• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Quickplay and Battle Arena

1FC0

Smash Lord
Well that's why
That is still lame though. Now that they have match-making based on GSP they ought to let people goof off if they want because such people will end up mostly playing each other and the really bad noobs anyway.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I amost exclusively get 1v1's like I request in my preferred rules. Maybe you just need to raise your GSP a bit by winning.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
That is still lame though. Now that they have match-making based on GSP they ought to let people goof off if they want because such people will end up mostly playing each other and the really bad noobs anyway.
Since theres so many ways to play around in smash if i ever get a long ban or a permaban for bs like this and if it happens frequently then this game is ****ing EVO cancer and ill just stick with brawl for another 10 years.

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
I amost exclusively get 1v1's like I request in my preferred rules. Maybe you just need to raise your GSP a bit by winning.
This is true, but you shouldn't have to raise an arbitrary number to get the system to function correctly. There's no point to Preferred Rules if that's the case.

I wouldn't bet on that, because that's more an Issue for the Hardcore-Competitive-Scene... the Folks who test / review this Games play this more casual and i don't think the care about 1on1 without items...
It affects casual players as well. Plenty of people have complained about wanting a FFA and getting 1 on 1. The system is broken for everyone.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
This is true, but you shouldn't have to raise an arbitrary number to get the system to function correctly. There's no point to Preferred Rules if that's the case.

It affects casual players as well. Plenty of people have complained about wanting a FFA and getting 1 on 1. The system is broken for everyone.
Honestly I feel that 1v1s, teams, FFA, etc, should be selected as an absolute. Then the game will try to find someone who matches your ruleset the closest. Most people have been saying they should bring back For Fun/Glory but I don't even think they need to go that far. Just make the format and items on/off an absolute reference from the menu. They probably don't even need to make new icons or anything.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah they're not in right now, which is really disappointing considering all the work that seems to have gone into the new AI and Arena would be ideal for teams. I suspect they'll add it in a future update considering how many improvements to online other Nintendo titles like Splatoon got.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Since theres so many ways to play around in smash if i ever get a long ban or a permaban for bs like this and if it happens frequently then this game is ****ing EVO cancer and ill just stick with brawl for another 10 years.
Does EVO ban taunts or other forms of goofing off? I thought competitive tournaments always allowed taunting and goofing off (whether it is a good idea to actually do that is another issue).

link2702

Smash Champion
It amazes me how many people don’t realize Nintendo uses p2p for smash, which is what a lot of fighters use. Dedicated servers won’t fix anything in this situation. While Nintendo certainly needs them for plenty of their other games, I highly doubt there’d be any benefit for smash.

What needs to happen is a way better matchmaking system, and Nintendo taking a hard stance on who can connect online in random matches. If you have a **** connection Nintendo should straight up block you from getting on random mode until you fix it.

Obviously Nintendo will never do the latter as they’d be getting tons of angry calls from parents wanting to know why their kids are blocked from online, as well as a few older folks who’ve been slapped with a dose of reality (hell some might possibly even be here) being told they need to upgrade their internet service

1FC0

Smash Lord
It amazes me how many people don’t realize Nintendo uses p2p for smash, which is what a lot of fighters use. Dedicated servers won’t fix anything in this situation. While Nintendo certainly needs them for plenty of their other games, I highly doubt there’d be any benefit for smash.

What needs to happen is a way better matchmaking system, and Nintendo taking a hard stance on who can connect online in random matches. If you have a **** connection Nintendo should straight up block you from getting on random mode until you fix it.

Obviously Nintendo will never do the latter as they’d be getting tons of angry calls from parents wanting to know why their kids are blocked from online, as well as a few older folks who’ve been slapped with a dose of reality (hell some might possibly even be here) being told they need to upgrade their internet service
What they ought to do is to match people based on their connection speed. That way parents and old people will not be so angry because they can still play online and people with a good connectin can enjoy battle that have little lag.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

Why dedicated servers won’t fix anything in this situation? Fighting games that use P2P are usually games with two players, like any other fighting game that is not Smash, that is one of the few that have more players. And 1-1 matches run fine on the game. The problem is that this structure doesnt work properly in matches with 4 players, cause when one person has a bad internet, the entire match is laggy for everyone, not only for the person with bad internet connection (if that's really the case). In the worst case, they should keep the p2p for 1-1 matches and use dedicated servers for matches with 4 players or more. The p2p system was basically ready from the previous game, and they would only need to create a new system for other kind of matches. Any fault of the game doesnt run properly for people that have good internet connection is from Nintendo and only them, not people that doesnt have wired connection, cause this is not a problem in any game except Smash for most people that are complaining, and Smash is a game that only needs to connect 4 people in the worst scenario. They have a lot of options to make the online matches better, if they dont implement them it's not fault from players, and if we come back even a bit more, the fault is on nintendo again for not adding a simple LAN por on their $80 dock. You cant expect that the millions of people that buy the game will buy LAN adapters, it's predictable that most people have no idea of how internet work and how all their games run perfectly fine on their pcs but only smash runs poorly with the system apparently without any problem. Also, a selling point of this Smash Ultimate on the Switch is the portability. If the game is unplayable online because the requirement of wired connection, this is now just a broken feature.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Why dedicated servers won’t fix anything in this situation? Fighting games that use P2P are usually games with two players, like any other fighting game that is not Smash, that is one of the few that have more players. And 1-1 matches run fine on the game. The problem is that this structure doesnt work properly in matches with 4 players, cause when one person has a bad internet, the entire match is laggy for everyone, not only for the person with bad internet connection (if that's really the case). In the worst case, they should keep the p2p for 1-1 matches and use dedicated servers for matches with 4 players or more. The p2p system was basically ready from the previous game, and they would only need to create a new system for other kind of matches. Any fault of the game doesnt run properly for people that have good internet connection is from Nintendo and only them, not people that doesnt have wired connection, cause this is not a problem in any game except Smash for most people that are complaining, and Smash is a game that only needs to connect 4 people in the worst scenario. They have a lot of options to make the online matches better, if they dont implement them it's not fault from players, and if we come back even a bit more, the fault is on nintendo again for not adding a simple LAN por on their $80 dock. You cant expect that the millions of people that buy the game will buy LAN adapters, it's predictable that most people have no idea of how internet work and how all their games run perfectly fine on their pcs but only smash runs poorly with the system apparently without any problem. Also, a selling point of this Smash Ultimate on the Switch is the portability. If the game is unplayable online because the requirement of wired connection, this is now just a broken feature.
q
How would dedicated servers fix that scenerio you mentioned? That player still would be lagging, the game would still need a way to compensate for their lag regardless of whether it was going through a server or not, that compromise would still cause everyone else to lag with that player to avoid desyncing. Literally nothing will change. A dedicated server really isn’t gonna fix anything there.

What Nintendo needs to do is once again, better matchmaking setup, and blocking people from playing random if their connection isn’t good, maybe what 1FC0 said where people with bad connections only get paired with others with bad connections, but honestly doing that will still cause folks to complain that it’s entirely nintendo’s fault instead of folks being forced to admit it’s their crap connection.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
q
How would dedicated servers fix that scenerio you mentioned? That player still would be lagging, the game would still need a way to compensate for their lag regardless of whether it was going through a server or not, that compromise would still cause everyone else to lag with that player to avoid desyncing. Literally nothing will change. A dedicated server really isn’t gonna fix anything there.

What Nintendo needs to do is once again, better matchmaking setup, and blocking people from playing random if their connection isn’t good, maybe what 1FC0 said where people with bad connections only get paired with others with bad connections, but honestly doing that will still cause folks to complain that it’s entirely nintendo’s fault instead of folks being forced to admit it’s their crap connection.
Smash Ultimate HAS connection-based matchmaking, and it's the reason we can't get the mode we want in quickplay.

SmaMan

Smash Rookie
What gets me is even in "Background Matchmaking," you can't get the exact match you prefer.

I mean, it still matches you as if you picked Quickplay, which makes no sense since you probably wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer for just the right match when you could play classic mode, World of Light, or anything else for that matter. Just make that the "most preferred" option to truly match people with the mode they want to play.

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
while I agree they should improve the netcode with this game, it could only do but so much. Most fighting games use a P2P system. Smash is and has been one of those since Brawl. Not buying a LAN adapter/ethernet cable is only shorting yourself. If one person has a terrible connection, then so will you by extension. On that note, the Switch's hardware is probably another cause. Nintendo is HORRIBLE at wifi on their devices and I almost feel like the wifi adapter on the switch is worse than the one on the 3DS. You can only be but so far away from the router or your connection will suffer if you can even get a signal.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
q

Well, what we have now is a system that doesnt work nicely for matches with 4 players. All other games in the world with dedicated servers are working nicely even in wifi networks, even shooting games that requires as much precision as smash. Of course there would need a compensation because lag, this is just natural, but matches of 4 players are more for fun than competitive matches that requires absolute precision. Anyway, this at least would make the matches playable, and not 7 minutes of a match with stops at every 5 seconds for everyone. And yes, fix the matchmaking is a possible solution too. Have they ever implemented this solution on the previous WiiU game? Cause I remember never being able to enjoy Smash4 online in battles with 4 players until I sell my console at the end of its life.

Last edited:

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
me and 3 friends bought a switch and super smash bros ultimate.

-First i cannnot message my friends. Why do you have a friendlist?
-We can only play Battle Arena? cmon nintendo thats suck. Why no multipalyer quickplay with friends online?
-And why there is no ranked? solo, duo etc. WE ARE IN 2018.

It feels like pre alpha game from 2010 without features.
Very true! My friends and I are in the same position.

Send me a friend invite or your friend code. We make battle arenas and try to get as many people as we can for 2 vs 2 games - stock, no items.

:)

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
while I agree they should improve the netcode with this game, it could only do but so much. Most fighting games use a P2P system. Smash is and has been one of those since Brawl. Not buying a LAN adapter/ethernet cable is only shorting yourself. If one person has a terrible connection, then so will you by extension. On that note, the Switch's hardware is probably another cause. Nintendo is HORRIBLE at wifi on their devices and I almost feel like the wifi adapter on the switch is worse than the one on the 3DS. You can only be but so far away from the router or your connection will suffer if you can even get a signal.
I understand that, I got mine. But if the online of the game requires a pact between millions of people that all of them should by a LAN adapter, it's not going to happen, and the general experience will be miserable.

link2702

Smash Champion
Well, what we have now is a system that doesnt work nicely for matches with 4 players. All other games in the world with dedicated servers are working nicely even in wifi networks, even shooting games that requires as much precision as smash. Of course there would need a compensation because lag, this is just natural, but matches of 4 players are more for fun than competitive matches that requires absolute precision. Anyway, this at least would make the matches playable, and not 7 minutes of a match with stops at every 5 seconds for everyone. And yes, fix the matchmaking is a possible solution too. Have they ever implemented this solution on the previous WiiU game? Cause I remember never being able to enjoy Smash4 online in battles with 4 players until I sell my console at the end of its life.
Once again, dedicated servers are not gonna do anything. You only think they’ll fix things because so many claim dedicated servers are the absolute solution to everything without doing research at all. That player who has a laggy connection is still gonna cause everyone to lag as the game compensates to keep everything in sync. That dedicated server is not gonna somehow magically boost that laggy player’s connection speed. It makes no difference if its p2p or through a dedicated server.

Nothing but better matchmaking and blocking of players with terrible connections is really gonna do much.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Games running on dedic
Once again, dedicated servers are not gonna do anything. You only think they’ll fix things because so many claim dedicated servers are the absolute solution to everything without doing research at all. That player who has a laggy connection is still gonna cause everyone to lag as the game compensates to keep everything in sync. It makes no difference if its p2p or through a dedicated server.

Nothing but better matchmaking and blocking of players with terrible connections is really gonna do much.

Games on dedicated servers dont laggy for everyone if one person has lag. Only the person, that keeps running for a wall, attacking the wind, or stay stopped waiting the lag to pass or leave the game. But I'm with you on the better matchmaking.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Games running on dedic

Games on dedicated servers dont laggy for everyone if one person has lag. Only the person, that keeps running for a wall, attacking the wind, or stay stopped waiting the lag to pass or leave the game.
Depends on the game. A fighter wouldn’t work well if players are warping around the area as the game tried to update their positions and what they did in ways similar to shooters or racers. So the game compensates by slowing everything down but keeping it in sync. Almost all online fighting games use this exact same setup, if someone lags, they slow down everything to prioritize keeping things in sync. I honestly can’t think of a single one that is setup like a shooter or racer where the laggy player might aimlessly walk in place or suddenly warp to a different position after the game updates where they “should be” . If anything this would make things far far worse than the current setup, I know i sure as hell don’t want to see some random laggy player walking off the stage only to be warped back as the game updates where they “should” be.

You just need to accept that dedicated servers aren’t gonna fix this problem. Please do some research on how certain games handle lag, you’ll find that, regardless of whether it’s through a server or p2p, the game would always handle lag a certain way, fighters by slowing things down but keeping in sync, shooters and racers by updating positions constantly

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the game. A fighter wouldn’t work well if players are warping around the area as the game tried to update their positions and what they did in ways similar to shooters or racers. So the game compensates by slowing everything down but keeping it in sync. Almost all online fighting games use this exact same setup, if someone lags, they slow down everything to prioritize keeping things in sync. I honestly can’t think of a single one that is setup like a shooter or racer where the laggy player might aimlessly walk in place or suddenly warp to a different position after the game updates where they “should be” . If anything this would make things far far worse than the current setup, I know i sure as hell don’t want to see some random laggy player walking off the stage only to be warped back as the game updates where they “should” be.

You just need to accept that dedicated servers aren’t gonna fix this problem. Please do some research on how certain games handle lag, you’ll find that, regardless of whether it’s through a server or p2p, the game would always handle lag a certain way, fighters by slowing things down but keeping in sync, shooters and racers by updating positions constantly
If a player suffers from the lag, being constantly killed because he has lag but others dont, then he should quit the game fix his internet before come to play again. Cause people dont need to suffer with problems of internet from others. I entered in matches that were so unplayable that I just gave up and let the character there, or killed myself for that painful match to end faster. If I could quit or just kill the lag player fast to move on to another match without being penalized by the problems of others, it would be the right decision on my opinion.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
If a player suffers from the lag, being constantly killed because he has lag but others dont, then he should quit the game fix his internet before come to play again. Cause people dont need to suffer with problems of internet from others. I entered in matches that were so unplayable that I just gave up and let the character there, or killed myself for that painful match to end faster. If I could quit or just kill the lag player fast to move on to another match without being penalized by the problems of others, it would be the right decision on my opinion.
You aren’t getting it, dedicated or not the game would still slow down to prevent desyncing.

Fighters don’t handle lag the same way racers or shooters do.

Run smash through a dedicated server and I guarantee you 100% the laggy player would still slow everyone down.

Dedicated servers Won’t. Change. Anything. Fighters handle lag differently, I don’t know how many times I gotta explain this.

Just like if y’all ran a shooter through a p2p service, the laggy players there would act the same as they did pn a dedicated server.

Once again for the record, the games are specifically programmed to handle lag a certain way.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That is correct. Even if Nintendo had ten thousand servers handling 4 matches each to satisfy demand, people still have to connect TO the dedicated server which is where lag would happen. And thus the expenditure is rendered moot. The only way to have lag free matches is offline. The moment you need to use the internet any number of factors can cause lag the least of which is your own personal area network.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
You aren’t getting it, dedicated or not the game would still slow down to prevent desyncing.

Fighters don’t handle lag the same way racers or shooters do.

Run smash through a dedicated server and I guarantee you 100% the laggy player would still slow everyone down.

Dedicated servers Won’t. Change. Anything. Fighters handle lag differently, I don’t know how many times I gotta explain this.
Servers in Japan for all the world probably would have a lot of lag, but servers around the world, as it should be, I dont think so. A person must work as a server in the P2P situation anyway, so much that if the host leaves an Arena, the arena is destroyed. If everyone in a region connects to a near server, because it's official and with more quality than connect to the internet of player's server, there's no reason to think that the P2P would work better, specially for matches of 4 players, and the fact that everyone needs to wait the response of the most laggy player. The lag (ping) of connect to a server would be irrelevant and part of a online game, but would totally be different than the laggy matches we have in ultimate, cause the time of the match wouldnt suffer anything from the laggy player, only the laggy player would suffer and should fix his connection. Maybe, I dont know, there's a way for the P2P matches keeps running the natural time without freezing everyone because the most laggy player - If it's not the host. I dont have this information, but if they can do it, they should, cause when a player is laggy, he is not laggy for some seconds, he is laggy for the entire match and made them unplayable for minutes.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
...fact that everyone needs to wait the response of the most laggy player.
I’m just gonna cut out everything else because this is the part you aren’t getting. Everyone WOULD STILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE RESPONSE BY THE MOST LAGGY PLAYER.

The game intentionally slows everyone down to keep things in sync. So long as that laggy player doesn’t leave, everyone is gonna be slowed down.

Once again, the solution would be more about preventing that laggy player from playing online in the first place.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I’m just gonna cut out everything else because this is the part you aren’t getting. Everyone WOULD STILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE RESPONSE BY THE MOST LAGGY PLAYER.

The game intentionally slows everyone down to keep things in sync. So long as that laggy player doesn’t leave, everyone is gonna be slowed down.

Once again, the solution would be more about preventing that laggy player from playing online in the first place.
I understand that. If the packages of information of this player are not coming in time with the match, it should be discarted, not everyone wait him, and if he tooks damage, it should be his fault. You cant slow down matches for 7 minutes for gods sake. Cause that way everybody takes impredictable damage, instead of only the laggy player. It's just a dumb decision to make someone that will not fix his internet during the match to keep playing for no reason at all AND slow down the match for everyone that cant leave, cause these laggy matches are unplayable.

But all right, since the opinion of no one will change, I'm ending here.
nice discussion. good day :)

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Don't buy a LAN adapter, it's not worth your money.
But If I have a bad connection and use an ethernet cable to improve my connections for other online games (fortnite, overwatch), wouldnt it make sense to also do this for Smash? Like I obviously know that I have a crappy connection, so why would i forego the LAN adapter completely if I know it would help me?

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Gotta remember that Nintendo loves to coddle their sensitive players.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I understand that. If the packages of information of this player are not coming in time with the match, it should be discarted, not everyone wait him, and if he tooks damage, it should be his fault.
If they do that then the lagging player will appear to teleport like in Mario Kart DS. That would make the game unplayable. So this is a bad solution.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If they do that then the lagging player will appear to teleport like in Mario Kart DS. That would make the game unplayable. So this is a bad solution.
It will not teleport, it will just stay doing nothing. That's how online games works and deal with lag players, and none of them are unplayable.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
It will not teleport, it will just stay doing nothing. That's how online games works and deal with lag players, and none of them are unplayable.
Mario Kart actually did this and they will appear to teleport. Because when they drop packages you will see them doing nothing, but in reality they are moving. Thus when you finally get another package you will see them teleport to where they went while you saw them doing nothing.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart actually did this and they will appear to teleport. Because when they drop packages you will see them doing nothing, but in reality they are moving. Thus when you finally get another package you will see them teleport to where they went while you saw them doing nothing.
Jesus, dont be so literal, i said that for the lagger player, obviously the server must have a control to keep the player in some idle position to not teleport him. He may feel he is teleporting, but not the others. If mario kart does nothing about it shame on this game, all other decent online games do.

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I understand that, I got mine. But if the online of the game requires a pact between millions of people that all of them should by a LAN adapter, it's not going to happen, and the general experience will be miserable.
What exactly is miserable about more people using a wired connection?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Jesus, dont be so literal, i said that for the lagger player, obviously the server must have a control to keep the player in some idle position to not teleport him. He may feel he is teleporting, but not the others. If mario kart does nothing about it shame on this game, all other decent online games do.
I do not get what you mean. So other players see him just idling the whole match? Then he might as well be taken out completely.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Only thing I can really think of is joining a discord that is hosting an arena. Or go into quickplay and take your chances.

Yes it sucks, but its all we got right now.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
I mean, in theory. I have a private one, and I know /ssbg/ on 4chan has one...

Do some googling, if you can't find one you like it would be easy enough to make yourself and I bet a bunch of people (myself included) would join.

Top Bottom