• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Luminario

Smash Lord
The fact that Duck Hunt was bundled with every NES and that EVERYBODY remembers the dog laughing in their faces, yeah, I'd say the dog has a wider audience. And he's a dog, people love dogs, everybody loves dogs.
I'm a cat person (just like Sakurai is). Just because the game was bundled with the NES doesn't mean everyone is going to want the dog in Smash. You're not thinking big enough Sinbad I'm talking about the broad appeal of having a cute fairy girl in Smash. EVERYONE loves cute fairy girls.
Let's face it this discussion is not going to get anywhere due to the fact we're arguing over preferences. I think Lip has a good chance and you think DHD has a good chance and it's never going to end.
The only thing left to say is Sakurai has shown interest in adding Lip and He's also adding in more female characters this time around. I'd say she's also much more likable (you ever seen Wreck it Ralph? think Vanellope likable).

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If I remember well Ice climbers were choosed too by popularity in one japanese poll, baloon fighter almost made to the top too.
There was only one character that was ever chosen due to popularity/polls, and that was Sonic. Ice Climber was chosen out of a handful of other launch era Famicom games, Excitebike, Mach Rider, Urban Champion, and Balloon Fight among them... It's not about popularity.

Every other character is based on Sakurai's own judgment. If it wasn't we'd have Tom Nook instead of villager, Daisy instead of Rosalina, and nobody instead of Wii Fit Trainer. From where I'm standing, I'm not seeing characters getting chosen based on popularity or polls online, I'm seeing characters getting chosen due to their importance to Nintendo/gaming, and the franchises they represent.

D

Deleted member

How the hell did this turn into a Lip vs Duck Hunt dog debate? What would you guys think if people came into the DHD thread (if there is even one, I dunno) and started proclaiming "Yeah, it's a pretty nice character, but it's not nearly as good a character X"?

Anyway, let's see:
Complaining about the game being represented because it's a hunting game is pretty stupid, I think. It's cartoonish enough. Seriously, a laughing dog that holds the ducks in his paws? Also the ducks look more annoyed than anything. And as the above video showed, the game isn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Going by that, Pokemon promotes dogfighting. Also Fire Emblem characters flat out die in their game, Kirby and Yoshi eat their enemies alive and Mario kills turtles by stomping on them or setting them on fire. No one bats an eye about this, besides PETA, who are a joke anyway, because it's cartoonish enough (besides Fire Emblem).

All that doesn't mean I want the dog in the game, he would probably one of the dumbest choicest for a retro rep there is. Maybe it's because I never cared much for the game or the dog, but I wouldn't be thrilled about his inclusion. Also I wouldn't call him significant in any means.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm a cat person (just like Sakurai is). Just because the game was bundled with the NES doesn't mean everyone is going to want the dog in Smash. You're not thinking big enough Sinbad I'm talking about the broad appeal of having a cute fairy girl in Smash. EVERYONE loves cute fairy girls.
Let's face it this discussion is not going to get anywhere due to the fact we're arguing over preferences. I think Lip has a good chance and you think DHD has a good chance and it's never going to end.
The only thing left to say is Sakurai has shown interest in adding Lip and He's also adding in more female characters this time around. I'd say she's also much more likable (you ever seen Wreck it Ralph? think Vanellope likable).
Want? Who said anything about wanting, I'm just saying awareness. People don't know who they want until they're given them. And besides, when you account for awareness it's all about how much of an impact a particular game or franchise has made, example, Wii Fit was a monumental success, we get Wii Fit Trainer.

Panel De Pon ain't small, the girl still has a chance. But when compared to Duck Hunt? Come on, that game made a much bigger impression on the public at large. And I disagree, not everybody loves little girl characters, that's geared to a much more specific audience than dogs. I mean, yeah, sure cat people. But there's still a heck of a lot of dog people.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, I think we'd get Muddy Mole or Mach Rider before her, especially now that she's sticking to item cameos again...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If it comes down to Lip and Mach Rider, I'd give it to Lip. Mach Rider is more of a nobody than the excite biker, and the only way I could imagine anybody ever really wanting him is because he looks gritty and cool... Which, bleh, is just dumb.

Lip has character, she has personality, she represents a series of block puzzle games (don't really have a character for that yet in Smash), she has a lot going for her.

Muddy Mole is cool though, but he's even more obscure, unfortunately. Great character design and moveset potential, if only he had more than a single game on the Game Boy.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
How the hell did this turn into a Lip vs Duck Hunt dog debate? What would you guys think if people came into the DHD thread (if there is even one, I dunno) and started proclaiming "Yeah, it's a pretty nice character, but it's not nearly as good a character X"?

Anyway, let's see:
Complaining about the game being represented because it's a hunting game is pretty stupid, I think. It's cartoonish enough. Seriously, a laughing dog that holds the ducks in his paws? Also the ducks look more annoyed than anything. And as the above video showed, the game isn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Going by that, Pokemon promotes dogfighting. Also Fire Emblem characters flat out die in their game, Kirby and Yoshi eat their enemies alive and Mario kills turtles by stomping on them or setting them on fire. No one bats an eye about this, besides PETA, who are a joke anyway, because it's cartoonish enough (besides Fire Emblem).

All that doesn't mean I want the dog in the game, he would probably one of the dumbest choicest for a retro rep there is. Maybe it's because I never cared much for the game or the dog, but I wouldn't be thrilled about his inclusion. Also I wouldn't call him significant in any means.
You're absolutely right I don't even know why i said it it was a stupid reason. I just really don't want the DHD. I'll take ANYONE ELSE. Christ I'll take Ridley over him. Something about him just irritates me.

If it comes down to Lip and Mach Rider, I'd give it to Lip. Mach Rider is more of a nobody than the excite biker, and the only way I could imagine anybody ever really wanting him is because he looks gritty and cool... Which, bleh, is just dumb.

Lip has character, she has personality, she represents a series of block puzzle games (don't really have a character for that yet in Smash), she has a lot going for her.

Muddy Mole is cool though, but he's even more obscure, unfortunately. Great character design and moveset potential, if only he had more than a single game on the Game Boy.
FINALLY something we can agree on.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
You're absolutely right I don't even know why i said it it was a stupid reason. I just really don't want the DHD. I'll take ANYONE ELSE. Christ I'll take Ridley over him. Something about him just irritates me.
Well, he should irritate you, he's the Duck Hunt dog, he's irritated gamers for generations. He's infamous, that's part of the reason why we want him included, we want to kick him in the face.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, he should irritate you, he's the Duck Hunt dog, he's irritated gamers for generations. He's infamous, that's part of the reason why we want him included, we want to kick him in the face.
Just make him an Assist Trophy and we can beat him up that way. :p

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Just make him an Assist Trophy and we can beat him up that way. :p
Hey now, I said "part of the reason", there's certainly more reasons to want him playable, his iconic status and ability to represent an important part of Nintendo history is another. He can do better than assist. Duck Hunt is bigger than Panel De Pon, bigger than Murasame Castle, bigger than For the Frog the Bell Tolls, bigger than Clu Clu Land, bigger than Mole Mania, bigger than Ice Climber even... Not sure if bigger than Excitebike or Balloon Fight though, but it's arguable.

D

Deleted member

Can't put the finger on the reason though, I guess? It's the same with me. As I said, I never played... never even cared about Duck Hunt and yet I really don't want the dog in the game. Which is the complete opposite of my stance to Little Mac. Like Duck Hunt, I never played nor cared about Punch-Out, but I really wanted Mac regardless and was pretty happy when he was announced, his awesome moveset is just the icing on the cake. There are so many characters I'd prefer over the dog, I'd even take Dr. Mario over him.

You seem to be the worst offender, so I'll ask again:
What do you hope to accomplish? You come here and defend the crap outta the dog, despite most people clearly either not caring or downright not wanting him in the game? What do you hope to gain from all this? What would you think if I came into the DHD thread and would do what you're doing here?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Awareness.

And it's not like I'm not keeping Lip in the conversation, I definitely am. I'm comparing her and her franchise to other retro characters and franchises, and how her's lines up with them.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Hey now, I said "part of the reason", there's certainly more reasons to want him playable, his iconic status and ability to represent an important part of Nintendo history is another. He can do better than assist. Duck Hunt is bigger than Panel De Pon, bigger than Murasame Castle, bigger than For the Frog the Bell Tolls, bigger than Clu Clu Land, bigger than Mole Mania, bigger than Ice Climber even... Not sure if bigger than Excitebike or Balloon Fight though, but it's arguable.
Okay okay Jesus I wish he was already in so you'd stop talking about him (I still think Lip encapuslates more, is more likeable, and has more of a chance).

D

Deleted member

Awareness.

And it's not like I'm not keeping Lip in the conversation, I definitely am. I'm comparing her and her franchise to other retro characters and franchises, and how her's lines up with them.
And yet you don't realize how obnoxious you are? You still haven't answered what you would think if we came into the DHD thread and would do exactly the same as what you're doing here? Shoving down our character choice down your throats. You're like one of those telemarketers who won't take a no and pester people for so long until they say yes. You think that's the best way to raise awareness for a character? You're just being obnoxious and annoying right now, to put it bluntly.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And yet you don't realize how obnoxious you are? You still haven't answered what you would think if we came into the DHD thread and would do exactly the same as what you're doing here? Shoving down our character choice down your throats. You're like one of those telemarketers who won't take a no and pester people for so long until they say yes. You think that's the best way to raise awareness for a character? You're just being obnoxious and annoying right now, to put it bluntly.
Keep in mind, we can't boot people for disagreeing with us about a character. Other than that, I completely agree with you. :D

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, do it. I'll defend what I can.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Honey just... go home. We have covered both pros and cons of both chraracters but seeing how this is the LIP SUPPORT THREAD you're not gonna get far and you're not gonna change anyones mind. Now go home, get out, do not pass go, do not collect 200. We have our wanted characters and you have yours now if you have nothing to contribute besides "DUCK HUNT DOG FOR SMASH 4! EVERYONE ELSE SUCKS!" i suggest you take it somewhere else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thing I don't get is when people use the Screw Attack or Fire Flower to say she's still in the running. But meanwhile, Samus and Mario were playable before they were items. With Lip, her iconic weapon is still an item, and Kirby still has the Garbage Block. That'd be like if the Falchion or Master Sword was shown before Marth or Link were playable.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm trying to be objective here. It's not that I want you to like Duck Hunt Dog more and want you to like Lip less, I'm saying according to what they represent to Nintendo, Duck Hunt is more important than Panel De Pon. Heck, I don't even have to like the dog to see that he's a more significant part of Nintendo's history.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Keep in mind, we can't boot people for disagreeing with us about a character. Other than that, I completely agree with you. :D
Never said anything about booting him. It's just, people should have enough common sense and/or tact to know when to quit.

So you come here, bring up a character we don't care about, even told so and you still continue fully realizing how annoying you are? How often do we have to tell you to drop it? If you wanna talk about the DHD, do it somewhere else, not here. You're just being annoying to everyone here. And funny thing is, you still didn't answer my question, even after asking two or three times.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I did answer, I said do it. Please, it's what makes the conversation exciting, pitting two characters against each other, two characters that may in fact be fighting for the same spot. We should be having these conversations and not just blindly giving support, we need to prove these characters are deserving. So instead of shoo-shooing me away, embrace me and prove that Lip is a character that's worthy.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm the biggest Duck Hunt Dog supporter around here... and you don't see me coming here to bash Lip. I don't mind if Lip gets in. She looks pretty interesting and I liked Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League. I just don't like that people are turning this into a Lip vs. Duck Hunt Dog thread... and I definitely don't agree with the arguments used against Duck Hunt Dog... I suspect these arguments are merely pretext to make reasons why Duck Hunt Dog shouldn't be in Smash appear legitimate when deep down, it's because people don't want Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. If people want to debate about Duck Hunt Dog, take it to the Duck Hunt Dog thread. Let's not turn this into a Lip vs. Duck Hunt Dog debate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, please simmer down people.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's Lip vs. every retro character, and DHD vs. every retro characters, it's whoever is left in this category after Takamaru and Prince Sable have been deconfirmed. I'm keeping the conversation about Lip, I just bring up the dog because he is a fierce competition for her.

Luminario

Smash Lord
The thing I don't get is when people use the Screw Attack or Fire Flower to say she's still in the running. But meanwhile, Samus and Mario were playable before they were items. With Lip, her iconic weapon is still an item, and Kirby still has the Garbage Block. That'd be like if the Falchion or Master Sword was shown before Marth or Link were playable.
It is a rather useless comparison but nothing is stated that Lip with her stick and the Lip's stick can't exist at the same time. It can even be in its bud state so you can tell the two apart. It's completely up to Sakurai whether or not anything changes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It is a rather useless comparison but nothing is stated that Lip with her stick and the Lip's stick can't exist at the same time. It can even be in its bud state so you can tell the two apart. It's completely up to Sakurai whether or not anything changes.
I'm just saying, if he planned for her to be playable, why leave her iconic weapon as an item? It doesn't make too much sense to me. Ah well.

Hong

The Strongest
Such inane arguments.

A shame the most likely outcome is for neither Lip or DHD to show up. You would be advised to spend your final days appreciating the characters instead of comparing them.
I'm just saying, if he planned for her to be playable, why leave her iconic weapon as an item? It doesn't make too much sense to me. Ah well.
The Lip's Stick is iconic because of Lip, but is not an iconic weapon.

There lies the difference.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh, we've got plenty time to appreciate, but with the clock ticking towards release date, we've only got so much time to battle these characters out with endless comparisons in guessing who could make it. And if nobody makes it in... well, we all lose.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Such inane arguments.

A shame the most likely outcome is for neither Lip or DHD to show up. You would be advised to spend your final days appreciating the characters instead of comparing them.
The Lip's Stick is iconic because of Lip, but is not an iconic weapon.

There lies the difference.
This is honestly the most likely result, sad to say.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh, we've got plenty time to appreciate, but with the clock ticking tpwards release date, we've only got so much time to battle these characters out with endless comparisons in guessing who could make it. And if nobody makes it in... well, we all lose.
Can't wait for the time when both aren't confirmed then, most likely.

"Battling" through comparisons is an instant argument-bait which can easily clutter support topics - and ironically, won't mean anything in the long run: after all, Smash-fans have proven over and over again that they (including *notbigsuprise* we) can't predict Sakurai, so what we say are most likely not applying to his mindset or interests, aside from some exceptions like Robin vs Chrom.

In anycase, I wish both Lip and DHD biggest luck instead of competition between two. In anycase, if you wish to bring them up , I suggest doing it on Character Discussion Thread instead here.

But yeah, I hope we get some retro newcomer at least, as much as I can't put too much money on it being either Lip or DHD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guess I got a little carried away after my initial post. Dangers of being hotblooded, haha. Best thing would be to simply ignore that, I guess.

I guess because Lip's Stick has been in two games already and it would be strange for it to suddenly be removed? But then again, so was the Red Shell, before getting the boot in Brawl. On the other hand, Lip's Stick is the only PdP item in Smash, unlike the Red Shell and I don't think there's anything else in PdP that could be suited as a "replacement item", so to say. Alternatively, Sakurai works in mysterious ways.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
So on the matter of retro characters, the idea that there will certainly be one comes from (besides the expectation created by it happening in Melee and Brawl) the quotation: "I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros." (http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...surrecting-old-characters-in-smash-bros-more/)

Looking at the context of the article, which is him talking about the "revival" of Kid Icarus, people have taken it that he meant bringing them back in the same way as Pit was in Brawl. While that does seem heavily implied, it doesn't necessarily mean as such. It could just mean bringing them back through any sort of appearance, including assist trophies which we have seen the last couple of Mondays with Takamaru and Sable Prince.

Still, it seems weird to me that absolutely no new playable character seen so far is in the same category as Ice Climbers and Pit. Both of these characters were shown in the very first trailer of Melee and Brawl respectively. I'm starting to doubt that there will be a "retro" character in the same way that those characters are retro.

I can accept Duck Hunt Dog more as a "surprise/odd" character in the same vein as Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. But as the retro character, he doesn't make the grade for me. For one thing, Duck Hunt was a novelty game which will almost certainly never see a re-release due to it being a light gun game. And let's be honest with ourselves. Would anyone buy a sequel? It's not any more likely to get a revival than Gyromite.

As for Lip, there's the question of if she truly counts as "retro". I'd say the character herself could be called that, but she'd be a representative of a franchise which has had more recent installments than the likes of F-Zero and Mother. Hopefully her (special) moves would be a reflection of the general gameplay of Panel De Pon/Puzzle League rather than completely made up just to represent her flower/fairy characteristics.

But at the end of the day, the categories like "retro" and "surprise" are just fan constructs. While I personally do feel like there are some sorts of patterns that can be followed to make general character predictions, they are far from set in stone.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
When I think of a retro rep in Smash, I think of a character from a discontinued franchise, from an old game that performed poorly sales-wise, from a forgotten game or franchise, etc. So I can't really agree when people suggest that Mega Man, Pac-Man and Little Mac are retro characters, because they are neither forgotten characters and their franchises still get games; Granted, Mega Man is possibly dead, but the franchise still got a few games in the past generation.

So the problem here is the term "retro". There should be a different term for characters like Ice Climbers and Pit. Yes, they are retro characters, but so are Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. "Forgotten characters", maybe? Surely some people still remembered Ice Climbers and Pit before Melee and Brawl, respectively, but not really a lot of people. Heck, I started playing games on a NES, played games like Mega Man, Mario Bros 3 and I had no idea who the hell Ice Climbers and Pit were before seeing them in Smash Bros.

I was meaning to bring a point in a "retro" character-related thread and this seems to be a good opportunity: What if Sakurai decided to revive a character from a not-so-old-school game instead? Every time we speculate about the new Ice Climbers/Pit, we only bring up characters from NES, SNES and Game Boy games. What if Smash 4's Ice Climbers isn't an extremely old character, but a somewhat retro one from a Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance or heck, even a Gamecube game?

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'm trying to be objective here. It's not that I want you to like Duck Hunt Dog more and want you to like Lip less, I'm saying according to what they represent to Nintendo, Duck Hunt is more important than Panel De Pon. Heck, I don't even have to like the dog to see that he's a more significant part of Nintendo's history.
I'm not quite sure on the extend of Duck Hunt's importance to Nintendo as a whole outside of the combined NES game of Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. True, this is a known thing, though in the end the Duck Hunt series is limited to only one game. Duck Hunt Dog is fairly well known, but has overall lacked many cameo appearances of significance outside of Wario Ware microgames.

While it is true that Lip is not nearly as well known worldwide as Duck Hunt Dog, Panel de Pon on the otherhand is the first entry of a whole series; the Puzzle League series, and though the characters of the entries have changed there have been numerous entries for it. The puzzle series is a key genre unrepresented in SSB as it stands, at least by a definite genre representing character, and Puzzle League related stuff has received greater relevance in modern times such as Lip's cameo in Captain Rainbow, new entries of the Puzzle League series, and of course, references to her within SSB.

So for me, even putting my personal bias of Lip being my most wanted character aside, I do see her as more worthy of representation than Duck Hunt Dog. I don't see Duck Hunt Dog as the likeliest of choices for a retro rep as it currently stands. Admittedly I don't see Lip being the most likely at the moment as it is (I personally believe Bubbles to be the most likely retro candidate, and when I think about it, probably the most deserving), though I feel her chances are better than that of Duck Hunt Dog and feel she'd be a more deserving addition.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Oh, we've got plenty time to appreciate, but with the clock ticking towards release date, we've only got so much time to battle these characters out with endless comparisons in guessing who could make it. And if nobody makes it in... well, we all lose.
What's the point? Like really, what are you gaining from this? That sounds like making war for no reason other than entertainment.

The supporters in this topic want Lip to be a playable character. They don't care about Duck Hunt Dog, even if he hypothetically does have a better chance to get in than Lip does. We want Lip to be in the game. We support Lip. Duck Hunt Dog has literally no relevance to that, and is not even considered to be a direct competitor for Lip's spot like Takamaru is. You can come in here and talk about how Duck Hunt Dog (in your opinion) has a better chance than Lip does, but in the end, nobody cares. Lots of characters have and had a better chance than Lip does. Little Mac had a better chance. Rosalina had a better chance. King K. Rool has a better chance. So what? We want Lip and we'll keep supporting Lip regardless.

If you want to promote a character that you want in the game, that's fine. That's what signature banners are for. However, coming into a support topic for another character to rave on like this is pretty rude, especially when people tell you to take it somewhere else. I mean, I really hate to be judgmental, but it seems you have little self awareness.

If you want to discuss a character's likelihood in regards to others, that's also fine. There are many places for you to do that. Go to the Official Character Discussion. Go to Rate Their Chances. Or, well, go to that character's actual support topic. The only thing you're doing here is creating, as Hong put it, inane arguments. Nothing's being gained out of this, really. It's not like "battling characters" makes them more or less likely to be in the game, anyway. Why not support and encourage other supporters instead of harassing them? I don't want DHD in the game at all, but if you do, then power to you! Good luck! If he gets in, I'll be happy for you and the character's other supporters. Let's make peace instead of war, okay?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
When I think of a retro rep in Smash, I think of a character from a discontinued franchise, from an old game that performed poorly sales-wise, from a forgotten game or franchise, etc. So I can't really agree when people suggest that Mega Man, Pac-Man and Little Mac are retro characters, because they are neither forgotten characters and their franchises still get games; Granted, Mega Man is possibly dead, but the franchise still got a few games in the past generation.

So the problem here is the term "retro". There should be a different term for characters like Ice Climbers and Pit. Yes, they are retro characters, but so are Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. "Forgotten characters", maybe? Surely some people still remembered Ice Climbers and Pit before Melee and Brawl, respectively, but not really a lot of people. Heck, I started playing games on a NES, played games like Mega Man, Mario Bros 3 and I had no idea who the hell Ice Climbers and Pit were before seeing them in Smash Bros.

I was meaning to bring a point in a "retro" character-related thread and this seems to be a good opportunity: What if Sakurai decided to revive a character from a not-so-old-school game instead? Every time we speculate about the new Ice Climbers/Pit, we only bring up characters from NES, SNES and Game Boy games. What if Smash 4's Ice Climbers isn't an extremely old character, but a somewhat retro one from a Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance or heck, even a Gamecube game?
This is a list of all the N64/GBA/GCN games that don't have playable characters in Smash.

Nintendo 64 games
Pilotwings 64 (Pilotwings stage is in SSB Wii U)
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Custom Robo (Ray is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Doshin the Giant 1
Sim City 64 (Dr. Wright is still an Assist Trophy)
Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing No. 1 Final Edition
Excitebike 64 (Excitebikers is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Doshin the Giant: Chibikko-Chikko Kids
Custom Robo V2
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth (Saki is still an Assist Trophy)

Game Boy Advance games
Kurukuru Kururin (Helirin is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Napoleon
Golden Sun (Isaac is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Advance Wars (Infantry & Tanks is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Play Anywhere: Yakuman Advance
Magical Vacation
Tomato Adventure
Tilting Puzzle: Happy Panechu!
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Momoko Sakura's Exciting Carnival
Custom Robo GX
Legendary Starfy (Starfy is still an Assist Trophy)
Kururin Paradise
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Legendary Starfy 2
Oriental Blue
Legendary Starfy 3
Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2
Play-Yan
Millennium Family
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (only listed this because of Puzzle League)
Drill Dozer (Jill is an Assist Trophy in Brawl)
Polarium Advance
Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays
Calciobit
bit Generations games
Rhythm Heaven (Gematsu leak says Chorus Men are in)

Gamecube games
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
Doshin the Giant
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (only listed it because of Panel de Pon)
Giftpia
1080 Avalanche
Custom Robo
Kururin Squash!
Chibi-Robo!
Geist
Battalion Wars
Legendary Quiz Tournament of Champions
Odama

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Kind of odd to think a support thread for a happy little fairy could turn into bitter debate so quickly. But it seems to have all blown over now, thankfully.

Honestly, I think we'd get Muddy Mole or Mach Rider before her, especially now that she's sticking to item cameos again...
Just going to say your sig is an apt response to your own post. ^^

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Another week gone with no Lip one way or the other. Which is good, since there hasn't yet been a straight-up deconfirmation, but if the pattern continues, we'll get another assist trophy on Monday.

I'm beginning to dread each new week. ^^;

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Another week gone with no Lip one way or the other. Which is good, since there hasn't yet been a straight-up deconfirmation, but if the pattern continues, we'll get another assist trophy on Monday.

I'm beginning to dread each new week. ^^;
I don't know why, but I have the presentiment that this monday is the turn of someone big... or Ridley (that's pretty much already deconfirmed, but people can't belive it yet), or Bandana Dee, or the chorus kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom