• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Looks like that's the final nail in the coffin... :(
Oh well, hopefully we'll see Panel de Pon get a western VC release like Murasame Castle did or ideally a new entry in the series sometime down the road. Though it looks like IS is pushing the Pushmo franchise as their current flagship puzzle title. As for Smash, I'd love to see Lip as an assist at this point (I'd REALLY love an amiibo figure), but it's likely she'll only have a regular trophy.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So I saw Kirby turn into the garbage block in the invitational...
that ain't good D:
Welp.

...time to get Operation Save Lip off the ground. Because no one else will.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's a shame... Obviously Sakurai, despite admitting to being a fan of the series doesn't care enough about Lip to make her a playable character. And if we're getting three games in a row where it was decided players, especially Western ones, didn't need to know what she looked like (or wanted to play as a cheese pizza more than her), there's no reason to think the fifth game will be any different at all. At this point, I think it's safe to say that mod Kapus posted a while ago is the only way we'll ever get to play as Lip in Smash Bros.

How's that coming along, by the way?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's a shame... Obviously Sakurai, despite admitting to being a fan of the series doesn't care enough about Lip to make her a playable character. And if we're getting three games in a row where it was decided players, especially Western ones, didn't need to know what she looked like (or wanted to play as a cheese pizza more than her), there's no reason to think the fifth game will be any different at all. At this point, I think it's safe to say that mod Kapus posted a while ago is the only way we'll ever get to play as Lip in Smash Bros.

How's that coming along, by the way?
TBH I think the way PDP's there is basically it being enough. The game gets not only music, but throwbacks ala an item that's been three times now in the series, and arguably the only Japan-only of that (Funnier is that FE has no items so far shown in Smash). And Sakurai still slams garbage block on his own creation as one of Stone's forms.

So I think it's best to move on, but like with other series in Smash, PDP has it's place, definitive and special when compared to others.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't know... I can't shake the feeling that Lip and co. deserve a lot better than they're getting. But it doesn't look good either way.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I'm still gonna keep hoping she makes it in, as unlikely as it may seem.
At this point, though, I'll be super happy if she at least makes it in as a trophy. Just something, anything to get her some more recognition aside from her weapon of choice...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Spinoffs generally help a lot with popularity woes. I dare say Mario wouldn't be as popular as he was today if it weren't for RPG, Kart, Party, Tennis, Golf, Paper and so forth keeping him fresh and current, especially with the rut the New series is in.

The problem here would be Nintendo's continued and infuriating refusal to consider any for the Panel de Pon series. It has everything the Mario series does besides popularity - colorful, charming characters, an upbeat, lighthearted setting, solid gameplay. If one series can be spun off into every genre under the sun, there's no reason the other can't. I guess they're afraid the male majority won't want to play a "girl's game", but they could work around that by not playing up the cutesiness of the setting. (Paper Mario sure doesn't.)

Last edited:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Sorry and hello again! :)

Yeah the Panel de Pon cast had such a nice chance for a cameo in Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) the cast of PdP are fairies and so are the to rescue fairies of SM3DW! It hit my mind since I reached the flagpole after the 1st Bowserfight and saw that Mario shows his victory dance with that fairy! Just the imagination that Lip & Cp could be there instead of those fairies, which will be tossed aside after SM3DW (Sorry to be rude again).

I mean is it so hard for Nintendo to care for characters which were already created, before creating new ones? I respect the reason that the (new) developer need to experiment why not with already existing characters it "could" be a win-win-profit-situation. Captain Rainbow's try was laudably but the artwork... and interpretation of Lip's character made me sad at least it's her recent and 3D-only appearance!

Trophy hmm? What do guys think? How should it look like? ("Just a Lip's Stick trophy" whould be a troll reply >.<) In my case I whould prefer a literally plain trophy in shape of Lip's VS Background Battle stance with the full artwork which shows her fierce side while being also cute which is just one thing which make her a unique apperance in smash.

So far my thoughts. I hope everyone will have a nice time! With best regards

LipFlare

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I'll probably still hope that she is a character. She doesn't have a very high chance but she isn't downright decomfirmed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why is there the gloom? Because no e3 reveal?
I think people expected a bit much from e3; such as, anything that would be in.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I actually expected 7 seven reveals, 3 newcomers and 4 vets, although the vets were all characters we know will be in the game.

Hong

The Strongest
The newcomers should come as surprise to nobody.

Though I will admit that I was expecting to see some characters return.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm gloomy because there was an E3 reveal - of a character I didn't want in Smash Bros. at all, coming right on the heels on what I assume to be Lip's official deconfirmation just to twist the knife. Screw you, Pac-Man.

I mean is it so hard for Nintendo to care for characters which were already created, before creating new ones? I respect the reason that the (new) developer need to experiment why not with already existing characters it "could" be a win-win-profit-situation. Captain Rainbow's try was laudably but the artwork... and interpretation of Lip's character made me sad at least it's her recent and 3D-only appearance!
I don't have a problem with Lip's Captain Rainbow characterization, from what I've heard of it. It fits her well. The art style though, yeah, it looks weird on her. Mostly the giant ears. She's still cute, but I vastly prefer the art style of her home series.

It is kind of frustrating that Nintendo won't revisit any of their old franchises that aren't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, or Pikmin. They just keep spamming us with new IP after new IP in the hopes that something will stick. Meanwhile, fans of... well, basically any "second-tier" series, but Panel de Pon for this example, are basically left for dead. It's hard not to feel unloved sometimes.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm gloomy because there was an E3 reveal - of a character I didn't want in Smash Bros. at all, coming right on the heels on what I assume to be Lip's official deconfirmation just to twist the knife. Screw you, Pac-Man.
Along with many other forum posters who were creative enough to see moveset potential, recognize the video game nostalgia, and the gaze into the glory of the fantastic foursome battles ahead, as well as along with every lay person and newly hyped smash fan who wasnt going to get the game and now is, I am excited for Pacman.

He opened the market like a BBC to a virgin white girl. You can ignore it or accept its beauty.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, the Garbage Block does hurt Lip's chances even further; still, I doubt that'd be enough to officially disconfirm her.

Let's just wait 'till the game's release to unveil her true fate....

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, the Garbage Block does hurt Lip's chances even further; still, I doubt that'd be enough to officially disconfirm her.

Let's just wait 'till the game's release to unveil her true fate....
In my eyes. frankly she is plain disconfirmed for playable spot at this point. We can now hope for Assist-status as any possible upgrade but I'll eat my hat if she's playable after all things pointing clearly otherwise.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I mean, her chances are beyond dire right now, but there's always a small brink of hope. An incredibly small one, but hey, it's there.

I'm not saying I believe she's still playable, but hey, it could still happen...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Her wand is still an item, which may imply she wouldn't have that in her move set (although the Fire Flower would beg to differ). Kirby still turns into a garbage block, which implies she couldn't use those in her move set either.

What's left is, basically, panels and flower-based magic. We're kind of running low on options here.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I could perhaps put in one more thought on this however:

What if we a Panel De Pon-theme stage, yet she's not represented as a playable? Kinda like the similar deal with Animal Crossing in Brawl.

I though expect more music from her series though. The above suggestion wouldn't be too far off either in my eyes.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Just because she's disconfirmed doesn't mean we have to abandon the thread. It's still fun to specumalate, and I'm always trying to rally up interest (unsuccessfully, but...) for Operation Save Lip.

Considering Animal Crossing had only a stage in Brawl but earned itself a playable character in 4, a stage would definitely work if Nintendo's international branches didn't try to butcher it into a Pokemon stage or something. Last time we got a PDP game over here (Planet Puzzle League) they were STILL trying to bury the fairies.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
OH, garbage kirby ruined everyones hope. I gather.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I mean, her chances are beyond dire right now, but there's always a small brink of hope. An incredibly small one, but hey, it's there.

I'm not saying I believe she's still playable, but hey, it could still happen...
He is right. It is not over until Sakurai sings.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Her wand is still an item, which may imply she wouldn't have that in her move set (although the Fire Flower would beg to differ).
Yeah, they could just give her the wand as her weapon and just remove the flower effect, similar to Ness and the home run bat.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'm hoping she's an assist trophy. I'll always want her as a playable, but if she can show up every other match to do a thing here and there, I'd be pretty thrilled. It would also boost her exposure and chances for the next game. Baby steps?

She has to be at least a collectable trophy, though, considering Fat Mac. It'd be pretty bizarre if she wasn't, especially considering the content her series has already gotten in the Smash series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not a Project M Lip yet (muahahaha!), just a Peach model swap. A good one, though.

We should see if we could get that model into Project M as a legit Lip character once it's done!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
The creator is having a difficult time rigging the model properly and has been losing a lot of motivation. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but the project may be discontinued if he no longer feels like working on it (sad, but it's quite a bit of work and he isn't a professional modeler by any means).

If I get a straight answer from him on whether or not the project will continue, I will let you all know.

In the meantime, for those of you who like neat Panel De Pon fanart, there's a neat fansite here (in complete Japanese) that updates every now and then with super cool (and often super cute) drawings. The site still updates frequently (there was an update just earlier today with an awesome drawing) so I encourage you fellow fans to give it a peek or two. I also encourage you to send in fanmail if you can! I sent in a letter earlier thanking the owner for the dedicated work, and he/she got back to me right away and even made a subtle update on the site about it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The creator is having a difficult time rigging the model properly and has been losing a lot of motivation. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but the project may be discontinued if he no longer feels like working on it (sad, but it's quite a bit of work and he isn't a professional modeler by any means).

If I get a straight answer from him on whether or not the project will continue, I will let you all know.
He can always hand the model work over to someone he feels is more experienced, if he ever thinks he won't be able to get something presentable together. That may have sounded ruder or more blunt than I meant it to sound, but you get the idea.

In the meantime, for those of you who like neat Panel De Pon fanart, there's a neat fansite here (in complete Japanese) that updates every now and then with super cool (and often super cute) drawings. The site still updates frequently (there was an update just earlier today with an awesome drawing) so I encourage you fellow fans to give it a peek or two. I also encourage you to send in fanmail if you can! I sent in a letter earlier thanking the owner for the dedicated work, and he/she got back to me right away and even made a subtle update on the site about it.
Oh my gosh where has this website been all of my life?

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Good news and bad news here.

The bad news is that the modeler has, in fact, discontinued the project. Kind of sad, but what can you do.

The good news is that the creator gave me the (unfinished) model so I could play around with it, and I have permission to put this model up for download here. So, while it may not be finished, you all can still experience the Lip model all you want in Brawl. You may download it here. It's as close as we're going to get at this point.

If there is any modeler or rigger out there who would like to take up this abandoned project and finish it, please contact me right away. I have access to the model's raw 3ds max file.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Too good to be true. :(

With Lip's overwhelming obscurity, I can't see any of the more prominent modelers in the community knowing one bit about this project... Let's hope for a miracle though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've been thinking about Lip in Project M, and I've come to a conclusion: If Lip is playable in Project M, she stands a much better chance of making it into the next official Smash Bros. game.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, but hear me out. Why did so few people vote for Lip during the polls for U/3DS? That's right, she was too obscure. Now I don't think I need to tell you how big Project M is in the Smash competitive scene. I won't go so far as to say it was single-handedly responsible for the wave of Mewtwo support that came about in the events building up to U/3DS's release, but it was certainly a major contributing factor.

By exposing so many players to an unknown character like Lip - even better, if she's A. high-tier and B. fun to play as - we're exposing the series and its characters to those who wouldn't have otherwise gven a care. The more people who know about Lip, the more people who like her, and the more people who like her, the more who might vote for her in the next official polls.

So if you wanted Lip playable in Smash 4 and ever want her to stand a chance at making it into Smash 5, or 6, or any other Smash Bros. game, head on down to that clone engine discussion thread and vote for her! She needs all the help she can get.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
To anyone left please vote for lip in the project m clone character discussion, im desperate to see lip :c

D

Deleted member

Always like designs like Panel De Pon characters, so I do approve of the idea.

The chances of her being in? Don't approve of those.

Can always hope for a franchise revival though.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
How well is that Lip model rigged? I could get one of buddies to retexture her if it's good.

And I intend to make her into a project.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
How well is that Lip model rigged? I could get one of buddies to retexture her if it's good.

And I intend to make her into a project.
Would you? That would be amazing to see. :)

Top Bottom