• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random slightly useless Young link tricks

Oracle

Smash Master
Sorry if these are old. Post ones that you find too.

Boomerang Lag Cancel

you can cancel all lag from aerials with YL's boomerang! Simply time the boomerang so it returns to you during lag, most noticeably Dair lag. While pulling the sword out of the ground, Young link will catch the boomerang, making it much faster than L canceling.

BTW, this is the same mechanic that allows YL to cancel his taunt by catching the boomerang.

Uses: It's really hard to pull off, but if you do, it can be deadly. First of all: Shield pressure. While your opponent is shielding, you can dair their shield so you don't bounce, catch the boomerang to cancel the lag, and then do basically anything else while they are still in shield stun. I would either recommend jab or dsmash so you can go fast enough to where you don't get sheildgrabbed

Chaingrabbing

YL's D throw can chaingrab. Works on a lot of people with certain DI. Young link can airgrab, but the opponent must be very close. Try to aim so they would be grabbed with the handle of the hookshot.

(List pending)
Works on
Fox/Falco- upthrow
Peach- D throw (low percents, have to DI backwards)

Bomb Drop to Catch

You can drop your bombs in midair, fastfall, land, and catch them again! Just press Z to drop them at the peak of your SH, fastfall, and press A as you land to catch it again. No real purpose aside from mindgames

Moonwalk

Young link actually has a decent moonwalk, but as with all moonwalks, it is very difficult to perform,. Basically, the command is to hit forward to start your dash, and then make a small half circle backwards without touching the bottom of the circle around the control stick, and then hold back once you reach it. He slides a decent distance

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
he can airgrab???? go on, go on

what is really fun and too hard to use normally, is you throw the boomerang and then hookshot in air (as an attack) and the boomer makes it so you don't fall after, so you can be like jump, hook, cancel, attack, it's slick looking especially on edgeguard, but risky and stupid at the same time.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
you know you can bomb drop 2 recatch right? well did you know you can short hop throw it, wavedash after it and catch it again? aarosmashguy showed me this last week. i've never seen a y. link do it lol. maybe not new tho.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Did you know you can do a super jump with YL on melee versions 2.0 and 2.1?
Just hookshot on the ledge, catch the boomerang and WHOOOOSH. you fly up into the sky and you can literally rain bombs down.
Thanks Smash Mac.

You can also chain grab fox and falco with up throw.
Thanks Jash.

And for a laijin discovery, I posted this in another thread but its one of YL's prime trump cards. You know how I normally bomb drop d-air for edge guarding? Well....try bomb drop-> d-tilt for the meteor smash. NO ONE EVER SEES IT COMING. IT SURPRISES 10/10 smashers. They may wall tech or meteor cancel, but its not likely. It will likely lead to a free stock for you.

You can infinitely grab bombs and stun them at the opponent as well. Short Hop-> Bomb Drop-> Fast Fall -> Bomb Catch -> Repeat on opponent.

On Pokemon Stadium, you can infinite rapid sword attacks on bigger characters(Think Captain Falcon size and bigger) in the moutain pit and in between the tree. If they don't know YL is capable of this, NO ONE WILL EVER SEE THIS COMING EITHER. Use sparingly. Thats right guys, I just gave you another free stock in a match.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I am interested in this chain grab business. I was unaware.

Laijin, just so you know, I tried to bomb drop to dtilt yesterday, and John teched and bair killed me. it was pretty funny.

When you mean "infinitely" stub with bomb drops, do you mean they cannot escape, or you can keep grabbing bombs? Cause I'm pretty sure they can escape...

rhan

Smash Hero
I had something simularly wierd happen to me. I think I was playing the first version of Melee that was ever out when it happened though.

Well I was recovering and I threw the boomerang. After that I up B'd. Everyone knows how you can't do anything after an up B. Well once I caught the boomerang I was just in the falling state giving me the freedom to up B again. It was wierd and I was never able to pull it off again (As in catch the boomerang upon recovery).

This was probably done by luck on my part or maybe a random glitch that happens almost as often as the phantom hit box. Either way it was pretty awesome to pull off.

Oracle

Smash Master
Well the boomerang cancels lag, but not attacks. So in theory, if you caught the boomerang during the lag frames at the very, very end of his upb, the boomerang animation might cancel the lag.

*goes to test*

Laijin

Smash Hero
I am interested in this chain grab business. I was unaware.

Laijin, just so you know, I tried to bomb drop to dtilt yesterday, and John teched and bair killed me. it was pretty funny.

When you mean "infinitely" stub with bomb drops, do you mean they cannot escape, or you can keep grabbing bombs? Cause I'm pretty sure they can escape...
lol. Well..it USUALLY surprises most people. It worked when I did it against Korean DJ and Mewtwo King...
>__>

Yea they can escape, but the bomb stun keeps them stunned long enough for a free n-air usually.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
If yoshi's island 64 was legal.....

Up throw-> fire spike on the cloud as it goes away
I play that level daily. I'll see if I can't pull something like that for the vid.

I have gotten a dthrow, and in the middle of that throw the cloud disappeared and we fell and nair'd each other (he was sheik or mario I forgot which) so maybe a dair could fit in :D

rhan

Smash Hero
If you're luck yafter the Uair you could get a Utilt if you're on the ground at the time. It's amazing for combo potential and damage.

Also Laijin I'll mail one of my VCR's to you! I need to see a good Young Link in action....It's been killing me inside.....I need someone to cop- I mean....Watch and admire! :D

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
on ledge with bomb

jump z drop grab another bomb

grab edge again

Oracle

Smash Master
We need to find percents for people's dair to fire spike combos. Captain falcon's is around 20

rhan

Smash Hero
My guess would be on stages like Yoshi's Story.

High Hop Dair on the top platform. Short Hop Dair on the two side platforms.

Both are auto flamespikes.

Rykard

Smash Ace
while on the topic of random tricks...

i was messing around on pokemon stadium today and found that if you wave land off either of the platforms so that you slide towards the ledge, you can midair hookshot after the waveland and the lag will automatically be edgecancelled because of your momentum.

it looks pretty cool and you will usually grab the ledge afterwards.

also dealing with how the boomerang can cancel your taunt and stuff, it can also cancel your airdodge animation if you catch it before you go into the helpless state. i dont know any way of consistently doing this but it could be used to give you extra distance during your recovery. i guess that is similar to catching it with the Up-b but im pretty sure this works everytime

rhan

Smash Hero
also dealing with how the boomerang can cancel your taunt and stuff, it can also cancel your airdodge animation if you catch it before you go into the helpless state. i dont know any way of consistently doing this but it could be used to give you extra distance during your recovery. i guess that is similar to catching it with the Up-b but im pretty sure this works everytime
This happened to me once before. Except I was in the helpless state after up B'ing. I only pulled it off once though and it was shocking. I think it only works on the old versions of the game where Link and Young Link can go that Boomerang lift off because since then I haven't been able to recreate it.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
you can upthrow chaingrab captain falcon for a little bit...

not sure about any dthrow chains, I don't really try it... might work on Mario at some point, I feel like I've done it before, but I might be mistaken.

Oracle

Smash Master
It's really specific percents. Not all that useful other than for the element of surprise

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
as far as i know dthrow can chain grab shieks at the right %'s, but i can't remember exactly when.

Metà

Smash Master
Anyone here know the trick on Corneria where you can stay on the guns indefinitely?

Just go to the right side of them, face left, and crouch. Your shield should block everything it does.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
that's pretty cool, never thought of it.

too bad that's not a terrific stage for YLink... well maybe against Samus or Peach? hmm would be a nightmare against Fox

would that count as stalling? get a lead on Fox then stay on the guns? guess so...

Oracle

Smash Master
Oh hello there ness

No it's not technically stalling, the fox can just go down there and try to hit him (without getting hit lol)
It's much worse with ness

Top Bottom