• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Almost taking a game or stock is worthless. I almost took games off mew2king but he would still beat me 3-0 in sets for the next 5 years lol.

Those people Matt mentioned left the scene because they got sick of vs'ing planking tards and other lame tactics you guys use (pocket mk's). Specifically birds/scott/kas.

Fair enough with the first comment.

I have to agree, I hate the planking **** in Brawl....

Remastered

Smash Lord
I have never seen proper planking in QLD. I don't even think more than 3 people actually know how to do it properly. When Jesmo did it somewhat properly to Apollo, he still lost. Blade is campy, but his camping is so bad it actually surprises me that anyone actually considers what he does as planking.

Also, pocket MK's have never been an issue in QLD, unless you play low tiers, and even then, the better players deal with them 100% fine (insert Luigi here). Maybe the metagame has moved along since their era, I don't know.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Yeah BC, 4th doesn't mean much, especially if you're losing to me. I virtually never play the game and know nothing about the Lucario match up. It shows that you've got a lot of work to do with your fundamentals, regardless of whether or not I use MK.

If anything, it's those kind of losses that should make you want to improve. I can understand if you're sick of Brawl mechanics though.

Remastered

Smash Lord
What I think BC is feeling at the moment is the wall most players hit when they want to get better at brawl (I hit it as well). Next time you play in a tournament, and this goes for everyone playing brawl, play the game as if you don't want to get hit by a single move. Only commit to moves that you know you can connect without taking retaliation damage. If you play the game as if 1 hit on yourself will cost you a stock, you will definitely see some improvement in your game.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Almost taking a game or stock is worthless.
this this this a million times this

almost taking games in sets means nothing, the only thing that matters is winning the set

Also bacon, you said you were maining falco ages ago and that never happened. just stick with lucario, he's secret op anyway. and if you want to learn a different character, pick something with a lower skillcap (aka not diddy)

J-Birds

Smash Lord
its basically like me in melee, placing 3/4/5 behind zac/ben/etc means nothing unless i actually stop being **** and beat them...
buuuut im more motivated to play 2d fighters atm

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, interesting stuff here! By the way, Matt, I planked a few years ago in the first tournament I won. I went solo-Pit and this was before the LGL and won. Just thought I'd clarify.

Also thought I'd mention that I'll being living in QLD in about 4-5 months (like 95% sure) and I'll live like an hour or so out of Brisbane. WHICH MEANS, when the next Smash comes out, I'm going to train you all like dogs so we can be the bestest state everest!

I'm sorry you feel that way about the scene, BC, but judging it based on this thread, there seems to be a fair bit of interest and the attitude isn't too bad imo.

Apollo, Matt and I could ramble on about MK and Brawl all day but until people stop seeing him as an easy win, it won't matter. The standard is so low in QLD that anyone who puts any real effort into practicing would likely dominate after a few tournaments.

But yeah, for the millionth time, pick up other characters. Jaice dominated with Olimar and Peach and placed 2'nd at a massive tournament. Matt butchers you all with Luigi and Apollo is the best player in QLD and uses Wario and could also body people with ZSS. Curious as to what started this lower-tier-MKonly attitude in QLD.

Also Matt, I probably wouldn't make top 10 at SS, considering probably my biggest weakness as a player is how slowly I learn. I get really good at mu's after a tournament or two, like when I finally learnt to play Oli and consistently 2-stocked Jaice, but when Tibs, Atilla and other players come up who use characters I don't know how to play against, they'd easily 2-stock me until I learnt the MU.

Don't underestimate Aus too much though. Although we are all trash, Shaya did very well when he went abroad. I think Atilla had some good scalps, too.

Last but not least, MK does beat Wario but it isn't as bad as this guy makes it out to be ;)

Remastered

Smash Lord
Jaice will also re-enter tournaments along with Smash 4, so you guys will have no excuses for lack of practice with the new game. Everyone will start fresh, but I still think we'll see a gap similar to Brawl, just because fundamentals improve your ability in any game.

Awesome to hear that you'll be living up here Jessie. Living with your sister? Studying up here? Regardless, we'll have to organise a bi-weekly meet of some kind to get as much practice in as possible.

MK came about because people saw that they were beating players who were equally as skilled just by using MK. But that's really all MK does, is punish the unskilled. There has been very little deviation on the rankings even with people using MK. I still struggle against Kaion's Samus more than his MK. Probably always will, because he is very technically sound with the character. The same goes for Zydro's Ike, and these MU's for Luigi are easier than the MK MU by a country mile.

I'll be maining Wolf next tournament, until I get to Jesmo/Chris because I want to practice my better characters for if and when Tinaye comes up early next year.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
<3 Aero

Parents have bought land up there. Wanting to move the business up there and work with some other people, basically. Hopefully I like it up there. The area seems really nice and it'll be good to own our own house again. Bi-weeklies for sure. Sounds great.

I am also the original Woffle here, guys :/ Actually some guy called "Azure rune" is but w/e, I'll ditto any of you!

Remastered

Smash Lord
Oops, misspells. Please accept my sadness as a means for retribution. There are too many different ways to spell Jessy in my defence. Also, there are too many Jessies in our scene. I'm sure Jesmo gets sad because he isn't the only Jesse in a town not big enough for the both of you.

Wolf is no ones *****, unless I play D3, in which case he is D3's *****. I actually mained Wolf when I first entered the scene, along with Ness. Get off my lawn Aero.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hopefully I'm all organised to make it for every 3rd week or so for smash 4 meets, Matt.

I'm really hopping the online is very good, if it allows us to play over seas then I'll be VERY happy.

I was thinking of creating a scene on the coast for smash 4 since interest is growing here. If we can have the Brisbane and a Sunny coast scene, LAN smash being every 3 months would be thing for a regional.

Remastered

Smash Lord
We can go back to monthlies on the popularity of the new game. Every 3rd month, we could make Lansmash a regional, but only if recurring monthlies actually happen. (Without regular meets, there would be no distinction between the tournaments, and we'll have exactly what we have now, where every tournament has the same turn-out, and is rated equally).

I will look at venues once Smash 4 is released, and will probably reignite the LD series. (Probably with a new name more befitting the new game). The problem is that venues in QLD are getting expensive to hire, and people are tight when it comes to paying for entry + venue.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Finally Mewtwo is beast and will render the fraud that is Lucario obsolete (sorry BC :p). I love the idea of hovering as well as canceling the teleport into an attack. Looks like there's been a big improvement with the hitboxes and knockback of many of his moves too. Do want.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I'm going to strangle you when you meet next, Maybe.

MM Project M (I'm so much better at then then Melee, its weird), Lucario vs Mewtwo for Santa :p

I actually like it, the hovering really makes him feel more Psychic type.

Top Bottom