• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Hong

The Strongest
Suddenly, all six of the default characters from the original game are playable.

I call Seren.:starman:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Suddenly, all six of the default characters from the original game are playable.

I call Seren.:starman:
Actually, you know what I just imagined today?

A trailer where Lip's shown as confirmed character, yet all of a sudden pops out her fairy companions who act like her partner, giving certain elements to different attacks. I dunno why.

Hong

The Strongest
I wouldn't mind if we got an "end game" Lip. That is, after she has united all the other fairies, and they lend her their power in battle.

I wouldn't be mad at all. In fact, I'd love it.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
While I don't outright truly want her I like her a lot and wouldn't mind if she was the one picked for the retro rep. After what happened with Takamaru she'd be my next choice to take the spot (but I'll admit I know nothing about her or the games she's from). If it isn't her that's going to be the Japanese retro rep then noone is going to be the rep, from what I see she's the last fairly big retro rep left. If she doesn't make the cut for playable I at least hope she stands as an AT with Takamaru, and the Prince. Best of luck you guys you're going to need it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So the Lip's Stick item belongs to...Lip, eh? Well, she would be better off as an Assist Trophy character just like the other characters I didn't know about existed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I don't outright truly want her I like her a lot and wouldn't mind if she was the one picked for the retro rep. After what happened with Takamaru she'd be my next choice to take the spot (but I'll admit I know nothing about her or the games she's from). If it isn't her that's going to be the Japanese retro rep then noone is going to be the rep, from what I see she's the last fairly big retro rep left. If she doesn't make the cut for playable I at least hope she stands as an AT with Takamaru, and the Prince. Best of luck you guys you're going to need it.
Have you ever played any Puzzle League game or Tetris Attack? Lip is from the Japanese version of Tetris Attack, Panel de Pon. Her descendant Furil was the protagonist of the second Panel de Pon, but that game was made into Pokemon Puzzle League.

A certain someone is still worthy competition.
'Eh, I have no idea. Maybe he'll be the next disconfirmed retro rep. :D

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
A certain someone is still worthy competition.
Is that Mach Rider? He would work for a Japanese related retro rep? Huh well I guess that could happen since he was planned at one point in Melee development but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make him work. Sakurai might've found out how to though this time.
EDIT: Sorry meant Excitebike dude not Mach Rider when I said Mach was planned for Melee.
@JaidynReiman No I have not like I've said I know absolutely nothing about ANY of her games so yeah. I didn't even know Lip or Sable or any of these characters until I started snooping around Smashboards and speculating.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
As far as games I'd like to see come back in the modern era, Mach Rider is nowhere near Panel de Pon, but still welcome none-the-less.

Personally I just want to see more characters that were not created in the past decade in general.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is that Mach Rider? He would work for a Japanese related retro rep? Huh well I guess that could happen since he was planned at one point in Melee development but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make him work. Sakurai might've found out how to though this time.
As far as I'm aware, Sakurai was talking about Excitebike, not Mach Rider.

As far as games I'd like to see come back in the modern era, Mach Rider is nowhere near Panel de Pon, but still welcome none-the-less.

Personally I just want to see more characters that were not created in the past decade in general.
Agreed. King K. Rool, anyone? :D

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
You know, I was thinking, since Lip is one of the most referenced obscure retro characters in all of the SSB series, and her item is already in the game as we speak, shouldn't Lip have been the first one disconfirmed by Sakurai? Even before Takamaru? In fact, I don't know why he didn't disconfirm Takamaru on the release day of his game in the US. That would have made more sense than just randomly doing it out of nowhere. Anyway, I remember also hearing that Lip is a character that Sakurai likes a lot (correct me if I heard wrong). When you put all of this into account, it's amazing Lip survived this long. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but if Sakurai likes the character, she has potential to be very unique, and she brings something new to the roster in visual style, I don't see why he wouldn't add her as playable. But I expect grim news on the upcoming Monday... I'm trying to prepare myself for another loss.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
There are still quite a few worthy retro candidates left, and they don't necessarily have to be Japan only. Mach Rider is an example that was already given, and there is also Mike Jones, Hikari & Donbe, Sukapon, and many more.

Although I'd prefer Lip (my most wanted) or Hikari & Donbe (my 6th most wanted), I have a feeling that Bubbles from the Clu Clu Land series is quite a strong contender for a playable retro position as well (my 13th most wanted), and in being a retro rep whose not only had worldwide releases and cameos, but also more than one game (though the 2nd game was Japan only) I do feel that if Lip isn't the most likely retro rep at the moment, that Bubbles would be.

Still, Lip isn't out yet for a playable spot so I'm going to continue calling for her inclusion most of all. Go, Lip, go!

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, what's taking Sakurai so long? Stop paying us Lip service and show her already. :4dedede:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Really, I still don't get how exactly having Lip wielding her Stick would be improbable since it's already an item.

I mean, yeah, it'd be weird, but then again, there are multiple Master Swords, Falchions and Star Rods, as mentioned earlier...

And I mean, wouldn't it be awesome to wield dual Lip Sticks?

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Really, I still don't get how exactly having Lip wielding her Stick would be improbable since it's already an item.

I mean, yeah, it'd be weird, but then again, there are multiple Master Swords, Falchions and Star Rods, as mentioned earlier...

If the ScrewAttack item and Samus can coexist, why can't Lip and the Stick? ;)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe Sakurai thinks Lip's too obscure to talk about, so he doesn't care about mentioning her. She's perhaps a ghost, an invisible nobody to everyone in this world...

Boy, that sounds dark.

Blucas

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Sakurai thinks Lip's too obscure to talk about, so he doesn't care about mentioning her. She's perhaps a ghost, an invisible nobody to everyone in this world...

Boy, that sounds dark.
Prince of sable is more obscure than lip

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Boy, that sounds dark.
Didn't he say that he'd wish that people knew more about her and gave her a chance after claiming that Panel de Pon was a masterpiece or something like that?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

I thought the "evidence" supporting Lip's disconfirmation was the garbage block thingy still being part of Kirby's down B?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought the "evidence" supporting Lip's disconfirmation was the garbage block thingy still being part of Kirby's down B?
Its both Garbage Block and Lip's Stick, neither of which are valid evidence against Lip. Sadly I don't think Lip is playable at this point, but I'd love it if she was.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, I just hypothise his stand on Lip through what is currently in the game so far. I guess because if Lip's Stick and other little cameos seem enough for him to represent Lip, then well, he might not bother taking her to a next level in means of representation.

@ Reila Reila That too. I won't hold my breath on seeing Lip as a playable at least due that, unfortunately. I can hope she pops up as an Assist still.

Hong

The Strongest
Thiana's clearly the best. Did you see that braid? That outfit? Those leafy powers? Gorgeous.
For what it's worth, she's my second favourite. I'm a sucker for nature types, and her music is so relaxing. As far as personality goes, she seems more simple compared to the other fairies, in a good way.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Villager has the boxing gloves, i remember when everyone thought Little Mac was deconfirmed because of it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Villager has the boxing gloves, i remember when everyone thought Little Mac was deconfirmed because of it.
Wow, nice catch. I'd almost forgotten about that. I remember people thinking Miis would be redundant because Villager used things that were in Wii Sports (the boxing gloves, bowling balls, etc.), too.

Even though Lip may not have the best of chances right now, and the obscure Japanese-retro slaughter comes off as more of a mixed blessing than anything, it's good for us to keep a positive attitude like this. Anything really is possible at this point.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Thiana's clearly the best. Did you see that braid? That outfit? Those leafy powers? Gorgeous.
Thiana's hair has nothing on Elias'. She's still cool, though.

But yeah, the recent events have made me a lot more confident in Panel De Pon representation, and I'm super eager to see what happens in the next few weeks. Sakurai seems to be going for more recognizable characters in this roster, but he still seems to have a soft spot for bringing old, obscure characters into the modern era as these recent updates show. I hope that soft spot pushes a retro (at least one!) on to this roster! I mean, Smash Bros is about celebrating Nintendo's history, right? Surely he could add at least one old character on to the scene.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Thiana's hair has nothing on Elias'. She's still cool, though.

But yeah, the recent events have made me a lot more confident in Panel De Pon representation, and I'm super eager to see what happens in the next few weeks. Sakurai seems to be going for more recognizable characters in this roster, but he still seems to have a soft spot for bringing old, obscure characters into the modern era as these recent updates show. I hope that soft spot pushes a retro (at least one!) on to this roster! I mean, Smash Bros is about celebrating Nintendo's history, right? Surely he could add at least one old character on to the scene.
Likewise. I'm hoping for Lip most of all, but is she doesn't become playable, there are plenty of other retro characters I wouldn't mind seeing such as Hikari & Donbe, Bubbles, Mach Rider, and so on. I do love the addition of retro reps and I'm confident we will be getting at least one; I'm just hoping for that minimum of 1 retro rep to be Lip.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack introduced me to puzzle games like Smash Bros. introduced me to fighting games. Back then I was a kid so the japanese version made me say "ew a girly game, I prefer Yoshi", now I really appreciate Lip.
It makes me think how the younger audience would react to Lip if she was announced as a character for SSB4. Cooties and all that stuff I guess.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack introduced me to puzzle games like Smash Bros. introduced me to fighting games. Back then I was a kid so the japanese version made me say "ew a girly game, I prefer Yoshi", now I really appreciate Lip.
It makes me think how the younger audience would react to Lip if she was announced as a character for SSB4. Cooties and all that stuff I guess.
Seeing how most kid these days seem to prefer gritty FPS, I'd say that's most likely. Then again, why would they bother playing a Nintendo game? :awesome:

Though, considering how one of the most popular shows nowadays among all audiences, and whose its fanbase is among the most (if not THE most) prominent on the internet, is about ponies, I'd at least assume not many people would mind her inclusion.

Again, I'm just assuming...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
You know who isn't an obscure Japanese-only character but is still retro? The Duck Hunt dog!!...

I kid, I kid. Lip is still a very nice candidate. If it wasn't for the Lip's Stick item I'd think she'd have better luck. But if I had my way, I'd make her an assist trophy, revealed next Monday of course.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
So uh, I don't know if it holds any relevance at all, but Puzzle League Express is one of the reward titles this month on Club Nintendo. Isn't that the game with no soul to it?
I'm thinking of getting it to send in a survey asking how much better it could be if it had Lippity Lip... Maybe if enough people said the same thing in said club nintendo survey's it could at least help get the word out...

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
You know who isn't an obscure Japanese-only character but is still retro? The Duck Hunt dog!!...

I kid, I kid. Lip is still a very nice candidate. If it wasn't for the Lip's Stick item I'd think she'd have better luck. But if I had my way, I'd make her an assist trophy, revealed next Monday of course.
In the case of getting a non-Japan retro rep, I'd personally go with Bubbles. She's been considered for SSB previously, potential for game related attacks and unique playstyle, has more than one game (though the 2nd was admittedly Japan only), has had her original game released via virtual console several times, been featured in NES Remix and several Wario Ware entries, and was playable in Donkey Kong: King of Swing (a game I've heard was originally planned as a new Clu Clu Land game). She is also to my knowledge Nintendo's first female lead protagonist.

There's also Japan only retro characters that I wouldn't mind seeing in the case that Lip isn't playable, them being Hikari & Donbe from Shin Onigashima. So even in the event that Lip, who is my most wanted character for SSB of all, get's revealed as an Assist Trophy, which would at least be the 2nd best thing, there are still quite a few retro candidates I'd be pleased with the inclusion of.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Seeing how most kid these days seem to prefer gritty FPS, I'd say that's most likely. Then again, why would they bother playing a Nintendo game? :awesome:
Though, considering how one of the most popular shows nowadays among all audiences, and whose its fanbase is among the most (if not THE most) prominent on the internet, is about ponies, I'd at least assume not many people would mind her inclusion.
Again, I'm just assuming...
I don't think they'd have much trouble leaving it as is nowadays. "Girl" shows have been around since forever, but I think the MLP reboot really proved to most people that they didn't have to be bland, stereotypical trash.

So uh, I don't know if it holds any relevance at all, but Puzzle League Express is one of the reward titles this month on Club Nintendo. Isn't that the game with no soul to it?
I'm thinking of getting it to send in a survey asking how much better it could be if it had Lippity Lip... Maybe if enough people said the same thing in said club nintendo survey's it could at least help get the word out...
Its Japanese and European title, "A Little Bit of Panel de Pon/Puzzle League", attest to it being a somewhat stripped-down version of Planet Puzzle League, which is indeed the one with no characters or personality. It's still fun, but not very charming.

EarthBound's Miiverse campaign may have been the reason it got rereleased outside of Japan - don't quote me on this, though, it's possible it was due to a fan traveling to Japan and speaking about it to Shigesato Itoi as well - so it may have some effect (even if the effect is that canned "We have no plans to localize [GAME NAME HERE] at this time" response).

Regardless, it's kind of nice to know Nintendo's still keeping Puzzle League in their thoughts, even if it's the beige Planet version (and even if it seems more like an excuse to not make any more...).

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice

...If I'm going to be honest, I hate the idea of Duck Hunt Dog being playable in SSB4. I hate it with a passion. I know the dog has fans, but it's seriously the most boring retro character I can think of. He's also the only retro character I do not want to see in this game (I'd take any other one over him), but because I loathe the idea so much, I bet he's going to be playable. I have the worst luck. I apologize for sounding rude, I'm just a little tired of seeing the Duck Hunt Dog everywhere as of late. I can only hope that if the dog makes it in, Lip will too. That way, I won't be too disappointed... Of course, DHD could be an awesome character and I'm just not looking at the character the right way. Again, sorry, don't want to be a jerk or anything.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It seems to me that most people who support Duck Hunt Dog are only doing that so they won't be disappointed if Ninka Kiwi's leak is true. I'm not saying people aren't supporting it for other reasons, that's just how it seems to me.

If Duck Hunt is getting any rep at all though, it's as an Assist Trophy. Remember, when they were developing Melee and were still planning to use assist trophies, Duck Hunt was one of the first ideas thrown around, and Team Sakurai is known for reusing ideas that didn't get implemented the first time around in later games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom