• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

D

Deleted member

But the textures were the same, except in the smash 64, it had a different kind of colour, look up ness portrait in the melee page.
No, they weren't. Potrait doesn't matter, in-game matters and in-game, Ness' bat had a different texture. Always had and probably always will. Look at my edit above. And if you don't believe me, boot up any Smash game and check for yourself.

And as I said, the trophies have always attributed the bats to the Smash series, not Earthbound.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The aluminum-bat redesign in SSB4 sort of killed the EarthBound thing, but the Fire Flower and Screw Attack et al. still stand.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The main problem with a Pilot Wings rep is there really are no characters... Panel de Pon has Lip as a mascot (even if she's not being used nowadays), Pilot Wings doesn't have anyone really.
What about Lark (aka Nester)?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The main problem with a Pilot Wings rep is there really are no characters... Panel de Pon has Lip as a mascot (even if she's not being used nowadays), Pilot Wings doesn't have anyone really.
Thank you, @Arcadenik, That's one thing I was just about to say. Also, not to sound like I'm bragging, but I now own the Pilot Wings thread on SmashBoards, and forgive me if I'm sounding a bit "snippy" JaidynReiman, but you might want to take a look at this:

The main cast of Pilot Wings 64. While I do know that Pilot Wings probably doesn't have a "single" rep to rep the series as a whole, I guess I'm just trying to say Pilot Wings does have unique character options for Sakurai to choose from. (And interestingly, from what I've seen, whenever this series is mentioned to have a playable character, most people believe Sakurai would simply choose either Lark (the little boy in the middle there) and/or Goose (the guy at the far left with the U.S.A motif going for him, there.)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Weren't they only in Pilotwings 64, though? The original game had no player characters at all, just instructors/COs/whatever you want to call them, and Resort uses Miis instead the last time I checked.

There are some parallels between the Panel de Pon fairies and the Pilotwings 64 cast, now that I think about it... Both of them are from a franchise that began on the SNES, and both seemed to have legitimate promise but were dropped after a game or two. (Although - and I admit I'm pretty biased when I say this - I think it's more baffling that Nintendo is choosing not to capitalize on PDP's main cast. They're both easy sells in this day and age, especially among the casual market, but Popples as a universe always seemed to me to have so much unexplored potential...)

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I don't think I've ever posted in here, strangely. Lip is in my top 10most wanted newcomers, I would absolutely love to see her appear as a playable character in smash. And I can't be the only one who thinks her item doesn't disconfirm her, right?
I mean, I said this in another thread, even if she does have the lip stick in her moveset, it wouldn't do the same thing as the item does, or she could become pretty broken lol.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Weren't they only in Pilotwings 64, though? The original game had no player characters at all, just instructors/COs/whatever you want to call them, and Resort uses Miis instead the last time I checked.

There are some parallels between the Panel de Pon fairies and the Pilotwings 64 cast, now that I think about it... Both of them are from a franchise that began on the SNES, and both seemed to have legitimate promise but were dropped after a game or two. (Although - and I admit I'm pretty biased when I say this - I think it's more baffling that Nintendo is choosing not to capitalize on PDP's main cast. They're both easy sells in this day and age, especially among the casual market, but Popples as a universe always seemed to me to have so much unexplored potential...)
Well, I suppose you're right. My point was really that, just like PdP, At least Pilot Wings HAS someone distinctive to use as a playable rep at all (By this, I mean that at least PdP has Lip, and PW doesn't exactly have any set characters, except maybe Lark from Pilot Wings 64.) and I hope no one minds me bringing this up, but think about it, Pilot Wings (the stage:rolleyes:) has been one of the earliest confirmed stages and no one (notable) has been de-confirmed for the series, with the exception of Miis using Pilot Wings gear to fight (Yes, people actually considered Miis as an option for a playable Pilot Wings rep), and they're already seen on Wuhu Island as a background feature in that particular portion of Pilot Wings (again, the stage.:rolleyes:) So, with characters like Lark and/or Goose still an option along with a few others, Pilot Wings still has a fighting chance as long as Sakurai does NOT do ANYTHING to de-confrim all 6 (7, if you count the Golden Pilot of the first game) characters of the Pilot Wings games. within the next 35 or so days until the Japanese release. BTW, I also wanted to say that I still do deeply support Lip to appear herself in any way in the game (Whether it be a playable character, AT, or even a TROPHY) I just feel a bit too strongly about a Pilot Wings character appearing in SSB4 in some way in-game, and considering that no "REAL" de-confrimations have been made to the Pilot Wings cast (not counting Miis, obviously.) I've got a good feeling for them to show up somehow. Overall, I support both Lip and ANY Pilot wings rep to be playable or at least show up in some "important" way in the game.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Well, I suppose you're right. My point was really that, just like PdP, At least Pilot Wings HAS someone distinctive to use as a playable rep at all (By this, I mean that at least PdP has Lip, and PW doesn't exactly have any set characters, except maybe Lark from Pilot Wings 64.) and I hope no one minds me bringing this up, but think about it, Pilot Wings (the stage:rolleyes:) has been one of the earliest confirmed stages and no one (notable) has been de-confirmed for the series, with the exception of Miis using Pilot Wings gear to fight (Yes, people actually considered Miis as an option for a playable Pilot Wings rep), and they're already seen on Wuhu Island as a background feature in that particular portion of Pilot Wings (again, the stage.:rolleyes:) So, with characters like Lark and/or Goose still an option along with a few others, Pilot Wings still has a fighting chance as long as Sakurai does NOT do ANYTHING to de-confrim all 6 (7, if you count the Golden Pilot of the first game) characters of the Pilot Wings games. within the next 35 or so days until the Japanese release. BTW, I also wanted to say that I still do deeply support Lip to appear herself in any way in the game (Whether it be a playable character, AT, or even a TROPHY) I just feel a bit too strongly about a Pilot Wings character appearing in SSB4 in some way in-game, and considering that no "REAL" de-confrimations have been made to the Pilot Wings cast (not counting Miis, obviously.) I've got a good feeling for them to show up somehow. Overall, I support both Lip and ANY Pilot wings rep to be playable or at least show up in some "important" way in the game.
A Pilotwing's character would be interesting to see, though due to lack of familiarity with the series I've little idea what would form the move-set. The series is pretty deserving of representation within SSB, it's a fairly well known 3 game series even if people aren't particularly familiar with each entry or the characters, and it has served as a launch title for both the N64 and 3DS.

With that said then, the matter of whether it deserves a playable character in SSB simply comes down to whether their is a particular character who can represent the series and whether they can have a full and unique move-set. The former seems pretty settled for options, and I'm sure as a Pilotwings fans you could present a unique, natural move-set for one to have. So not one I'm personally rooting for, but a Pilotwings rep could make for an interesting and deserving choice.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A Pilotwing's character would be interesting to see, though due to lack of familiarity with the series I've little idea what would form the move-set. The series is pretty deserving of representation within SSB, it's a fairly well known 3 game series even if people aren't particularly familiar with each entry or the characters, and it has served as a launch title for both the N64 and 3DS.

With that said then, the matter of whether it deserves a playable character in SSB simply comes down to whether their is a particular character who can represent the series and whether they can have a full and unique move-set. The former seems pretty settled for options, and I'm sure as a Pilotwings fans you could present a unique, natural move-set for one to have. So not one I'm personally rooting for, but a Pilotwings rep could make for an interesting and deserving choice.
Actually, if you don't mind me saying, Pilot Wings actually has the distinction of being a launch title for SNES, N64, and 3DS. It's basically been a launch title to demonstrate each system's power. I am happy however, that someone recognizes Pilot Wings characters to have moveset potential!:b: BTW, I don't suppose you support a Pilot Wings character, do you? I have a Pilot Wings thread on SmashBoards and it could always use new supporters.:lol: Also, this question also goes out to Arcadenik as well.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Actually, if you don't mind me saying, Pilot Wings actually has the distinction of being a launch title for SNES, N64, and 3DS. It's basically been a launch title to demonstrate each system's power. I am happy however, that someone recognizes Pilot Wings characters to have moveset potential!:b: BTW, I don't suppose you support a Pilot Wings character, do you? I have a Pilot Wings thread on SmashBoards and it could always use new supporters.:lol: Also, this question also goes out to Arcadenik as well.
I swear to god this better not turn into another obscure character vs Lip thread.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I swear to god this better not turn into another obscure character vs Lip thread.
So long as it remains on the subject of Lip in SSB, I don't see why it should matter too much as long as it doesn't get as heated as the Duck Hunt Dog thing.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So long as it remains on the subject of Lip in SSB, I don't see why it should matter too much as long as it doesn't get as heated as the Duck Hunt Dog thing.
Trust me guys, I was not trying to turn this into a "Lip vs. Pilot Wings" heated debate. I just wanted to point out that Pilot Wings actually DOES have pretty legit options for playable characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What about Lark (aka Nester)?
Excuse me, Arcadenik, but on the risk of getting off-topic of Lip one more time, do you mind if I add you to the Pilot Wings support list on Smash Boards? We really need some new supporters.:lol: BTW, Thanks for suggesting my "main" in Pilot Wings 64!:b:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Excuse me, Arcadenik, but on the risk of getting off-topic of Lip one more time, do you mind if I add you to the Pilot Wings support list on Smash Boards? We really need some new supporters.:lol: BTW, Thanks for suggesting my "main" in Pilot Wings 64!:b:
Sure, why not? I always liked Nester from the Nintendo Power magazines in the early 1990s. I also feel that Nester/Lark is in the same position as Lip since there's a Rocket Belt item that could have been Nester's Up+B move. At least Pilotwings got a stage... we don't have a Panel de Pon stage.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The enthusiasm here is really getting to me... I also found a translated ROM of Panel de Pon recently and finally got to experience "Tetris Attack" in its original form.
I must be incredibly rusty after all these years... Or the Japanese version is just harder.

I still won't get my hopes up, but I'm convinced that discounting a character because of an item isn't very solid now. Hell, I'm still fighting for Rayman and he's actually been shown. A third party trophy is still really fishy...

We'll know the roster soon enough, but I'll be back on the Lip train until the end. Come on Sakurai.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Lip would be a representative of all of Nintendo's puzzle games, since most of them lack a mascot that can actually be represented in Smash.

The second pic shows what the side special in the first pic does, and was not invented by me, but rather a trip user named Gifgrill at 4chan's Super Smash Brothers General. I made the first pic with some slight help from anonymous users at the Super Smash Brother general, as I did not know about one or two of the games represented on my own.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think Lip has enough personal material to make an original moveset for herself, but I wouldn't really mind it if she had a moveset based on general Puzzle games of Nintendo's past. Wario's Woods and Mario & Wario need some love, anyway.

Hong

The Strongest
And then she can be the "Queen of Puzzles", and star in a game where there are like 5 other puzzle games on it, and in the story mode she has to defeat them at their own game, literally.:4dedede:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sure, why not? I always liked Nester from the Nintendo Power magazines in the early 1990s. I also feel that Nester/Lark is in the same position as Lip since there's a Rocket Belt item that could have been Nester's Up+B move. At least Pilotwings got a stage... we don't have a Panel de Pon stage.
Thanks, Arcadenik! If you don't mind, can you help me spread the word on Pilot Wings support? Also, I added you to the support list of Pilot Wings!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Puyo Puyo/Kirby's Avalanche isn't/wasn't actually a Nintendo puzzle game, per se. It was developed by Compile, and is currently developed by Sega who took up the license after Compile folded.

That sort of moveset would work well for her as a general puzzle rep, hough I'm agreeing with Kapus on this one. There's plenty of moveset material from her home series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd dig little throwbacks to other puzzle games from Nintendo within her moveset. But I prefer to see her use her own personal moves.

So it's Sunday now folks, what do you suppose happens tomorrow? Will we see Lip next in line as the AT from Japan-only games?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd dig little throwbacks to other puzzle games from Nintendo within her moveset. But I prefer to see her use her own personal moves.

So it's Sunday now folks, what do you suppose happens tomorrow? Will we see Lip next in line as the AT from Japan-only games?
You know, you wouldn't believe it, but I would actually welcome her as an AT, if not playable character. At least we get some kind decent exposure of her here in the States.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know, you wouldn't believe it, but I would actually welcome her as an AT, if not playable character. At least we get some kind decent exposure of her here in the States.
Me too really - I think I'm most concerned if she'll appear at all. I'd be saddened if she was left out again after so exposure to JPN-only characters such as Takamaru or Sable as Assists themselves.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It may just be a coincidence, this string of "Retro Mondays" we've been having, but regardless, I hope we don't get slapped with a deconfirmation tomorrow.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It may just be a coincidence, this string of "Retro Mondays" we've been having, but regardless, I hope we don't get slapped with a deconfirmation tomorrow.
Sakurai should deconfirm Muddy Mole or Duck Hunt Dog instead. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Let us not wish ill of other supporters. We are above the detractors that are hostile towards our Fairy Princess.
Yeah, I know. If Lip gets confirmed as an AT I'll be a-OK with it, because I don't think we're getting any retro reps and Lip getting AT status seems unlikely at this point, so I'll be happy for her in whatever role she gets.

Hong

The Strongest
Somebody has to die. Whether it's Lip or not, I rather know before release because I'm boring like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really would like them to keep announcing AT's every Monday. If not Monday then at least once a week.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
There's been two, I don't call that a string.

You guys and your patterns in everything, you can't predict what Sakurai does at all, he'll slap you in the face with his directly to u blast

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I wonder if theyre going to show an AT tomorrow and if they are who. I think it'll continue with the retros and build a pattern but he's really unpredictable so idk.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't believe in patterns, and I neither suspect nor refute the idea of getting one tomorrow. That said, I do welcome at least another Assist Trophy for the week. As many character deaths as possible, honestly. Not like I derive pleasure from sorrows of others, so much as it's the less painful route in the end.

As long as it's not like this:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I bet the retro newcomer will be someone we didn't see coming yet so obvious at the same time. :troll:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd emphatically love for Lip to be playable, but I wouldn't cry if she was an Assist Trophy instead - because then we could try to "pull a Little Mac" and get her in the fifth game. ^^

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd emphatically love for Lip to be playable, but I wouldn't cry if she was an Assist Trophy instead - because then we could try to "pull a Little Mac" and get her in the fifth game. ^^
I still think Isaac is also going to "pull a Little Mac" as well. Takamaru is likely a top candidate for that in the next game, although I doubt anyone else except Isaac will in this one.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Nintendo doing digital releases for several older games could potentially bring Panel de pon and other games that never got international releases. Let's hope they take advantage of the situation. All they need is to translate the games right?

Top Bottom