• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Hopefully not nsfw like how everyone in smash 4 got some :( I bet that she'd be a lot more popular though

Hong

The Strongest
She is very cute.

A lot of games on the mobile market initially had very poor sales, and they were made more cute and became the next big thing. It can make or break whether or not people pay attention to a product. For example, for me, it's very easy to look over a product with very plain aesthetics. Especially if it has a generic stock buzzcut male protagonist on the front. Cute and colourful box art tends to catch my eye a lot easier.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If Lip did get a revival, how would her popularity grow everywhere that isnt Japan?
They could make the reboot comedic. The setting is super-cartoony and in many ways similar to the Mushroom Kingdom, and Super Mario Bros. is a highly non-serious series (especially the RPGs), so turning the revival series into a comedy - while still devoting a healthy amount of time to character development - and/or making Lip snarky-but-not-overbearing (sort of like Twilight Sparkle I suppose, if you'll pardon the reference) would I think be a good way to endear itself to Western audiences. After all, the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games were, with the possible exception of Sticker Star, all warmly received over here.

Hopefully not nsfw like how everyone in smash 4 got some :(
Trust me. On the internet, nothing is safe from NSFW artwork, not even Lip.

She is very cute.

A lot of games on the mobile market initially had very poor sales, and they were made more cute and became the next big thing. It can make or break whether or not people pay attention to a product. For example, for me, it's very easy to look over a product with very plain aesthetics. Especially if it has a generic stock buzzcut male protagonist on the front. Cute and colourful box art tends to catch my eye a lot easier.
I know I'm a lot more likely to buy something with colorful cartoonish characters on the box art, however girlish it may appear, than anything showcasing a perpetually earth-toned scene of conflict. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to be the only company that puts out games like the former on a regular basis anymore.

For example, for me, it's very easy to look over a product with very plain aesthetics.
This, right here, is why Planet Puzzle League performed under expectations. 9/10 of the game (10/10 if you live outside of Japan) took itself way too seriously, ditching the friendly silly fairy characters for a terribly generic aesthetic. (Although, to be fair, the Dr. Mario + Puzzle League multicart did that first, though that at least had Lip's panic theme.) There were some gameplay issues too I think, like it was a lot slower and floatier-feeling, but the lack of fairies was far more obvious - newcomers to the series didn't mind, but the old guard felt kind of betrayed.

---

I've said this before, but part of the reason I'm excited for Splatoon is because most of its cast appears to consist of young, cute girls... kind of like another video game series we're all familiar with. If Splatoon sells as well as I suspect it may, it will officially prove to Nintendo that cuteness definitely has a market, and they might end up brave enough to release PDP into Western territories.
Maybe it's a little pie-in-the-sky, but I can dream...

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hi there!

For a Panel de Pon reboot I think that the Nintendo Puzzle Collection entry offer almost what I want. These things are:

1. Animated VS Battle spirtes they look and act so funny and cute its not the same without them!
2. [1 Player] Animated backgrounds! Not those flashy ones from the DS port. Chaining was a pain for my eyes!
3. More male characters I think that Kain's apperance broght some fresh air! And it could offer more story potetial.
4. Netplay!!! Since Wi-Fi wiped out in May I am in dire need of some good matches!
5. As you may be already think No-Characters are not an option for me! (Pretending to be tough)

I don't know, if Rosalina would have pointed ears I suggest her origin could be "Popples-Realm of the fairy's" but what if that doesn't matter hmm... at least Popples is similar to the world of Mario but still another planet. Her origin needs to be unveiled official!

I think also that the fireflower is the perfect comboitem of Lip and Flare maybe created in an alliance agains a mighty foe?! And maybe pact-item granting (you guessed it) fire and photosynthesis for the flower aspect to generate infinite fireballs (which is so energy-efficient that it work even in dark caves)! Bu bu but from where does Bowser have his fire...? I have to stop!

Lip is still and after all a unique character for smash it whould be a pitty if she is not considered! She had to make her apperance for the west!

With best regards LipFlare

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
As much as King K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer, I still have a place in my heart for a possible Lip appearance. She got the shaft worse than anyone, even appearing as a FORGOTTEN character in Captain Rainbow. D: FORGOTTEN. Meaning just like the Kremling King I want so bad, she was cast aside, never to show up again until Panel de Pon DS in Japan.

It's not fair, really. Lip is damn adorable, but has proven that she can fight a demon king and a goddess (her mother). I feel she deserves a crack at mascots like Mario himself, and could even wipe the floor with Bowser lol.

Lip needs to come back. That's not a question, really. This is a new generation of gamers who appreciate mascots, and a lot of younger girl gamers who could love her. Lip deserves a second chance, and possibly the chance where she gets established once and for all. After all, if Mario and Yoshi can stay in their own puzzle game series, Lip should too. Puzzle League is HER series. Not Yoshi's or Pokemon's.

That's all.

Luminario

Smash Lord
If Lip did get a revival, how would her popularity grow everywhere that isnt Japan?
Well Panel de Pon will probably get a english translated release if she's received well by fans. After that if someone wants to revive the franchise they could either go down the classic puzzle game route or go for a new RPG type game (kickin ass with 9 adorable fairies, I don't understand how that isn't a reoccurring thing yet)

also AMEN to @ TCRhade TCRhade and someone really needs to tell Nintendo to step up the cuteness and revive Lip as reigning queen of the puzzle games

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well Panel de Pon will probably get a english translated release if she's received well by fans. After that if someone wants to revive the franchise they could either go down the classic puzzle game route or go for a new RPG type game (kickin *** with 9 adorable fairies, I don't understand how that isn't a reoccurring thing yet)

also AMEN to @ TCRhade TCRhade and someone really needs to tell Nintendo to step up the cuteness and revive Lip as reigning queen of the puzzle games
Yep, too bad her game gets reskinned as either a Yoshi puzzle game or a Pokemon puzzle game.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
someone really needs to tell Nintendo to step up the cuteness and revive Lip as reigning queen of the puzzle games
I actually did email Nintendo and they said
"I’ll be sure to document your comments regarding wanting to see Lip from Panel de Pon added to these highly anticipated new games, as well as wanting to see a new Panel de Pon game released for Nintendo 3DS. "

smashkirby

Smash Hero
"I’ll be sure to document your comments regarding wanting to see Lip from Panel de Pon added to these highly anticipated new games, as well as wanting to see a new Panel de Pon game released for Nintendo 3DS. "
Wait a minute, are you saying that Lip might actually have a chance to be exposed to the U.S.?:surprised:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think you just got the common email that Nintendo sends to people who asks questions with only a few edits here and there.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Heh, I'm glad to see my post about Lip was such a hit. XD Go flower fairy!

And nice email, there, fella. Here's to hoping something actially comes of it.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I love the moveset and illustrations in the opening post. Very well done. I wish Sakurai can see this kind of support, and possibly use it as incentive to add her.

Count me in. There's lots of great reasons to add her. And I think she'd be really fun.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just looked at the Moveset for Lip under the Art Spoilers and my gosh, I have never seen a more diverse character in my life. Imagine the Edge gameplay she could do with her > B.

Chalk me up as a Lip supporter. I see nothing but pure potential for this Fairy Princess.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I just looked at the Moveset for Lip under the Art Spoilers and my gosh, I have never seen a more diverse character in my life. Imagine the Edge gameplay she could do with her > B.

Chalk me up as a Lip supporter. I see nothing but pure potential for this Fairy Princess.
Ooh, I gotta take a look, since I'm making a Brawl mod for her. ;)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking, I still wish we could have gotten Lip this go...

If DLC ever pops up as an option, I'd definitely throw in my full support for Lip again (assuming Snake, K. Rool, Ridley, and Takamaru are already in). I do hope some of these mods get finished though, it would be a nice substitute for the meantime.
It makes me kind of mad that some random characters like the Chorus Men could get in (assuming Gematsu is true) over Lip. They're just cheap WarioWare knockoffs while Lip represents a completely unrepresented genre (by a playable character, anyway) by way of puzzle games. Apologies if anyone here happen to be Chorus Men supporters as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking, I still wish we could have gotten Lip this go...

If DLC ever pops up as an option, I'd definitely throw in my full support for Lip again (assuming Snake, K. Rool, Ridley, and Takamaru are already in). I do hope some of these mods get finished though, it would be a nice substitute for the meantime.
It makes me kind of mad that some random characters like the Chorus Men could get in (assuming Gematsu is true) over Lip. They're just cheap WarioWare knockoffs while Lip represents a completely unrepresented genre (by a playable character, anyway) by way of puzzle games. Apologies if anyone here happen to be Chorus Men supporters as well.
Lip's got a chance. She may not have the best chances in the world, but they are still there.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte

I agree. I think the Chorus Men would be the absolute dumbest inclusion in the history of Smash Bros. Why them instead of deserving characters like K. Rool or even Lip? I don't get that man sometimes. (Sakurai)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm still of the party that believes her signature weapon knocked any chances away. I just won't sit in denial over it, just like denying Sal Romano has become laughable at this point (though I still hope that he was a sham, or at least wrong about the Chorus Men).

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah... I kept griping about Pac-Man before he was revealed, but at least many people in the fanbase wanted or at least expected him. I can think of... maybe two people who support Chorus Boys, on this forum at least.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Liking all the support this character gets even when her chances are shot. Love you guys. I haven't contributed much to discussions lately, but I'm still hanging out here reading what's going on.

On the subject of reboots, I'm in the RPG boat. A Panel De Pon RPG in the spirit of Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi would instantly become a favorite of mine.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah... I kept griping about Pac-Man before he was revealed, but at least many people in the fanbase wanted or at least expected him. I can think of... maybe two people who support Chorus Boys, on this forum at least.
Pac-Man is actually the only newcomer I'm excited about, which is sad. Out of all the characters I wanted to see, there's just him.
There's still hope for my most wanted though, thankfully.

A lot of people "support" the Chorus Men. As in, a lot of people jumped on the Gematsu bandwagon and act like they want them so they won't end up disappointed or something. No offense to the two people who actually did want them before the leak.
On the subject of reboots, I'm in the RPG boat. A Panel De Pon RPG in the spirit of Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi would instantly become a favorite of mine.

Panel de Pon RPG, if it played like Superstar Saga but used puzzle elements for the battles, I'd buy it in an instant.
We like cute things too, Nintendo. Kirby sells doesn't he? Besides the fact that he's apparently angry when he leaves Japan.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
When I think "Unique RPG" I think of Inazuma Eleven. Wonder how that would work with puzzle elements.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Liking all the support this character gets even when her chances are shot. Love you guys. I haven't contributed much to discussions lately, but I'm still hanging out here reading what's going on.

A Puzzle RPG would be pretty neat.
But we'll have to see what Nintendo does.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Good to see this thread is picking back up. I was worried for a bit that my plea for Project M Lip votes may had fallen on deaf ears.

...Don't even get me started on the ideas I have for a Panel de Pon RPG. Heheheheheheh...

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Eh eh? EH?!

*caugh* Hi there^^

Lip need to return to her series as a main character anything other would be non-canon for a western release. I mean an RPG could be created if her reputation (as a puzzlegame heroine) is restored then the story could be reshaped to a RPG.

A cameo for Lip in smash is the welcome appeal to us fans that the toughts still exits about Lip and her series.

I recall: Captain Rainbow didn't it for her series just for the characters. "Captain" was for me not more as a master of puppets. Why would be Crazy Tracy ( a potionvendor in a spin-off from The Legend of Zelda game) equal to Lip?! Lip IS the original main heroine of her own series?! Takamaru ... you remain a worthy opponent even if the Mii's are the third swordfighter and use your shurkikans on the top of it.

So far my thoughts have a nice time everyone!

LipFlare

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It does kind of upset me that she was in Captain Rainbow. If you were in that game, it was basically the equivalent of Nintendo throwing up their hands and saying "I don't know what to do with your series anymore" (this was about four years before Days of Ruin was ever released in Japan).

That being the case, it's really infuriating how much potential this series has that Nintendo can't see and won't exploit because they think there's no market for it.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
It does kind of upset me that she was in Captain Rainbow. If you were in that game, it was basically the equivalent of Nintendo throwing up their hands and saying "I don't know what to do with your series anymore" (this was about four years before Days of Ruin was ever released in Japan).

That being the case, it's really infuriating how much potential this series has that Nintendo can't see and won't exploit because they think there's no market for it.
What's pathetic is that they'll exploit WORTHLESS princesses (*cough*peachanddaisy*cough*) and yet they have Lip. XD

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite happy to see her support still surging.

I wondered about one thing and that is, will we get Captain Rainbow-themed stage in Wii U SSB4? I mean, after seeing Big Mac-trophy, you would think they took some look on Captain Rainbow obviously.

I'd die for a stage which features quest cameos from the folk from CR, such as Lip or Takamaru. Would make for nice exposure too and double as another stage for Mac.

But yeah. A puzzle-based RPG for PDP would be really great - if in vein of Mario & Luigi, then I suggest we'd have something similar to Tomato Adventure's Gimmick-system where each weapon used a minigame to determine it's power:

Basically replace the minigames with puzzles? I dunno. Maybe inflict different kinds of magic.

Also, we're not alone about PdP-RPG concept:

Someone actually went off on RPG Maker 2003 to do this... might really say, Lip's fans might not be much, but they sure are the most active.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Wait, two fangames? What's the other one of?
And also, as cool as this one is, has it even been finished? It seems that there hasn't been much activity coming from the game in years ^^;

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What's pathetic is that they'll exploit WORTHLESS princesses (*cough*peachanddaisy*cough*) and yet they have Lip. XD
Now now, Peach can kick plenty of tuckus on her own (as SMB2 and Mario 3D World can attest to). Daisy, on the other hand... I never really got all the hype for her. She's kind of cute, but mostly she's uninteresting and in the later games she has a really annoying voice. It's a shame she's the more visible flower princess, really.

And also, as cool as this one is, has it even been finished? It seems that there hasn't been much activity coming from the game in years ^^;
If it's still undergoing development, it's slow. The last I heard of it, the author had lost most of his work somehow (or had thrown it out) and was going to restart from scratch.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
It does kind of upset me that she was in Captain Rainbow. If you were in that game, it was basically the equivalent of Nintendo throwing up their hands and saying "I don't know what to do with your series anymore"
I wouldn't say that. Little Mac got a reboot on the Wii after his appearance in CR, and Takamaru ended up getting some exposure here and there (not a reboot, but it was still something). I don't think Captain Rainbow really doomed anyone. I was actually quite happy to see Lip in Captain Rainbow, as I found it to be a nice tribute.

Top Bottom