• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Kirby PLZ!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
First game:

At around 2:30, an edguard bair would've been perfect.

Not enough tilts, especially utilt.

Not enough bair at first, then too predictable afterwards.

Grabs. Same as bair problem.

A lot of the times when you neutral a-d, a tilt would've been better.

This is more of a decision on my part, but your kirbycide attempts make you look bad. Here are the only 3 situations I would use one in:

1. You are in the perfect position, both of you are offstage. It doesn't matter who's edguarding who.

2. You're at 1 life, they're at more. You admit defeat and Kirbycide.

3. They're being cheap with -cides, so you show them a lesson.

In general, I don't like Kirbyciding because your at a high percent and they're low. It's one of the best times to use it, but I don't like the unfairness. I try to keep myself as "uncheap" as possible.

You had a bunch of good dtilt trip>fsmash set ups, but didn't use them. Around 3:30.

At 4:05, you just randomly Vulcan Punched in the middle of nowhere. Probably a stupid mistake, but just wanted to point it out.

Rolling behind people is generally not a good idea.

At the very end, you got a little smash-happy trying to kill him. Bad habit to get into.

Second Game:

Marth on battlefield? Not a good choice IMO.

Rolling behind people is still a bad idea, though you didn't get punished this time.

You started Vulcan Punching in the middle of nowhere... again.

That Kirbycide fail; I wouldn't have done it in the first place (my principles), but once you did it, you should have spit out. Better to be safe and lose the stock like a man.

You just stood there when he was recovering. At least go in there and put some pressure on him. That hammer might've landed if you did...

You really look like some cheap n00b when you try to kirbycide so much.

At 7:45, you got punished again when rolling towards him.

Nice dtilt to fsmash a little after 7:45(not sarcastic).

When you had to jump in order to dair them, bairs were a better choice (when edguarding).

Not too many grabs in this match altogether.

Despite all of that, you're pretty good. I've critiqued a lot of Kirbies; all of them need to work on their tilt usage :laugh:, including you. You've got it in you to become good. You've got it in you to become a pro. Feel free to brawl me any time, then I can critique you better (it's hard to critique someone fighting against someone you've never played). Also brawl Asdioh and Fromundaman, and Galaxy. Any other Kirbies I left out, I'm sorry! It was just me forgetting! Please don't hurt me!

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and one thing people, actually two:

1) I don't Kirbycide, I just attempt to get the opponent under the stage, that way, I keep my life, but they use theirs, I usually only do it on people with suckish recoveries.

2) Please don't say anything about using tilts, because, unlike most people, I use the Wii Remote, and it is difficult to do tilts with the Wii Remote, especially the U-Tilt.

Thanks for the advice A1lion385! :)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Your welcome.

1. That's a Kirbycide.

2. That's no excuse. My friend's a button (gc controller) is jammed, so you know what he does? He tilts the control stick, then the c-stick in that direction to tilt. It's hard, but it's what he has to do. BTW, I suggest switching to a gc controller.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
It's called a Kirbycide even if you don't die with your opponent? That's odd, and doing U-Tilt is harder than you think and makes yourself wide open when fighting cuz you HAVE to jump before doing U-Tilt or else you can't do it.

Switching to the gamecube controller after months of playing will probably screw me cuz I'm so used to the controls of the Wii Remote.

Plu-e

Smash Cadet
Wii mote? or wii mote + nunchuck?

and u'll never get better with kirby if u don't get over this tilt factor

Plu-e

Smash Cadet

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Switching to the gamecube controller after months of playing will probably screw me cuz I'm so used to the controls of the Wii Remote.
Trust me! Switch to Gamecube controller ASAP. I used to play with Wiimote+Nunchuk. It really limits your gameplay. I used to tilt with the Nunchuk and only beable to tilt when I wanted to 1/50 times. When I tilted with the GC controller is was sooo much easier. I seriously recommend switching. Oh btw, it won't screw you over. In fact switching to the GC controller improved my game after switching.(Only took about a week to get used to it.)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Trust me! Switch to Gamecube controller ASAP. I used to play with Wiimote+Nunchuk. It really limits your gameplay. I used to tilt with the Nunchuk and only beable to tilt when I wanted to 1/50 times. When I tilted with the GC controller is was sooo much easier.
I was wondering what was so hard about tilting at first, until I remembered that solo Wiimote uses the D-pad instead of a stick.

EPIC FAIL D:

If you don't want to use the Gamecube Controller, at least use Wiimote+Nunchuk or the Classic Controller. You have so much more control with a stick than a mega-outdated pad.

And Kirby's tilts are extremely important...especially uptilt. spotdodge->uptilt is extremely useful...uptilt is good for clashing with attacks...it comboes well...etc.

I'll watch the matches tomorrow >_>

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I use the Wii Remote by itself, and it's nearly impossible to do u-tilts with that type of control scheme. But, I was thinking about switching anyway to do tilts, and tilts ARE a big part of Kirby's game...so, gamecube controller, Ima start using you...

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Yeah, I use the Wii Remote by itself, and it's nearly impossible to do u-tilts with that type of control scheme. But, I was thinking about switching anyway to do tilts, and tilts ARE a big part of Kirby's game...so, gamecube controller, Ima start using you...
*claps*

Seriously. I tried out playing the wiimote when I first got brawl and I'm like "This is like the controller on my super nintendo. WTF?" I had to use wiimote + nunchuck for 2 days or something before my GC controller came (I never owned melee, and I always used one of my friend's controllers. He was the only person I knew who had it). Beer flowed like honey when I got the GC controller There was much rejoicing when I got a gc controller. And it's platinum! Only problem with it now is that it's B and Y buttons (coincidentally, the buttons I use for my b-moves) are jammed. Also, it's pretty hard to do a reverse utilt for gonzo comboes. But it's still awesomerific.

el-retardo

Smash Rookie
im quite new with this game so im gonna ask this question - wtf is Utilt,bair and soo on? ._.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh boy... Wiimote + Nunchuck is pretty bad, but at least it's still playable... Go get yourself a GC controller now. Just going to say, if you ever show up with a wiimote to a tourny and do mare than turn on your game with it, you will be laughed at (I think... I'd laugh, but I'm an ***).

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy... Wiimote + Nunchuck is pretty bad, but at least it's still playable... Go get yourself a GC controller now. Just going to say, if you ever show up with a wiimote to a tourny and do mare than turn on your game with it, you will be laughed at (I think... I'd laugh, but I'm an ***).
I use the GC controller now, and I used to use the Wii Remote by itself, not with Nunchuck. I went to an IRL Tourney with the Wii Remote, and I placed pretty well, and no one laughed.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's impressive! To play with that thing by itself says something. To play WELL with it is even better. I'll watch/critique the videos later. I'm starving right now.

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
Its generally unsafe to use final cutter onstage... Even if it worked in that particular match... you'll get punished badly if it becomes a habit. Jab also stinks as well.

This isn't really kirby critique, but practice edgeguarding. :p You could've edgehogged falcon many times, but you just... stood there. And the times when you attempted to edgeguard, you just tried a dair. This isn't 64, kirby's dair doesnt spike well at all. Also the first match, when Falcon was above you, 90% of the time he attempted a dair... and succeded... prediction plz!

I understand its Wi-Fi and gay stuff happens, but... yeah. Pretty solid kirby. :)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
From watching this, yes, you've improved (no sarcasm).

First Match:

- :57; no edgehog?

- 1:33; Again?

- When you fthrow>uaired>fthrow>____, a lot, I would've done an air hammer.

- Nice tilt usage.

- Not enough grabs.

- Your stone was predictable (and punishable). Wait until you're absolutely sure that it'll it.

Second Match:

- See my critique on the first match about your fthrow>uair>fthrow stuff.

- 4:45; pure PWNAGE. Nice. *thumbs-up sign* (no sarcasm)

- That (failed) kirbycide at 4:56; why?

- No pummeling?

- 5:21-5:31; he got his *** handed to him on a silver platter. Nice job (again, no sarcasm).

- If you hadn't used stone at 5:30, I would've screamed.

- 5:41; I think we call that PURE AWESOMENESS.

Third Match:

- No eating him? Fireballs would've been good to stop his annoying-*** tornado thing. Or do they not work? I don't know... so, meh.

- At 7:09, you daired him, you dtilted. I would've fsmashed.

- You only turned your back to him to bair. Try to mix it up.

- At the very end of the last match, where you knew you were about to win, I would've dropped down and kirbycided, just to show off. But meh.

You've really improved. All you really needed to work on in all of those matches was grabbing and pummeling more.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Two tourneys ago I lost to a Kirby in pools 1-2 because I underestimated him because he was using wiimote+nunchuk. I won't make that mistake again.
This isn't 64, kirby's dair doesnt spike well at all.
Whatchewtalkinbout? Not Dairing a Falcon that's trying to recover? THAT is crazy.

I haven't watched the match, but despite Dair's startup lag, it is very good for gimping, I use it all the time.

Smash 64 Kirby was a beast though ^_^
an UNSTOPPABLE WRECKING MACHINE

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Trade in those Vulcan jabs for Dash Attacks.

Excellent spacing and timing with your hammerer.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I beg to differ. Kirby's dair is what helps me spike people, especially considering it links to footstools perfectly. I'm even practicing on how to jab-loc using dairs to KO heavy characters at low percents.

If anything, the attack is a blessing, and I'm experimenting with it as much as possible!

I'll check the vids out once I get my hands off this mobile device and onto a PC...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'll edit this post once I actually watch the video (which I'm going to do this time!), but this made me sad:

Jab also stinks as well.
That makes me a sad panda... Jab is awesome if used right.

Also, Dair is probably Kirby's best gimping tool. Not only does it spike (granted, it's not a strong spike, but a spike nonetheless), but you can also footstool out of it AND if you think your opponent won't know to DI up, you can attemtpt to fastfall it to bring them much much lower to where a character like Falcon truly has no chance of recovering.

Edit: Crap, I actually don't have time today... guess I lied... sorry...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I finally got around to watching these...

Look over what the others have said, they are generally correct (unless they tell you Dair and Jab suck). Here's the few things I have to add:

-Rising Nair?! *In Darth Vader's voice* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!.........
If shielded, that move takes so long that the opponent has enough time to manhandle you however they wish. Since it autocancels, it is good when fastfalled into the ground, but NEVER rise with it.

-When you see Falcon Raptor Boost, just shield it. He gets a lot of lag for hitting shields, which gives you a free anything you want (except maybe grounded hammer, though you might even have enough time for that.).

-That Falcon makes me weep...

-Dair Falcon when he tries to recover. Dair ***** his recovery.

-Try Ftilt or Dtilt (Or a smash) after a FFed Fair. Utilt takes longer since the hitbox comes out in the back first.

-Speaking of which, I don't remember if you did it in the newer video or not, but when the enemy is at your back, rather than rolling through them, just Utilt. It's great for striking enemies behind you and can follow into a Bair.

-Try not to land FC onstage when you're close to your opponent. If shielded, it can be punished pretty harshly due to the ending lag.

-Dsmash can be pretty good, but watch out when you use it and try not to use it too much. It has nasty ending lag.

-Awesome stone edgeguard. Hell, game 2 in and of itself was just ****.

-You need to perfect the Gonzo combo and it's variations. 2x throw>Utilt + Fsmash doesn't really work much anymore. (Edit: Just realized you did it right in the 3rd match. )

That's all for now. There were probably other things I wanted to point out, but there are other things requiring my attention atm (wow, I make myself sound so important... Don't be fooled!).

Top Bottom