• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think of grenades as a camping tool as much as I do a mobile trap, just like the c4 and downsmash are stationary traps. Like you can standard toss a nade behind an opponent and walk towards them near the ledge, their options are severely reduced which enables you to hit them with one of snake's high damage wide range tilts or even more devastatingly, grabs. Grenades are very easy to powershield and avoid and for this reason, I don't think camping is a winning strategy.

tl;dr, Snake is about controlling space, and camping is not a winning strategy at high level play, because grenades by themselves are not much of a threat. They are fairly easily powershielded and avoided (without snake applying pressure by being there).

I am heavily opinionated that snakes should focus on our fantastic grab game and controlling space over anything else, but I have never really discussed this at length before. Snakes need a skype chat.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah I honestly see grenades as either a way to make people approach me or just an a hitbox that can hit just about anywhere if I cook my nades right and have the right slopes. ^_^

Also yes! Skype group would be awesome. :D

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Kuro I just made it but if you want me to add you or have suggestions, pm me your skype address so I can get you in!

You're welcome, Blind. Feel free to post your questions here and I'm sure the people here will do their best to answer them. It's always nice to get new blood in the snake community.

XstrawberrygoddessX

Smash Apprentice
Hi, so I've recently become interested with using Snake. Is there anything I need to do to begin improvement with him? Like, how often should I use his projectiles? Or which throw is the best to use (after a grab) And how often should a Dacus be used?

clowsui

Smash Legend
guide to getting better with snake:

1. learn how to punish people with dash attack
2. learn how to interrupt people's bait with dash attack (i.e. getting close using dash attack in a safe way)
3. learn when people get nervous when you're up close and what they do as a response to the threat of your grab + ftilt
4. learn how to properly intercept the opponent with your evasive options (dodge + roll)
5. learn how to defend. http://smashclubs.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/advanced-defense/
6. learn how to properly dthrow tech chase. www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235804
6a. learn how to mix up from your dthrow tech chase - learn basic player psychology and understand what dthrow + positional advantage do for you.
7. learn how to anti-air effectively with utilt/when it is OK to stale your utilt (this is the easiest out of all the steps imo)

those 7 steps can be done in any order but substantiate the basics of snake imo. after you have a sufficient understanding of those principles, these more "advanced" concepts should be learned:

8. learn how to use grenade as a tool to provoke approaches
9. learn how to transition between using grenade as a tool to provoke approaches and using grenade as a defensive tool
10. learn when it is OK to trade using grenades and when it isn't
11. learn how C4 changes the opponent's behavior and how you can use it to maximize stage control/disrupt momentum
12. learn how dacus is different than dash attack and learn how to incorporate it into gameplay (both offensively and defensively)

that should be sufficient for a LOOONG time. after you learn all these things you will have a "solid" snake that doesn't rely on fraudulent tactics and you will be able to invent/think of things on your own with respect to things i didn't mention, such as:

when/how to use bair, dsmash
the utility of "weird" snake moves (uair, dtilt, fair, jab)
how snake controls the pace of the match and where you should change between offense and defense

clowsui

Smash Legend
Idk I have a fairly different view on Snake than a lot of people I know, lol.

The sad thing is a lot of "high level" Snakes are not competent at a lot of the things I describe to be necessary and fundamental. Ironically enough I think Snake is a fairly limited character wrt in-game mechanics but he has a lot of room psychologically.

I added something obvious I forgot (utilt).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Those steps are still awesome. Now I simply know where to focus and quickly become a threat with Snake :)

Holy, new people on the snake boards. Its been ages since I have seen this. Well, ages since I was really on here last.

I do not think anyone in smash can be called high level or professional or even coach status yet. This isn't some game that's decades old like football, soccer, tennis, chess, tic-tac-toe, etc. Its less than 5 years old and I highly doubt very many people really understand what it is they do that makes them successful. The ones that do probably think they know and really have no idea. The people who have enough experience and understand something probably cannot even explain well to other people what's important to consider.

I think Dr.PP might be one of the few people who could probably be considered professional, or more on the way to doing it than others. Experience attending other tournaments, consistent rankings up top, and for a number of years recently, along with continued SWF support and theory discussion to understand the game better. Although, that is only in melee.

No, you are not new. Your post count and join date are not within suitable bounds for such a declaration. You are merely a transfer student.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
I myself am new to the competitive scene of smash, and am really enjoying it so far. I will always appreciate any advice that could be thrown my way, so that's why I'm looking forward to the skype group :)

clowsui, your advice helped a lot :)

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Snake up air and jab are not weird moves, esp. jab. Jab can work as an anti air or to force them to land while they're in hit stun to provoke RCO lag, and can lead into ftilt or grab as a mixup

Up air and back air are very potent threats to people in the air, moreso upair than bair. Upair kills super early so if you're catching someone trying to recover you can just jump at them and wait for the airdodge to get a kill.

Other than that I agree with what Chi said, but there is much more to snake than the fundamentals.

Also, learn how to boost grab. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn how to do it and its applications, I cannot possible stress that enough.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Hi Aero

So I took apart one of my broken wiis just today. Spent 5 hours working on it, including solving 3 different problems (dead laser, jammed disc drive, wouldn't accept discs.)

Turns out I actually need a whole new disc drive anyway because the motor is dead. Damnit.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Yesterday was a good tourney for two main reasons...

1. Performed a jontech (c4 recovery, tech, walljump, wavebounce onstage) for the first time in tournament
2. Lived to 295% in a tourney match, highest in memory

:phone:

Top Bottom