• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question for all NSW Smashers

Melancholy

Smash Ace
Who would be willing to come to Newcastle for a tournament?

I'm currently scouting out a venue in my local area that would be perfect for a tournament. It's a church that is opening up its doors for community events, for a small fee (nothing a venue fee wouldn't cover). There's heaps of space, plenty of tables, chairs and it's a great location, around 10 mins walk from the local shopping centre.

So basically what I want to know is, would there be enough interest from Sydney siders for me to go ahead to organise this? It takes me around 2 hours to drive to BOOST, so I imagine the drive would be similar in this case. Probably a little longer by train, and the venue is about a 20 min walk from the closest train station. I would probably be able to arrange lifts for anyone coming by train.
Likely events would be Brawl Singles and Doubles, and Melee Singles. At the very least we'd do Brawl & Melee Singles. That of course depends on people bringing setups as well. I definitely want both games represented, especially considering that Newcastle/Hunter has always been a more melee-focused area.

The tournament would almost certainly be held on a Saturday, obviously because it’s a church, and they use it on Sundays :p
If all goes well, I’d hope to host sometime soon, after Robocop.

I know that Andrew previously held some successful hunter tourneys, so I hope that I can emulate that. After the loss of Tim, Andrew and S.D, the hunter scene has been floundering. This is my attempt to keep the scene here alive, and hopefully grow it.

Zero

Smash Hero
I'm in.

Is it near a train station? There aren't many drivers in Sydney so a train station would probably be your best bet for maximising attendance.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I would come to Newcastle for a tourney, it's a bit of a drive though :(

EDIT: I could probably provide like a million TVs

Rad

Smash Ace
Definite maybe.

I'm far more likely to go to this if it's with someone else / some other people though. See what happens / who's doing what I guess.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I'm happy to make the trek as long as it's definitely after robocop, im not going to anything other than TII2 and RC until then lol.

20min walk isn't "close to the station" fyi.

Also I'd probably bring a TV or two depending on whether I'm driven/housed/etc.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I would support - it needs really good and proper planning if you need to get the numbers though :)

Melancholy

Smash Ace
20min walk isn't "close to the station" fyi.
I know :(
**** Newcastle.

So maybe uni holidays would be the best time, I don't want to rush into anything, I want to give people plenty of notice, as I understand it is a bit of a trek.

When are uni holidays for most people then?

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Would be up for this if I could drive.
Would be up for driving if I had people to come with aka car pool.
This is because I is poor and cant afford to drive by myself, plus all the people who would be traveling by train can give me their train fairs and I could get them to the venue in like half the time, with my fuel costs covered (possible with some extra profit)

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
nah stereo Newcastle to Sydney by train is like $3.80 for students :)

Zxv

Smash Lord
Here's my take.

Driving/training for 2 hours+ anywhere for the day is a waste. If I could stay at someone's house for the day prior or after, then I'm much more inclined to make the trip.

@Stereo: I generally carpool with Gords/EA/Ricky/Pat/Other WSyd's, so we could all go with you/you come with us. I'd prefer not having to drive tbh, but I don't mind it overall. None of the people who come with me mind contributing to petrol fees.

S.D

Smash Master
Here's my take.

Driving/training for 2 hours+ anywhere for the day is a waste. If I could stay at someone's house for the day prior or after, then I'm much more inclined to make the trip.

@Stereo: I generally carpool with Gords/EA/Ricky/Pat/Other WSyd's, so we could all go with you/you come with us. I'd prefer not having to drive tbh, but I don't mind it overall. None of the people who come with me mind contributing to petrol fees.
Lucky not everyone feels that way or Sydney tournaments would go to **** attendance wise - so many people come from Newcastle, Canberra and even OOS XD
Even so it is always easier if people host.

Zxv

Smash Lord
Lucky not everyone feels that way or Sydney tournaments would go to **** attendance wise - so many people come from Newcastle, Canberra and even OOS XD
Even so it is always easier if people host.
I guess spending 4 hours driving in a day isn't *too* bad, if I leave early... Depends on who'll be at the tournament, I guess. Would only drive that much if there's guaranteed Melee.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
Yeah Sundays are just really bad for me now, because of work and some other commitments I have.

Also no Sam to drive me :S

I should be at TII2 though.

megapup

Smash Apprentice
if this happened me and kencombo would come. i would also bring around 5-6 other players (some brawl most melee)

Top Bottom