• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

splat

Smash Lord
Paper Mario
  • Likelihood - 1.8 / 5
    In all honesty, I don't think Paper Mario has too much of a shot. I think characters as Toad, Daisy, Waluigi and Bowser Jr. have an edge over him by popular demand (though that last character might be bias). I wouldn't wipe him out completely though, as two/three of those characters are mainly used in Mario spin-offs and may not be considered important enough as a result. On top of that, Paper Mario's dimension flipping abilities may make him original enough for Sakurai.
  • Want - 0 / 5
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Paper Mario games, but I just don't like the same character being represented twice. I know people argue that Paper Mario is not the Mario we know, but in my eyes Mario is Mario. This argument is used even more so for the various Links, who stem from different periods in the Zelda timeline, but I dislike that choice on Sakurai's part as well. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have seen Young Link, Toon Link or Doc - original characters, not original incarnations should have the priority.

Yoshimitsu
  • Prediction - 0.33 / 5
    Pac-man's appearance in the Mario Kart Arcade games make me think Pac-man would be first on the list of Namco Bandai's characters.

Nominations
  • Tingle x3
  • Kamek x2

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Want: 4.0
Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time, and I love the other two games as well, so I do like the idea of Paper Mario getting in. At the same time, I just want Toad and Bowser Jr. more.
His chances are very questionable. Bowser Jr. and Toad seem like the two most likely candidates in my eyes. The third most likely is up for debate, but, just like the two previously mentioned characters, he still has the likely chance of us not getting Mario rep at all to deal with. True, he could represent his own series, but I still think that doesn't get away from the "may not be getting a new Mario rep" argument. Likelhood: 2.3

Prediction: 0.41

Nominations: Ganondorf x5

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Paper Mario is a interesting idea and could represent the Paper Mario series. I am a bit hesitant due to just being a different version of Mario. However, she has the ability to be unique if Sakurai and his team work hard on him. He could also be a complete clone much like Toon Link. In the end, I'd rather have Bowser Jr., Toad, or Rosalina over Paper Mario.

Want: 2.95
Likeliness: 2.05

Yoshimitsu's Prediction: .33

Nomies:
Baby Mario and Luigi x2
Andy x2
Sheriff x1

:phone:

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
PAPER MARIO!
want: 5
paper mario is a pretty cool character and brings alot different to the game, a roster could easily be made out of his extensive collection of badges or even partners.
Likeliness: 2
I don't think i need to elaborate on this it seems to be a pretty run-of-the-mill score.

prediction: 0.19

Nominations:
Demise (as alt. costume for Gannon) [this is allowed correct?] x5

D

Deleted member

Wait, what? When did he do this?
This was back in pre-Melee time when someone requested a Dr. Mario costume for Mario, in which Sakurai replied that it wouldn't make sense for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Paper Mario.
Want = 1
Likelihood = 1.5

First of all, I absolutely loved the original Paper Mario game and the Thousand-Year Door sequel. Paper Mario could theortically be an unique character apart from Mario, yes, but the fact he is still Mario turns me away. I want a new Mario character who isn't a derivative of an existing Mario character already in Smash. That means no characters who are too similar to Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario. I want a new Mario character who is aesthetically unique.

As for his likelihood, I cannot deny his popularity with Smash fans. But would Sakurai add Paper Mario? That is up for debate. I mean, Mr. Game & Watch has a 3D model but was flattened to give a 2D appearance. At least he has a simple design that even a child with no creative imagination can come up with. How are they going to make a proper 3D model for Paper Mario that can be flattened to give him the 2D appearance (that actually looks like Paper Mario instead of just a flattened Mario)? It just seems like too much work for a character that I think Sakurai would rather work with characters who have basic body types that are appropriate (and easier to work with) for Smash.

Nominations = Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, Tingle, King Hippo, Medusa

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This was back in pre-Melee time when someone requested a Dr. Mario costume for Mario, in which Sakurai replied that it wouldn't make sense for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs.
...wuh? But he's Mario....and Mario shoots fireballs...I still don't get it.

pre-Melee? That explains why I didn't hear anything about that.

D

Deleted member

...wuh? But he's Mario....and Mario shoots fireballs...I still don't get it.

pre-Melee? That explains why I didn't hear anything about that.
Prior to the upcoming 3DS game in which he now does, would it make sense for Paper Mario to shoot fireballs in Smash despite the fact that he is Mario?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Prior to the upcoming 3DS game in which he now does, would it make sense for Paper Mario to shoot fireballs in Smash despite the fact that he is Mario?
Well, he did use a Fire Flower item even if he didn't shoot them himself, so it wouldn't be unthinkable.

And, going back to the doctor thing, the Fireballs could be asthetically changed to be pills.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Man I'm getting a headache...

About Dr.Mario , it's nonsense to him shot fireballs since his main weapons are Megavitamins. Also, Dr.Mario never used a fireball. Maybe this is the point of view of Sakurai.

About Paper Mario, it will make sense for him to shoot fireballs, like GoldenYuiitusin said, he have this ability in the new game.

Edit: Dr. Mario article in MarioWiki

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Scumbag Sakurai: Doesn't like the idea of Dr. Mario using fireballs...Gives Ganondorf has his current moveset :troll:.

Whether or not Paper Mario can use fireballs (or, more obscurely, a cape or FLUDD) is not what would prevent him from being a clone, but his very paper nature itself. While Mario is constantly spinning and twisting around acrobatically to attack, Paper Mario can't create the same attack hitboxes because his bending, foldable body simply will not allow it.

D

Deleted member

Well, he did use a Fire Flower item even if he didn't shoot them himself, so it wouldn't be unthinkable.

And, going back to the doctor thing, the Fireballs could be asthetically changed to be pills.
He didn't use the Fire Flowers to turn into Fire Mario until the 3DS game. That's why I said "prior to the upcoming 3DS game".
Instead, they were used as weapons, you know, like in Smash.

Also, fireballs =/= pills. This is the main beef I have with people that say Doc should just be a costume; they don't understand that it's not as simple as that. The pills have different properties to the fireballs in that they bounce instead of falling limp to the ground and they do 2% more damage.
Dr. Mario has a lot of differences with his moves from Mario that ultimately give him a different feel to Mario, despite the fact that they are cloned.
Making him only aesthetically different is not playing as Dr. Mario; it's playing as Mario in a lab coat. (And before you make a smartass remark that Dr. Mario IS Mario in a lab coat, you know what I mean by that; gameplay)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He didn't use the Fire Flowers to turn into Fire Mario until the 3DS game. That's why I said "prior to the upcoming 3DS game".
Instead, they were used as weapons, you know, like in Smash.
I knew that, I thought I made that clear.

Also, fireballs =/= pills. This is the main beef I have with people that say Doc should just be a costume; they don't understand that it's not as simple as that. The pills have different properties to the fireballs in that they bounce instead of falling limp to the ground and they do 2% more damage.
I understand that, I was just saying that if Mario got a Doc alt and people really had a problem with him shooting fireballs, they could simply switch the model/sprite/whatever of the fireball to one of Doc's pills.

Dr. Mario has a lot of differences with his moves from Mario that ultimately give him a different feel to Mario, despite the fact that they are cloned.
Making him only aesthetically different is not playing as Dr. Mario; it's playing as Mario in a lab coat. (And before you make a smartass remark that Dr. Mario IS Mario in a lab coat, you know what I mean by that; gameplay)
I should remind you that Doc is my Melee main, so yes, I get that he's not the same as Mario.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Paper Mario, first of all, I love this character, I don't even consider him like Mario.

Want - 5
Likelyhood - 2.8

He has a new game coming, and from what I know he's a little popular.

I'd like to see him utilize his partners for some attacks, Bow could make him transparent, making him sidedodge or counterattack if hit.

SOMETHING could easily be made, something great and unique.

I really hope he makes it to smash someday.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nominations

ROB x5

Voting & Discussing

Paper Mario

Personal Bias: 3.22
Likelihood: 2.38

I'm kinda lazy today so I'm just gonna say that I like Paper Mario & what he could bring as a fighter. Paper Mario has his own popular series so he definitely is a contender for Smash. He has competition with Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, & perhaps Rosalina. The Mario possibles are all almost neck & neck in my opinion & any of them could show up. It is still possible that we won't get a Mario newcomer.

Jr. & Toad are a bit ahead of him though.

Prediction

Yoshimitsu: 0.47

D

Deleted member

Paper Mario was a day full of steam rolls. He was ripped to shreds by the detractors, only to be put back to pieces by supporters. It was non-stop for the day with no end appearing.

Paper Mario had just been glued by one of his biggest supporters when the announcer announced that Paper Mario's day had ended. Bruised all over, Paper Mario slowly limp to look at his score. He didn't do very well, scoring a 2.28 in likelihood and a 2.88 in want, much to his disappointment. He then saw numerous enemies coming his way and he quickly ran to the nearest exit. Opossum intensely studied what he thought Paper Mario's final score would be and once again, proved his studies were the closest and was awarded five extra nominations for it.

As Paper Mario ran to escape the Bomb-ombs that were going to explode on impact, the wind of third-parties returned to the scene, this time from a third-party fighting game.

It was also the first time when the character wasn't the main character from the series, but nevertheless, a few fans kept begging for him. His name was Yoshimitsu and he wanted to be the Tekken representative, assuming of course one even came.

Things started to get very interesting as the audience debated his worthiness.

Day Thirty-Three has began! Today, you will be voting for Yoshimitsu while predicting what Skull Kid receives tomorrow.

Also important is that King K. Rool is now eligible for re-voting. In order for him to be re-voted, he must have 100 nominations. However, you do not get five nominations purely for re-voting characters, rather you must use one of the five nominations you already have. Also, a character being re-voted does not take over that of another character, just compliments it.

Day ends at 8:30 PM CST.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Yoshimitsu is also a Soul Calibur characters, which is why he has the support he does (He represents BOTH of Namco's fighting game series). You should note that

Want: 4
Namu namu namu namu
Likely: 2.2
If there is a Tekken or Soul Calibur rep, Yoshimitsu is pretty likely, due to representing both series. He also acts like he belongs in Smash Bros, with a comical moveset that directly laughs in the face of physics (including something that function as a recovery), something most other Tekken characters can't really claim.

Nominate Lucina x5

D

Deleted member

0 for want.

I don't want any Namco Bandai reps in Smash, period. If we absolutely must have one, let it be Pac-Man. Every other choice I am against.

I will also give a 0 in likelihood.

There really isn't any reason to expect a Tekken/Soul Calibur reps, given that Namco is leaving this series up to Sakurai to decide whenever or not it should get on. I also see no reason why Sakurai would make a move to get Tekken/Soul Calibur's characters as well, since there isn't much fan demand for one.

Nominate Ghirahim, Geno, Lucario, Mii, and Mach Rider.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yoshimitsu

Want: 0
People are just "wanting" him because the Tekken series director is helping out with the game. While I'm not against any Namco characters, Tekken/Soul Calibur have no business in SSB.

For the record, my most wanted Namco character(in descending order) are: Lloyd, then Kalas(assuming he's owned by Namco), then Pac-Man.

Likelihood: 1
Lloyd and Pac-Man are far more likely as potential Namco reps IMHO. But who knows.

Predict 2 for Skull Kid.

Nominate Doctor Mario x5.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Yoshimitsu
Want: 00000000000000000000
Likelihood: 000000000000000000
Naum naum naum naum! - this is a cute form to say NO in my language

Man! I'm being realist! He has no chances! What people think? That Smash is turning in a Namco only game? It's doesn't matter if Namco is making the game! It's Sakurai that decides chacacters! Also, I never accept a Soulcalibur chacacter taking a chance of a good one from Nintendo itself. The only ones that have a really and VERY VERY SMALL chance is Pac man, Lloiyd and maybe Kazuya from Tekken, and from those I only approves Lloyd! (I'm not shy anymore)

Also...
I predict a score of 2.06 for Skull Kid
Nominations: Olimar x5

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yoshimitsu:

While I like the character, I don't see him as a likely Namco rep. Pac Man seems to be a widely agreed representative. As well, I am 90% certain Sakurai and Nintendo will limit the amount of 3rd party characters to one per company. Yoshimitsu does represent both the Tekken and Soul Caliber series. However, Tekken and SC has only one or two games on a Nintendo system. Additionally, the Tekken producers seem a bit hesitant in adding a Tekken rep. I do recognize that Namco Bandai is trying to bring Tekken to Nintemdo systems such as the Nintendo 3DS but that doesn't heighten the odds if him being playable or a Tekken character for that matter. I would even venture to say that SC has a better chance due to a more established relationship between SC and Nintendo then Tekken does. Additionally, Links inclusion into SCII was widely received and, while fairly unlikely, Nintendo might extend the favor. That's entirely wishful thinking (I'm arguing for a SC rep other than Yoshimitsu). Personally, I'd prefer Mokujin or Kuma as a Tekken rep and Nighmare as the SC rep (since Nightmare constantly appears in SC and the Project SOUL logo). That's just my personal opinion.

It's not entirely guranteed that there will be 3rd party characters; more or less a Namco rep. And if their is a Namco rep, I would put my money on Pac Man.

For Yoshimitsu;
Want: 1.10
Likeliness: .25

Skull Kid's Prediction: 2.3

Nomies:

M. Bison x5

D

Deleted member

Want: 2.5
I'm indifferent on Yoshimitsu. I find him rather interesting, but at teh same time, I'm not sure I would really care for him being in Smash.

Likelihood: 0
Despite repping both Soul Calibur and Tekken, he/they (more than one Yoshimitsu) is not the main character in either series, and the Tekken director doesn't seem too keen on the idea of a Tekken character in Smash anyway.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
5 in want.
Anyone who's played Soul Calibur has gotta love this guy. ( Or Tekken) Namu namu namu!

But he definitely doesn't belong in smash bros. Just saying if they wanted someone from tekken or soul calibur I'd be surprised if they didn't pick him. I can understand people not wanting him as a namco rep, what with all the Pacman hype. Alotta fans for Lloyd too. I have no interest in Lloyd because I never played his game. Yosimitsu has the same problem, being that many nintendo owners haven't played much Tekken or Soul Cal.

Nominations

Dr. Mario x5
(As an alt Costume)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Want: 0.01
I don't want a Tekken character, I don't want a Soulcalibur character, but if we had to get one I would choose Yoshimitsu over some others, which is why he gets a 0.01. It's ironic considering he's one of my favorites in SC, but for Smash I'd prefer he'd stayed out, along with most Namco characters.

Appearing in two series and being the star of neither, Yoshimitsu does not have a chance for Smash. Just because he's in two Namco series does not mean Namco would choose this non-requested and relatively unheard of (compared to other Namco characters) fighter. The chances of a Tekken character are already slim enough, if anything they would go with one of the main characters, not a supporting one.

Nomz:
x3 Marth
x2 Lucario

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
want: 0 Not because i don't like the character because I do. he was always one of my faves in Tekken and Soul Calibur. But no way in hell should he be in smash.
liklihood:0.01
I EXTREMELY doubt Sakurai sees him as the next best 3rd party much less fitting into the smash universe. Secondly he's not even the main character of those series so i see no need to add him. Has he even appeared on a nintendo console? Lets leave the Soul Calibur, Tekken and Street Fighter(throw that in with them) out of smash.

Skull Kid: 2.23
Noms: Geno x5

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People have already given him a 2?????

Yoshimitsu earns a 0 in both likelihood and want from me. I really don't like third parties thrown 'willy-nilly' into Smash, just because. I also very much doubt Yoshimitsu will get in because at this point, only incredibly popular requests or Pacman are likely IMO.

Predicting 1.22 for Skull Kid
Nominate Groose, King Boo x2, Hades x1

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Yoshimitsu was in Soul Calibur 2, which was released on the gamecube with Link as a playable character.

Never saw him in anything else nintendo related.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Likeliness: 0

If we're doubting a Namco rep, there's no way we should be expecting him even if he has the "being in 2 different series" card. Never really liked him in Soul Calibur either, give me Nightmare, Sophitia, or Cassandra instead.

x5 Black Shadow (we're really nearing the edge of the character pool aren't we?)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Yoshimitsu:
Want- 1
Likelihood- 0

I've played Tekken before, he's a pretty cool guy, but, there's no way in hell he's going to get in Smash.
IF we get a Namco rep for Smash, it has to be either Pac-Man or nobody at all.

Prediction for Skull Kid- 2

Nominations
Snake x2
Dr. Mario x2
Marth

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Likeliness: 0.5

He is possible because of Namco-Bandai being involved with development, but I don't necessarily think that Sakurai will choose him. There's too many awesome Nintendo characters available.

Nominations: Lyndis x5.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I feel he would "clash" with the rest of the roster. Kinda like Snake, which, granted, most have gotten used to. But I doubt he would bring funny codecs with him so meh. Never played the games either, so, again, meh.
If we DO get a Namco rep, which is not as likely as most think since Namco is actually being somewhat respectful towards Sakurai and his game, it will be Pac-man, who would at least look like he should be there. 0.01 in likelihood. I don't like giving characters zeros unless they're REALLY wacky.
This isn't very fun when everyone's opinions are basically the same. No wonder there are quite a few veterans that haven't been nominated that much.

Prediction: 1.96

Nominations: Ganondorf x5
I've been dedicated to him for the past few days so I would look silly if I suddenly stopped, despite what I just said.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yoshimitsu?

Want: 0.5 - I'm not really fond of the idea. I mean, I'm sure he can offer a fun and unique moveset, which is a plus, but I feel there are other Namco-Bandai characters that are far more deserving a spot than him. I'd think Heihachi would be a better choice.

Likelihood: 0.5 - Assuming Sakurai wants the whole "1 character per company" thing, with Namco-Bandai being no exception, I don't see Yoshimitsu getting a spot. Even if Namco-Bandai were entitled to more reps for developing the game, I'd say they would go with other characters from different franchises. In the Tekken series, Heihachi, Kazuya and Jin are far more relevant than Yoshimitsu. The most I see for Yoshimitsu is appearing as either an Assist Trophy/Trophy, a Sticker, or maybe both.

Prediction for Skull Kid is 2.5

I nominate Rosalina x5.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I like Yoshimitsu, and I wouldn't mind at all if he was in Smash, but he doesn't really have a chance, sadly.

Want: 3
Likelihood: 1

Nominations: Rosalina x5

D

Deleted member

I can just see the flavor for Yoshimitsu now...
He's going to be so depressed with his score he commits seppuku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom