• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
OR how about discussing something ON TOPIC FOR ONCE FFS.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_1335 (EDIT: LOL! :p is part of the link!)
Here.
I suggested this one a while ago, but what does everyone think of it.
Near Garbage City (5-10 mins down the road from lansmash/QSAC), so easy to bus to.
And its a pretty central location for most people anyway.
I am just enquiring, we aint changing anything just like that.
But if we can only get Jagera for say 6 hours and we can get this for 8-10...its pretty good.
How many people acctually public transported to the Hotcats this year?
Not many.
And people who drive to Jagera are almost certain to get owned at least once, you cant see the place at all and it takes A YEAR to get back there.

I mean, its pretty good, now we all know where it is but still, just going over our options.

Discuss.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
PMS is this Saturday, remember if you bring equipment you get $5 off.

It starts at 3:30pm, I'm gonna start doubles at 4:30 so everything runs on time.

If anyone has any questions PM me about it. I also owe Arrow $5.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
I'll bring my wii & **** if it's needed, don't really care about the $5 discount but I'll take it.

I hope you're coming to our next ganon tourney kaion, we can't have j-birds and chris winning again haha.. details will be up soon!

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
Your dorf is pretty good kaion i must admit. You did well against us in dorf-offs at summersmash (i think) considering 95% of the reason we play brawl is because of ganondorf dittos.

Been practicing my melee ganon. I'm still very terrible haha... I can't l-cancel - like at all! I can't seem to time it properly. Needless to say, i have a very slow ganon.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Thanks to Riivelution I've got music hax on my Wii. Also have a rainy variant of Battlefield and a version of Final Destination Toki has which reads "The Final Day, 12 Hours Remaining" with Majoras Mask in the background.

Current Music:

Menu
- MVC2 Menu Theme

Final Destination

- Okkusenman
- Clash on Big Bridge
- NicoNico Douga Medly Kimikyouku (Moose knows the one)
- Mass Destruction
- FF4 Final Battle

Battlefield
- Night of Fate
- Battle for everyone's souls
- Liberi Fatali
- Burn My Dread Final Battle

Halberd
- FFX Enemy Attack

Pirate Ship
- You are a pirate (Lazy Town)

Animal Crossing
- Through Fire and Flames (KK Slider Version)
- Tank!
- God Knows (Haruhi)

Norfair
- Super Namek Theme

Pokemon Stadium
- PokeDanceMix

Frigate Orpheon
- Fire Cross (FF Medley)

Lylat
- Un Owen was her? (Cool and Create Ver)

Yoshi's Island Brawl
E06 - Don't be Afraid (FF8 Battle)
E05 - Cirno 9 Destiny (Touhou)

Sieg

Smash Champion
I'll have to play with you before I approve the use of these songs Anthony.

We've got some editing to do.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If I see you soon Michael I can put Riivelution on your Wii really easy since you have homebrew installed.
Then it's just a matter of picking what you like. (It works for PAL Brawl which is why I'm particularly happy too).

I just picked out a bunch of ones that stood out to me from the premade sound files catalogued on SWF (Cant just throw in MP3s). Riivelution is an amazing file replacement resource that works for every wii game (popular games being Guitar Hero, TvC, Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Kart and of course Brawl) and can replace any file with whatever you put in that's named the same.

I need to get my other codes working concurrently though (Infinite Replays etc).

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing
- Through Fire and Flames (KK Slider Version)
I love you.

-I almost got that Dorf L-cancelling down.
Coming for that spot in the Melee top 10 Dif!
GANONDORF!

-Bris Crew for PMS 5
Hotdogs
J-Birds
Kas
Last 2 spots up to who plays well on the day and turns up :)

Questions:
-What do people think of a smash bank. Maybe give 10% of total pot from locals tournies and build it up.
I could gaurd it if people are looking for a keeper of the money and people trust me :embarrass

-ANY opinions on the Upper Mt Gravatt venue?
Hey, if we can get Jagera for 8-10 hours (we did the first time I THINK) then there would be much less need for me to even think of this one.

-People, are there any important dates in May or June that might clash with Hotcats, PMS or Dorf Offs?
Request dates for June Hotcats now if you please :)
1st of May is already out cause of Animania of course.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I dunno about that smash bank idea, seems sorta unnecessary?
Also Mt. Gravatt venue is ok, but it's gay for me to get to, is all.
Although they're making a connecting train service for Ipswich and Beenleigh, I think.
... Hopefully within the next 10 friggin' years.

Also I'll more than likely be busy around mid-June till begining of July. =]

In other news...
I want a Wii. ololo

Sirias

Smash Champion
... I don't want a Wii, because I'd have no games to play.
Plus I can't play games anyway because my mum stares through the miniscule gaps in my door to see if I am, and then she yells at me and tells my dad to beat me up.
:D

Also, I'll be busy around then because it's not only MY birthday, but close to 2-important-people-to-me's birthdays as well.
Kay.

Edit:

I bet you think I'm joking about the first part, lol.
Nonetheless I'll grab your Wii off of you if you all don't care, Nick.
Could find some games to play, like...
Anything.
Considering I haven't played any Wii games but Brawl and SMB. <3

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
Antho (and anybody else interested), Jesse shoulda told you this already at pms, but i don't have my laptop anymore, it got "borrowed" indefinitely by somebody i don't know. as did all my recording gear. I'm currently trying to replace everything asap.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
yay due to last minute cancellation which was more notice than ben even tho he planned to go :S
i was able to come yeh, good times ya bunch of wizards.

respect for sea beasting with dorf.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
PMS is so ****.. srsly, travel a bajillion miles, pay like $20 for no chance of a return, venue is **** and t.vs are terrible. I'm not going again, and neither is kas/nick/scott/michael so far lol.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind the travel distance but the $20 tourney fee is pretty ****. I think we should find another venue down there that doesn't cost nearly as much. I guess i will continue to go to pms though to help boost numbers for gold coast tourneys. GC smashers make the trip up for hotcat's and hopefully dorf-offs so i'll make the effort to attend pms.

I had fun anyway and really wish i could've stayed for crews and the melee tournament but i had to drive those other 2 wizards up for some gig in the valley. Thanks Chris (R4VEN) and whoever else organized it.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
hotcats is cheaper, with prize money, on non laggy t.v's at an easily accessible venue and runs both games. Theres always transport problems as well, michael had to taxi or something, scott had to take nick like 30 minutes of his route to drop him home, I didn't get till 2:30am.. It's too far away and it finishes too late.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
-If I have enough time, I will try and run some tourneys at Bond, with a $5 entry fee, with 100% of it going to the pot

-The only negative thing about PMS is that there isn't any incentive to win, 1st place doesn't even get you your entry fee. Like in the last match James, went mk against me in norfair for fun, there wasn't really as much competitive vibe, which is important if rankings are to be based off this

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
So PMS = **** aye? I was thinking about going to the next one but I guess you guys have put me off it lol. Is there any local meets such as Bob's place on Animania weekend?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Why would I disagree with a sound argument? I will debate negative feedback with reasoning, and usually I state that I agree that my ideas are a little off the beaten track.

There's little room to defend PMS here. The advantage of the venue are the TVs available for us and a public venue, but the cons easily outweigh it. I was hoping that in the long run we'd start to receive some support from the venue, but it looks like that's not going to happen. They are a business afterall.

On the other hand, places like LanSmash and GameTraders don't stand to try and make a profit from us. So I'm more inclined to stick with them. LanSmash consistently supports us with equipment, space and pot money (for majors), whilst Game Traders is looking at giving us mall space to run a tournament in the future. For free.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Nick?! Being good at Street Fighter?!

With both versions?!

PMS is sooo expensive... and when I heard that there wasn't any prize money was just absolutely ridiculous... ended up spending about 50 bucks? JUST for that one night, $20 for fuel, $20 for entry, $10 for food... sigh...

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
You buy food anyway.
Dont complain about petrol....95% of you live with parents and have no rent issues etc
People should have their own lifts organized....never assume or you make an *** out of u and me.
Still didnt stop me from feeling bad about not driving said ****s :( sorry guys i was full. :ohwell:
Other arguments are valid but.

If we dont get Bond Uni, I reckon its time to return to Helensvale Community Centre.
Its been good to us in the past.
BBQ Facilitys!

-me and ben should team one time before Tempest. team name: Latte Sipping ****s

-PEOPLE! May 22nd/23rd is almost certain to be next Hotcats.
Start thinking about June date now, how about say...the 19th/20th, 2 weeks out from Tempest?
Sound good?
Cheers :)

-Go Sea you massive Wizard!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sure is Toki. Quick train ride from Robina, then a 10 minute walk or so. You cross the highway, pass a fire station, pass a park and then you're there.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
My fellow Wizards.

Anyone want to play indoor soccer, i believe the new season starts June28th or so.
http://www.ozsports.com/soccer.html
Its just up the road from me.
I'll investigate when they play that game, if its Friday Night itd be PERFECT I think.

Good team bonding for QLD Smash :)

"-PEOPLE! May 22nd/23rd is almost certain to be next Hotcats.
Start thinking about June date now, how about say...the 19th/20th, 2 weeks out from Tempest?
Sound good?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom