• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

Remastered

Smash Lord
Well done. Vyse hasn't been ranked for around 2 years.

How much would it cost Jesmo, for 4 people to hire a room at the usual place you guys stay at for Lansmash for say 2 nights?

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Travelodge Motel, Upper Mt Gravatt, Garden City IIRC. I think we usually pay $300 from Friday to Sunday. So that's $75 per person. I'm willing to put in a bit more if someone can't quite meet that, but as I said, I think it'd be really cool to have us all in the one place for once and have something actually organized. If people don't want to do it though, that's fine. It's just an idea.

Also, Melee v Brawl discussions are so stupid. Both games are brilliant and different in their own ways. I don't play Melee competitively because I found the Melee community more exclusive but that's just me. Personally though, I'm far from convinced you could place top 5 if you played in the next Brawl tournament. Certainly if Jaice played you'd be pretty long odds. I don't think you'd beat Apollo, Matt or myself first go, and I think BC, Kaion and Gords would all test you ;)

It's k, we'll all be playing Smash 4 soon, anyway :)

Remastered

Smash Lord
$75 is very doable for me. To make it easier BC, I would suggest making the tournament Sundays instead of Saturdays. That venue fee is pretty brutal for some people travelling in to manage along with other costs. Providing the day works for people.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
$75 should be ok for me.

Well said Jesmo, I'm trying to play both games now. I did my first Melee bracket last time. I like how both play differently, its like playing two different games rather then just the same.

Yeah, I know but. The Sunday price is really good but there is little time on the Sunday :(

I'll make it Sunday if needed though.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't looking to start a Brawl vs Melee argument, lol. I just wanted to know why Melee's presence in the QLD Smash scene is so small. If it's just because people feel excluded from the community, let me go on record saying I'd love to see more players give the game a go. I'd be willing to offer advice and play as many friendlies as people want to get a better understanding of the game. I'm not the best player, but the game is deep as **** and it's difficult to get good at Melee without being pushed in the right direction. It's just sad to see so few people playing it at tourneys in QLD, especially since we're arguably in Melee's golden age.

And I really doubt Smash 4 will replace Melee, but I can definitely see it overshadowing Brawl when it comes out.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm super glad to see BC step it up and play both games. Hope to see you stick with it.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
melee use to be bigger than brawl in qld for a long time
a lot of the melee scene is older and doing real life stuff now, most brawl people don't enter both games by default like everyone use to when i first entered the scene, everyone too scared to get bodied forever, melee takes a lot longer to compete even on the slightest level compared to how quickly you can move up in brawl.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I actually get along fine with almost all of the melee scene. Ben and I played in the basketball comp at reloaded together. Jbirds and I play on a ranked team in LoL together, and recently competed in the Oceanic tournament for LoL a week ago. Teamed in brawl a number of times too. Chatted to SP and Haikal at the last tourney about general melee and smash. Dif and I ran tournaments alongside each other for about 2 years.

Melee's a great game. I actually really enjoy playing it. But I can't bring myself to compete for 1 reason.

Remastered

Smash Lord
So little that I could probably fold you into a neat cube with one arm irl ;)

Edit: I actually joined for the series too. Jaice and I came third in a melee doubles tourney about 3 years back before we forfeited to just play brawl as we had to vs each other in the singles bracket.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think anyone is actually arguing that melee or brawl is better BC. In fact, the only person who said anything like that is Zac. Everyone else has agreed that both games have good merits, and appeal to different people.

Edit: Others have just mentioned general stuff about each game. That's it really.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
all I said was brawl is easier to play

humans tend to always follow the easier path.

I have enjoyed brawl in the past, but only with certain people aka kas, jbirds, chris. Mainly because they just play for fun rather than treat each game as if its life or death and plank for 8 minutes.

oh and toki. love dat toki

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Sorry, didn't mean to jump on it like that :(

It would be cool if we could try and get one tournament where we can get everyone to play both games. I as a TO encourage both sides to play both games, I did have a thought of trying to unit both sides since becoming TO but I don't know if that'll happen because some people really seem to dislike one of the games or the people/a person in the other scene.

Also, going to update the OP of melee Players. Can someone list people and their characters? I do have a idea on who uses who though.

EDIT: Done, gonna get a banner for this thread and can someone name more Melee players and their characters of choice and correct me on the listed ones please :)

smopup

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool if we could try and get one tournament where we can get everyone to play both games.
I don't really see that happening. Maybe if there could be some sort of incentive, but I dunno.

EDIT: Done, gonna get a banner for this thread and can someone name more Melee players and their characters of choice and correct me on the listed ones please :)
Looks alright to me, although Ben primarily plays Peach, Haikal primarily uses Fox, and I wouldn't put Fox next to Zac's name (maybe Sheik?).

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hence why I said
but I don't know if that'll happen because some people really seem to dislike one of the games or the people/a person in the other scene.
=P

Looks alright to me, although Ben primarily plays Peach, Haikal primarily uses Fox, and I wouldn't put Fox next to Zac's name (maybe Sheik?).

Thank you.

So just Sheik or Sheik and marth?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Sorry. Matt. Lucario still holds the win over your Luigi :)

I'm going S.D, only because I have placed well in QLD as of recent. I'm also going for Melee, only entered bracket last LANamash for the first time but this will be a good learning experience.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I've got a pretty big group assignment due on the Monday after SS, so I'm hoping I can get my stuff out of the way before the weekend. It's hard to say how things will go at this point though. Super keen to redeem myself after ****ty recent results.

S.D

Smash Master
@ BC, you don't need to be a superstar to enjoy yourself at big Melbourne nationals, they are always an awesome experience either way.

You'd better come Gerard. And try not to lose to luigi this time.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Mother of god.....

If I can win a set with him without needing Jiggs then I'll be happy.

Also, someone host a Melee meet, I've been playing it a lot and I need people to play.

Or simply invite me to your place for a night of Melee :p

Top Bottom