• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Her dress could be updated slightly to allow her legs to have free movement as needed.

I pictured it basically being the way the dress looks in Medusa's Revenge, specifically during the transformation sequence.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
Her dress could be updated slightly to allow her legs to have free movement as needed.

I pictured it basically being the way the dress looks in Medusa's Revenge, specifically during the transformation sequence.

Oh yeah that would actually work really well and certainly makes her looks more ready for battle! A bit of a redesign for Smash in the direction of the transformation sequence is something I wouldn't be opposed to.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Indeed, an update of the design is not something impossible. Look at ZSS jet boots, Peach and Daisy's dress design, Ganondorf missing his scar in Brawl, Roy's new look...
... Or simply Pit and Palutena in Brawl.

And yeah it could actually look like the design in Medusa's Revenge, and therefore be closer to Palutena's dress.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Which also brings the point of her side cleavage needing to go byebye in Smash if she's a fighter.
And people said Medusa couldn't work as an echo of Palutena...:rolleyes:

This is something they apparently overlooked that her dress can be edited to match Palutena's fightstyle like her kicks and such.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
I don’t think the side cleavage is too much of a problem as long as it’s subtle. Toned down, but likely not fully removed.

Remember it was Tharja’s trophy that got taken down, but Medusa’s was untouched

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don’t think the side cleavage is too much of a problem as long as it’s subtle. Toned down, but likely not fully removed.

Due to Tharja being far more skimpier in comparison.

I think they let Medusa's trophy slide for being low poly unlike a full fighter. But a subtle tone down would be ideal.

Last edited:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me if someone's already used this argument, but I think there's a problem with the whole "Medusa as an echo fighter" idea. I feel like there'd be a bit of a theming issue: All of Palutena's specials are based on Pit's custom Powers. Thematically, this makes sense, what with her being on Pit's side and the fact that the powers are vaguely associated with Palutena.
If one were to make Medusa a Palutena echo, it'd feel slightly odd that a good chunk of her moveset would consist of Pit's Powers. Echoes and clones aren't bound to the law of canon, but they at least work on a thematic level.

On the other hand, there's a counterpoint to be made where one could argue that if Medusa wanted to, she could probably grant the same powers Palutena does to Pit, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Also, plz add me 2 the support list.

Last edited:

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
Forgive me if someone's already used this argument, but I think there's a problem with the whole "Medusa as an echo fighter" idea. I feel like there'd be a bit of a theming issue: All of Palutena's specials are based on Pit's custom Powers. Thematically, this makes sense, what with her being on Pit's side and the fact that the powers are vaguely associated with Palutena.
If one were to make Medusa a Palutena echo, it'd feel slightly odd that a good chunk of her moveset would consist of Pit's Powers. Echoes and clones aren't bound to the law of canon, but they at least work on a thematic level.

On the other hand, there's a counterpoint to be made where one could argue that if Medusa wanted to, she could probably grant the same powers Palutena does to Pit, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Interesting point you're bringing.. while thematically it may not totally fit, I think canonically it should be possible. When you consider it, Medusa and Palutena used to rule Skyworld together, which leads me to think they probably possess similar powers.. also Medusa's moves would have a complete overhaul in animations, mostly in the sense that they're darker, so maybe they could just rename the specials to make them fit more thematically?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I believe it can be toned down without being removed totally. Technically, Wii Fit have a really little bit of side cleavage shown.

Well, the goddess of nature can grant these powers to Pit too, so the consensus here is that gods and goddesses can simply grant these powers. And about echoes, we can look at the function instead of the origin. Autoreticle can become something else entirely, just because it would be instead Medusa shooting from her eyes, yet retaining the same function and frame data. Think Chrom's Neutral B, it doesn't explode, yet it's Roy's neutral B.

Also I'll try to update the support list later!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't forget guys that Medusa is pretty much Palutena's opposite which makes her fit more perfectly as an echo.

D

Deleted member

If need be, I'd be down for Zero Suit Medusa if people would be uppity about her "sideboob" cleavage.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I still think Medusa can be a standalone character. IIRC, explanation on an echo included personality and similar proportions to the other character that determines it. I can't remember what made Isabelle a standalone rather than a Villager Echo, but if we do think of Palutena and Medusa, I suppose their body proportion, not counting the snake hair, would make them somewhat similar, but her personality is completely different... Other things to consider:

-Snake Hair ((though she could always have an alt featuring the long black hair she had in the anime short as an alternate), There is a chance there may be a move that involves it.
-Sharp nail claws instead of a shield like Palu has. Staff or claw swipes can replace the moves regarding Palutena's kicks.
-A more ruthless personality, which could mean more aggressive and relentless attacks as opposed to Palutena's graceful movement.
-Easily different moves rather than using Palutena's "Powers" (yes I know Viridi grants Pit it also), and we've seen the possibilities her boss battles could give us.

Honestly all the echo stuff still confuses me to this day and how they do it sometimes, but I'm certain there's chances she can be standalone, and she certainly has the uniqueness to be that. Plus I would prefer her to be that way so KI doesn't have to suffer with having 4 characters with 2 being echoes. But you know at this point, her just being in, whether Assist Trophy, Boss, or the much preferred playable, would satisfy me knowing Medusa gets the recognition she deserves, as well as being in HD greatness.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The big plus for Medusa and the "personality" thing is Sakurai's bias, exactly the same way when he said that the Sacred Treasures would be weird on Dark Pit... Yet Alph using Olimar's ship using shocking at all :laugh: Or Koopalings transforming into Anti-Mario, although they are a special case.

For Isabelle, I believe it's mostly the axe. She would never swing an axe at people (although piercing people with the hook of the fishing rod is fine).

Anyway, I still believe it's possible to portray Medusa through Palutena's moveset, although a real, or even a semi-clone moveset would do better justice of course.

Machete

Smash Ace
I still think Medusa can be a standalone character. IIRC, explanation on an echo included personality and similar proportions to the other character that determines it. I can't remember what made Isabelle a standalone rather than a Villager Echo, but if we do think of Palutena and Medusa, I suppose their body proportion, not counting the snake hair, would make them somewhat similar, but her personality is completely different... Other things to consider:

-Snake Hair ((though she could always have an alt featuring the long black hair she had in the anime short as an alternate), There is a chance there may be a move that involves it.
-Sharp nail claws instead of a shield like Palu has. Staff or claw swipes can replace the moves regarding Palutena's kicks.
-A more ruthless personality, which could mean more aggressive and relentless attacks as opposed to Palutena's graceful movement.
-Easily different moves rather than using Palutena's "Powers" (yes I know Viridi grants Pit it also), and we've seen the possibilities her boss battles could give us.

Honestly all the echo stuff still confuses me to this day and how they do it sometimes, but I'm certain there's chances she can be standalone, and she certainly has the uniqueness to be that. Plus I would prefer her to be that way so KI doesn't have to suffer with having 4 characters with 2 being echoes. But you know at this point, her just being in, whether Assist Trophy, Boss, or the much preferred playable, would satisfy me knowing Medusa gets the recognition she deserves, as well as being in HD greatness.
Dark Samus is an echo which proves personality only works as far as moves is concerned. Dark Samus can plausibly do all of Samus' attacks just as much as Medusa can presumably do all of Palutena's. Dark Samus also has loads of moveset potential, and is a more popular character from a more popular series. Dark Samus only made it in -because- she was an easy echo. The only way Medusa is plausibly getting in (barring some crazy levels of Sakurai bias) is as a Palutena echo. No one doubts she has the potential to be an awesome unique character, but I really don't think Kid Icarus is getting a third unique newcomer. And if Kid Icarus was getting a third unique character, chances are, it'd probably be Viridi.

Isabelle not only has different proportions from Villager, but she is a Nintendo mascot in her own right. She was getting into the game no matter what. Dark Samus, and Medusa, are on a different boat altogether. Medusa has the same body type as Palutena, can do all her attacks other than changing the animation of shield stuff for claw stuff, and wouldn't require heavy changes on her stats like weight, power, speed... It's not that Medusa cannot be unique (no one will deny that she would be an absolutely awesome unique character), but it's that she's only going to get in as an echo, if she gets in.

I fully believe there's a different mindset when it comes to echoes and when it comes to full newcomers. All newcomers so far were clearly thought of in advance because they've all been huge characters in their own right. Echoes, however, have all been more "this is a popular character we can easily get through cloning, let's throw them a bone".

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Popping in with the news of Cree dropping possible hints on Twitter and I wanted to say my thoughts. Sorry if any of this has been discussed before or if y'all know this.

At the start of speculation, I wanted Hades more due to his personality and kind of passed on Medusa. After revisiting the idea, I'm actually pretty hyped at the possibility of Medusa. I already main Palutena in Smash 4 and plan on putting more time into her in Ultimate, so having an echo or semi-clone of my main would be pretty cool, especially if they give her some of Palutena's old customs, like Super Speed. Despite not being mentioned as much in speculation, Medusa is another character who is one of those "obvious" echo choices since her design, left-handedness, and role as the Goddess of Darkness directly mirrors Palutena.

I could see her playable status going either way in terms of echo vs. semi-clone. In order to be an echo, she needs to have a shield and her own halo (maybe Hades' symbol?) to copy Palutena's moveset; namely dash attack, bair, and uair. I can also see Sakurai giving her different moves to replace those if they go the semi-clone route. I also feel that it would be cool if she could get some of Palutena's customs as mentioned above, and a Down B like Mewtwo's where she turns her opponent to stone for a bit if they make eye contact with her glare.

Even if it's bandwagon support, I'm completely on board with Medusa; feel free to add me to the list. Kid Icarus bias be damned; I love the series/lore and Uprising is still one of my favorite 3DS games.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Regarding the echo concept and Palutena's moves, I believe it's not needed to have everything copied. The halo attack can easily become and attack with snakes instead, considering how the hitbox is (it is quite big, and we don't know how it is in SSBU)

Dark Samus prove that similar moves with different animation can exist with her Dash Attack. Also, the sheild attacks can lose the block and trade this with power, kinda like Lucina who lose the tipper but gain power on the rest of the blade.

And don't worry: bandwagon support is still support!

Machete

Smash Ace
Regarding the echo concept and Palutena's moves, I believe it's not needed to have everything copied. The halo attack can easily become and attack with snakes instead, considering how the hitbox is (it is quite big, and we don't know how it is in SSBU)

Dark Samus prove that similar moves with different animation can exist with her Dash Attack. Also, the sheild attacks can lose the block and trade this with power, kinda like Lucina who lose the tipper but gain power on the rest of the blade.

And don't worry: bandwagon support is still support!
Well, damn, that hitbox straight up looks like crazy snake hair. Pls, Sakurai, Kid Icarus is your baby now, you must realize the possibility

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, damn, that hitbox straight up looks like crazy snake hair. Pls, Sakurai, Kid Icarus is your baby now, you must realize the possibility
Just as if there was potential to put 3 snakes attacking at once, and using multiple snakes for the multihit property... :) Plus, there's twelve snakes on Medusa's head (if I'm able to count correctly) so...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now that's an interesting way to look at things. Now I crave Medusa even more. Btw, people in the general discussion thing were talking about the Smash site's having some sort of change pattern that went on. I forgot what it was, but I think it had something do with "New" being removed either on the About or Fighters tab, and with that likely a direct closing in, with my thoughts thinking it'll either be next week or the week after that.

But again, don't bite my head off if I got the info wrong given my trouble with memory, but we'll have to keep our eyes open for the next 2 weeks. Really, hopefully we'll get something soon, even if the character of the day somewhere is Palutena or some other hints to Medusa (or Phosphora) somewhere. Heck, even KI music would be nice.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Remember, we already have an Underworld insignia for Medusa to use instead of Palu's halo:

Along with the wings posted ages ago and a quick redesign with legs, we have everything we need for Medusa to be an echo.
I'd much rather have the time spent on making Medusa's specials more unique than have different normals anyway, especially since Palu's normals are so flashy to begin with.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I supported Medusa as much as I supported Palutena in Smash 4 (i.e. a whole bunch); although currently the Kid Icarus rep I'd like to see most is Phosphora (her assist trophy in 4 won me over). With that being said, Super Bash Sisters wouldn't feel complete without Medusa. So yeah, I'd love to see her playable in some capacity. Smash lacks villainesses, and she'd fit right in with the likes of K. Rool, Dark Samus, etc. If Medusa gets the Chrom treatment as an echo, that'd be cool. If she's a newcomer or semi-clone, that'd be even better.

MKtheSecond

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new here. Not to sound rude or anything but what exactly is it about Medusa that makes you guys like her so much? Just curious.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hi, I'm new here. Not to sound rude or anything but what exactly is it about Medusa that makes you guys like her so much? Just curious.
Hi! Don't worry you don't sound rude.

Personally, I like her because of the design, personality and also because of Cree Summer's voice. She is the serious character of KI, too. For Smash, I want her for the potential she can bring, and general uniqueness. Her look make her different from other characters for example.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
For me, besides veteran voice actress Cree Summer voicing the character, I like the Greek mythology aspect to the character. I think thematically and personality-wise, she fits in with those that are clearly villainous.

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
They did that with Ganondorf when he was introduced to the series in Melee as Falcondorf. So it's very possible they would do the same for Medusa.
Some suggestions for converted names:

Autoreticle - Gorgon Gaze / Deadly Gaze

Explosive Flame - Hateful Burst

Heavenly Light - Darkness Reigns / Nightfall

Reflect Barrier - Repulsion / Repulse

Angelic Missile - Swooping Fury / Charge

Super Speed - Viper Strike / Serpent Strike

Warp - Shadow Gate (although Pit actually calls Medusa’s teleportation “warp” during the boss battle)

Rocket Jump - Vengeful Rise / Burning Rise

Lightweight - Quicken / Unshackle
For me, pre-Kid Icarus, I always had a thing for the character from Greek mythology. I also really like thematic opposites and gods that represent elements and govern specific realms so a goddess of darkness that once ruled the world alongside a goddess of light was a great concept. Then on top of that, there’s a great moment in Uprising where Medusa suggests that it’s actually Palutena who is the crueller of the two for the way she inflicted what she considered “justice” on Medusa for acting in a way that has always been her nature. Palutena could’ve just imprisoned her (the same way Medusa imprisoned Palutena when she retook Skyworld in the first game) but instead she essentially maimed her transforming her appearance into a monster, then hunted her down like an animal, then exiled her to the Underworld as far from her homeland as possible when she escaped. Medusa is essentially just trying to get back what was hers by divine right and rebalance the scales.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Mainly for the character design and the fact that she is a villain. Those are the main reasons I want Medusa. In fact I wanted Medusa over Palutena in Smash 4...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A good KI villain, snakes for hair, a great VA, and she is the polar opposite of Palutena.

Plus, she would be a nice inclusion in Smash.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Since day one right before E3 I always believed in Medusa being in and I still believe she is.

I forgot to do this earlier but I wanted to share this:

https://www.inverse.com/article/49608-smash-ultimate-leaks-medusa-on-roster

Medusa got another article a few days ago. After the first article I contacted the author to tell him about some more recent updates on the situation. He decided to write a follow-up story.. :)
Interesting..

I always believed Medusa was one of those ones who was kind of guaranteed because of being from that game Sakurai worked on and he really enjoyed Kid Icarus, also add that with the villain theme and did Cree do some voice acting? I would believe so, because she didnt in Smash 4.. Again I play Smash 4 and wonder where is Medusa? Shes not in the Palutena's Guidence nor the Hades Mis Guidance, so being missing from that I believe increases her chances even more because she doesnt have any dialogue in the game yet and should being a main character.

Along with Pit and Palutena, Medusa is one of the big three main characters of the entire series.. Oh and she was even mentioned along with Palutena in Pit's trophy from Melee so that solidifies her iconic status to the series as a whole and I think we will see another Kid Icarus character.. Just Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit seems a bit odd with the iconic antagonist.. Its like having Link, Zelda and Dark Link in Smash without Ganondorf.

Light vs Dark is a battle mode from Kid Icarus Uprising so it would make sense to theme the characters based off that.. Pit and Palutena are light and we already got Pit's dark counterpart, Palutena's counterpart is Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness.. Queen of the underworld.. There just so happens to be a missing spot for Palutena's dark counterpart to be added and again, this game seems to be adding some villains.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I surely know I'd want Medusa to happen, no matter what just for the HD satisfaction. All the random hints and suspicious do seem interesting though.

As for the Palu costume thing, in the defense, various costumes are always missing on the site. After all, the only outfit Palu had on there was the light blue one along with the regular one. Still, the best we can do is wait as it's just one of those dry times prior to the game's release.

Top Bottom