• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You mean the item getting deconfirmed, or the item being revealed which leads to us supposing deconfirmation of Lip?

On the former, I'd be really surprised happily because it'll show that there truly will be things changing up from now on. I hope the latter won't thus happen.
Sorry, I meant the latter, as in, Lip's Stick being revealed would deconfirm Lip.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry, I meant the latter, as in, Lip's Stick being revealed would deconfirm Lip.
This depends on how Sakurai would even show the item. I find it unlikely for it to be even show at all, considering what's been going on with franchise-based items returning from last games not given their own updates on daily pics. The closest then would be use seeing Lip's Stick in one of the newcomer trailers, or other future promo videos - chances for those are again really up in the air, so anything could happen.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm, Lip seems to be quite the unique character. I'm all up for that, add me to the supporter list please.

andimidna

Smash Master
This thread seems to have gotten a lot of attention since I was last here. It was at around... Page 12 when I first posted?
Regardless, I'm a supporter!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
You want to post any PdP-art you made?
I haven't been able to draw much at all recently, sadly, due to being busy. I doodled one of the fairies (Elias) some time ago, but that's about it. It's just a quick, scribbly doodle, but I'll share if you want to see for whatever reason.

Now food for thought: I wonder how, and when Lip could be revealed.
I still think a secret unlockable character is the most likely (and is my preferred) scenario.

Question: Are you folks considering the potential reveal of Lip's Stick being deconfirmation of the character?
We had discussed this before, yes. The general idea was that it wouldn't necessarily deconfirm her, as the Screw Attack/Badge never bothered Samus much (although that case is a bit different, actually), but it would most certainly hurt her chances a lot.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
If Lips Stick was revealed, I wouldn't say it completely de-confirms Lip as a playable character, I mean Ness uses a Baseball Bat, Samus' up B ect.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I worked on a moveset for her, and it got me thinking...

Why did I never say this before??
I support Lip.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
Question: Are you folks considering the potential reveal of Lip's Stick being deconfirmation of the character?
It could hurt her chances but not completely, there's the ScrewAttack item despite Samus being playable. Same with the Baseball Bat item and Ness.

Edit: TC, could you change "Pichu4SSB4" to my current nickname on the Supporters List? Thanks! =]

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think the difference between those things is that Lip's Stick is really iconic and important to her--she's not ever seen without it. The Screw Attack was an important power up for Samus, but (as I understand) she doesn't carry it around like it's her pride and joy and show it off. It's just a power up.

Ness' bat is pretty important and iconic to him, as it is his main type of weapon in Earthbound, but even he doesn't carry it around or use it everywhere. He uses it as his forward smash, but that's about it. His main and iconic way of attacking is with his various PSI abilities.

Lip, on the other hand, carries her stick everywhere. It's her iconic weapon of choice, she's literally never seen without it. Hypothetically, if she were to be in Smash Bros, her stick would make up at least the majority of her standard A attack moveset. It's like King Dedede and his hammer. He's always seen with it and he's obviously going to use it a ton in battle.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I think the difference between those things is that Lip's Stick is really iconic and important to her--she's not ever seen without it. The Screw Attack was an important power up for Samus, but (as I understand) she doesn't carry it around like it's her pride and joy and show it off. It's just a power up.

Ness' bat is pretty important and iconic to him, as it is his main type of weapon in Earthbound, but even he doesn't carry it around or use it everywhere. He uses it as his forward smash, but that's about it. His main and iconic way of attacking is with his various PSI abilities.

Lip, on the other hand, carries her stick everywhere. It's her iconic weapon of choice, she's literally never seen without it. Hypothetically, if she were to be in Smash Bros, her stick would make up at least the majority of her standard A attack moveset. It's like King Dedede and his hammer. He's always seen with it and he's obviously going to use it a ton in battle.
Regardless, I wouldn't say it 100% deconfirms her, but it would hurt her chances a lot.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Regardless, I wouldn't say it 100% deconfirms her, but it would hurt her chances a lot.
Agreed.

Does anyone know if the noise for her is a small thing local to Smashboards or are more people feeling good about mentioning her/asking for her? Also, what are the Japanese requests like?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Agreed.

Does anyone know if the noise for her is a small thing local to Smashboards or are more people feeling good about mentioning her/asking for her? Also, what are the Japanese requests like?
I've seen a quite a few Japanese requesting her, but I don't really know to be sure.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Japanese requests are very little actually, they don't even talk about Takamaru.
Yeah, I noticed that a lot in the different places I check Smash news out at. Every Smash before this one, there was always a long list of folks that the east and west would have and someone would compile them both for us to see, but with this one, its like no one in Japan is really talking much.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Have I expressed that I'm a Lip supporter? I'm not sure.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
On thing we should think about is how the Western republic would respond to her after her reveal. It's obvious that girls would find her adorable, while the guys …… that would be a very different story (especially for the younger ones).

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yo, i don't think i've hit up this thread yet- add me to the Lip supporters. With all these heavy additions of female characters, Lip seems like as good a rep as any for not only retro but female. And hasn't Sakurai praised her game before?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As far as we are concerned, Lip wouldn't be too weirdly received over. She has plenty of charm and is able to win hearts of fans - and her being unheard of gives Smash 4 yet again new flavour after Wii Fit Trainer from before.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
On thing we should think about is how the Western republic would respond to her after her reveal. It's obvious that girls would find her adorable, while the guys …… that would be a very different story (especially for the younger ones).
Well, given Nintendo's target demographic, I don't think it would be that odd.... unless they wanted someone like Master Chief or Shadow in Smash Bros.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone again^^

... Yeah! *take a deep breath* Lip would be the perfect addition for Smash Bros not only because she is a puzzle game character she would also be the first magic wand user! [*1]

I am sure she would recieve overly positve resonance form the audience ,supporter and such people who don't know who the original mascot of thier beloved "Tetris Attack" , "Planet Puzzle League(US)" or "Puzzle League(EU)"
is which game they still enjoy! *caugh* (no more Wi-Fi battles as from 20/5/2014! [ Intelligent Systems you have to do something >.<*])

Well where was I...? Lip's stick is her weapon of choice, HER weapon! I may overdo it but just imagine: ~Items: [All off] except Link's Mastersword (!) Ganondorf with Mastersword?! Link: „Why does everyone have my sword! >.<“~
I hope you see what I mean it would be also strange that Lip dual wielding her stick! ...Dual magic wand user ... I went off again!

Just to be honestly I think it is a discornfimation for Lip if her stick shown without it's name giver.

After all her chances are somewhat good and with you guys arround and your nice ideas Lip's chances will rise even more! :) [I hope that doesn't sound to cheesy but it's just the truth]

Have a good time everyone^^

LipFlare

[*1] Rosalina uses her wand for control her luma not for fighting.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest the internet forums (not so much this one) and Miiverse will be full of bro-dudes and sexually insecure teenagers and prepubescents foaming at the mouth at how 'gay' it is having a fairy in the game. I do hope that I'm wrong and attitudes have changed over the years, but I doubt it.

Yo, i don't think i've hit up this thread yet- add me to the Lip supporters. With all these heavy additions of female characters, Lip seems like as good a rep as any for not only retro but female. And hasn't Sakurai praised her game before?
Yep, he referred to it as a masterpiece, and it is indeed. Dr. Mario may be Nintendo's most famous and popular puzzle series, but the Puzzle League series is by far the best. Dr. Mario is wonderful, I love it, but it doesn't come close to the level of depth and strategy that Puzzle League has. I just wish I was some good at it.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Lip was another one of those characters I wouldn't mind seeing be playable. But after seeing lightdasher's animations make me want to see this character now. Her concept alone is just too good to pass up, I feel.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Lip was another one of those characters I wouldn't mind seeing be playable. But after seeing lightdasher's animations make me want to see this character now. Her concept alone is just too good to pass up, I feel.
^this
I never played a Panel de Pon game, but seeing Lip's concept as a fighter alone really makes me want her in smash 4.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm on the same boat. I still wouldn't say I support Lip, but I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if she got in the game - she looks to have potential. And those gif's here are just so darn cute!

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
So I'm not unsre if this has been brought up before, but if Lip was a playable character, wouldn't it also be likely to have a Panel de Pon themed stage as well? If there was a stage, what do you guys think it would be like?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I made a moveset for Lip.
At least needed to make one before the inevitable disconfirmation in April.
Stats

Weight -- 3
Size -- 5
Ground Speed -- 5
Air Speed -- 6
Fall Speed -- 3

Attacks

Jab: Swipes her stick twice horizontally then stabs forward.

Forward Tilt: Swings her stick horizontally as it shoots a short range blast of dust.

Up Tilt: Turns toward the background and whacks her stick over her head like a hammer. Wrecking Crew reference.

Down Tilt: Whacks her stick on the ground like a hammer, moving forward slightly. Picross reference.

Dash Attack: Skids forward as a rainbow trails behind her feet on the ground.

Neutral Aerial: Spins around horizontally with her stick.

Forward Aerial: Swipes her stick forward as dust shoots out.

Backward Aerial: Swipes her stick behind her as a four large flowers quickly arc around her back. Partially a Yoshi's Cookie reference, except the cookies are flowers.

Up Aerial: Aims her stick upwards and shoots a short blast of dust from it.

Down Aerial: Feverishly sweeps her stick underneath her.

Forward Smash: Spins her stick behind her while charging, then whacks it in front of her three times. A reference to Kirby's Super Star Stacker.

Up Smash: Bends down while charging, then raises her hands in the air as two rose vines shoot up from both sides.

Down Smash: Kneels on the ground while charging, then puts her hand down to the floor, summoning two rose vines that crawl along the ground on both sides.

Grab: Grabs onto the opponent with one hand.

Pummel: Knocks the opponent on the head with her stick.

Forward Throw: Mallo jumps out from behind her and stands in front of her. They push the enemy forward with both hands. Obviously a Pushmo reference.

Back Throw: A Turning Post sprouts near the opponent. She grabs onto the post with both hands, swings around it sideways, then turns into the opponent, kicking them backwards. A Clu Clu Land reference.

Up Throw: Spawns a bomb and raises it over her head with the opponent on top of it. The bomb explodes and sends the opponent flying upwards. Wario's Woods reference.

Down Throw: Jumps over the enemy while sitting on a Tetromino and falls on top of them. Straight up Tetris refrence.

Neutral Special: Clear - Lip swings the stick forward, creating a magic trail of pops forward that damage and carry the opponent away. You can charge it by holding the button down longer. The longer you charge, the more pops there will be, meaning the opponent will be carried much farther away and, of course, take damage more times. Lip can charge the attack from doing three to eight pops. While charging this attack, you can tilt up to make Lip swing the stick with an uppercut and create a magic trail upwards instead.
Used in midair and aimed up, Lip will do a back-flip jump with the attack.

Side Special: Switch - Lip raises her hand in front of her, creating a cursor that can instantly switch places with the opponent. You will carry a bit of momentum out of the switch, as will the opponent. If an item is in ahead of you, you can switch with it as well.

Up Special: Lift - Lip raises her hands up and summons a red heart panel directly on the ground in front of her. More red panels will continue to raise underneath it as you hold the button. If the button is released, the column will still continue to raise; just at a much slower pace. No more than eight panels can be lifted at a time. And anytime three or more panels are exactly adjacent to each other, they will automatically clear. Just like in Panel de Pon.
Two red panels are what you want to be connected at one time and here is why. When an opponent makes contact with two adjacent panels, he or she will freeze up temporarily and be popped away as the other panels clear. This doesn't happen to Lip of course.
When used in the air, Lip will throw the red panel directly under her. This gives her a boost upwards, though it is not very significant.
Attacking the panel will make it slide away. Anyone can attack them, but be aware it does not work with projectiles: only physical attacks. The distance a panel goes depends on how powerful the attack is. It doesn't do damage when sliding, but it will push you as it goes. Now in the case that it is attacked, a panel will no longer raise others from underneath it. It will just sit there on the stage, lonely. But it still counts toward the eight-panel limit and works with others to clear.

Down Special: Garbage - Lip raises her hands above her head. From above the top of the screen, a garbage block will fall down into her hands. Anyone in the way of it when it falls takes big damage. She carries it like a heavy object, and when she throws it, it breaks apart into smaller panels. THESE panels do not work with other panels on screen; these panels act as regular projectiles and disappear on contact.The panels fly out in an arc continuing the direction of the garbage block, so it is kind of like watching a ball bounce across the floor. Only the ball breaks into smaller balls each time it bounces.
In Panel de Pon, a garbage block would be bigger as you chained longer combos. Lip has a similar mechanic here. A big, blue number will appear on the opponent whenever Lip hits them with the Clear special, or pops them with panels from Lift. The number will increase each time you combo them with these moves. Now, using the Garbage attack will summon a much larger block. It does much more damage of course. When thrown, it breaks apart more times as well.

Final Smash: Fairy Friends

A directional Final Smash. Lip calls on the puzzle league from Panel de Pon to perform a tetris attack. It's based on the final stages from Panel de Pon, where all of Lip's friends proclaimed, "You can use our powers to help." (I think that's what it was.)
The eight fairies appear around her. They use the power of wind, fire, ice, water, nature, moon, gems, and sea to attack. Each one rushes forward, one-by-one, performing quick attacks based on their elements. Some of them attack horizontally, while others do vertical attacks. And then Lip finishes with a running, slash with her stick.

Taunts
All that matters is that she would inherit Dr. Mario's taunt.

How she would play

Lip is floaty and nimble. Her lightness means she is quite easy to K.O. Her attack power is extremely low, but her ability to sprout damaging flowers on the opponents head with each standard attack makes up for this.
She has a good deal of speed, and her aerials initiate without hesitation. Of course, at 1-9 damage percent a hit, you would expect them to be quick. Her throws are basic, but actually do a fair amount of damage, going up from 10-20%. This is because they do not attach a flower. The other moves that don't attach flowers are her dash attack, up smash, and down smash. Up and Down Smash actually make decent kill moves if you are not wanting to use the Garbage Block; the roses cover good range on both sides. Forward Smash is an unconventional move: the opponent trips with each hit, it sprouts a flower on their head, but it does 1% damage each hit even when the charge is maxed. It is mainly meant for agitating the opponent. Or stalling.
All of her special attacks work towards a unified purpose; they allow her to control the stage effectively. Most of her play-style is based on trap laying. Lift is the most useful move in her moveset; it stalls, zones, applies pressure, and can build up power for her kill move, the Garbage Block. However, using it as a recovery is not the best idea. An up-aimed Clear in midair is a better option for recovery; it raises her almost the same distance as Marth's Dolphin Slash.
Lip is a very thought-intensive character. You have to be aware of timing and placement constantly. Where is the opponent going? Will they fall in the right spot? Are the panels going to raise to three and disappear? Should one be moved to the side? Know that your opponent can move the panels too in some cases, and be able to adjust your strategy accordingly.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
Why are we expecting a disconfirmation in April? Have I missed something?
I think it's because people believe we won't get more than one character that appeared in Captain Rainbow, if Takamaru does get in Lip's chances could decrease. But, personally i'd love to see both Lip and Takamaru make it into the roster. Sakurai has previously said that he wants to see more retro characters be added afterall.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If Takamaru and Mac get in without Lip, I'd be disappointed. If anything, getting Takamaru after the Fat Mac from Captain Rainbow makes her feel more likely.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, here's a picture I've found with a more older and detailed looking Lip. Sort of reminds me of the concept behind Pit's redesign. Also it reminds me of a fighting game character.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh yeah, here's a picture I've found with a more older and detailed looking Lip. Sort of reminds me of the concept behind Pit's redesign. Also it reminds me of a fighting game character.

The pervert side of me is saying YES!

But, I rather a design more closer to the original. :p

Top Bottom