• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rate The Above Song, Then Post Another

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
This is kind of why I want to start a new thread for music.

rating 1-10 is inherently flawed and it makes a large majority of people take the scores personally ("oh wow I got a 10, yay I'm happy and I like this guy and his music taste" "Boo I got a 2? WTF is wrong with this guy he sucks I will retaliate with low scores")

I'd much rather do it without scores or maybe something more simple like

0. I can't stand this song
1. I'd skip this song if it came on the radio
2. I like it but wouldn't listen again
3. I'd listen to it all if it came on the radio
4. I'd buy it
5. I want to listen to this every day

Or maybe it could just be about recommendations, ask for a genre or give a song and get a recommendation for a similar song.

Also Equestrian man c'mon you do get kind of trollish with your scores and replies. There was a while there where you were posting bad MLP songs and rating 0/10s to songs you'd probably give 6s and aboves if you yourself had posted them.
I think we should also make it mandatory to give reasons for your rating. Come up with a kind of code of conduct for voting. Also too many reasons are "I don't like this kind of music" no matter what genres you extend out to.

We could do ratings with optional recommendations. I support the 0-5 scale but the reasoning behind the scores could be fine tuned a bit ;). I might be able to shoot you a PM with some ideas.

Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi be reasonable with your scores.

And unfortunately this thread is also becoming a place for a few users to like each others posts to boost their like count.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
3.5/10.

Not my type of music but the sax was good and overall the song is alright.

Anyway, I'll leave this song here-

;)
Umm, well, that was...something. Not my cup of tea but it is something alright.

3/10.

:cool:
2./10.

Kind of weird video and it was sort of an so-so song. Strange overall. :dizzy:

:bowser:
5/10.

Very calm and nice sounding. Not what I normally listen but I liked it for what it is.

Anyway, I'll leave this here-

4/10.

Not my cup of tea, but it sounded ok for what it is. Liked it little bit. (Not a huge fan of Indie Rock that much but it is alright on ocassions...)

Anyway, I'll leave this here-

4/10.

It was intriguing. Not my type of music, but its instrumental were alright, I guess.

Anyway, I'll leave this track here-

These posts aren't to my taste.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Perhaps, but demanding that opinions adhere to an etiquette is getting a bit totalitarian. Can't control the Internet or how others approach these threads completely.

I think English is Giga's 2nd language, so it's forgivable. It's just really repetitive, but no ones probably told him that.

As far as this thread is concerned. I ignore scores for the most part (and reviews), there are some people with horrendous taste in music in here, some with very narrow tastes. But again that is all subjective, there are people that would give "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "Iris" 2/10s. That blows my mind, but I remind myself it's an opinion...so who cares. I personally don't post like 10 songs that sound EXACTLY the same in a row, because I think that defeats the whole purpose of a thread like this. So I try and mix it up constantly and post music that maybe people haven't heard (or forgot) but is still to a certain standard. I realize that not everyone thinks this way, but I know better than to expect a majority to think like that.

Perhaps the best thing to do is only pay attention to favorable scores or interesting reviews/songs.
That's what I do.

I might just start using my template to "rate" songs, it's more accurate for me personally.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi be reasonable with your scores.
I AM being reasonable, dude.
Also Equestrian man c'mon you do get kind of trollish with your scores and replies. There was a while there where you were posting bad MLP songs and rating 0/10s to songs you'd probably give 6s and aboves if you yourself had posted them.
Those weren't MLP songs at all. It was just a Bon Jovi cover done by one of their voice artists. You're probably talking about some of the OTHER guys who came in here who watch MLP.

And no I wouldn't get legit ratings for posting Breaking Benjamin and Blink 182 because they really are ****.

But really, if this just keeps going on, I say we contact the staff to pull the plug on this thread for good.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

Those weren't MLP songs at all. It was just a Bon Jovi cover done by one of their voice artists. You're probably talking about some of the OTHER guys who came in here who watch MLP.

And no I wouldn't get legit ratings for posting Breaking Benjamin and Blink 182 because they really are ****.

But really, if this just keeps going on, I say we contact the staff to pull the plug on this thread for good.
Sooo you want to kill the thread?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sooo you want to kill the thread?
At this point, yes, I am in favor of the staff locking the thread. It's not just me either. Sometimes I've seen other people just going completely off track not rating songs and just conversing all so randomly. What's worse is that the owner of the thread quit Smashboards and couldn't set more strict rules about it for god knows how long.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
At this point, yes, I am in favor of the staff locking the thread. It's not just me either. Sometimes I've seen other people just going completely off track not rating songs and just conversing all so randomly. What's worse is that the owner of the thread quit Smashboards and couldn't set more strict rules about it for god knows how long.
It's annoying that people are using this thread to boost their like count and that's my main gripe with this thread. But I wouldn't go as far as asking for it to be locked. You can ditch the thread if you don't like the way it's heading.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008

If you want to try and be some Nazi control freak with this thread you might want to stop breaking the "OP's" rules yourself there hypocrite...

"-No excessively harsh or negative comments. Instead of saying "This song was horrible, why do you like it," please say something more like "I didn't really enjoy this song." I think you understand my point."

Half your posts go against this "rule"

Honestly it seems like only you are feeling this way, so perhaps the logical solution is to not come back here until a song or rating is posted since it seems to bother you so much.

We're having a nice conversation about this thread, none of us mind. Currently you are the only one ruining this thread with your negativity and complaining.

If you get a mod to close this I will have it re-instated and both of you looked into. The vast majority have no problem with this thread currently. Stop looking for drama where there is none, and stop trying to control others.

It's annoying that people are using this thread to boost their like count and that's my main gripe with this thread. But I wouldn't go as far as asking for it to be locked. You can ditch the thread if you don't like the way it's heading.
All threads in Forum Games don't count posts, this thread is far from the worst offender concerning "people getting free likes"

As for the above song

6/10
"I'd skip it if it came on the radio"

Too bad the commercial has kinda ruined this song by association.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
6/10
"I'd skip it if it came on the radio"

Wait, wouldn't "I'd skip it if it came on the radio" be a 2/10?
0. I can't stand this song
1. I'd skip this song if it came on the radio
2. I like it but wouldn't listen again
3. I'd listen to it all if it came on the radio
4. I'd buy it
5. I want to listen to this every day

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Wait, wouldn't "I'd skip it if it came on the radio" be a 2/10?
Well technically it'd be 1/5 so yes 2/10 if you want to use numbers

But I was saying I don't like the whole scoring idea anyways, just gave numbers as bullet points.

So I gave the traditional score to please the Thread Gods AKA "Equestrian"

And then gave my personal rating byline.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Ah let's get back on track again.
7/10 Kinda sounds like Karen O which I like, but I think the lyrics are a bit weak.
Try em both Plunder Plunder if one is blocked.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Not bad, the production was a bit lacking. Like a wall of sound that all blended too much. I liked the energy.
Reminded of Le Tigre and Santogold and another band I'm really trying to remember.

6.5/10

Never knew the name of this song until a few minutes ago.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Eh, it was probably all right for its time. I'd say 6/10

I thought long and hard about it, and while my thoughts when I rated things considerably low many times remain unchanged, I think it's best for me to just leave this thread. It wasn't bad music I had a problem with though, it was mainly that sometimes you guys go off track, not rating or sharing songs for entire posts sometimes. I saw it happen A LOT, even some of the songs I would post would get skipped over like that. That makes the thread look insecure, and that's just sad.

Anyway, I'll just leave this final song here, push the "Unwatch Thread" button, and move on.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
5/10

Mostly because it isn't my taste in music. I can tell it's a good song though, good lyrics, meaningful ones at that.

Sorry if you guys have heard this song close to eight million times.

Also, can we do video game music?

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
5/10

Mostly because it isn't my taste in music. I can tell it's a good song though, good lyrics, meaningful ones at that.

Sorry if you guys have heard this song close to eight million times.

Also, can we do video game music?
Anything goes (as long as it's music)

I had posted that song a while back, I rather like it

8.5/10

FAT BOYS for life!

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
8/10
+0.5 because the 3:40 part
8.5/10
I swear I heard this song before... but it was like years ago.
Pretty enjoyable

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8/10
+0.5 because the 3:40 part
8.5/10
I swear I heard this song before... but it was like years ago.
Pretty enjoyable
The whole song was featured in my all time favorite skate video "Chomp On This". That video and that part are legendary, there's great animations/effects and the edit to the song is spot on. You can find that part on Youtube.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
These posts aren't to my taste.
Oh...

So, what, you want me or anyone else to do the same and write an essay on every single one of my/their posts or something about what I/Everyone think of each song or something while talking about the music I/Everyone post here...?

Fine. I could do just that, but since there are OTHER people aside from me who's doing so I don't think people can go on pointing fingers at something that doesn't fit what i want to see in MUH THREADS. But whatever, like you said... :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but demanding that opinions adhere to an etiquette is getting a bit totalitarian. Can't control the Internet or how others approach these threads completely.

I think English is Giga's 2nd language, so it's forgivable. It's just really repetitive, but no ones probably told him that.
REALLY GLAD that you're understanding on this whole deal on how to act/post/talk on the MUSIC thread. This is about sharing music just so that people can comment on it a bit and say if they liked it or not, and GIVE REASONS on that. Why that isn't the case, I have no clue...

You have no idea how many times I have seen on the thread:

"I DUN LIEK IT..."

"THAT SUKS..."

And so on and so on. Everyone in the thread has a little bit of fault if you want to go over how things 'shouldn't be done in it'.

I'll be up for 'some change' in the way this thread handles ratings of songs since some people, which I won't name, can't be really :shaker: when we don't like the music they share here...

But yeah, whatever is the course of action to be taken here, by all means, do it. Just let us know prior to acting on it.

And about my language, yeah. English isn't my MAIN language (Spanish is...) but I can and KNOW how to comment on something and such; if that's where you or anyone else for that matter are coming from.

It doesn't help that I'm commenting at times like 3:00 AM and I can be a little tired to even be in a forum but that's besides the point. :seuss:

Anyway, back to what this thread is about: MUSIC.

On the song above, I have heard of the band before, some songs of them have caught my attention but not that much to pursue much of their music, to be honest. They're alright but they do have some songs that I do like, and the one above happens to be up there with the ones I do.

The vocals, the instruments, the melody and overall tune is cool.

7/10.

And with that overly long post aside, I'll leave this song here, seeing that some people wanted 'videogame' music, and this track happens to be both one and what I'm listening to on these hours-

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
8/10

The whole song was featured in my all time favorite skate video "Chomp On This". That video and that part are legendary, there's great animations/effects and the edit to the song is spot on. You can find that part on Youtube.
I'll try to check that

tfw no rating for my song :4ganondorf:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8/10

I'll try to check that

tfw no rating for my song :4ganondorf:
tfw you rate but don't post a song, which actually is far worse for the sake of this thread.

I had time to respond but not listen to your song and rate it, deal with it buckaroo :007:
And btw Giga did rate your song ( 7/10 ).

5/10

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
tfw you rate but don't post a song, which actually is far worse for the sake of this thread.

I had time to respond but not listen to your song and rate it, deal with it buckaroo :007:
And btw Giga did rate your song ( 7/10 ).

5/10

ayyy, I didn't realized that, my apologies :217:

Not a fan of the vocals, but the riffs at the beggining are pretty cool; is one of those songs to play while driving on a highway
8/10

On the song above, I have heard of the band before, some songs of them have caught my attention but not that much to pursue much of their music, to be honest. They're alright but they do have some songs that I do like, and the one above happens to be up there with the ones I do.

The vocals, the instruments, the melody and overall tune is cool.

7/10.

They have a lot of variety; you like softer, simple, complex or heavy stuff?

-----

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
They have a lot of variety; you like softer, simple, complex or heavy stuff?

-----
I prefer a good combination of melody and 'catchyness'. BUT THEN AGAIN, there are a lot of factors that make me want to continue listening to a song or that attracts me to it.

For example, I might like a good consistant 'simple' tune just to have it in mind, humming it even, and other times I might just prefer 'heavy' and overwhelmingly-esque songs that aside from melodic they could be good in a way to listen.

But either way, AS LONG as the music in turn is catchy, and fits my own preference in any way somehow, I'll like it. (Hopefully I made myself clear there...)

Anyway, unto the song above, I'll give it a: 7.5/10.

I have heard it before in and out of this thread and as I have said before many times, it is a good track from an already great OST.

And speaking of OST's, here a song from an OST of a game I am listening and keep on liking even more as I go with each track. None other than Punch Out!! for the Wii. Such a good soundtrack.

SUCH A GOOD TITLE SCREEN SONG FOR A GAME.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8/10 - I LOVE Punch-Out!! music. I actually started making a concept track for a video game my sis and I thought of making (still hasn't come about because of busy schedules) and I subconsciously copied the first game's fight theme. Oh well, at least I thought I was making something amazing for half an hour before I realized it wasn't really my song lol.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Hehe. Nice to know. I can picture how music from a videogame can be good as a basis for more music, although at times that can be troublesome since it may give us in response that it is a similar track. Oh well. It seemed like you had your fun, somehow, hehe.

Anyway, on your track. It is great. I can't help but be reminded of Sonic OST's as soon as the song begins. Around the Adventure-era most like. Must of been just me, but yeah. I like it though with that in mind or not. I am not that familiarized with the latter KoF's but this one has a cool air about it.

7/10.

And on the track I'll leave, here is this one-

After the Punch Out!! goodness of a soundtrack, here's this good old rock song by Dope. Featured ina previous WWE PPV known as No Mercy in 2003.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
6/10

I felt rather indifferent about the song, I'd probably skip it if it came on the radio because it sounds like a lot of other heavier alt rock stuff.

This song I'm posting is short and intense, I think I'd only listen to it while I'm skating (same goes for pretty much any other Speedealer songs)

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
6/10.

It was fine. I did like the country-old-west esque tone the song had. And the instruments along with the vocals were on point. I had heard of Volbeat prior to this song and I like them a bit, have since then. Glad to see someone listening to them in this thread.

Anyway, with that said, I'll leave this song here. And yes, it is a cover from the famous song by Survivor. Even if its a cover, it is alright, IMO. Not everyday you'll see a cover of a song like this somehow. Props to Echoes the Fall for doing so. :cool:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Definitely prefer the original, especially the intro part. Throughout the song it feels like they took a pretty interesting unique song and forced it into a bunch of riffs with effects that could be any other alternative metal song. Felt like the song lost it's soul in this cover.

6/10

Most of you might recognize the middle parts of this song and probably not the rest.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, I get you. The cover doesn't compare to the original, but for a cover, it is decent. It is nice in some points, like the intro and near the end, but overall, the other parts are okayish. I'll give them much for trying and somewhat managing to be interesting.

Unto the song of your post, I'll give it: 6/10.

Nice riffs, good instrumentation and alright vocals. I don't recognize it from anywhere, sadly, but it is good even if I'm not familiarized with it.

And with that said, I'll leave this song here. By one of my favorite bands, 12 Stones. This song while not one of their best, it is quite great, IMO. They have better songs, but this one is both from their latest album and the one I'm listening right now-

D

Deleted member

If that's not the best they got then i'd love to hear the others. 9/10
-------------
i just found out the dude who was involved in the Xenoblade X soundtrack was also involved with Kill La Kill

Last edited by a moderator:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
7/10

Reminds a lot of Notwist or other Indie-electronica stuff I've heard. The German and French scenes have a lot of great music from this kind of genre.

I think the Earthbound soundtrack has really held up well. I like how a lot of instruments sound compressed and punchy like a slap bass, all of it was so unique (even to the SNES).

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7.5/10 - Earthbound has a great soundtrack which I can only half appreciate at the moment. RIP my left earbud 2015-2015. It had a good run for $5.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
6.5/10 - I was into it for the first couple minutes or so, but it got kinda boring and repetitive after a while. Also, I'm not a fan of the instrumental effect introduced at 4:05. It seemed very out of place with the rest of the track.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
A bit all over the place but I liked it. Reminds me of early OC remixes I used to download.

8/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom