• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Quickplay and Battle Arena

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I do wonder if the For Glory kids are putting 2 stocks rather then 3 stocks despite the changes. Wouldn't be surprised.

Augi

Smash Cadet
I don't know where the 2 Stock preference comes from... 3 Stock has always been the proper way to play smash since the N64. For the last 20 years, living in 5 different states across the country, every group of people I've played Smash with all did 3 Stock.

Also yeah, the Online is bad. I would gladly take For Glory over this nonsense:

Guy A: "Lets go all-in on making the game competitive! We'll create a ranking system based on how much you win and lose! Then, we'll match people based on that ranking, and then when they climb high enough in the rankings, make them part of an elite club of players who will affect the outcome of future balancing updates!"

Moron A: "Yeah! And then we'll attach that competitive ranking system to a non-competitive setting!"

Guy A: "Wait, what? No. That's -. No I -."

Moron B: "Oh totally. That way no one will feel excluded or forced into a 'hardcore' rule set AND we only have to create one matchmaking system!"

Moron A: "Brah, you totally read my mind. HIGH FIVE!"

Guy A: "$%@!"

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't know where the 2 Stock preference comes from... 3 Stock has always been the proper way to play smash since the N64. For the last 20 years, living in 5 different states across the country, every group of people I've played Smash with all did 3 Stock.

Also yeah, the Online is bad. I would gladly take For Glory over this nonsense:

Guy A: "Lets go all-in on making the game competitive! We'll create a ranking system based on how much you win and lose! Then, we'll match people based on that ranking, and then when they climb high enough in the rankings, make them part of an elite club of players who will affect the outcome of future balancing updates!"

Moron A: "Yeah! And then we'll attach that competitive ranking system to a non-competitive setting!"

Guy A: "Wait, what? No. That's -. No I -."

Moron B: "Oh totally. That way no one will feel excluded or forced into a 'hardcore' rule set AND we only have to create one matchmaking system!"

Moron A: "Brah, you totally read my mind. HIGH FIVE!"

Guy A: "$%@!"
the two stock preference comes from Smash 4's For Glory settings and meta game. The game was too defensive to justify three-stocks, thus people are used to two stocks despite the vast amount of changes in Ultimate.

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
So, I have heard a lot of people complaining about smash ultimate online, but I'm having the exact online experience I wanted and would like to spread the word.

Look for battle arenas called "3s 7m hazardless legal". I've been creating rooms like these for the past few days by using a ruleset with a limited random stage list. Within minutes I'm playing in a full 4-player room with other "glorious smashers" and having a blast. If I see that someone is lagging too much, I just kick them and keep a very respectably low lag.

It's in no way "worse than for glory" as I hear people say. It's what I always wanted out of online smash: stage variety without janky stuff, whatever number of stocks/minutes seems to be the tournament standard, and control over whether I keep playing against opponents with a bad connection.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate online is complete garbage and is needs to die. You can get permabanned from it? That’s ducking stupid.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I can't find any public Arena room for 1 on 1.
Do you guys also get same things?
Some online error?

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Took me a bit to find some time but it turned out fine for me, what were all your settings when searching?
"Any"
"1 on 1"
"Spirit : off"
How many rooms can you find?
Mine only 2 rooms.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
"Any"
"1 on 1"
"Spirit : off"
How many rooms can you find?
Mine only 2 rooms.
There were 20 rooms on the list but half of them needed a password so it's really only 10. Out of the ones that had set there max amount of people to 2 there was only 3. Maybe I got lucky, could be that most are going into quickplay since it's somewhat improved now, leading to less popularity in arenas. It might also be where you live since it connects to those closest iirc.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
There were 20 rooms on the list but half of them needed a password so it's really only 10. Out of the ones that had set there max amount of people to 2 there was only 3. Maybe I got lucky, could be that most are going into quickplay since it's somewhat improved now, leading to less popularity in arenas. It might also be where you live since it connects to those closest iirc.
Does quickplay improved significantly? I like Arena much.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
So i get banned again for 1hr and 17 minutes for "too many self destructs" basically me dying too many times trying to grab the smash ball and stage hazards flipping and reversing on spear pillar. This is un ****ing beliveable. Never would i have thought this kind of sick garbage would exist in a nintendo game. The **** has gaming come to.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ever since Brawl it's been really hard to get an actual SD as the game understands it, without doing it on purpose. 64 and Melee counted them if you didn't die as the result of an enemy attack or were killed by a stage hazard, but after that you pretty much have to have never been touched by an opponent once in your whole stock for it to count as one. Even just getting jabbed once by an opponent and then walking off the stage some time counts as a KO for them.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ever since Brawl it's been really hard to get an actual SD as the game understands it, without doing it on purpose. 64 and Melee counted them if you didn't die as the result of an enemy attack or were killed by a stage hazard, but after that you pretty much have to have never been touched by an opponent once in your whole stock for it to count as one. Even just getting jabbed once by an opponent and then walking off the stage some time counts as a KO for them.
Specifically, you have to go 3 minutes since the last time you touched the ground after taking a hit without being hit in order for the "KO property" to reset... which is rather over-the-top. I can see why they did it — so that players couldn't kill themselves to cheat other players out of KOs — but taking it to that extent is stupid IMO. I'd rather have the KO property reset after 30 seconds or so.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Specifically, you have to go 3 minutes since the last time you touched the ground after taking a hit without being hit in order for the "KO property" to reset... which is rather over-the-top. I can see why they did it — so that players couldn't kill themselves to cheat other players out of KOs — but taking it to that extent is stupid IMO. I'd rather have the KO property reset after 30 seconds or so.
I think that a SD ought to cost 2 points so that it will never be advantageous for the one doing the SD.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think that a SD ought to cost 2 points so that it will never be advantageous for the one doing the SD.
Melee allows you to tweak its settings to make that the case, and I think the later games do as well.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Does quickplay improved significantly? I like Arena much.
Sorry for the late response! I got really busy over these last couple days so I couldn't really find time to reply until now. In any case, I wouldn't say significantly, but it's definitely a lot more consistent with the matchmaking. At least from the past few games I had.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the late response! I got really busy over these last couple days so I couldn't really find time to reply until now. In any case, I wouldn't say significantly, but it's definitely a lot more consistent with the matchmaking. At least from the past few games I had.
Thanks. You don't need to say sorry. I see only 2 Arena rooms yet...

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
For Smash Ultimate, reporting came back. It's not as easy to access as it was in Smash 4 and you've got to provide a description of why you are reporting.

But considering how piss-poor Nintendo handled Smash 4's Ban system, providing a description could just mean adding an extra step no one will ever read.

It would have been nice if Nintendo addressed this issue instead of pretending it didn't exist so that that question wouldn't be: Does Smash Ultimate have a soft-banned system?

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
At first I saw about more than 20 rooms at arena 1 on 1 mode.
But now I see some kind of error.
When I search the room, I see about 20 rooms sometimes (very rarely) and I join one room and then left that room right away.
After this, I can see only 2 to 0 room. Any solution for this problem?

Unisex

Smash Rookie
Do you have spirits ticked on? I accidently did and didnt have rooms lol.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Nintendo is a company that prides itself on being child friendly.

...which sadly means players aren't allowed to be held accountable for falling for the same stupid trick over and over again, and it's so it's your fault.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I always thought this was a weird cut from the game. It's not a huge deal and I don't go on spectate much anyway, but when I do I've always bet gold on someone because I had so much it wouldn't even put a dent in me if I lost. It's a shame I can't max out on a team I want to win only for the other team to spam the same move over and over to win. I guessing it's out because it promotes gambling and that's a no no these days?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
For Smash Ultimate, reporting came back. It's not as easy to access as it was in Smash 4 and you've got to provide a description of why you are reporting.

But considering how piss-poor Nintendo handled Smash 4's Ban system, providing a description could just mean adding an extra step no one will ever read.

It would have been nice if Nintendo addressed this issue instead of pretending it didn't exist so that that question wouldn't be: Does Smash Ultimate have a soft-banned system?
How about having no ****ing bans at all in a party game? This **** is stupid. I thought nintendo was the most casual company out there. How the **** is someone getting punished through a video game is beyond me. Like i said, keep this nonsense in ranked match. Nobody wants to playcate to delusional tryhards that ruin everything. They started this **** after all.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It would have been nice if you could adjust the amount of points you got from KOs and deaths as well.

Why did they stop at SD adjustment? It seems like those settings had potential.

Pyr

Smash Lord

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
You don't get banned after just 1 DC.

It's either a connection issue on their end or they aren't telling the full story. Likely both.

Also Ultimate's online is better. Fight me.
Of course ultimates online is better, thats a given. Thats not saying much.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
It's an entirely lucky game, so I dont really care... I actually like they removed superfluous game modes from Ultimate. But I feel bad for the ones that liked them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom