• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ragnell Rising- An Ike Compilation Video

Captain Lutzburg

Smash Rookie
Ragnell Rising is an Ike compilation video highlighting Captain Lutzburg's friendlies and tournament matches from Brawl's release until November of 2008. A lot of editing and music synchronization went into this movie, all of it done by hand using Pinnacle Studio 10 software. The theme of this particular piece was to set a faster, more intense experience than my previous efforts in "Divinatory Influence", a Ness combo video from over the Summer. The opening and closing of the movie are a direct parody of the cartoon "The Venture Brothers", using the shows opening and credit sequences as direct inspiration for the editing used. I am very satisfied with the end result, including the footage, the editing, and the musical selection.

Clips used showed opponents at equal or par experience and skill, and range from crew matches, friendlies, random Wi-Fi, and tournament matches. Quality of the video is very nice, watching in High Quality isn't a must but it will definitely look prettier. As always, The Three Cs- comments, critiques, and criticisms, are always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AzDldSOl4

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Your marth friend falls for a lot of dumb **** >_> or I should say semi-smart **** that I guess exists because he has some pretty terrible habits.

Captain Lutzburg

Smash Rookie
Your marth friend falls for a lot of dumb **** >_> or I should say semi-smart **** that I guess exists because he has some pretty terrible habits.
Yeah Mag has a tendency to react incredibly fast to things before he can really formulate a plan. A lot of times it saves him from some bad situations but sometimes it definitely backfires on him. If you want to cite some examples I'm sure it would help evolve his playstyle. Also it's worth noting that, while a lot of the clips are of his Marth, that is nowhere near his main.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Rolling towards you at all when he's on his back, rolling towards you at all otherwise, attempting to challenge flat out charged haymakers with counter, attempting to challenge you when you're clearly crouching at the ledge.

Wanna make ike feel like a douche, wait. It will work 9 times out of 10 and the ike will look silly. The second he scares you into acting, you die.

The 4 step guide to fighting ike

1) Recover from low and outwards if you can do so. If you have the option to get your *** back on the stage, do it.
2) Never run back towards where you were just aerialed/thrown/whatever the **** from.
3) If you have the choice to, hold your **** shield.
4) Never roll behind ike.

Voila! Aside from jabs, you will never get hit.

Captain Lutzburg

Smash Rookie
Rolling towards you at all when he's on his back, rolling towards you at all otherwise, attempting to challenge flat out charged haymakers with counter, attempting to challenge you when you're clearly crouching at the ledge.

Wanna make ike feel like a douche, wait. It will work 9 times out of 10 and the ike will look silly. The second he scares you into acting, you die.

The 4 step guide to fighting ike

1) Recover from low and outwards if you can do so. If you have the option to get your *** back on the stage, do it.
2) Never run back towards where you were just aerialed/thrown/whatever the **** from.
3) If you have the choice to, hold your **** shield.
4) Never roll behind ike.

Voila! Aside from jabs, you will never get hit.
Ryko speaks the truth. Mag is actually really good at knowing when to hold his shield. Not gonna lie, it pisses me off more often than not. 3 huge hits < tiny red shield lolwut?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
That was pretty good but I've never seen anyone run into an Eruption like that. Seriously, ask your friends to watch this and let them see their mistakes. Not undermining you as a player, just asking your friends to not fall for, what was it that Ryko said "semi-smart ****"?

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah..... Most of this video was just people walking into your charged smash attacks.... D:

Trillion

Smash Ace
I'm the Marth, he's my "secondary" who I don't play nearly enough. Lutzburg was already charging the eruption, he was going to be open as soon as he let it go because he had started it before I had started running. Meaning that it was my move to react to it in any way that I wanted. If the counter had hit, Lutzburg would have taken 41% from the counter alone as well as any follow up attack that I may have been able to land. The fully charged eruption does 37% and marth's counter does 1.1 times the damage of the opponent's attack, which is how I arrive at 41%. I did indeed make a mistake, but the mistake was mistiming how long the eruption took to become fully charged.

As for the rolling into the forward smash, watch very closely and you will see that he started the forward smash at the exact same moment that I inputted the dodge roll. Also, keep in mind that clip was on wi-fi.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Meaning that it was my move to react to it in any way that I wanted.
1) You didn't react to it, you acted.
2) You "reacted" the silliest way possible
3) You could have very well walked into eruption range, seen if it went off, and if not wait out the last possible second then countered if you were that dead set on punishing it that way.
4) Not only can you stand in tipper range without getting hit by the silly thing, you can stand outside of tipper range, walk in and tipper him afterwards if you wanna be smart about it. Ike can fsmash a whiffed eruption, you pretty much had every option in the world and you went with the silliest one.

Trust me on this, ike banks on you acting prematurely, the worst thing one can deal with is a player who is purposefully playing slow.

As for the roll, just never roll towards ike. Never. Not once is it ever a good idea. Just don't.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It's repetitive. It got boring. Your opponents are being "stupid" too for a lack of a better term. Running up to a Ike charging eruption? who does that.

HyuugaMajeh

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to smashboards, and I also main Ike. I saw your video and I have one question in regards to that.

Why is it that you play at "Ike's" normal speed?

Trillion

Smash Ace
1) You didn't react to it, you acted.
2) You "reacted" the silliest way possible
3) You could have very well walked into eruption range, seen if it went off, and if not wait out the last possible second then countered if you were that dead set on punishing it that way.
4) Not only can you stand in tipper range without getting hit by the silly thing, you can stand outside of tipper range, walk in and tipper him afterwards if you wanna be smart about it. Ike can fsmash a whiffed eruption, you pretty much had every option in the world and you went with the silliest one.

Trust me on this, ike banks on you acting prematurely, the worst thing one can deal with is a player who is purposefully playing slow.

As for the roll, just never roll towards ike. Never. Not once is it ever a good idea. Just don't.
I admit that rolling towards him was a very, very bad idea. But I will not concede that landing 41% in a single hit, by countering the eruption was a mistake. It was on wi-fi, therefore hard to time and I thought I could pull it off. Had I done so, it probably would have led to at least one more hit. I could have gotten 50% or more if it had worked. A tipper, would have landed some damage and probably set me up for at least one more hit if it had not killed him, but in terms of % damage, countering the eruption would yield the very best results. Also, if you check the timer in the upper corner, I missed by less than half a second. With Wi-Fi lag considered, I don't think that that is at all bad. So, lining up a forward smash to tip, might have been the better option, I was wanting to try something a little different to see the results.

The Jort

Smash Rookie
So Ryko I just got done watching your combo video.

In a little less than 8 minutes, I saw 18 of your combos end in smashes. There were also quite a few eruption kills.
Lets look at 0:47. There you are charging a f-smash and the marth doesn't try to dodge it. He tries to counter it. He reacted in "the silliest way possible".
1:07. Bowser rolls right into your f-smash because he rolled right toward you.
I saw plenty of more "silly mistakes but I don't feel like naming all of them.

All I'm trying to say is that everyone makes these kind of mistakes so you can't go saying that one prson is really horrible at a character just because they make some simple mistakes.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
In a little less than 8 minutes, I saw 18 of your combos end in smashes. There were also quite a few eruption kills.
Lets look at 0:47. There you are charging a f-smash and the marth doesn't try to dodge it. He tries to counter it. He reacted in "the silliest way possible".
1:07. Bowser rolls right into your f-smash because he rolled right toward you.
I saw plenty of more "silly mistakes but I don't feel like naming all of them.
Wow, how else do you think I'd know what I'm talking about? Literally everyone I play with gets hit by the reverse fsmash once then it stops because they learn, very very very quickly that doing that is going to cost them a stock. However that was baiting them to roll the other way, not just standing there knowing your opponent is going to move dead *** into something. Secondly, the marth had to get back to the stage, and hanging below it for any amount of time from that angle would have just gotten him spiked, as a result, he got trapped.

Holding eruption halfway across the stage away is not a trap.

And you really really really think that you're about to compare that video with mine? You're kidding, right? The only person in that video who gets caught by the same more than once was the fox and the same thing was a dtilt that didn't even happen the same way (first was me spiking his rising fair, something that is not easy nor common, and second was me spiking his recovering illusion, again, not exactly something I can whip out all the time).

The Jort

Smash Rookie
My whole point was that you're not the one who should be criticizing someone's combo video by saying the opponents aren't smart when your own combo video has some of the same stuff.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
My whole point was that you're not the one who should be criticizing someone's combo video by saying the opponents aren't smart when your own combo video has some of the same stuff.
You're missing Ryko's point. Read his post again. Don't all people make mistakes..... and what you're saying is that his opponets should never make mistakes, which that were true these opponets would never get hit in the first place. Reverse Fsmash is useful when reading you're oppoents mind or when you see a mistake happening into the future. <- see what I did there?

Also, combos vids are supposed to HIGHLIGHT your character. So of course you're gonna show some one making dumb decisions.

Yes, I came out of nowhere randomly. Hate me.:)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It has absolutely none of the same stuff lol. Not rolling into someone when theyre dead *** in one direction and you're on your back is like uh, day one. Getting read into an fsmash facing where you're not even standing in relation to the opponent is a completely different matter. Furthermore, there's a difference between aiming a charged fsmash at where someone is and baiting a reaction when they're already there and then charging an fsmash a mile away from someone knowing theyre gonna run face first into it. One is a mindgame, the other is just silly. The closest thing I can even think of to that eruption is when that DK in crimean sonata tried to challenge it with giant punch, and at least that makes sense because Giant punch has super armor too.

Note that none of this has to do with whether lutz is a smart ike or not, either way we can't be entirely sure when people are recovering poorly and gunning for "if you **** this up you die" situations.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
That Marth was pretty funny. I get ****ed up epically too, but ****... You roll into that Ike way too often. :p

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I admit that rolling towards him was a very, very bad idea. But I will not concede that landing 41% in a single hit, by countering the eruption was a mistake. It was on wi-fi, therefore hard to time and I thought I could pull it off. Had I done so, it probably would have led to at least one more hit. I could have gotten 50% or more if it had worked. A tipper, would have landed some damage and probably set me up for at least one more hit if it had not killed him, but in terms of % damage, countering the eruption would yield the very best results. Also, if you check the timer in the upper corner, I missed by less than half a second. With Wi-Fi lag considered, I don't think that that is at all bad. So, lining up a forward smash to tip, might have been the better option, I was wanting to try something a little different to see the results.
So basically your saying that 41% on Ike>your stock...

It was probably a nice idea in theory but the first thing you should be doing is ensuring that your character is safe. Don't go running in because you might either have a chance of doing 41% or dying... You seriously should have waited for the attack to end and then pounce while Ike is helpless.

And don't bring back the Wifi arguement. Wifi or not, it wasn't the best of ideas.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So basically your saying that 41% on Ike>your stock...

It was probably a nice idea in theory but the first thing you should be doing is ensuring that your character is safe. Don't go running in because you might either have a chance of doing 41% or dying... You seriously should have waited for the attack to end and then pounce while Ike is helpless.

And don't bring back the Wifi arguement. Wifi or not, it wasn't the best of ideas.
Yeah, a better option would've been slowly walk towards him and then space it so you tipper an fsmash or Shieldbreaker. You would've been out of range to the Eruption to hit you, and Ike would've got sent flying. <.<

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
I rated it a 1 star at about 1 minute in and I kinda felt bad cuz I didn't give it a real fair chance....

...then the clip where you started charging QD on Marth came on and it justified my 1 star pretty quick

Sorry, not trying to be mean but just telling my story here.

Nice music though.

Top Bottom