• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pyro-Planing

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Incase nobody noticed/had a use for it.
Run, use Fox's Firefox and hit on the opposite direction like you were doing a PWG (sorta), the firefox will slide backwards a little bit (sort of similar to Squirtles hydroplaning).

It's actually a pretty nifty trick to toss up with instead of a pivot wave grab. You'll hit a lot of opening shields for some good damage, and firefox goes far enough horizontal to basically reset.

Pretty minimal risk and a nice chunk of damage, plus ANOTHER thing that your opponent needs to avoid.

PS: Firefox does 26%

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I've always wanted a use for Fire Fox offensively and you might have found one. I shall look into it.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Marsulas, Hydro-Planning doesn't hit for the first couple frames before you slide back onto the opponent.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Oh my bad, I see what your talking about now, if it's shielded you could be in for a lot of trouble though.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Absolutely not! Since you're behind them, they can't drop their shield or do anything until you blast away and reset positions. I'm pretty sure even a dolphin slash won't beat it.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Oh I see it. The timing seems to be a little tricky but he almost just... teleports over a step and faces the other way. Neat.

I'm not sure if that slide distance will help its utility though.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I request a fox vid executing this technique.At last Firefox can be an offensive strategy.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Absolutely not! Since you're behind them, they can't drop their shield or do anything until you blast away and reset positions. I'm pretty sure even a dolphin slash won't beat it.
Any disjointed Dsmash will eat through this like cake, unfortunately.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
dolphin slash beats it, yes... it's a decent tactic, but very risky in thoughts of a roll or a move out of shield that can beat it.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
Is this not just a B-reversal? Anyway, while messing with this I managed to do a Cape Glide with Fox's Up-B. If you don't know what a Cape Glide is, check the Mario forums. It's the exact same concept, but with Fox's Up-B. I don't know if this is known or not, but it doesn't seem very useful to me.

I should note that the timing is harder than Cape Glide and not nearly as useful (if useful at all). I could possibly see it used to gimp some weaker recoveries, but I doubt it. You can mess around with this if you want, but I think it's not useful.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've done the "Pyro Glide" to edgehog. but this pyro-planing, might have to give it a try.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Is this not just a B-reversal? Anyway, while messing with this I managed to do a Cape Glide with Fox's Up-B. If you don't know what a Cape Glide is, check the Mario forums. It's the exact same concept, but with Fox's Up-B. I don't know if this is known or not, but it doesn't seem very useful to me.

I should note that the timing is harder than Cape Glide and not nearly as useful (if useful at all). I could possibly see it used to gimp some weaker recoveries, but I doubt it. You can mess around with this if you want, but I think it's not useful.
It's pretty useful if someone is either at really high percents that they could be KO'd by an upward Fire Fox or if there isn't alot of time. That way you could do damage and then aim it back at the stage and grab the ledge. I like to use it.

§witch

Smash Lord
Oh, you guys know about the vanisg glide with sheik right? Fox has the same kind of deal but it goes WAY farther. Also, after yoiu go out you can DI back to the stage before you launch.
EDIT: Holy ****, how on earth did someone say this before me?

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
(On a side note, the vanish glide with firefox is actually how this caught my attention. I accidentally used it on my brother and went "oh...I wonder if you can do that on a stage." And voila.)

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
So what's the quick description of how you do this glide? You just slide off the edge with Fire Fox?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Just like with Sheik, i'm assuming you quickly rotate the control stick from the dash position to the upward position the instant you take a step off the edge, Fox should perform the animation and since your grabbing the ledge, you should have no danger of being punished.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Vid on all or they didn't happen >_>
It's actually really easy and simple to understand, run off the stage and upb the instant you step off while rotating the control stick to grab the edge.

The more I used it today during some matches, the more I liked it. I never even thought of this before, but I think it could be very useful as another mixup for Foxs' edgeguarding game.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
I used it on another Fox to edgeguard who will remain unmentioned today, did a nice chunk of damage and FFing into the ledge let me be set up to edgeguard his descent back.

It's far superior to Sheiks.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I used it on another Fox to edgeguard who will remain unmentioned today, did a nice chunk of damage and FFing into the ledge let me be set up to edgeguard his descent back.

Vids or it didn't happen.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

How is it superior to Sheiks? Sheiks Vanish is a KO move while Fire Fox doesn't ko for a while.......in fact at what percentage does fire-fox kill at?(don't have my wii at the moment).

I'm looking for tricks to just make my Fox look overall flashier. I want a badass Fox with a mastery of Basics but also can throw in the occassional trick every now and then. We seriously need to start making our Foxes look sexier:)

On a more serious note, this could be a great edgeguarding tool. I know the original poster intended for it to be used on stage, but I see countless more uses for gimps.

Say you used dsmash and knocked someone off stage while your still at the middle of FD. Sometimes you won't have time for a shine-spike or an edgehug, because you can't get there quick enough. Using this "Pyro-Glide" is actually faster than edge hugging and if you connect, it's 28%! Thats a lot of free damage.

You also can use it as a means of edgehugging, it might just throw off the opponents timing if they're expecting just a regular edge hug.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Sheiks Vanish is a KO move while Fire Fox doesn't ko for a while.......in fact at what percentage does fire-fox kill at?(don't have my wii at the moment).
28% damage. I rest my case.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
28% damage. I rest my case.
You forgot to put "28% damage that never gets used". If we could implement it into our game, it could become a nice offensive weapon, but as of now that 28% damage isn't doing anything.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Sadly it's very easy to DI out of the firefox's flames. But I've been trying to utilise the burn on this attack for a long time.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sadly it's very easy to DI out of the firefox's flames. But I've been trying to utilise the burn on this attack for a long time.
Another thing, FireFox can be quarter-circle DI'ed out of. This can leave you wide open.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
Once again, Timing and element of surprise will bring this technique into effect. (just like most of his other attacks)

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Although this can be used for some good damage, most recoveries should be able to either avoid it or beat it. Be careful, because this leaves you wide open for a spike if your opponent quickly recovers underneath you and uses a rising D-air. (Depends on character.)

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
uhhhhh....Who uses Pyro-planing off the stage? Not I.

(Okay, I did it once to Fenrir on wifi, but irrelevant.)

Top Bottom