• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Falcon Thread

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
lol i never knew what frame it comes out of. i suppose i always hit the person at the ending frames of when the hitbox is out.

regardless, i just don't like that move because i see others and myself simply fail to connect the attack. its really obvious, and i wouldn't suggest using it again and again and again to simply miss and get punished.

if you can pull it off, then...well, good for you. but if not, then don't try it all the time if your goal in that match is to win. if you constantly miss with the move cause its easy to read, then trying it again is taking a risk. taking risks with falcon isn't smart.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Darx, dash attack is an amazing move but it is a punisher. It musn't be used when there's nothing to punish (aka the opponent is in a neutral position), but other than that it's awesome.

It's mostly its range+speed+lingering hitbox combination that makes it good to punish bad spacing decisions (like retreating SH when too close).

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I suppose I still play how I want to, and never got around to using it. I always punish people with other options because I always find them better than DA. On top of that, I am not someone who rushes into things. Instead of running or dashing, I walk. I space. I simply don't like moves that drastically transport you from one location to the next, besides raptor boost, which I'm still careful with for obvious reasons.

Hm, damn.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I finally have some decent(-ly good and recent) moves to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGK_LmVxS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ocBxhE6Xo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvIiVaf9zY

Friendlies. Warning: tl;dr. If you want to see me at my best just watch the last video.

And yes, I'm aware that my playstyle is so flawed that it's not even funny. So many mistakes :/
That last link was pretty sexy. Nair seems to be pretty good against Bowser in the air, i'll keep that in mind.

Needs some pivot grabs, but ery nice stuff, Big L =) Oh, and i only clicked the last link because you told me to, looool.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yes, Bowser can be juggled very easily. Nair is really effective against it.

And what do you mean, pivot grab? I always thought Falcon's pivot grab sucked balls.

@P3:
Ikr?! But it's just because it's really good against bowser. I shouldn't use it so much against everyone else, though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
His pivot grab can sliiiiiiiiiiiide. But it's slow as hell.
The distance you cover with it kind of makes up for its 16 frame start up.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
His pivot grab can sliiiiiiiiiiiide. But it's slow as hell.
The distance you cover with it kind of makes up for its 16 frame start up.
This. Pivot Grab may be slow as hell but that certainly doesn't mean it's not bad for reading rolls, or Falcon Kicks / Raptor Boosts, etc. Once you get used to the slow start-up, the boosted range comes in handy.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Good match, putting in the char specific section.

Stop spotdodging so much. You also seemed to get airdodge baited quite a bit, just remember we have one of the worst ADs in the game. Try to play just a tad more patient, you shouldn't be running into that much ****, especially when ROB has slow *** aerials (other than fair obv).

I was pleased with your usage of uair.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
lordhelmet I really wanted to know your opinion on my vids, lol.

Oh, and okay, I'll try to use pivot grab more... but I honestly don't like using it.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
lordhelmet I really wanted to know your opinion on my vids, lol.

Oh, and okay, I'll try to use pivot grab more... but I honestly don't like using it.
I'll get to you, chill.

Against Yoshi... why were you spamming fsmash? Stick with FH Nair or something to punish. Relax on the rolling, too. Don't use Aerial FK regularly, it blows. You're being way too aggressive and not paying attention to your zoning or spacing much. When you're at KO %, be careful and stay away from any spots Yoshi can KO you at (especially usmash).

Good SDI against Zelda lol. You seem to be playing much more focused this match.

You seem to have a bad autopiloting problem. Just stay focused. Pay attention to what moves you're doing and pick better options. Relax on the rolling because better players will **** you HARD for that. Work on your zoning because you seem to put yourself in bad positions and let yourself get KO'd without making your opponent have work for it.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks man, you're right about mostly everything. Specially about my auto-pilot, that's even the EXACT term I use when I describe that problem to my smash-mates. I need to consciously control my agressiveness and be more patient (it's hard to do it when you're as hot blooded in gaming as I am, heh).

I need to bait more often, too. Captain Falcon can bait so easily, and then punish, but I always forget about it :p

Oh, and about aerial FK... you're right, lol see 5:36 of the third vid.

PS: the reason I got better between matches wasn't because of the match-up, it's because I was warming up. Still doesn't excuse my lame moves, though.

Killua

Smash Cadet
NNID
kilucru
Good match, putting in the char specific section.

Stop spotdodging so much. You also seemed to get airdodge baited quite a bit, just remember we have one of the worst ADs in the game. Try to play just a tad more patient, you shouldn't be running into that much ****, especially when ROB has slow *** aerials (other than fair obv).

I was pleased with your usage of uair.

Thanks man :)

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Been a while.
This is a video of me vs Nike, a very good Marth I faced at MLG Dallas.
His Marth is legit and he even knocked Denti's Olimar out of MLG Bracket.

This is a tournament before MLG Dallas so rate and give some advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNo4tGvWnAo

The first two stocks, I got ***** hardcore. One tipper at 76 percent and a early gimp, but I was coming back. The last kill he got off me, I got a call and I needed to go somewhere so I let him Fsmash me on the edge of the platform.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Instead of those ledge hop falcon kicks might I suggest using drop down upairs instead. It's harder for marth to punish and it auto snaps back to the ledge afterward.

Killua

Smash Cadet
NNID
kilucru
At 00:10 drop the ledge and aua, you have inviciliby frame and you beat his second jump. Try to stall when you think you are blocked on the ledge. with perfect shield you can punish afa by uair. use a lot jab jab shield and punish marth react at the beginning after you can use more jab jab grab. If marth have less than 25% and he upb try to punish with ada(try in training to see the effect my english is very bad to explain this). Try use fthrow against Marth and to a dash shield, punish his react it's easy to do and that work even on a very good marth like Leon.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Keeping with what Killua said: F-throw -> buffered dash grab -> f-throw -> repeat as possible is a pseudo combo, iirc. I (try) to do it all the time, I usually get 2 throws, and then an Uair.

Speaking of that, yeah more uair, and watch out for Falcon Kick used like that. It CAN be painful, but it's way too risky to be used all the time.

PS: love your avatar, man. :D

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
At 00:10 drop the ledge and aua, you have inviciliby frame and you beat his second jump. Try to stall when you think you are blocked on the ledge. with perfect shield you can punish afa by uair. use a lot jab jab shield and punish marth react at the beginning after you can use more jab jab grab. If marth have less than 25% and he upb try to punish with ada(try in training to see the effect my english is very bad to explain this). Try use fthrow against Marth and to a dash shield, punish his react it's easy to do and that work even on a very good marth like Leon.
I see what your saying. I could of jabbed a lot more, shield and wait for a reaction to see his habits, but I don't get to play a lot of good Marth players besides RoyR (well when he was active lol), Rain (RGV). It was a learning experience that has helped me now with Marth players.

Keeping with what Killua said: F-throw -> buffered dash grab -> f-throw -> repeat as possible is a pseudo combo, iirc. I (try) to do it all the time, I usually get 2 throws, and then an Uair.

Speaking of that, yeah more uair, and watch out for Falcon Kick used like that. It CAN be painful, but it's way too risky to be used all the time.

PS: love your avatar, man. :D
Uair is like most of my moveset right now. I don't use Falcon kick a lot either unless it's against olimar and I need to kill pikmin and get somewhat close (even if it's dangerous)....but Denti knows me to a teeth and he'll figure out fast what i'm trying to do.

Thanks BigLord.
This avatar f'ing rocks :D
When I saw it, I had to save it and use it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Truth.
And I counted : 1 Uair during the whole match. Dayum.

Else Killua nailed it, abuse jab because Marth's main option is DS, and if DS is shielded (jab jab shield) it's at least a free Dsmash.
If Marth SDIs the jabs away usually it's a free dashgrab.
Bair is also an amazing move against Marth, abuse it. Then dash more, the more you're into Marth's range the more uncomfortable it is for him.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Multi-hit moves against Marth aren't always the best idea :/

Lots of uair and utilt, raptor boost is a viable option IMO. Falcon Kick is great at higher percents.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Double post
My MM against Yami are up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkx9vwhm_rI
I was a bit rusty but Yami is too good.
You seemed to let yourself get ***** by "forgetting" to DI. Then you got forced to land on the stage and eat an fair every time.

Try jab -> grab instead of jab -> jab because you kept getting naired. Work on your zoning and somehow try to keep Peach above you and punish dair cooldown or her horrible AD.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
What lordhelmet said. Jab -> grab is **** on almost everyone. Also, try mixing up your game. You kept using the same moves over and over. Use more nair! :D

Also, the first kill was hilarious, hahaha.

PS: your playstyle is quite similar to mine, though... Someday I'll travel to Paris and we'll have a ditto ;)

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Denti that looked waaaay too easy for it to be serious, lol Vs an Olimar? And also, it was Wi-Fi :p

What psychoace is true, though

Top Bottom