtually anywhere as with most blocks in the game. :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
10/10 Plastic Beach is a modern masterpiece and the music videos they released during this time was the peak of the band imo.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
8/10 It runs on a little long, but it's still chock-full of that classic Barry White silky smoothness. He just has an uncanny ability to sound like he's singing right into my ear. That female vocal that keeps popping up does well to add some texture, too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7.5/10

While some of the lyrics are a bit curious, the majority of them seem optimistic and encouraging ,surprisingly more than a lot of them sound so at first. It can be a bit blunt at times, but it's also an overall optimistic song to not let fear or self-doubt control their lives. The instrumentals and melody are great, nothing entirely unique, but still manage to stand out and sound good on their own, along with complimenting the lyrics and message of the song. The vocals are also solid. All in all, a surprisingly strong and enjoyable song.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 The beat goes hard as **** and the lyrics are nice. Not too big on the Luigi impersonation even if his voice is solid. It got me jiggy tho :kirbsnow:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
8/10

Smooth jazz is always nice, and this song is particularly well-composed. It's a really relaxing track, it even brings back memories of listening to radio stations in the car. It'd be a nice song among a jazz playlist to listen to while eating dinner or driving.

Gonna be posting a lot of Halloween-oriented songs including more contemporary stuff and more novel fanmade stuff like this here up until the end of October in honor of the Halloween. :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8/10 The only thing I disliked is that from 5-6:30 it sounds like music that they play when you’re on hold on the phone :nifty:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
8/10 Oh yeah I love this Sleep Token album. Lead single The Summoning is one of my fav songs of the year, and Granite ain't no slouch either. Love the balance between creating this heavy atmosphere with he crunchy guitars while also keeping a super catchy melody on the vocals. Honestly I could swear it interpolates some pop song.

(For some reason all the official uploads of this are the radio edit)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
7.2/10

The instrumentals and rhythm make for a nice tune with a lot of buildup, the lyrics are fascinating (even if I'm certain I didn't fully understand them on the first listen), ending with some epic instrumentals. Solid song!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
6.8/10

Musically, it sounds great (up until the piano part at the end, but that seems to be the intention of the musicians since it sounds like someone literally slamming their hands on the keys), but the lyrics, while seeming to be telling a story, still feel kinda random at times and incredibly hard to hear with how quiet some of them are and how multiple people seem to be singing at once during many verses and chorus alike. I just don't think the genre of music is much for me.

Note: this song's an extended edit of the original OST, with a short sample from a cover.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
7/10 Good movie and a good song. I’m not blown away, but I’m still hitting the dance floor like I’m shaggy down for a scooby snack :kirbsnow:

Top Bottom