• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Zelda's airdodge landing

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I notice that when I land while airdodging with Zelda, I almost always get hit. Like, a lot. Like, way more then any other character I've used. I don't know why, but I feel especially vulnerable when doing any airdodge landing to shield with her because it almost never works.

I can usually make it back safely with any other character, but there seems to be an enormous gap in between the time she can airdodge, touch the ground, and put her shield up that makes her vulnerable. This usually makes me curse like balls.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just unlucky?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I feel you..
And it sux really bad..
And like you said, Zelda's airdodge tend to get punished very easy.. :confused:

I think it's a good idea to teleport if possible.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Okay so Peach and Zelda have almost identical airdodges because they carried the animation from melee if I remember correctly, and they had identical airdodges there.

This is Peach's frame data on her air dodge:
Air Dodge Frames:
Total: 49
Invincible Frames 4 – 19

This leaves Peach vulnerable from frames 1-3 and 20-49, which is A LOT of frames to be vulnerable to. The same can be said for Zelda.

They both have some of the worst air dodges in the game, so take that as you will. You're better off trading hits coming down from the air. NEVER air dodge, attack instead or risk FW to a safe place on the ground.

Hope this helps! =D

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Is that so?

Well that explains a lot.

Zelda doesn't seem to have a lot of options though when coming down from above. Trading hits (especially against Wigi, which I play against a lot) is a bad idea, and Zelda has poor aerial movement. Teleporting sounds like the best option, but depending on your positioning, this could end up with you being Shoryukn'd into the stratosphere.

I don't like the idea of being juggled until I can find a landing zone though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I always airdodge landing (fast fall) >> roll dodge. So far I have never get hit. The roll comes out instantly, so there is barely any chance to get hit.

I sometimes SHFFAir Dodge >> D-tilt lock. That seems to work well too.

Maybe it is you?

Zelda can't attack from above, so don't even bother. Just find a safe spot to land, and if need be, protect yourself with a din before you land.

Another thing you could do which works for me is Transformation Glide to safety. Sheik is great at landing, imo.

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't think Zelda's air dodge is as bad as Peach's. As someone who is intimately familiar with Peach's crappy air dodge, I can tell you Zelda's is much better. I think the problem is that Zelda falls so slowly and if you fast fall, you gain two extra frames of lag upon landing.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't think Zelda's air dodge is as bad as Peach's. As someone who is intimately familiar with Peach's crappy air dodge, I can tell you Zelda's is much better. I think the problem is that Zelda falls so slowly and if you fast fall, you gain two extra frames of lag upon landing.
Quoted for truth

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I main Peach too!

I don't know... I have problems airdodging with both of them. But with Peach I have dair that my opponents need to contend with plus the mindgames of float. Zelda doesn't really have that.

What is interesting though is that I once FWd and snapped onto a ledge as Zelda was falling down from above. What was even more interesting was the angle.

This was on FD, and I was fast falling Zelda to the ground. I was facing a pretty tough Falco player who was chasing me left, right and centre. I was moderately out of the middle of FD and I used Farore's Wind quickly. I messed up the angle big time, but I snapped onto the ledge, which saved me.

This definitely needs more testing, but I think this could be something more than teleport cancelling. There might be a way to teleport and snap onto the ledge easily, which could be a viable option when she's falling from above.

I really hate the fact I don't often save replays and have no SD card. I could have showed you guys. I've only ever done this once. It's SO annoying because I've done odd things with a couple of characters and I'd love to be able to share them online and contribute.

Anyways guys let me know what you make of this.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
fast falling gets you two extra frames of lag?

Well ****, that right there explains a lot.

Also, I originally DID think it was user error, but that didn't explain why I could land relatively safely with every other character except Zelda.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've been on a spree of fighting as Wolf and I feel like his shield comes up much quicker from an air dodge and I power shield much better with him (note: his approaching is much better in the first place). Everybody has said a bunch but just a comment on the Weeg matchup. He has a slower horizontal move speed than Zelda in the air so if you bait him to juggle you then dodge through or change directions in the air you can go to the other side of the stage and reach the ground safely. Also FFdair works on Weeg if he's not expecting it. Good luck man.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I honestly think the reason why you get punished more is because Zelda's so vulnerable when trying to land. This makes it easier for them to focus on hitting you after your (most likely) airdodge since there is little threat that you'll be using an aerial.

I personally have never had problems landing from air dodges with Zelda (in fact, my friends complain that her airdodge is too good...). Her shield and dodges seem to come up fast enough for me. I honestly do challenge people more than most Zelda's when recovering and that might have something to do with it.

The combination of Fair, Dair, and Neutral B (invincibility) when mixed in with using my air jump and air dodge gets me down safely most of the time unless my opponent is significantly faster than me.

In my experience, UpB is an excellent way to get wrecked, but maybe that's because I only use it as a last resort against characters where nothing else really works (MK...).

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
The lag time after NL means it's basically a free hit to an opponent who knows what he's doing. At higher percentages, it's a death sentence.

FW is death against a Wigi if you're above 50%.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I dunno about you guys, but if you air dodge & press NL as soon as you land, there's almost no lag between the landing & the NL.

o-o

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
With the right timing you can buffer a Dsmash for when you land. I discovered it like a few weeks ago, but it's a staple of my game now and it's made me much better. I'll see if I can get some vids (aka gotta find my digital camera -_-)

Top Bottom