• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Fox

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Finally I got my main down to a character I think I wouldn't mind relying on and its Fox McCloud! so here is my Fox tell me how I did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLI66XxouSo
thanks for watching:bee:

EDIT: I am looking for some people who have a camera to record my matches since I dont have one if you would like to record my matches post here or PM me.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well it certainly was entertaining:). I've gotta be honest, your probably the only Fox user in the world that doesn't upsmash. I don't think I seen you upsmash once. Really try to incorporate usmash into your game, use it out of a run to punish mistakesor you can just use it out of dair at higher percentages.

You actually did space yourself decently, I saw you using SHDL's and you kept reseting the spacing with illusion.

Your ok but if you want to get better as a Fox player, your going to need to use upsmash. I would write some more but i'm really tired right now.

_X_

Smash Lord
Dude, what happened at around 1.08?

Did you tech the under the stage :| ???

You're alright, but a few things you need to stop doing.

Rolling so much: I saw you get punished for it a few times >_>

Side-B approach: It fails, that is all.

About upsmashing: I'm not too sure about how much one should upsmash or not, but I didn't see any really good chances for you to use it (the only somewhat notable one was where you dair'd at high percent but you landed facing the wrong way so dsmash was a better option).

Anyway, you're fine, just keep at it.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
@marsulas
I couldn't find any openings for a U-Smash

@X
Yep I teched it XD
Ok so I shouldn't roll alot and use SH illusion thanks for telling.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Definitely too much rolling, and don't listen to X about side b. You didn't approach with it you reset the match with it and took advantage of ganon's slowness and gheyed him with blasters, just how it should be done imo.

RPK

Smash Lord
Well, I believe illusion shouldnt be done except for recovery because those who know how, will punish you for it each and every time...

Zhamy

Smash Champion
No, he had the right timing on the SideB. It was used just enough to not be predictable, but as a good way to reset spacing.

A large part of playing a match is judging your opponent - if he can pull it off against his opponent, then why not?

I couldn't find any openings for a U-Smash
What? You had a drill on Ganondorf at 100+ percent - no harm in trying an Usmash.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
against the great behemoth that is Ganondorf, U-smash won't get you much, The B-air that you did off the edge is, in many cases, easier to kill Ganon with than U-smash. But really, stop rolling so much, the spot-dodge will grant you far more and better openings.

For those who say illusion is useless, It is possible to combo with it. especially for a high-percent kill setup:

Jump+Shine->illusion->U-Smash
F-tilt->Jump+Illusion->U-Smash
F-throw->Jump+Illusion->U-Smash
Even B-throw-> Jump+Illusion-> U-Smash

If you space/time it right, the last part of the Illusion dash will knock your opponent forward lightly just over your head as you prepare a U-Smash for the kill. It has to be a Shot-hopped Illusion to negate some of the lag. The usual F-tilt follow-ups don't work at high percentages, and most people don't expect an illusion dash to be used offensively.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
against the great behemoth that is Ganondorf, U-smash won't get you much, The B-air that you did off the edge is, in many cases, easier to kill Ganon with than U-smash. But really, stop rolling so much, the spot-dodge will grant you far more and better openings.

For those who say illusion is useless, It is possible to combo with it. especially for a high-percent kill setup:

If you space/time it right, the last part of the Illusion dash will knock your opponent forward lightly just over your head as you prepare a U-Smash for the kill. It has to be a Shot-hopped Illusion to negate some of the lag. The usual F-tilt follow-ups don't work at high percentages, and most people don't expect an illusion dash to be used offensively.
sigh...none of those are combos...

The risk to reward ratio of illusion is really bad.... you can get wrecked for using the move... it doesn't officially combo with anything... they can AD or sometimes even attack you out of any follow-up you have... and if they roll around it, they get a free hit against one of the lightest chars... Esp against ganon...

Usmash kills Ganon around 110ish anyway....not a bad option... Not to mention you can shield usmash almost everything he has...

Rolls are usually a bad idea...as are spot dodges... anything they can predict and punish is bad.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Rolling isn't a bad thing, just using it as a primary form of movement is. Nice video, listen to what people said about up-smash, it's a very good move. I liked that you actually had a use for Fox Illusion.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Upsmash is easily Fox's greatest weapon, especially on characters with laggy attacks like Ganon, you should be punishing them hard with upsmash. Usmash kills pretty much every character in this game below 120% if you haven't diminished it. How on Earth can you be a Fox user and say usmash won't get you much? That completely made no sense.

If your opponent is at 100% and you haven't diminished the usmash, you should always be looking to land one, doesn't matter who your playing. Now of course Ganon sucks in this game and bair and shine spikes will be killing him with ease, but usmash is in no way useless.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm after reading about U-smashing from basically everyone what is a good way to set up for it? I mostly just hyphen smash and pray that it hits.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Hmmm after reading about U-smashing from basically everyone what is a good way to set up for it? I mostly just hyphen smash and pray that it hits.
- Wait for an attack, shield, then JCU-smash.
- Intercept while they are falling towards the ground.
- Recklessly charge in and slide U-smash/just U-smash.
- Use one after a D-air.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
- Wait for an attack, shield, then JCU-smash.
- Intercept while they are falling towards the ground.
- Recklessly charge in and slide U-smash/just U-smash.
- Use one after a D-air.
ok just to make sure JCU means jump canceled up-smash correct?
and thanks for the information

BTW are there any good vids of fox matches? I want to learn from them and are there any guides too?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Check out the fox user manual, it's pretty in depth. There is really not much out there for videos.......Fenrir has a couple vids, lucien has a couple vids but we really need a video thread.

Another thing about the upsmash. It combos from dair only at higher percentages and only if they trip, this is probably the safest way to use it, usmash out of shield is pretty good too. I would advise you not to use running upsmashes unless your opponent landed from a laggy move and you're sure it will hit.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Check out the fox user manual, it's pretty in depth. There is really not much out there for videos.......Fenrir has a couple vids, lucien has a couple vids but we really need a video thread.

Another thing about the upsmash. It combos from dair only at higher percentages and only if they trip, this is probably the safest way to use it, usmash out of shield is pretty good too. I would advise you not to use running upsmashes unless your opponent landed from a laggy move and you're sure it will hit.
Ok thanks for the info.

Zephil

Smash Ace
Usmash for fox is as important as it is the knee of justice to falcon or the Fair to marth... of course is a bad idea to abuse of it but definitely is a priority for fox as it is his main killing technique... btw is his fastest smash.. I think is faster than Fsmash and even faster than the Dsmash I think... sorry if I am mistaken

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
To be honest, Fox isn't an icnredibely indepth character yet,t he guides will tell you what you need. As for videos, there are a coupe people, me included, working on getting some footage to put together a combo video/montage

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
never use a wi-fi match to rate anything. especially your self. play at a local tourney and have them record something then post it
Well I dont ever have the free time for offline tourneys because of school and work so this was the best I could do......sorry.

kriatevPit

Smash Cadet
not always teh best idea... sure sometimes it works but its usually best after a dair or when you know it is goin to hit your opponent. use it wisely cus if you lose power on that then you best kill move kinda goes down the drain

Top Bottom