• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rage Studios: SSBB Team Battle + Singles Tournament II- Turnersville, NJ - MAY 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Oh its not going to be my final say in any of this, so i'm just letting you guys know whats out on the table, Halberd can't stay unless some other stages are picked to be in place equal to it...I already know Pirate Ship is going to be picked over Halberd and MAYBE Castle Siege, Pokemon S. 2 needs to be replaced, but fine I'll make the choices for you guys seeing how you don't want to give simple answers. I'll choose Jungle Japes, Hanenbow and Summit. And I'll pick Halberd to be picked out.

Hanenbow = No Spear Pillar
Summit = No Port Town
Pirate Ship =No Halberd
Jungle Japes =No Pokemon 2

Fair deal...I think so...

dmbrandon

Smash Master
spear pillar is horrible, PS2 is horrible b/c the stage types r ridiculously gay, castle siege is a great stage IMO, bridge of eldin is horrible cuz of the chaingrabbin(its called chaingrabbin for a reason cuz u CANT escape it), aero dive is horrible cuz of the cars and unlike halberd u cant grab on to the ledge as it moves, and pirate ship isnt that bad as long as the two songs on it r gerudo valley and song of storms.
I thought mexi might have been some noob, but I take it back. You actually seem like you know your ****. gg.

Oh its not going to be my final say in any of this, so i'm just letting you guys know whats out on the table, Halberd can't stay unless some other stages are picked to be in place equal to it...I already know Pirate Ship is going to be picked over Halberd and MAYBE Castle Siege, Pokemon S. 2 needs to be replaced, but fine I'll make the choices for you guys seeing how you don't want to give simple answers. I'll choose Jungle Japes, Hanenbow and Summit. And I'll pick Halberd to be picked out.

Hanenbow = No Spear Pillar
Summit = No Port Town
Pirate Ship =No Halberd
Jungle Japes =No Pokemon 2

Fair deal...I think so...
This isn't about god****ed deals. Why do you have to try and be some revolutionary? Just use the rules that my tourns use, and you'll get more people to come.

Here's a deal: Use the rules the community uses, or force yourself into a corner

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
As stupid as these bartering deals are, Hanenbow, Summit, Pirate Shup, and Japes are much better than Spear Pillar, Port Town, Halberd, and PKMNS2

GOTM

Smash Champion
sadly i can probably go to this thing....but i dont even know if i want to. i would like to attend one brawl tourney though and enter just to see how i place without playing this game

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Ok wow, after reading the posts on here it seems most of the debate here is the lvls that are ok and not ok. Well ive never competed in alot of tourneys so im not sure exactly what lvls are considered great and terrible. I personally feel however that most lvls with effects that can kill ppl are just crappy. I think its best to only use stages that are purely neutral or have little to no effects at all. Like I think Norfair should not be on the list for a playable stage same with Brinstar the lava is just rediculous! PKMN S 1 is ok theres not alot goin on there PKMN S 2 is just rediculous with the effects on that stage! Halberd is playable but i still dont like it. I mean this is sort of a question too as i havent attended alot of tournies is it so bad or wrong to just stick to stages like

Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Yoshis Island
Pokemon Stadium (melee)

Stages that theres not really alot goin on and that are good sized for fair matches without any interference. I mean pirate ship i like the stage, the bombs can mess you up but they are avoidable so that stage is no big deal. That and Gerudo Valley is only the greatest Zelda song ever! Im not making suggestions as much as i am askin why dont they use stages without any interference at all?

Beat

Smash Ace
edit: if pirate ship has nothing but song of storms on, it should be neutral haha
i love that song
TRUF!

Hey, I know Chibo hates playing with me for this reason, but really? If it were up to me, there'd only be FD, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, and my created stages... Chobocobo and "No johns FD", now with 20% less battlefielding!

Anyway, I found a list of what MLG is considering making their neutral stages here.

GOTM

Smash Champion
your created stages wouldnt be that bad if they werent so FAWKEN big lol no one dies! however sonic has a nice advantage on chococobobocobocobo v5.27

edit: this is chibo

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Yoshis Island
Pokemon Stadium (melee)
Stadium Melee is a more horrible version of Lylat. People get stuck under the stage in awkward/make-no-sense ways at least once every other match. Walls also cause problems from it being nuetral especially against all DDD players with 1 life left "that's when they abuse the chaingrabbing" Those factors make me sad cause it was my favorite stage in Melee.

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
Dammit Chris..

Listen Chris, you desperately need to start listening to what the people, the players, the guys who pay your sorry arse actual american dollars to play your tourny have to say. You REALLY need to listen to their advice, all of their advice, even Inui's as he has obviously been around and his knowledge (however much it may be) shouldn't go wasted.
Lylat and Pokemon Stadium should not be in the May 10th tournament. As other have said the stages cause for idiotic get-back mishaps, and NO ONE wants to be dropped from a tournament because of that.

Counterpicks: I'm mixed on these as is. What is the point of a counterpick besides to give a LOSER an unfair advantage to get back into the game? Why not just use a neutral stage and not have to worry about all of that other nonsense? To me it makes little sense, and I don't see how skill (which tournaments are about) comes into play here. Hey, if it did, then you'd let us pick all of these stages right off the bat, no? (and please don't go into that speech about how a real "skilled" player would adapt to the stages changes, because that isn't what i'm getting at)

Now for something I have been wanting to say, and to stress, and hopefully shed some light on for you, my dear Chris. Any stage that can affect play, via an outside source, not controlled by the players themselves should not be a stage for a tournament. Sure, giant lasers, or pokemon who heave energy-laden boomerangs are cool, and for the most part easy to avoid or shield even, it is the "exploitable" nature of them that twists my nads into a sickening jumble. The fact that while you're shielding or near one, your opponent can opportunistically grab you, and toss you into said laserbeam, or while you're running house on them, use the distraction lasers and outside sources cause, to get away just can't be used as a logical choice for your tournament. These outside sources can give players who know how to take advantage of them, a big advantage, whether it's a lead, or coming back vs their opponent.

If you want your tournament to have any credibility and to continue being successful then listen to the players, and please don't be influenced by certain friends.
Sure a lot of the listed stages are wonderful stages, and are tons of fun to play on...BUT! they are not tournament material, so enjoy them on your own time, when other people's money isn't hanging in the balance.

I think that's all i have to say for now. Chris I have known you for entirely too long, so I hope that somehow affects your decision. It is NOT just me saying these things, but alot of people including some of your other friends and Sandra. So please think about your decision long and hard, make some changes, enjoy the profit that will be made, aswell as the players enjoying themselves more because of YOUR decisions.

I'll post more if anything comes up.

~Dane

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
Another thing that I left out is this. You should be happy with what stages your tournament can use.
Yoshi's Island, Smashville, BattleField, and Final Destination are all good choices in my eyes, and for that you should be thankful. If you recall Melee tournies were played on one stage for the most part, and one stage only. Don't be afraid that your tournament will be dull or boring because the stages aren't pretty. people will have fun all the same, I promise.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
This isn't about god****ed deals. Why do you have to try and be some revolutionary? Just use the rules that my tourns use, and you'll get more people to come.

Here's a deal: Use the rules the community uses, or force yourself into a corner
QFT

Use the accepted rules, please.

BUM163

Smash Lord
thx everyone that came yesterday, it was real fun, melee was off the hook, vanz u seen the two on one's alwayz makes me stronger lol. brawl just got more techinal thx to nl. arcana hearts i love that game also n itz very deep.

it's every wednesday and thursday and it starts around 5, but be there earlier if u can. it's 7.50 for 4 hours which should be more than enough time to get ur practice in with other people. one thing i'm gonna lower it from 7.50 to 7 dollars and then make it that either an hour extra is a dollar or an extra hour is 2 dollars. the title is called training grounds and it's not just for brawl, but melee and any other competitive game such as halo, street fighter and whatever competitive game is there or ya bring. the more people come in, the better the scene and the options that will arise from this. i offically start working at 6pm to 10pm wednesday and thursday, but if u coming in earlier, inform me so i can come earlier with equipment. i can train with whoever comes also. i thank everyone who came yesterday n it was real fun.

location is 54 cooper square new york, new york 10003 usa. phone number is 1 212 614 7300.
web2zone is the store and when if u call ask for bum. friday's are brawl weeklys till further notice. 50 plus every friday for the brawl weekly.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
bum stop advertising everywhere

swampfox - thanks for trying to set things straight, however counterpicks are a huge part of tourney play. melee was barely played on just one stage as you claim, infact final d gave a big disadvantage to plenty of characters.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Its brawl.. just agree with your opponent to do BF/FD and get it over with so you can do something more fun.

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
For the most part all of the tourny play I saw was on Final Destination or Fountain of Dreams.
The point i'm getting at is that there are already enough stages to host a fine tournament..even WITH counterpicks, while still having no stages that cause damage, target, or otherwise unbalance the fight.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
what!? a lot of ppl dont like FoD tho its still legal. its just a big split between FD, battlefield, FoD, dream land, stadium

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Rainbow cruise is FAR from horrible!
The stage has basically 2 neutral parts, the ship and the upper part of the level. Yes it moves, but umm so what? It is predictable movement, and compeltely fair. I don't see why you would ban a stage that NO OTHER TOURNAMENTS are banning. It shouldn be a personal decision man, if you see that everyone else is ok with it just go along wtih the community. No one with think ur a loser if you just make the list like we want it. WE ARE PAYING TO ENTER, geez!

PS. I fux with rainbow cruise heavy ma dude, I need my counterpick to **** velocity on.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
and LOL at melee being played on 1 stage.Thanks Swampfox for your input, but you are a little off.
There is no reaosn to question the logic of the smash community. Different stages provide different types of fights. If you have a slow hard hitting character, you may want a smaller stage where your opponent can not run away from u. If you have a campy quick char, you would want a larger stage where u can do the most damage. We as a community are pretty skilled and knowledgeable on what WE find acceptable for counterpicks. Every tourny runs by the same rules giver or take a few minor changes. BUt USE OF COUNTERPICK STAGES, is simply not debateable. N if you feel as though they are unecessary, its simply because u dont understand competitive smash.

Thats ok tho

O AND FREAK CHOCOBO!!! THAT RICKROLL WAS LIKE DAAAAYUUUMMMMM!!!!!

Velocity

Smash Lord
Rainbow cruise is FAR from horrible!
The stage has basically 2 neutral parts, the ship and the upper part of the level. Yes it moves, but umm so what? It is predictable movement, and compeltely fair. I don't see why you would ban a stage that NO OTHER TOURNAMENTS are banning. It shouldn be a personal decision man, if you see that everyone else is ok with it just go along wtih the community. No one with think ur a loser if you just make the list like we want it. WE ARE PAYING TO ENTER, geez!

PS. I fux with rainbow cruise heavy ma dude, I need my counterpick to **** velocity on.
no stage in brawl will ever help you do that/

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
Burn, I'm an ***, I'll say that up front.

* For a summary of my post, see the very bottom (walls suck)

Now, here's what else I have to say: a tournament director who doesn't listen to his desired audience is a ****tard. Yes, you're a director. You're deciding all the rules (albeit terrible ones). I tend not to post here very often, but your ruleset, grammar, and attitude are so horrendous I feel I must commit genocide in order to quench my thirst for blood.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you just IGNORED what the players want, but instead you're actually insulting them and fighting them (with stupid logic that makes no sense, to boot). You need to man up and realize when you're wrong. There's a reason all 34875236984578324 other tournaments use the SAME RULESET. It's because IT'S A GOOD RULESET.

And don't forget, no matter how much Inui smells and is thoroughly hated by everyone, if he had a tournament with standard rules on the same day as yours, you would have a terrible tournament. 100% guaranteed.

I am also inclined to say that if you argued decently, you might get your way, but using stupid references (DBZ, god, what?) and insisting that top level tournament players are wrong is moronic. Tournaments are about removing as much random stuff as possible so that focus is entirely on skill. Having stages where your controls are RANDOMLY changed goes against that. Halberd's rapethings are all easily predictable, and if you can't see your character through a TRANSPARENT target thinger, you pretty much deserve to die anyway; not to mention the fact that you can mindgame your opponent into the rapethings. The cars are terrible. You can only see them coming after you've had a stock taken off by them.

Why are you fighting so hard to have your terrible rules accepted? Tournaments are NOT about the director, they are about the PLAYERS. RESPECT them and you might find fewer people calling you a douche**** (you're a douche****). Seriously, just go with what they want.

O...and good job on infringing Nintendo's international copyrights with your stolen website in order to make a profit. I may have to contact a lawyer.

SUMMARY:
MAN UP AND USE THE STANDARD RULES

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
I said one stage for the most part. And yes..for the most part it was played on one stage. Either way everyone who says LOL your wrong Melee was played on bunches and bunches of stages, is clearly missing the point I made.

My main points are as follows.

There are already enough good, neutral, stages for Burn's tournament to run smoothly and to be a success.

Also, any stage that has an outside source of unbalancing a fight, whether it is the grapple claw on halberd(which can KO and has plenty of times) to the various laser beams, or race cars ..should not be in a tournament..not as a normal stage or a counterpick. To me that makes sense, and please go ahead and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

My saying I didn't understand the point of a counterpick was an opinion, and more or less an emphasis on the fact that Burn should not be overly concerned with counterpicks (especially not to the point he's throwing randomass stages in).

Burn, just use the usual list of stages and whatnot.

If you want to be original, then in the future hold a tri-tourny. Singles. On each platform for each Smash game. But like everyone else has said, please don't screw up something that can be an excellent event, for the sake of originality or being revolutionary, instead find other ways to make your tournaments different and to stand out, for instance...better reward money, and a more professional atmosphere overall.

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
My brother and I are thinking about attending this tourney. It would be the first Tourney we've participated in. In the doubles portion, we'd obviously be partners, in singles, we'd kick each other's *****. I'm a little confused on a few things, but I'm sure I'll pick it up in time. We hope to have fun and maybe even do well in the tournament. Oh well, see ya there.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
My brother and I are thinking about attending this tourney. It would be the first Tourney we've participated in. In the doubles portion, we'd obviously be partners, in singles, we'd kick each other's *****. I'm a little confused on a few things, but I'm sure I'll pick it up in time. We hope to have fun and maybe even do well in the tournament. Oh well, see ya there.

Beat

Smash Ace
I LOVE YOU.

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
You guys are douches.

Are there any other Tourneys in NJ and/or within an hour's drive from Trenton? This is starting to sound like a bad idea... I don't know if I should go...

dmbrandon

Smash Master
You guys are douches.

Are there any other Tourneys in NJ and/or within an hour's drive from Trenton? This is starting to sound like a bad idea... I don't know if I should go...
While the director has little to no idea of what he's doing, it's not your place to judge since you're so new. Try to establish yourself by going to a few tournaments, before passing such harsh judgment.

Don't get me wrong... The most of them are douches. Including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom