• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Duck Hunt Dog? :troll:
Let's not start this again.

Nintendo doing digital releases for several older games could potentially bring Panel de pon and other games that never got international releases. Let's hope they take advantage of the situation. All they need is to translate the games right?
It'd certainly get around the trademark issues keeping them from putting out Tetris Attack, plus it'd mean we get the game in unaltered form for the first time ever! Unfortunately though, like I mentioned before, I bet you they're waiting for the N64 VC to go up on the Wii U so they can put out Pokemon Puzzle League instead.

Basically all they'd have to do is translate/localize it, yes. There's no objectionable content to be removed.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Oh Trin-chan, will you please localize Panel de Pan for us? *~*

If we all make the most innocent-looking eyes in his general direction, it just might work!

I'm kidding. I know it's not really up to him.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Hooray! We're safe for another day. Though, this latest PotD got me thinking...what if Lip's hair was a potential "helmet" for the Mii Fighters? Not sure if there will even be "hair" helmets, but it's at least something to think about.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hooray! We're safe for another day. Though, this latest PotD got me thinking...what if Lip's hair was a potential "helmet" for the Mii Fighters? Not sure if there will even be "hair" helmets, but it's at least something to think about.
I'm pretty sure only playable fighters will get a costume like that.

Now, what would really be interesting would be if we got a Panel de Pon Assist Trophy that wasn't Lip - like, say, Windy or Flare. I'd take that as an outright indirect confirmation, sorta like the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Now, what would really be interesting would be if we got a Panel de Pon Assist Trophy that wasn't Lip - like, say, Windy or Flare. I'd take that as an outright indirect confirmation, sorta like the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run.
Well, all the helmets so far are apparently on Streetpass. That said, I can definitely see all future playable fighters getting hats on Streetpass, and if Lip is playable the same with her.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Double Post
Just a bit of a general notice, if you haven't given a vote yet, the Lip supporters here who would be cool seeing her realized in Project M should definitely leave her a vote (either a full +1 or a half +1/2) in the Clone Engine thread when they get the chance. The link's in my sig if you'd like to.

This is a really really cool move set and was actually what I thought Lip would be like regarding being the sole rep of all the Nintendo Puzzle League games before educating myself some more and realizing that PdP stuff and Lip herself had enough to create a full move set from. Good job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337

Good point. I always imagined Seren being the PDP assist if Lip got in for some reason. Imagine "PK Starstorm: The Assist Trophy".

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Good point. I always imagined Seren being the PDP assist if Lip got in for some reason. Imagine "PK Starstorm: The Assist Trophy".
I thought Flare would be the Assist Trophy pick, myself. But I'm biased, I always liked her.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I personally would take Windy, Flare, Seren, or maybe even Ruby. Aw, heck! Why not? I'll take any of the fairies! (And yes, that even includes Lip!:rolleyes:) (As long as Lip gets exposure in any "important" way in this game, such as being playable, or even an AT, I'll be happy!) BTW, if Lip is, by some miracle, playable in this game, do you all think she should have her daughter, Furil, as an alt. for her, or do you all think that even for Lip, that's a bit redundant?

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
My ideal assist would be Selene.

Just so she could do that laugh before she leaves.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My ideal assist would be Selene.

Just so she could do that laugh before she leaves.
Never beats her slowed down laugh for Cordelia to me.

I'd love Sherbet or Flare, especially Sherbet: My headcanon to her is that she's Phospora-fangirl. Think then if she's there in the same "place" as her. Ah ah ah.

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I personally would take Windy, Flare, Seren, or maybe even Ruby. Aw, heck! Why not? I'll take any of the fairies! (And yes, that even includes Lip!:rolleyes:) (As long as Lip gets exposure in any "important" way in this game, such as being playable, or even an AT, I'll be happy!) BTW, if Lip is, by some miracle, playable in this game, do you all think she should have her daughter, Furil, as an alt. for her, or do you all think that even for Lip, that's a bit redundant?
There's hardly any physical difference between the two (aside from the hair), so I would doubt. However...what if Furil ended up being playable instead? I mean, she looks just like Lip and has the same abilities. It'd be an excuse to keep Lip's Stick as an item, too.

Luminario

Smash Lord
There's hardly any physical difference between the two (aside from the hair), so I would doubt. However...what if Furil ended up being playable instead? I mean, she looks just like Lip and has the same abilities. It'd be an excuse to keep Lip's Stick as an item, too.
as long as we get ONE flower fairy in Smash that would be fine.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Pretty sure Furil has the same stick (despite its name) so I dunno how it'd excuse the item.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Pretty sure Furil has the same stick (despite its name) so I dunno how it'd excuse the item.
Oh really? I thought she had her own stick (which looks exactly like/similar to Lip's).
as long as we get ONE flower fairy in Smash that would be fine.
Everyone here can agree to that, haha. That begs another question though...even if Lip is confirmed as an assist trophy/regular trophy, would that affect Furil's chances at all? I could imagine Sakurai doing something like having Lip be an assist and Furil playable just to screw with the fans, showing off Lip first to kill everyone's hope and then "HAHA, IT'S OKAY. YOU GUYS GET TO PLAY AS SOMEONE WHO LOOKS/WOULD PLAY EXACTLY LIKE HER." Maybe I'm getting my hopes too high and putting too much faith in Sakurai tho

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Brawl localized Furil's name as Lip if that means anything.

I think if we're ever getting a PdP character, though, it will be Lip. She made her debut earlier and has more nostalgia.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
After seeing the move set, I really think Lip should be a character, if not at the very least an assist trophie.

I support.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Always good to get more support. : ) Welcome to the "Lip club", as it were!

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Y'know I have to say I'm boggled that up to this point Lip hasn't physically appeared in any of the Smash Games. You figure we had Lip's Stick back in Melee, and Kirby's had her Garbage Block as one of his rock transformations since then as well. I'd assumed that she'd be a trophy if not an assist in Brawl, but NOTHING, it was strange. Even her music was in Brawl, but not her.

Then of course there's the strange rumor I heard that the Green Greens stage in Melee was originally planned out to be a Panel de Pon stage, with the panels swapping and vanishing on the two sides and garbage blocks dropping from above.

But anyhoo, really hope to see Lip show up playable, there's so much fun that can be had with her moveset. I especially like the idea of her forward-smash being a powerful sneeze, playing on her appearance in Captain Rainbow. Imagine that as her attack is charging up she's going, "Aaa....AAA.... AHH!!!" and the 'Choo' comes upon release.

D

Deleted member

Been a while since my last post here, eh? Well, with Alice nearly finished (just need to tidy up the hair and UV maps), I figured I would redo Lip, because I always hated how she turned out. It doesn't resemble Lip as of now, but here's an early look:

But what I actually wanted to ask, something regarding the skirt:

Keep the belt or not? I personally prefer it with the belt and maybe a flower belt bucket, because it makes Lip seem a bit more modern, compared to the plain blue part of the skirt that is in the official art.
Also what abot the skirt as a whole? Keep the two layered skirt? Or use something simpler?

Then of course there's the strange rumor I heard that the Green Greens stage in Melee was originally planned out to be a Panel de Pon stage, with the panels swapping and vanishing on the two sides and garbage blocks dropping from above.
You mean in this thread, right? I don't believe it, due to the simple fact that Kirby Superstar also had a room that featured falling Star Blocks. Granted, they fell as stars and only turned into blocks when touching the ground, but Smash never bothers with 100% accuracy.

But anyhoo, really hope to see Lip show up playable, there's so much fun that can be had with her moveset. I especially like the idea of her forward-smash being a powerful sneeze, playing on her appearance in Captain Rainbow. Imagine that as her attack is charging up she's going, "Aaa....AAA.... AHH!!!" and the 'Choo' comes upon release.
Please no. Just let us never speak of how atrocious Captain Rainbow handeled certain characters and I certainly don't want to see her with snot hanging from her nose in Smash Bros.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
You should definitely keep the belt, dude. It's a neat touch that makes her look less..."plain". As for the skirt, I personally think the two layered skirt looks great! Perhaps adding frills one the end of them would help compliment her flower/fairy motif? That's a great model, by the way.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know what'd be really neat? If she had like a little green leaf-shaped bag attached to her waist. You know, going by the flower theme she has going on.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Keep the belt. Keep the double-skirt. Keep everything! Say, out of curiosity, what are you using this model for? (Please say at least, Project M!)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The two-layered skirt I'm iffy about. Except for Pit, the SSB series' redesigns have never really been that drastic, mostly amounting to added detail - even the Ice Climbers basically look like upscale versions of their 8-bit sprites. Make it frillier, perhaps, add a more intricate design maybe, but let that be it. I've always interpreted the blue-colored part as a belt, though (I usually draw it with a buckle when I'm not trying to adhere to the game's art style).

I'm not so sure about the whole "Green Greens was supposed to be a Panel de Pon stage" deal since it could also be a reference to the SNES Kirby's Star Stacker or, like you said, those rooms in Super Star with the falling blocks. The set-up is quite similar to a two-player match, though.

I don't have a problem with the sneezing thing but it doesn't need to be an attack. Lip isn't a sickly kid, she was just shown to have ironic allergies in Captain Rainbow (which is most likely non-canon anyhow). I saw one, maybe two movesets that had it as a taunt, and that's all I think it should be.

Last edited:

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Well then as my 'sneeze' Smash idea was shot down (and Lip was quite adorable in Captain Rainbow y'know), I've always thought her recovery special would be her zipping along with a rainbow appearing under her feet.

D

Deleted member

Well... I didn't really manage to do much today. Lemme just say, let us never speak of Lip's skirt again and leave it at that, haha. And speaking of which, I replace the one with another nicer looking two-layered one, due to the positive reception. Also shamelessly reusing part of the hair from the old model, he. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Say, out of curiosity, what are you using this model for? (Please say at least, Project M!)
No. I said before, I can't rig, nor do I intend to learn it. Now if people want to import her, then I wouldn't object though. Right now, it's just for fun, because I hated how the old model turnd out.

The two-layered skirt I'm iffy about. Except for Pit, the SSB series' redesigns have never really been that drastic, mostly amounting to added detail - even the Ice Climbers basically look like upscale versions of their 8-bit sprites. Make it frillier, perhaps, add a more intricate design maybe, but let that be it.
I don't think a two-layered skirt is comparable to Pit's entire redesign. Pit barely looks like he did in the old Kid Icarus games and the Melee trophy. So yeah, I wouldn't call a two-layered skirt a drastic redesing. Now I were to give her kneesocks, maybe change the boots to Mary Janes, the ribbon into a flowery headband and gave her bike shorts (hi, Pit), then that would be too drastic drastic. But I don't think small changes like a skirt can hurt.

And speaking of changes, sometimes staying too close to the original can also result in something boring looking.
Pretty boring design by today's standard, right? If she were to be added in Smash, I would bet there would be some differences. I'd say it's a case by case basis. I mean, how would you update the look of the Ice Climbers anyway? There's not much room. Pit on the other hand, had much more potential, seeing as he's an angel. The fact that Pit came a Smash generation after the Ice Climbers probably helped, too. Maybe they didn't feel like updating the look of a retro character at that time? Or not enough potential? No one can say.

But look at me rambling on... That's probably not the best place to discuss this, hehe.

I too am making a thing.

Not bad for a first try. But there are quite a few odd things I noticed that I wanna point out:
  • the whole body should be smoothed. Right now it looks N64/Sega Saturn low poly. Especially the head and upper body.
  • the hair ribbon looks very stiff, like it's made out of cardboard
  • the flowers look weird. The top three petals are round, the bottom two are pointy.
  • the boots look very flat in the front. Could also be just the perspective
  • and lastly, the skirt looks very stiff. It basically goes straight down diagonally. If you want the bottom part to have a bigger radius than the top, try making it slightly curved.
But not bad for an early model and especially for a first try.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Alice is a bit simplistic, yeah (sort of like something out of an '80s kiddie cartoon), but the Ice Climbers are too. Lip still has a pretty solid design by today's standards. Unique and recognizable. Most of the cast does, in fact.

If/when you release this, I might try to rig a Source Filmmaker or MMD model with it if it's all right with you. : )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, after all, it's just a subjective matter, I think Lip could stand to have a few changes to her design, as long as it's nothing major like this. Let's not forget that even official stuff is inconsistent. Sometimes her skirt has that blue part, sometimes it has the same color as the skirt. Not to mention that sometimes she's missing the white stripe on her skirt as well. Long story short... Lip's weird, haha.

Eh, I'd actually really like to see a GMOD model of her... even if I don't even have the game, he. As for MMD... that one rather not. Let's just say the MMD community isn't exactly the nicest one out there from what I could gather and leave it at that.

And just so the post isn't completely without anything new...
Yep, boots are reused, too, they didn't look bad after all. Still, I did some edits to them and I think they look far nicer now. Maybe a bit too big, but that's a five second job, so I'll make one smaller and keep the other one the same size to easily compare them.

And because why not, here's a comparison with the old model:
And for those who dislike the new skirt, I'll probably make a model with the old one there, that should make everyone happy, haha. And of course, ignore the missing stuff and textures, but that should go without saying, I guess.

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom