• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Eruption

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I frequently hear Ike mains say that Eruption is situational, just curious as to why it's considered situational. I don't main Ike, but I've always thought Eruption was pretty good because of the properties the move has (and of course its power).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Eruption is situational because it's a powerful attack, but it's very obvious and leaves you vulerable.

It's a great killing move, but should only really be used when the opponent doesn't expect it (Like in the air).

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
VERY useful. From experience, Eruption relies on getting you and the opponent into a situation in which

They cannot escape
or
They WILL attack you and you time the Super Armor so that it hits the enemy.

Great stuff, and can kill at early 100%'s.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Eruption is indeed situational, and best used seldomly.

Aerial Eruption works well due to the large hitbox and as well as being able to hold charge and release which comes in handy if the opponent decides to air dodge.

Eruption also works well when combined with the b-reversal to catch your opponent off guard.

And finally, there's the Eruption spike that has been rearely used.

legion598

Smash Ace
i find it useful and u can technically move downward while using it making it an amazing downward approach to punish juggles not to mention those amazing super armor frames

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Eruption is very situational, when someone gets knocked in the air, jump to their location and give it to em.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Eruption is situational. You can kill with it without charging at high percents when people will least expect it. You also have the SA frames when it use it. Eruption can even spike but that is situational too.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
So...the general vibe here...correct me if I'm wrong...is that eruption is situational. <_<

In any case, I've got another question about eruption-which point in the charge is the strongest? Immediately before he lets it go automatically?

On a side note, Eruption is fun to use on tether recoveries every once in awhile if they get really stupid about pulling themselves up as soon as they tether to the edge. I simply charged eruption and my friend who mains zss tried to tether pull up to the edge in order to gain some invincibility frames, stall and punish me...and instead received a sword through his skull on the way up. xD I'd never count on it...EVER...but it was still pretty hilarious.

metroid1117

Smash Master
In any case, I've got another question about eruption-which point in the charge is the strongest? Immediately before he lets it go automatically?
I'm not expert in this, but it seems to depend how you want to send your opponent by the hit. A fully charged Eruption sends them more outward than a near-fully charged Eruption. For killing purposes, a near-fully charged Eruption seems best because the angle at which your opponent is sent is more ideal for a ceiling KO.

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
It's proven quite useful when in the air. But on the ground, not so much...you can't move while charging it, once they land a hit on you it's all gone. Plus, eruption is an easy one to dodge, once you do dodge it, Ike leaves him self vulnerable for a little while, this is the most perfect oppurtunity to land a hit on him.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
spam it and see what happens....

then tell us if it is situational or not...

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
It's situational because it's got very few applications, and you're not likely to pull it out in a match all that often compared to other moves that he possesses.

That and if you 'miss' with it, you're quite screwed. Incidentally, I've never seen a single eruption spike...

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I'm not expert in this, but it seems to depend how you want to send your opponent by the hit. A fully charged Eruption sends them more outward than a near-fully charged Eruption. For killing purposes, a near-fully charged Eruption seems best because the angle at which your opponent is sent is more ideal for a ceiling KO.
The only issue is the likelyhood of landing semi/fully charged eruption on a living opponent. Most times it's by tactical error so I wouldn't place all my hopes up on it. But still good to know.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
That's why I asked, twilight...I have friends that don't think before they pull themselves up from a tether dangle. Many times they just go for the invincibility frames instead of waiting for me to let the charge go while they safely dangle. I would never actually rely on it for kills (even though i've gotten it a few times), it's just a little something to remind people that they're not safe trying to pull themselves up from a tether.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
That's why I asked, twilight...I have friends that don't think before they pull themselves up from a tether dangle. Many times they just go for the invincibility frames instead of waiting for me to let the charge go while they safely dangle. I would never actually rely on it for kills (even though i've gotten it a few times), it's just a little something to remind people that they're not safe trying to pull themselves up from a tether.
That is so true. I get my fair shares of KO's like that against some friends that use teether recovery with Ivysaur and Link. Sadly, some people never learn.

Khraleon

Smash Rookie
Situational yes and it's not wise to use it on an opponent on the ground.
I use Ike as one of my mains and I don't use eruption very often. I use it when the opponent is in the air and falling toward me. I miss most of the times but I also use it at the edge when the other is trying to get back up on the stage. It works most of the time. But I really try to avoid doing that most of the time. Sometimes when I'm knocked in the air, I try to recover from the fall and begin charging it when the other tries to come up and kick me up and out of the stage. Like my brother and his Fox. When he comes up, I charge and wait to release it at the right moment. I don't use it all the time though. It's Ike's forward B I use more.

It's a move to be used rarely because if you miss it takes time to recover from it and it could mess you up.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
ha, all you gotta do is get in the perfect spot, then press b slightly when the opponent is at a high percent, Eruption is already good enough when it isn't even charged!

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
You know, I would appreciate a thread that detailed what recoveries the hitbox of eruption defeats-someone should do some research on sweetspot sizes, which character can sweetspot through eruption with their recovery, etc. :)

In the meantime, I've been tooling around with Ike in training mode.

Anybody remember that big to-do about Ike's eruption spiking? Guess what? It's not hitting with just the tip that does it, although it may deceptively seem like it. Ike's sword is a lingering hitbox after the burst of flame. It seems that a grounded eruption must tip to spike, whereas an aerial eruption takes advantage of that lingering hitbox on the way down, DRASTICALLY increasing the vertical range eruption has, therefore giving you much a much more forgiving period of time to spike, since the tip of the sword travels through more space.

Of course, this isn't going to effect much of anything, since you'd have to jump offstage or fullhop offstage to do it, but still...

On a side note, does it bother anybody else that the initial start-up of Ike's fsmash (holding it behind him) clips through lots of characters without hitting them if they are standing directly behind him, but not if they're jumping?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I use Eruption occasionally as a surprise attack when my opponent gets too comfortable with the timing of my attacks. As it can be charged, I can hold the attack until the spot dodge invincibility frames wear out. However, that is the only situation I find it useful. And it is still very dangerous to perform. Maybe Eruption isn’t much better than QD.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well I'll try and attempt a list off the top of my head.

1,2,3. spacies Illusions.
4. Fire fox (means fox only)
5. link
6. TL?
7. Dk
8. bowser?
9. snake
3. aether
11. captain falcon? (if he hits someone or something you'll hit him useful for doubles) Both side b and up.
12. diddy kongs side B
13. ganon side b if you don't get pwnt.
14. jigglypuff's pound.
15. DDD
16. kirby
17. luigi side and down B
2. tethers.
100. stupid people.

No testing has actually been done but I'm pretty sure this can work on most of the people I listed. plus there might be a few more I don't feel like checking right now.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I just found out (even though everyone else probably already knew) that a fully charged Eruption's hitbox lasts noticably longer than a standard Eruption, and can trick out SOME, very few, but some people. Not great, but good to know. Immediately afterwards, I discovered that if you're using it to edgeguard at low damages (meaning below 40% in my case) with Eruption and make contact with low charge, then it leads directly into an Aether Spike. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
You mean the Eruption -> Aether Spike? I've trained my Aether Spike so that I know the exact distance from the ledge I can go to throw my sword up and safely come back down, so it may be boarderline impossible for the victim to live if they DI away from the stage, but I'm not sure about towards it. I, or someone else will have to test it.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
... you can't DI your own move. I'm talking about your opponent DIing the eruption.
I know, that's what I was talking about. That post was a little sloppy (now edited for clarity). After they get hit, which way they DI. And I've discovered that when they DI towards you, you can still spike them, but the chances of the spike actually working on a toward DI aren't very good. On an away DI, with some gauging skills, you can still spike them, and if they don't DI, they're pretty much dead.

For whatever reason, here's a match I had with a level 9 CPU (don't worry, it works on humans, too) for visual aid. I kill him twice with the Eruption into an Aether Spike. Quality is ****e, but it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7n19CfaLaQ

That ought'a do it.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
very situational. it has S.A. but still u cant move and an uncharged one kinda sucks unless ike is high up with his opponent then if landed it could kill vertically. imo its not that great of a move but theres a time for it every now and then. personally i like marths b move better i just like it more.

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
Eruption is situational because it's a powerful attack, but it's very obvious and leaves you vulerable.

It's a great killing move, but should only really be used when the opponent doesn't expect it (Like in the air).
Well put. Can be extremely useful in the air or when landing. (So your opponent can use their up A.)

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
very situational. it has S.A. but still u cant move and an uncharged one kinda sucks unless ike is high up with his opponent then if landed it could kill vertically. imo its not that great of a move but theres a time for it every now and then. personally i like marths b move better i just like it more.

I main Marth, and I almost never use Shield Breaker. It's faster than Eruption, but much weaker. Hardly any knockback, almost non-existant when uncharged. Much smaller range too. Eruption is a far more reliable and useful move in my opinion, but it should still be used sparingly.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I'm taking back what I have said

I've gone to a tourney and met an Ike and DDD player who made his way into the top. His matches were truly epic and he was surely the star of the show. He killed fast and at very low percents. I’ve asked him a few pointers on how to kick ***, and he incentivized the use of Eruption.

Eruption in the air is similar to counter, but you have more control over it and it kills like an Usmash. But as if the start and ending lag from counter weren’t enough, Eruption is even laggier. But then you have the huge hitbox and the option to charge it, making the move more effective when timed well. Then again, you got to time it well or suffer the consequences. As I see it now the cons don’t eclipse de pros, so it is a useful move that should be in your arsenal especially if you’re aiming for a kill under 100%.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So basically we should be using eruption a lot more in the air instead of using it as a surprise attack?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
So basically we should be using eruption a lot more in the air instead of using it as a surprise attack?
As a surprise counter attack. Take Metaknight’s shuttle loop as an example: It is so fast, powerful and difficult to punish that he probably wouldn’t think twice before using it when given the chance. But then there is Eruption with its huge vertical knockback. There are other situations especially on characters with good vertical aerials where Eruption is applicable as well.
Besides, if you don’t use Eruption, you’ll just have Usmash for scoring vertical KOs. It is good to have more options. By practicing the use of Eruption, you’ll be getting KOs with far lower percentages.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm I must have missed this thread somehow...

But here's my two cents:

Use it. If you don't, shame on you.
nicely said man eruption is an automatic kill for anyone above 100% just by tapping B lol....
believe me , if kirk said it , use it.

Top Bottom