• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i also forgot that UU is the only metagame in which SR isn't a big problem due to the presence of viable RSers (what are there like...7?)

Wrath`

Smash Master
i also forgot that UU is the only metagame in which SR isn't a big problem due to the presence of viable RSers (what are there like...7?)
Switch in Mismagus/Spiritomb. Rapid Spin wut now? SR is really good in UU in my thoughts, people seem to forget it is up as I have seen people switch in some Pokemon and they just die because the forgot.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i should've re-worded

SR is the least problematic in UU when compared to the other metagames (LC isn't really counted)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Stealth Rock isn't as favorable since only Moltres is really wrecked by it. Arcanine has Morning Sun and others don't really mind. Donphan, Kabutops and Hitmontop are great Rapid Spinners.

Switch in your Mismagius / Spiritomb, get hurt by Stealth Rock and watch as Donphan punishes them with Assurance. Also, Hitmontop can utilize Foresight. Good luck blocking Rapid Spin when Hitmontop can hit your Spiritomb with Close Combat for supereffective damage.

People forgetting Stealth Rocks are up doesn't mean it's significantly better in a metagame. It just means they're not mindful.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Eh yeah, I guess I overestimate SR's power, but I haven't encountered many RS in UU on PO, I run an assurance Donphan myself, but I haven't had to use him for Rapid spinning much.

I remember getting wrecked myself by a lead Moltres.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There are a "lack" of Rapid Spinners because there's just a general lack of Stealth Rock. As stated before, there really aren't a lot of Pokemon who are really hurt by Stealth Rock's presence. There's also Venusaur and Registeel everywhere so that also adds to the absence.

That's what I think anyway.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
So, this is basically a physical blastoise. I'm using it as a lead currently, but it doesn't have to be a lead.

Blastoise @leftovers
jolly (atm, could switch to adamant if going for the slower type with avalanche. Considering going adamant because his attack sort of needs it.)
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
fake out
aqua jet
ice punch
Earthquake

I'm not sure if I want to go with him having speed and keep ice punch, or go for a bit more bulk and have avalanche.
Some other moves could be Mirror Coat, waterfall/aqua tail, Body Slam/Return, Brick Break, Counter, Gyro Ball, Seismic Toss, Zen Headbutt and i guess Bite.

I suppose you could make a anti-lead type with fake out, mirror coat, counter, and then maybe even rapid spin or aqua jet.

I'm really up for any discussions/suggestions/anything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Other than the Fake Out and Aqua Jet, this simply looks like an inferior Swampert, especially since your only STAB is Aqua Jet. Is there anything in particular your Blastoise is meant to beat?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ambipom leaves you stopped. He outspeeds and Fake Outs before U-Turning to Milotic. Now what? Blastoise is originally lacking in the physical department anyways so Thunderpunch won't be too much help either. Arcanine with Intimidate can also switch-in, and proceed to Will-o-Wisp or Toxic you.
Since your Blastoise is not as hard-hitting, you lose to Uxie leads since they get their job done, or just Thunder Wave or Toxic you. Alakazam easily threatens with a OHKO. And even against Moltres Aqua Jet won't be hurting it too much, while you're done in by Hidden Power [Grass] or Air Slash.

If you're using a lead Blastoise I'd suggest a Choice Scarf Water Spout lead. You're going to lose to Ambipom anyways so might as well make the most of it, I guess.
Because of UU's stability it's going to be hard to try out new successful leads. Throwing Counter is probably worth a shot though. However, that is really only used for Ambipom and doesn't really provide you with much for the rest of the battle.

Niiro

Smash Ace
So, this is basically a physical blastoise. I'm using it as a lead currently, but it doesn't have to be a lead.

Blastoise @leftovers
jolly (atm, could switch to adamant if going for the slower type with avalanche. Considering going adamant because his attack sort of needs it.)
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
fake out
aqua jet
ice punch
Earthquake

I'm not sure if I want to go with him having speed and keep ice punch, or go for a bit more bulk and have avalanche.
Some other moves could be Mirror Coat, waterfall/aqua tail, Body Slam/Return, Brick Break, Counter, Gyro Ball, Seismic Toss, Zen Headbutt and i guess Bite.

I suppose you could make a anti-lead type with fake out, mirror coat, counter, and then maybe even rapid spin or aqua jet.

I'm really up for any discussions/suggestions/anything.
Why so much speed if 1/2 ur moveset are priority moves? Imo, even though Blastoise is my bro, he really is a low tier water type pokemon. The set you are using would look better on Empoleon, who has *slightly* higher attack, access to SR, and better typing. And if you were to use Empoleon, you might as well just use the special variant set =/

But if this is for UU, then I'm not too sure.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying it has to be a lead.

And it is for UU mainly.
@Tery- i know of the scarf water spout set, i wanted to try something different though.

Thanks for the ideas...

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Alright. Well the drawback is that you're missing Technician. Both Fake Out abusers Ambipom and Hitmontop have Technician to boost the attack power of Fake Out. Blastoise lacks Fake Out and also has a lower base Attack stat to begin with.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to point out why it might not work as well. ^^;;

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
I know.

I think I might get rid of the whole thing and go for something using the mirror coat/counter sort of thing.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
This is a new Mew set i have been using.

Mew @ Leftovers
Synchronize @ Calm
EVs - 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Baton Pass
Rock Polish
Charge Beam
Magic Coat

The Idea of this is that most leads taunt me so I use Charge Beam and then I Baton Pass to my Dialga that sweeps everything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How do you have two copies of Baton Pass? I thought only Missingno could pull that **** off.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I remember that Mew set from when I played against him the other day. I think the last move is supposed to be Taunt.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Couldn't they just send in Groudon and kill your Mew or something?

ss118

Smash Master
Then Garchomp comes in and KOs with EQ. Or everything faster comes in and deals damage. It took you two spots to do that, and your opponent likely has SR, Spikes, and has the luxury to just let one member die, one revenge kill somewhat, and one to finally kill you while probably still having the overall advantage(since with Spikes+SR you are NOT going to RS past Giratina[-o] anytime soon).

Slightly ninja'd

IceArrow

Smash Lord
It bounces back Dark Void, And then if they send in groudon/garchomp I BP to my Kyogre.

What Magic Coat does

15 PP +4 Priority

All moves that induce status as their only effect (including Yawn), except Teeter Dance
All moves that do no damage but alter the target's stats (including Flatter and Swagger), except Defog and Memento
Attract
Block
Gastro Acid
Leech Seed
Mean Look
Spider Web
Worry Seed

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Couldn't they just send in Groudon and kill your Mew or something?
Yes. That's exactly what I did in my match against him. I tricked a Scarf onto his Mew and then I switched to Groudon and started setting up.

It bounces back Dark Void, And then if they send in groudon/garchomp I BP to my Kyogre.
No, they're asking what you would do if they sent in a ground type while you were still in Taunt.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
so i guess shoddy's bug of letting you bounce back taunt with magic coat is gone now?

MAN i loved doing that.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've been playing around with this set, it works pretty well

Staraptor @ Lum Berry
Adamant / Intimidate
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Brave Bird
Close Combat
U-turn
Tailwind

It basically fakes being a Scarf and is able to absorb a status. With this, it can set up tailwind to get unbeatable speeds for 2 turns or let someone else on the team abuse it for a turn (especially useful for starmie and such). I just wish tailwind lasted 5 turns and not 3.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yea, seriously, the staraptor set works, it's just tailwind doesn't last long enough for the others to abuse, i might just change it to agility

mood4food77

Smash Hero
swellow doesn't learn CC and normal/flying has pretty bad type coverage

i might go roost over u-turn so it has some staying power

but yea, the fact that tailwind only lasts 3 turns is really disappionting

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah well GL with this with all the **** that's happening.

I'll try my best, that's all I can promise.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I was saying as a maybe. With school and all that, if you can get Quagsire done that'll be fine enough for now but don't worry about it for like two weeks, haha.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
hey, what do you guys think about this?:

Anti-Lead Donphan

Donphan @ Passho Berry
Adamant / Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Rapid Spin/Seed Bomb
Head Smash
Earthquake
IceShard/Seed Bomb

OHKOs Shuca Leadtran, LeadPert, LeadRichi (almost always), and Lead Starmie.
2HKOs Focus Sash Leads --> it can KO in a combination of Head Smash/Earthquake + Ice Shard.... or Rapid Spin the first turn to break the sash and remove Stealth Rock at the same time, then proceed to OHKO with whichever move. But I really don't know which I should rely more on... :(
Passho Berry is put on it for to beat Empoleon, Pert, and Starmie.

Threats-> LeadNite OHKOs with one Draco Meteor. Lead Celebi OHKOs with LeafStorm. Hippowdon sponges your moves. LeadChamp is still annoying, especially since it's faster. Roserade.... yeah. And Metagross doesn't get OHKO'd, so it can explode.

Since Empoleon isn't common and Pert usually has Ice Beam instead of Surf, I could probably give it Lum Berry for status leads or just Life Orb.

edit:

Focus Sash instead of the berry.

Top Bottom