• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Wintersmash - June 30th/July 1st - BRAWL-Sat/MELEE-Sun - Sign up on Meetup!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
WinterSmash 2012

The usual Super Smash Bros. tournaments at LanSmash. Melee, Brawl...Project:M?

Please sign up for attendance to LanSmash on Meetup:
http://meetup.lansmash.com/
You can use Facebook to sign up and it's super easy. LanSmash will be using Meetup to create name badges and handle the door entry.

URL: http://www.lansmash.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lansmash
Meetup: http://meetup.lansmash.com/

BRAWL SINGLES AND DOUBLES IS ON SATURDAY
MELEE SINGLES AND DOUBLES IS ON SUNDAY

Registration for events start at 10:00AM with an 11:00AM start.
$5 Entry per person, per event.
$15 venue entry to LanSmash for 1 day, or $25 for 2.

I'll update you all when this post is updated.

QUEENSLAND BRAWL MODIFIED RULESET

General Gameplay Rules
1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites are legal.
5. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 50 for all characters. (If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored).
6. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
7. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
8. The use of Metaknight is prohibited, if you are playing random, and your character choice ends up as Metaknight, you must restart the match on the same stage until you end up with a character other than Metaknight.
9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
  • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
  • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is introduced for all characters.

Modified Rules for Doubles:
1. Team Attack is set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can’t determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, than whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure:
1. Player Priority is determined if it can’t be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority:
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List:

Starters:
o Battlefield
o Lylat Cruise
o Smashville
o Final Destination
o Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
o Battleship Halberd
o Pokemon Stadium 1
o Rainbow Cruise
o Brinstar
o Castle Siege
o Delfino Plaza
o Frigate Orpheon

Conduct Rules:
1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Pausing may be turned off by request and the request cannot be denied. In the event pause is on and is pressed, whether by accident or on purpose, the result will be a loss of the current stock for the perpetrating player.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.

[size=+2]
Melee Ruleset
[/size]

General Rules
• Metaknight is banned
• Items frequency is set to NONE
• The stock is set to 4
• The time limit is set to 8 minutes
• Finals of both winners and losers bracket (including grand) are best of 5, all other sets are best of 3.
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by rock-paper-scissors
• No player may counterpick the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players
• Timeout matches will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie as well, the match will be re-played.
• Master Hand is banned
• Glitches and tactics used to indefinitely forfeit the opponent's control or to indefinitely stall a match are banned. E.g. IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc. | wall-bombing, rising pound, etc. Disputes on indefinite stalling will be settled by the TO (Dif)
• Any banned stage may be played as a counterpick as long as all participants agree
• Set pause to OFF
• Set team attack to ON
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, double elimination brackets are used

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Players choose their characters for the first match (double blind selection may be called)
2. The first stage is chosen by stage striking starting with the player from the smallest numbered controller port (i.e. 1 ->2 ->3->4); first player strikes one stage, second player strikes two stages, first player strikes the last stage
3. The winner of the previous match chooses a stage to ban for the rest of the set if the previous match was their first win of the set
4. The loser of the previous match announces the stage for the next match from the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List (see general rules section for exceptions)
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 3-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles Random Stage List
Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Singles Counter Stage List
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Brinstar
PokeFloats

Teams Random Stage List
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Teams Counter Stage List
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
PokeFloats

[size=+2]
BlazBlue Ruleset[/size]

General Rules
• Finals of both winners and losers bracket (including grand) are best of 5, all other sets are best of 3.
• The time limit is set to 99 seconds
• Matches are set to 2 rounds
• In the event of a dispute, starting side will be selected by a coin toss
• In the event the stage “Training Stage” is picked (by a player or by random), if either player opposes playing on that stage they may call for a stage re-pick BEFORE the match has started (i.e. before “ACTION” appears)
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, Round Robin bracket is used

1. Players choose their characters for the first match (double blind selection may be called)
2. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
3. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
4. Repeat steps 2-4 for all proceeding matches

[size=+2]
Catherine Ruleset[/size]

General Rules
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by rock paper scissors
• No player may counterpick the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players
• Any banned stage may be played as a counterpick as long as all participants agree
• Pausing mid-match results in a forfeit
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, double elimination brackets are used

1. The first stage is chosen by stage striking; first striker is determined by rock paper scissors; striking then follows the format of 1-2-1-2-1 and the last stage left unstruck is the first stage to be played on
2. The loser of the previous match chooses the stage for the next match
3. repeat step 2 for all proceeding matches

Legal Stages
Underground Cemetary
Quadrangle
Cathedral
Torture Chamber
Clock Tower
Spiral Corridor

Banned Stages
Prison of Despair
Inquisition
Empireo

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
First: Are you absolutely certain those are the dates for lansmash? Don't want a repeat of last time.

Second: Very generous of you to donate money to the pot. Good man.

Third: I'd be interested to see how well a potless tournament goes. How does entry fee work, or is that abolished? If its abolished I will join every brawl tournament held just cause its free. Good luck regardless.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
First: After I called up JB on the SummerSmash date change, he said to me that the rest of the dates are locked in. Although, I'll still be double checking.

Second: I just got a pay increment at work.

Third: Venue fees will obviously exist. But there will be zero entry fee for the tournaments themselves and any prize won't be worth planking 8 minutes for.

The idea of removing the pot and extending the timer is to encourage people to play because they want to prove they are better than each other, like the Japanese do. Puts more emphasis on beating people with straight up careful play, hard reads and punishing (aparently...I see the logic).

Shadowblade

Smash Apprentice
The idea of removing the pot and extending the timer is to encourage people to play because they want to prove they are better than each other, like the Japanese do. Puts more emphasis on beating people with straight up careful play, hard reads and punishing (aparently...I see the logic).
that is very good logic

Sirias

Smash Champion
I like the emphasis of no pot as it just comes down to who wants to better. Not who's going to put in X effort based on X pot.

If you did put $100 into the lansmash pot (assuming I won) I would pretty much devote it entirely to separate events/hall hire. I really think though if your willing to donate $100 like that we should just **** lansmash and get halls just for us. Lansmash is an ok venue but when it comes to travelling to and from + food accessibility etc it really starts to crack.

I've asked Dif to search for venues etc on the north side while I search south side. We're going to compare venues and choose da bess. These events would be just locals for brawl and melee.

As for Nationals I believe Vic should be the only state to host them. They have the largest player base and its easier for the rest of Aus to get too.

lt;dr

**** lansmash

**** nationals

we're running this **** like we used too

edit: syke post FOOKIN KEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ad3pt just txtd me to say he'd be willing to match my $300 over three events too.

We'd be in business id say.

:phone:

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
I'd like to emphasis what zac said when he said we're looking for a venue for melee AND brawl.

the plan is to get a good venue for everyone and run events free.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was like wtffff Kas suddenly pumped for smash again lolll.

I think 100 bucks into pot is unnecessary IMO.

It was to pay back Syke after the summersmash nova money debacle.

But my original idea was to spread it to the pots of each event to promote better attendance etc.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm likely to win any sort of money outside of doubles, but I still think there should be a pot for the games. I understand the Japanese set up, and I believe the more we try to shape Australian Smash like their community, the better, but Australia isn't as dense as Japan. Traveling to tournaments can be pretty expensive, and winning some money makes it a bit easier on the wallet, even if you don't break even. Removing the pot for smaller tournaments makes sense, but for majors hoping to have out-of-state attendance, I think it's pretty important to have some money on the line. Perhaps reducing the fee is a good way to go?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Before I go on, I'd like to say that my previous posts about the role of money in our community did not necessarily reflect my own views, and that I willingly represented the views of other community members, because my reputation could take the hit.

Now that is off my chest, I agree with Smoking Puppy's post about locals and majors.

Locals should be supported by low costs, to maximise the turnout of local communities, regardless of skill level. Majors should be treated as such, with an emphasis on competition. Money is a significant driver of competition and I have promoted this for years in my three 'R's' (Rambo/Rocky/Robocop), running off the back of expensive entry fees, sizeable donations and savings accrued through local tournaments.

I hold the opinion that there is a need for Australian TOs to convene and throw their weight towards one host city, to deliver 'one' major for the year. This reduces costs, increases certainty for other players in guaranteeing a solid turnout, attracts more high-calibre players, deliver outstanding pots, and use its support from other TOs to promote and deliver an event that exceeds expectations.

Grand events are the stuff that makes us pee our pants and we done it before.

Further, money should be treated with more scrutiny and accountability. If it requires the community to grow up by setting up an account to be managed by a trustworthy team, then so be it.

Dekar289

Smash Hero

I hold the opinion that there is a need for Australian TOs to convene and throw their weight towards one host city, to deliver 'one' major for the year. This reduces costs, increases certainty for other players in guaranteeing a solid turnout, attracts more high-calibre players, deliver outstanding pots, and use its support from other TOs to promote and deliver an event that exceeds expectations.
mm i posted something along these lines in the brawl community ruleset thread i think
if not 1, then certainly less than the ~6 there were in 2011... else they aint majors at all yo

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The SummerSmash interest kinda grew like a snowball. I'm not sure about Adept, but I didn't really have any intention to make SummerSmash a major, but, a few people decided they wanted to visit Queensland for a tournament, and then others did too and then before we knew it, 8 people from SA were attending.

I also don't really intend to organise anything outside of LanSmash until I finish my degree this year. Even then, I have other priorities too. Either way, I support the idea of a '1 major per year' type of deal. After this past one, I'm pretty over it anyway lol.

Queensland effectively has a smashbank of $600. The one stipulation I want to put down is the $100 lots are still to be donated to the Melee pots of each LanSmash this year. Accessible or not, it's difficult to deny how good the venue is. If you bring cash there are 2 food runs throughout the day, and a little walking from Bus to the Track and Field room never hurt anyone.

I hear what you're saying though, and I've kicked up about it with LS before, but I don't know. I still like LanSmash. I will be hosting there one way or another, so :p

The other $300 I'll leave to Syke/Dif to use towards alternate venues for our own events.

Should just go back to the PCYC for smaller but regular tournaments. Use the money to subsidise the cost. Focus on Melee, have a (free) Brawl Singles only tournament as well. Only PCYC criticism is its lack of parking, but that can be worked around too.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
jagera availability sucks but is probs the best venue
pcyc is ok, early starts kinda suck also so does the small room, the other room is awesome though
are there uni possibilities?

pots are good at lansmash's to encourage out of state to come, not majors or anything just potential added attendance
no pots at the smaller locals is good

yer

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I've looked at Gardens Point before.
You pretty much have to know the faculty to get anywhere on the cheap.
Way too expensive.
Not sure about Kelvin Grove though.

I wish Jagera was more available. Hmm.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I totally support the idea of unbanning MK. If he is going to be banned, it should only be in doubles. There's no need for him to be banned in singles (especially in Australia, of all places). Using Japan's rule set is definitely the way to go, IMO.

foxlyfe

Smash Rookie
Hi guys.

Ive always been interested in SSBB, i even joined a while ago in hopes of playing in tournaments, but the lack of actual brisbane matches kind of turned me off (since all of the meets are in the GC?).

What is the SSBB scene like in Brisbane now?

Are there actual Brisbane meet ups?

Thanks

Top Bottom