• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

quotes anyone?

twally

Smash Apprentice
"this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. embrace this moment. remember. we are eternal. all this pain is an illusion."
parabola--tool

Tool is exactly what it sounds like: It's a big ****. It's a wrench. It's also what it sounds like: It's a verb, it's a digging factor. It's an active process of searching, as in use us, we are a shovel, we are the match, we're the blotter of acid, your tool; use us as a catalyst in your process of finding out whatever it is you need to find out, or whatever it is you're trying to achieve.
--maynard james keenan--

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
The [publishing] business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side.
-Hunter S. Thompson

twally

Smash Apprentice
The [publishing] business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side.
-Hunter S. Thompson
did someone tell you this where you work, scav? cause if so, i would be very intimidated. very interesting either way.

jaej

Smash Journeyman
"Memory never recaptures reality. Memory reconstructs. All reconstructions change the original, becoming external frames of reference that inevitably fall short." Mentat Handbook (from Dune)

"To live is to suffer, but to survive; that is to find meaning in the suffering."

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
"There is no such thing as bad weather, only diffrent kinds of good weather"

That quote seriously changed my perpespective, along with this one

"Do not scorn what you now. Remeber the things you have now are the things you only wished for"

I messed that one up a bit, but thats the jist of it. basically puts things in a viewpoint of relizeing that you should be gratefull instead of always wanting more.
And last of all, ill throw in this musical quote, funny yet meaninfull, but mostly witty, its from Aesop Rock, hes a great lyric writer
"Gathering Attentions a must, You dont wanna be overlooked, But you dont wanna be looked over too much."

jaej

Smash Journeyman
"Nearly all men can stand adversity; but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Honest Abe Lincoln

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." Shakespeare

"Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion. Simultaneously the source of one's greatest strength, and one's greatest weakness."

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat." Napoleon Bonaparte

"An individual's first duty is to live his life as his principles demand." Thoreau

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Jaej, isn't the Hope quote from the Matrix trilogies?

"Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely"- Lord Acton

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
where all bedlam breaks loose! either that or the
Haikus are easy / sometimes they don't make sense. / Refigerator.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
I love this thread. :)
Except the second line in the haiku is only six syllables :(

"And then someone hits my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer."
-Michael, The Office

"Most people get run over by glaciers."
-Mark Twain

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
-a sign from one of the (many) bars that Stephen King went to.

"You ever take a dump made you feel you'd just slept for twelve hours?"
-Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

I have no idea what the last quote means, but it's still funny. . . Any ideas?

jaej

Smash Journeyman
"When you were born, you sucked your mom's ****. When your growing up, you suck your girlfriend's ****. When you get married, you suck your wife's ****. Basically, life sucks."

smashman90

Smash Lord
"I can't beat you without me!"-me (I am an idiot)

Here's the origin story for that line. Me and my friend was playing King of the Monsters 2 for the snes and we were at the final level and my friend run out of lives and continues when we reached the final boss and I tried to say "I can't beat him without you!" but instead I said "I can't beat you without me!". My friend started laughing at me for that. But I managed to still beat the final boss by myself and afterwards we laughed our ***** off at my stupid line.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes...But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor" -Neil Gaiman

jaej

Smash Journeyman
This quote might actually be from this thread, im not sure. so if it is, please dont kill me.

"Work as if you were to live a thousand years. Play as if you were to die tomorow." Ben Franklin

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
"Courage is being scared to death…and saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne

"In Nepal whave neither giraffes nor kangaroos, so we know nothing about them. In France, there are no yetis, so I sympathize with your ignorance."
-Himalayan Elder Khunjo Chumbi when told by French Scholars that they believed the yeti to be a hoax.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his."
-General Patton

"You will fall before my fake rules, and for the sin of going against the New World's God, die."
-Yagami Light, Death Note

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. If You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. "
-Bruce Lee

"It's not about strength or power - you gotta be fluid...You have to be like water...You're tense, I'm calm. You apply excessive force, I control that force through fluid motion. That means relaxing the whole body so that it could react instantly without resistance. You know, without thought. Do you see now? It means becoming like clear water...Water can take any form. It drifts without effort one moment then pounds down in a torrent the very next."
-Spike Spiegel's take on the above quote.

And a few from me...
"If I didn't procrastinate, I would have nothing to do."

"Consistency is the key to perfection."

More later.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
"When you've done something just right, it's like you've done nothing at all."-God in Futurama

When I really thought about this, it actually made a great deal of sense. I was really impressed.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
"Nice way to answer a question and get a quote in."

-applejack.

"In peace sons bury thier fathers, in war fathers bury thier sons."
-Another quote off of CoD 2, they give you a good reason to die. You get a good quote.

400th post!

twally

Smash Apprentice
twally: so do you think you can ever reach perfection in your writing.?

the girl of my dreams: no. not really, but see there is beauty. i mean you can strive for perfection, but you'll never reach it. like when you write something. you just kind of know when it is done, when it is beautiful. but often times you lose beauty in your quest for perfection. and that is never a good trade off. you just have to know when your writing is done and beautiful, not perfect.

twally: (silently mumbled to myself) i love you...

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Ireland born. Didn't notice that.

Twally, good luck. Remember, "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all".
Don't know who first said that.

Or "better to have loved and lost her, than to love a loser."
-Luke Duke, off Dukes of Hazzard.

Just tell her how you feel....what's the worst that could happen?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I have always heard it as "To err is human, to forgive divine"

"Pure gold does not fear the purging fire" -Chinese Proverb

Top Bottom