• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Telling someone so die-hard attached to a series to let it go is like telling someone who's angry to calm down. It's not going to work, and if anything it only makes them more agitated.

Just because our fandom is small now doesn't mean it can't get bigger. I mean, already it's a lot larger than I ever thought it would be! We have to spread word-of-mouth and let our voices be heard.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Telling someone so die-hard attached to a series to let it go is like telling someone who's angry to calm down. It's not going to work, and if anything it only makes them more agitated.

Just because our fandom is small now doesn't mean it can't get bigger. I mean, already it's a lot larger than I ever thought it would be! We have to spread word-of-mouth and let our voices be heard.
You don't have to, but I just wanted to point out that things ain't going to be turn up for PDP-fandom for long time.

I'm a die-hard fan too, and I'm pretty sure there's plenty more out there. Thing is that there's not much payoff and things to strongly go off from in present to really get this fandom rolling into anything close to cult fanbase.

We could try getting in more support but at the end, if it will have little chances to be rewarded (we'd just better off doing our own fan tributes at best IMO), then it's not going to be very encouraging, especially with what all other interests or things in life is there. And foremost all, if Nintendo and I.S aren't going to see it in big scale possibly (chances on that also being low due lack of resources or things to show MAJOR support enough to be heard), then well, we're going just be throwing our pleas to the wall.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Even if it doesn't do much on the Nintendo side of things, at least we introduced more people to the series, and to me, that's what really matters. EarthBound was ignored by Nintendo for years too, and it has one of the most loyal fanbases out of any I've ever been a part of.

Even if Nintendo is still too cowardly to even test the waters, we'd have introduced more people to a great "new?" series (And an adorable one too!). Who knows, at some point we might even get too big to ignore. Probably not, but we can say we tried!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well they are testing waters, just not with Panel de Pon. We let them know there's interest they may consider officially bringing it over here through the eShop. I doubt Intelligent Systems will completely ignore the franchise's 20th Anniversary, so something may show up later in the year.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello again!

Well ,well the Nintendo Direct was a suprising one! I mean it's sad there was so sign of PdP in the first line.

But the fact how they showed/presented the puzzlgames...!

1. A Semi-Pay-to-Play Game and it's a freaking puzzle game! Sure that Pokemon Shuffle has the face from one of nintys AAA+ IP's but still. Reckless move ...I like that! Very interested in opinions how that game is faring.

2. A Puzzlegame crossover with Nintendo and another company ,which is announced for west since 1994 (whoa 21 years[!]). They must be really sure about it! I mean is Nintendo really the best porter/preserver (That irony!!! Or is it cynicism?) for such minigames to the west? I think it's debatable maybe contract terms are the key...

As already stated by [AEM] they are indeed testing that waters again. I have no other explanations for it -maybe 2015 the year of "No Mario Game but instead Research And Development". Who knows... October 27th I send you my prayers :p

So far my thoughs have a nice time everyone till then.

LipFlare

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I find it very amusing that Super Mario Bros. characters are replacing the original anime-styled characters of a puzzle game once again! At least this time Nintendo isn't pretending it was always a Mario game.

This could mean that if Panel de Pon were released today, Yoshi would be starring alongside Lip, not instead of. I wonder if there are any remakes on the way...

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I had some downtime and wrote up a theoretical Palutena's Guidance conversation for equally theoretical Lip DLC (assuming they didn't just use the "intruder from another dimension" placeholder):

Palutena: That little girl you see is called Lip. Cute, isn't she?

Pit: Lip? She seems kind of girly. I'm not sure if beating her up would be ethical.

Viridi: That's interesting to hear coming from someone who was so eager to kick Medusa's butt.

Palutena: Lip is a flower fairy from the land of Popples. She first appeared in Panel de Pon on the Super Famicom.

Viridi: A flower fairy, huh? I should see if she's interested in joining the Forces of Nature.

Palutena: When her game was brought to the United States and Europe, it was retitled Tetris Attack, and she and her friends
were replaced with Yoshi characters.

Pit: Huh. I wonder if she feels about Yoshi the way I did about Pittoo.

Palutena: This is interesting... Apparently, her mother can also take on the appearance of the fairy goddess Corderia.

Pit: Nice! Three-letter name, connections with a goddess... I guess we have more in common than I thought.

Viridi: She probably isn't as dorky, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I recently remembered something someone here said (can't remember who it was though), so I made something. It's more proof of concept and I won't do more than that, as I'm really not a fan of Mario Kart Wii. Shading is messed up and the rig's not that great either, just did it as a little something next to a bigger project I'm working on.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I recently remembered something someone here said (can't remember who it was though), so I made something. It's more proof of concept and I won't do more than that, as I'm really not a fan of Mario Kart Wii. Shading is messed up and the rig's not that great either, just did it as a little something next to a bigger project I'm working on.
Why isn't she over Yoshi??

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I recently remembered something someone here said (can't remember who it was though)
I think it was me, heheh.

It looks fantastic as always, Tai. Proof that Lip could work in a Mario Kart setting (read: more fuel for the #LipForMarioKart8DLC fire)!

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Wow. Suddenly i want to play Mario Kart Wii again. I need thisssss.

But Lip should've been over Baby Daisy or Baby Peach, as their voice clips would fit Lip a lot more.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
But Lip should've been over Baby Daisy or Baby Peach, as their voice clips would fit Lip a lot more.
Not really... the female babies in Wii are too squeaky sounding to really fit Lip. She's young, but not that young. A good English VA for Lip, in my opinion, would be someone who can sound youthful without also being shrill, like Hynden Walch, Tara Strong, Kerry Williams (if anyone knows who that is), or even Laura Faye Smith as Baby Rosalina.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not really... the female babies in Wii are too squeaky sounding to really fit Lip. She's young, but not that young. A good English VA for Lip, in my opinion, would be someone who can sound youthful without also being shrill, like Hynden Walch, Tara Strong, Kerry Williams (if anyone knows who that is), or even Laura Faye Smith as Baby Rosalina.
Excuse me, but when you say Kerry Williams, do you mean the 4Kids Entertainment voice actor of Tifff from Kirby: Right Back At Ya! and various voices on Sonic X? and MANY other 4Kids shows?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Excuse me, but when you say Kerry Williams, do you mean the 4Kids Entertainment voice actor of Tifff from Kirby: Right Back At Ya! and various voices on Sonic X? and MANY other 4Kids shows?
That's the one.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm not sure. You don't see a lot of 4Kids regulars anymore (the company's reputation doesn't help). I was using her as an example anyway.

The topic of English Panel de Pon voice casts would be interesting to discuss, though.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
For the two people who still read this thread, I don't think I've ever shown this off:

It's a Dr. Mario ROM hack I made out of boredom one day... It still needs some polish, but it's playable enough. (All the Mario characters have been replaced, anyway!)

Download here.

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
I'm subscribed to this thread so I still read it lol. I didn't even know there were any pdp/ta sites left. Guess they are all extinct now. :/

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
...if obscure characters like Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B. and Mr.Game & Watch can make it into Smash, i don't see why not Lip.
Too bad she doesn't really get that much attention. : (

For the two people who still read this thread, I don't think I've ever shown this off:

It's a Dr. Mario ROM hack I made out of boredom one day... It still needs some polish, but it's playable enough. (All the Mario characters have been replaced, anyway!)

Download here.
Haha, oh wow!
I love this! : D

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Download here.
This is very cute! I love it. What are the inspirations for those viruses?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I did. I was the one wrecking everyone. :p
I'd have absolutely loved to try it out, but I've only played Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon SNES, so the physics might've been slightly different. But yeah, Panel de Pon is the one game that I could probably do well competitively. :D

If anyone has any ideas how to implement online multiplayer, let me know. I'm not anywhere close to getting anything finished (I've been EXTREMELY busy with work the past few months), but tips on implementing online multiplayer would be helpful in the future. Otherwise, I have an idea, but its not the easiest to implement.

EDIT: Oh, and goddamn Nintendo HAS to at some point release a Panel de Pon game on VC. I'm dying to play Panel de Pon again and the only way for me to play it is take a 6 hour drive to my parents and play Tetris Attack there. Well, I guess I can play on the PC but its not very ideal.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'd have absolutely loved to try it out, but I've only played Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon SNES, so the physics might've been slightly different. But yeah, Panel de Pon is the one game that I could probably do well competitively. :D

If anyone has any ideas how to implement online multiplayer, let me know. I'm not anywhere close to getting anything finished (I've been EXTREMELY busy with work the past few months), but tips on implementing online multiplayer would be helpful in the future. Otherwise, I have an idea, but its not the easiest to implement.

EDIT: Oh, and goddamn Nintendo HAS to at some point release a Panel de Pon game on VC. I'm dying to play Panel de Pon again and the only way for me to play it is take a 6 hour drive to my parents and play Tetris Attack there. Well, I guess I can play on the PC but its not very ideal.

They don't? I don't recall them having Tetris Attack but I thought some sort of Panel De Pon game was on eShop. I'll check really quick!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They don't? I don't recall them having Tetris Attack but I thought some sort of Panel De Pon game was on eShop. I'll check really quick!
I was pretty sure it was Japan only. Also, I'm only on Wii U. Then again, they might have one on the Wii eShop...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Pokemon Puzzle League is on the Virtual Console (according to Wikipedia...) and plays pretty similar to Tetris Attack. It has a variety of modes and is worth the money. There's a lot of settings too! But this was on Wii Virtual Console. I think N64 games are being planned for later for WiiU Virtual Console.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Download here.
You gotta make a Yoshi ROM hack. For great justice.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Is anyone here interested in taking my revised poll? If so, the link is in my signature.
I did it but I can't see the results...

Download here.
This is wesome!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999

Download here.
Hahaha, this is the best!
Such a silly obscure idea to make a hack of Doctor Mario with Lip, but I love it!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Late replies, but thanks for the kind words on Dr. Lip, everyone!

Hahaha, this is the best!
Such a silly obscure idea to make a hack of Doctor Mario with Lip, but I love it!
Although it wasn't the original intention, hopefully now we can all feel better about Dr. Mario getting into SSB4 while Lip and Panel de Pon got shafted a third time, heheh. Turnabout is fair play, Nintendo.

This is very cute! I love it. What are the inspirations for those viruses?
The red virus is a bacteriophage, the yellow virus is a combination of a coccus and a pollen spore, and the blue virus is an amoeba.

You gotta make a Yoshi ROM hack. For great justice.
Hah, that would be great, but it probably won't be happening. Yoshi's sprites in Yoshi's Island are made up of separate parts that are all laid on top of each other to create fluid animation, which really limits you in terms of what you can draw in replacement. Even if by some twist of logic I were able to get a functional sprite working, this would still result in Lip and a bunch of palette-swapped clones running around with whatever I decide to replace Mario with on their backs (because I'm not sure if there's enough space in the ROM to replace the other colored Yoshis with the other fairies, and that would require ASM anyway). Shame, I've already written out a Popples-ified story for it...

I was actually considering hacking the Game Boy Tetris Attack back into Panel de Pon for a brief time, but the graphics are compressed and I don't have the coding mastery needed to write a program that will un-compress them (or the assembly knowledge to replace the music that needs to be replaced). Maybe someday. I did make a mock-up of it, though.

---

On a related note, has anyone played Majora's Mask 3D yet? There are Carnival of Time posters in the game that have a very interesting and familiar) logo design. I'll see if I can get a screenshot to show you all.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Hah, that would be great, but it probably won't be happening. Yoshi's sprites in Yoshi's Island are made up of separate parts that are all laid on top of each other to create fluid animation, which really limits you in terms of what you can draw in replacement. Even if by some twist of logic I were able to get a functional sprite working, this would still result in Lip and a bunch of palette-swapped clones running around with whatever I decide to replace Mario with on their backs (because I'm not sure if there's enough space in the ROM to replace the other colored Yoshis with the other fairies, and that would require ASM anyway). Shame, I've already written out a Popples-ified story for it...
I said Yoshi, not Yoshi's Island. Though I suppose it is also known as Mario & Yoshi.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I said Yoshi, not Yoshi's Island. Though I suppose it is also known as Mario & Yoshi.
Oooh! That's a good idea!
Or even Yoshi's Cookie! But I only say that out of personal preference ^^;

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Ohh, I see. That's much more doable. Barring any hurdles such as compressed graphics - although I don't see why a simplistic NES puzzle game would have any - that should be pretty easy to do.

Assuming the maximum available amount of tiles (there are probably less), here's a title screen mock-up. Ignore the unedited title, I haven't really thought of a good one yet. I'm leaning towards "Lip & Windy" though.
Also the first time I've ever drawn one of the mascot characters!

Last edited:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello there!

Nice a Yoshi mod with PdP-characters that is in so many ways justified! The world in PdP is Mario alike so the enemys could be remaining the same I guess (or could be replaced with PdP-blocks which seems time-efficient). Despite that Luigi is in that game just a palette swap of Mario, he needs to be replaced for Windy which whould be fitting (despite that I like Lip/Flare more, Lip/Windy make the titlescreen canon^^).

Story for it could be: *cough* It's spring and Lip and Windy starting their annualy competition; who help the birds to hatch more eggs (they are in dire need of help every year) by feeding them (the eggs of course) with their magic and healthy blocks to ensure the growth of the hatchling, potential up to a phoenix-state ( 7 blocks between a completed egg for example :p).

Lip in Smash 5 (or even better as a DLC in Smash 4) needs to happen I want to see her ingame and as a amiibo or as a official-from-ninty-figure. Panel de Pon 20th anniversary limited edition ...give me... ahhh. I need to stop for today.

Have a good time everyone.

LipFlare

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
While it may seem like a silly contribution to the fanbase, I've actually gotten back to work on my "Ask the Fairy of Flowers" blog on tumblr again. I made it with hopes of introducing more people to the character (as well as learning to draw human figures better), so even if I could introduce Panel de Pon to a few people through what I make, then I will have accomplished my goal with it.
http://fairyofflowers.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Download here.
I tested it. It was seriously awesome. :)

:231:

Top Bottom