• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

Remastered

Smash Lord
With so many people traveling huge distances to play, it's hard to get practice between tournies. A fair few of us really only play at tournaments now too (me included). Zydro has definitely improved a great deal this tournament compared to the last tourney. Beat me in a few friendlies when I was playing a mix of different characters.

BC needs to learn the MK match-up.

Remastered

Smash Lord
If you have no safe options, just walk away from the ledge and time him out. You have no obligation to approach, and an LGL is included for the characters (namely MK) who can abuse the ledge invincibility frames.

Though, I've found that spamming projectiles, or spacing a safe move near the ledge with no intention of connecting, will lift bad players away from it. It works particularly well on Blade actually, he can't help himself. A vast number of QLD MK's like to reverse shuttle loop back onto the stage, even Jesmo does it, and he got punished almost every time for it when I was playing him using something that wasn't Luigi. Read the get up, and punish stupidity.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Reverse shuttle loop is the only way I get back onto the stage. That or make pull off ledge > DJ > Airdodge. Shuttle loop is the safest way to get back on stage since you can tornado, dsmash, shuttle loop or shield. I overuse it though because Matt was the only one punishing it consistently.

These MK's have so many mistakes in them BC, that if you just focus on punishing you'll probably win. They don't ff, they dair onto your shield, they dash attack into you and they never abuse what makes MK good. Just focus on the spacing and punishing and yeah, don't approach Blade :)

Remastered

Smash Lord
The mistakes are plenty that's for sure. I think another big thing is you guys don't realise how unsafe you actually play and namely, how unsafe your opponent plays. If you ever watch my MK vs Jesmo's, or Chris's Wario vs either of our MK's, we rarely ever do anything unnecessary, and we are continually trying to poke at the maximum range of attacks, whilst always DI'ing every hit (even jabs). Playing consistently is actually extremely tiring in brawl.

Aero, Zelda isn't an excuse. Jaice could come back, play Zelda only, and still place top 3 in QLD. Not to mention I have played and beaten most MK's in QLD with Wolf, and I don't even use the character. If I played Wolf only next tourney, I still think I'd come second, providing Chris doesn't attend.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
no.

I don't have a natural affinity towards the game like you, or like Jaice or Jezmo. I also don't practice as hard as Zydro or BC does.

I'm playing Brawl mostly for fun, that's why I haven't jumped on the Meta Knight bandwagon like everyone in QLD minus BC. If I were fantastic at Brawl, sure I'd be able to get past the massive handicap that is Zelda, but I'm not.

You can see the character viability difference when I play Wolf, who I pretend I know how to play, when all I'm legitimately doing is spamming back air, and I'm winning matches by doing it, wtf

Remastered

Smash Lord
I practiced quite a bit in the early stages. Definitely a lot around the Chris/J-birds/Hotdogs era. I wanted to beat Hotdogs so badly back then. My next target was Toki, who at the time when he actually tried was good at the game. I just kept aiming for whoever was next, and practiced each match-up as it came. There is some natural ability in everything, but compared to the likes of say Jaice & Chris I have very little in Smash. Soul Calibur is a different story however :smash:

I understand people play for different reasons, but beating the person in front of you is one of the best feelings. (If the nerves don't kill you during the match that is).

J-Birds

Smash Lord
"Chris/J-birds/Hotdogs era" r.i.p golden days
Toki was a prodigy who when i first played at PMS tournaments i thought would be the best in no time, however he got corrupted by wifi and never became Mystic Toki.
Did you actually beat hotdog when we still played?
hotdog had the most natural ability, he knew so little about the game mechanics and just beat people with spacing and mindgames. a lot of people would never have beaten him had he played super theory bros brawl

Remastered

Smash Lord
Yeh I did. He stopped showing up to tournies after that. Super close match, and was probably still marginally better than I was even though I took the win. I actually miss that era for my own reasons too :(

I thought Toki would make it to number 1 too, especially after Chris left.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
I practiced a huge amount back in the old days. I would play a lot of Wi-Fi, as most of you probably know, but when I practiced I would go into training mode, slow down the speed and beat the **** out of a computer for like, 2 hours. I did this constantly. I was like, 13 at the time and had nothing else to do lol.

Definitely having a target person you want to beat is really good motivation. I had Jei at my second tournament after losing to him at my first, I took him out twice and lost to Accelerate (never got him back for that because I never played him again). Toki, Jaymz, Amaterasu were all on my hit-list lol.

The smartest comment made in this thread is this " I think another big thing is you guys don't realize how unsafe you actually play and namely, how unsafe your opponent plays." This, this a thousand times this. Honestly, next time I play one of you I'll try and point out the unsafe options you actually do. You wouldn't believe it. All I have to do is SHFF-Fair and then punish the things you guys do. If you cut that out and actually research your options you'll improve immensely.

When my MK was terrabad I got on Smashboards and actually read the guides very closely and I watched the good MK's and what options they actually use. Like how when any good MK is getting pressured near the edge of the stage they will drop off the stage and start FF'ing Uairs. Completely removing the danger. Like everyone in Australia, I'm still awful comparatively but improving really isn't all that difficult. Single most important thing is just spacing/limiting your errors. You don't have to punish perfectly or do crazy gimps or wombocombos. Just space and don't make stupid errors. There you go, with no incredible mechanical skill, you just placed top 3 or 4 in QLD.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
lol only owned the game for about 2 months before it broke/wii broke
play a bit the day before tournament with hotdog and rocko
profit

greeeeeeat game

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I did beat Jei before I started practicing. I started practicing properly when I heard I'd play Scoot offline. I practiced but he bodied me anyway lol

Was pretty cool that you did so well without the game. Was always impressed by that. It's just like Melee without all that super difficult stuff.

I thought I did O.K as Marth v you in friendlies in Melee :estatic: although you were sandbagging and trolling me really hard. :ohwell:

Remastered

Smash Lord
I came 4th at my first ever tournament. I actually knocked J-birds to losers in the low tier event we played in. My biggest problem was trying to make Luigi viable for so long. I instantly found success when I changed to D3 and MK :p . Top 10 reloaded 3 months after picking up MK, yeh profit.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
The golden days, if only I actually looked for Aussie smasher rather then just wi-fi people from the USA on another forum during the 2010 new year until late 2011 :/

I missed so much....

J-Birds

Smash Lord
i remember you spamming roll -> jab 123 then i bopped you in losers side and lost to rocko in finals C:

Remastered

Smash Lord
I still roll, jab 123, Luigi's options are amazing :p . I knocked you to losers using Ness, then Kas knocked me to losers using Ike, and your Mario won against my Ness in close matches in losers, though you learned the MU pretty quickly from the winners bracket, and Ness is 100000000x better than Mario. Proof of how bad I was. Then for the next 4 tournaments I tried making Luigi work, and placed 7th every time which was uber disheartening. Picks D3 up, beats Hotdog and Toki in the next few proceeding tournaments. < My progression through QLD brawl.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Once Luigi is off stage, he can only recover high, otherwise gimps are imminent. Try baiting the air dodge, because Luigi doesn't out prioritise MK in the air either. It really is a disgusting MU to play, and the reason I stopped maining him 2 years ago. Easily 70/30 if not worse. I had a much harder time playing against people's mains then I did against MK's on Saturday.
I think you need to toughen up Matt, wario/mk is basically 100:0 if you don't **** it up. I have literally no safe options (without a tyre and one safe-ish disjointed move that takes a full minute to charge) against mk either and I only ever get the slightest opportunity to get hits in if I can bait a move outside SHFFL f-airs. Everytime I vs Jesmo's mk, it is a game of chip damage attained only through the smallest of openings that should never really be there. In fact it's more whoever mentally caves in first loses, not pretty. You would be privy to that experience too lol.

However I do understand that Luigi is a gimmicky, bad version of sheik with an extra KO move.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Everyone.

I don't think I can keep playing Smash....

I love this game, but everyone's attitude to the game, the lack of interests to get good, the low numbers. The $200+ visits are starting to not seem worth it :(

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
you said this like, a year ago and what? 200 dollars? Food for a weekend, entry fee and a train ride doesn't cost more than $200 seeing as Matt is nice enough to let you crash at his place.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I'm serious this time.

That comes with fewd (Matt makes something or Zydro mum makes somthing at times) as well, you wouldn't believe how much I spent on transport. The money isn't the big issue. Its the peoples attitude to the game.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I was going to post something but your post makes no sense so I'm not even going to bother.

icant.gif

Remastered

Smash Lord
Apollo has morphed into a troll. What have I created?!

I'm pretty sure the attitude isn't that bad at all BC. You say there is no 'want' to get better by anyone, but imo it's more that the people at the top of the PR can really only play each other at tournaments (due to 2/3's of S tier not living in QLD). Outside of that, a lot of the people below us aren't improving because of a lack of good chances to practice against better players. The better players can really only practice tech skill against the lower parts of the PR too. Apollo and I are always discussing smash and characters, sadly we just can't practice easily.

Also, Tinaye coming to Australia has definitely reignited my passion for the game. I have actually been practicing, what is this????

Also, I find it hard to believe that your trips down cost $200, especially when you are housed, we make a lot of the food, and we have a 'help yourself' policy at my house. (Unless the train costs $160ish).

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I do think the general attitude is pretty bad. For Brawl, all I hear are complaints about MK, as if people are delusional about the nature of the game they play competitively. I think it's resulted in the QLD metagame getting really stale, and is why someone like me can perform somewhat decently.

For Melee, there are a few people who are passionate about the game, but the number of entrants is depressingly low. If only Brawl people could have the Melee players' attitude, and the Melee scene have similar turnouts to Brawl.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Yeh I agree, everyone in QLD brawl has created an MK stigma that has come out of nowhere (funnily enough, not even Jesmo's MK could compete on the world stage, and would probably only just make it to top 10 at SS, which will most likely end with things like Olimar, Snake, Diddy, Ice Climbers, Marth, GnW and maybe 1 MK taking out the top spots). The best players in the world have been dealing with MK for so long, you guys just have to learn how to do it too. In the last 3-4 years, there has only been 1 MK user holding the position of number 1 in the state, and that was for 1 update (sad face for me :( ). If you really want drive, play a character that isn't MK, and beat everyone in the state. Jaice did it, Apollo does it, and Jesmo and I don't need MK to finish in the top 3 at tournaments here (I've done it with Snake, Ness, Luigi, IC's, Wolf. Jesmo has with Pit, Wolf, and probably any number of the mid-high tiers). Come on QLD.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Top 4 isn't good enough BC. Especially when I beat all of those MK users with a low tier. When you come 3rd with all of the PR players in attendance, you will have just scraped the surface of placing top 15 at an Aus Major. Which puts you in the realm of non-existent in the worlds top 500. Practice more, and for the love of all things beautiful, beat me! I'm woeful.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Top 4 isn't good enough BC. Especially when I beat all of those MK users with a low tier. When you come 3rd with all of the PR players in attendance, you will have just scraped the surface of placing top 15 at an Aus Major. Which puts you in the realm of non-existent in the worlds top 500. Practice more, and for the love of all things beautiful, beat me! I'm woeful.
Yes you are woeful. I kid I kid.

BC, as Matt has said, the interest is still there. I'm not sure what happened at the last tourney, but from what I've heard most of the scene still turned up. At the very least you aren't facing a dying scene anytime soon. Yes unfortunately it is difficult to practice outside wifi in your case, but in my opinion tournaments are the best form of practice. Tech skill is something easily achievable on your own, but what improves your playstyle best is the thrill of a match that holds real stakes, when you improve or change an approach successfully it sticks better. Friendlies don't really cut it.

Looking forward to playing with you guys again, Tinaye is also interested in coming up early next year too.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
i have a weird urge to come back and crush people like bc so they realize 4th is trash considering the limited good people that play now

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841

Sad face :(
Almost taking a game off Jezmo twice must count towards something?

Remastered

Smash Lord
Come back and place 4th with PT. I'll stick around for doubles if I can team with the birds. Low tier duo soul crushing. (The only reason I didn't stay for doubles last time was because of a prior engagement I had committed too).

The reality of it is though, if J-birds, SeaDORF, Oldman, Hotdogs, Amaterasu, and Rocko came back into the scene, and even Kas if he stuck with brawl and Falco, not many below S-tier on the PR would still be on the rankings, and that's just going off what I knew of their ability back when they played. If they came back at exactly the same level as they were, most of QLD would struggle to not get 2 stocked. Hell, if Jaice came back and played along with these guys, I would be surprised if anyone from 4th and back would still be ranked. That's how much room for improvement there is in our state.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Well anyway. I'll grind this hard again since show season is over and I have nothing else to do but wait for next semester to start.

I'll be picking Diddy up too because getting Lucario back to the stage with out taking a **** load of damage is a battle its self.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Almost taking a game or stock is worthless. I almost took games off mew2king but he would still beat me 3-0 in sets for the next 5 years lol.

Those people Matt mentioned left the scene because they got sick of vs'ing planking tards and other lame tactics you guys use (pocket mk's). Specifically birds/scott/kas.

Top Bottom