• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Aw hell, looks like I spoke too soon.

Still doesn't entirely do any deconfirming -per se-, but I'm not quite as confident anymore.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Exhibit A. The Fire Flower
Exhibit B. Star Rod
Exhibit C. Screw Attack
Exhibit D. Bombchu (recently revealed even!)

And yet, we still have Mario, Kirby, Samus, and Link.

...Yeah, I don't believe myself either. :/

Last edited:

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
But Lord Helix said she would be in without a doubt. If she's not in the game, then Lord Helix is truly a liar, and is the true evil lord!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wait a minute.

Diddy Kong is back.[...]
[Ms. Tetris] is a newcomer. (No name is actually specified in the message. It is just known that the newcomer uses Tetris blocks and other puzzle things to fight, so I refer to her Ms. Tetris.)[...]

The Master Ball is a new item.[...]
Zelda and Rosalina share the ability to summon a controllable helper. Zelda's is slow and strong, while Rosalina's is fast and weak.[...]

Lip's Stick returns.
All is not lost!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I guess she can still be a trophy, perhaps along with the other Captain Rainbow characters.

Oh well...I got Mega Man, I suppose I should be happy.

sigh :(

tirkaro

Smash Champion
There's still hope guys, the Baseball Bat and Ness coexist. Same for ScrewAttack and Samus, i'm not counting this as a deconfirmation yet.
Yeah, that's why I said this isn't really a flat-out deconfirmation, as Lip's Stick is kind of a mainstay as far as items go, no matter what, so it could easily just be a Screwattack deal. Still, it'd feel weird to have Lip's signature weapon right there alongside an actual playable Lip, unless they rename it to something else or something.

Wait a minute.

All is not lost!
What even is this "leaker" anyway, I completely missed it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
@N. Onymous Where is that from?
What even is this "leaker" anyway, I completely missed it.
GaeozHero leak. I know this turn of events his has been a major blow to our collective enthusiasms, so I'm basically trying to hold on tight as I can to whatever tiny glimmer of hope there is left.

I think most people have discounted it because it claimed Ms. Tetris was a February reveal, but maybe that could have been human error? Hopefully?

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
GaeozHero leak. I know this turn of events his has been a major blow to our collective enthusiasms, so I'm basically trying to hold on tight as I can to whatever tiny glimmer of hope there is left.

I think most people have discounted it because it claimed Ms. Tetris was a February reveal, but maybe that could have been human error? Hopefully?
I checked the "leak's" original post, nowhere does it claim that Ms. Tetris or Diddy were a February reveal. Just that they were in the game. I'm curious as to where the February reveal date came from, since everything else has been correct so far (Master Ball item, Zelda's ability to summon a phantom/it's movement style, probably Palutena, and now Lip's stick).

It's a glimmer of hope at least.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I checked the "leak's" original post, nowhere does it claim that Ms. Tetris or Diddy were a February reveal. Just that they were in the game. I'm curious as to where the February reveal date came from, since everything else has been correct so far (Master Ball item, Zelda's ability to summon a phantom/it's movement style, probably Palutena, and now Lip's stick).

It's a glimmer of hope at least.
From the original post:
Diddy Kong and [Ms. Tetris] will be revealed this month.
"This month" being February. But it's right about just about everything else, so again, fingers crossed. Chin up, people, there's hope yet!

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice

Though it's just a rumor, "Ms. Tetris" actually sounds like a name they'd give Lip if they were to introduce her to the western audience for the first time.

Still, it'd feel weird to have Lip's signature weapon right there alongside an actual playable Lip, unless they rename it to something else or something.
Yeah, but, though it's just just me being very optimistic. It could work, Ness' signature weapon is the baseball bat is it not? And then there's the hammer which is Mario's signature weapon, in a way. And the ScrewAttack is Samus' most iconic move.

I don't know, i still believe in Lip.

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I feel silly now, not sure how I missed that line!

Lip still has a good chance in my opinion, but I'm going to keep my expectations low for the time being just in case.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Though it's just a rumor, "Ms. Tetris" actually sounds like a name they'd give Lip if they were to introduce her to the western audience for the first time.

Yeah, but, though is just just me being very optimistic. It could work, Ness' signature weapon is the baseball bat is it not? And then there's the hammer which is Mario's signature weapon, in a way.

I don't know, i still believe in Lip.
Ness uses a distinctly different baseball bat, which he only brings out in one attack and that he's never actually seen using in the game or official artwork, thus not being iconic to the character. The hammer is far less important to Mario than Lip's stick to Lip. It's easy to imagine Mario without his hammer (seeing as he's without it most of the time). If Lip makes an appearance anywhere, you can sure as hell bet she'll have her stick.

While the GaoezHero leak provides the faintest glimmer of hope, it is probably best to just forget about Lip in Smash for the time being until some miraculous surprise announcement happens. However, even Lip probably couldn't save the game for me. The characters revealed so far, and the characters likely to be revealed based on accurate sources really don't interest me that much, and some of my more hoped for characters have been disconfirmed. I am very glad I learned my lesson from Brawl and never got emotionally invested in this game.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
So the "leak" was right about Master Balls, Zelda/Rosalina helpers, and the return of Lip's Stick and Diddy Kong.

Those don't seem like really hard things to guess (the biggest surprise being Master Balls, but even that isn't a big deal to me), so I'm not really convinced now.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Ech.
I pretty much take all leaks with a grain of salt, and then some, even the E3 one that predicted WFT. That said, while the post at hand did indeed get some things correct, I'm kinda iffy on others. Like Shadow Moses being in (IMO, Snake's inclusion is feeling more and more unlikely at this point), and a mention of adventure mode (I highly doubt that's still in unless he confused it with Smash Run.)

The things he did get right feel kinda like safe bets, with Master Balls feeling like the only real standout prediction. I'll just wait and see I guess.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well it's nice to know not everyone here is throwing in the towel. Had me convinced as soon as the Master Ball showed up... Here's hopin' GaeozHero delivers!

Last edited:

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
Ness uses a distinctly different baseball bat, which he only brings out in one attack and that he's never actually seen using in the game or official artwork, thus not being iconic to the character. The hammer is far less important to Mario than Lip's stick to Lip. It's easy to imagine Mario without his hammer (seeing as he's without it most of the time). If Lip makes an appearance anywhere, you can sure as hell bet she'll have her stick.
Official Super Smash Bros Artwork for Ness:

Official Super Smash Bros Melee Artwork for Ness:

Yes, he's never seen using it in his game because of how the combat system in Earthbound is designed. His attacks appear as text. And it's true that the hammer is not so very relevant with Mario for the most part, but when it comes to his RPG series (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi) his hammer is a mainstay. It's just me looking on the bright side, anyway...

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I may have lost hope in seeing Lip appear as a playable character in this game, but I still want to see her make it in someday. I'm always going to want to play as Lip in Super Smash Bros, and I will always be supporting her for that reason. Nothing's gonna change that!

Also, the Home-Run Bat has no relation to Ness other than being a bat.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm doubtful about the Home-Run Bat, whether or not it shares a name with an EarthBound item (it does), but Mario and Luigi can throw fireballs, and the Fire Flower is a separate item. Maybe...?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'd really love to see the Ms. Tetris full post right about now. Anyone got a link?

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999

Aw hell, looks like I spoke too soon.

Still doesn't entirely do any deconfirming -per se-, but I'm not quite as confident anymore.
Oh man, that kind of worries me a bit as well...
Just out of curiosity however, where did you find this screen shot?

Last edited:

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Official Super Smash Bros Artwork for Ness:

Official Super Smash Bros Melee Artwork for Ness:

Yes, he's never seen using it in his game because of how the combat system in Earthbound is designed. His attacks appear as text. And it's true that the hammer is not so very relevant with Mario for the most part, but when it comes to his RPG series (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi) his hammer is a mainstay. It's just me looking on the bright side, anyway...
I was obviously talking about Earthbound/Mother artwork. And your point about Mario still doesn't change the fact that he is by far more likely to not have a hammer in his games than to have one, and they aren't even the same hammers anyway.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd really love to see the Ms. Tetris full post right about now. Anyone got a link?
Here it is:

Heads up, everyone. This info just got messaged to me a few minutes ago. It's from an older friend of mine - no, he doesn't work at Nintendo. I asked him if he was joking at first, but he said he has a reliable source.

The whole message was this:
---
Diddy Kong is back. [True.]

Minecart Madness is a new WiiU stage.

[Ms. Tetris] is a newcomer. (No name is actually specified in the message. It is just known that the newcomer uses Tetris blocks and other puzzle things to fight, so I refer to her Ms. Tetris.) [Lip?]

Diddy Kong and [Ms. Tetris] will be revealed this month. [Partially true. This was in February. Diddy Kong was revealed, but Ms. Tetris/Lip was not.]

The Master Ball is a new item. [True. This is what has me thinking this leaker may be on to something.]

Adventure Mode has a desert level, a factory level, and a volcano level.

Shadow Moses Island returns.

Zelda and Rosalina share the ability to summon a controllable helper. Zelda's is slow and strong, while Rosalina's is fast and weak. [Partially true? Luma is indeed fast and weak, but all Phantom does is charge forward and vanish. It does at least appear to be slow and strong. As a guess, maybe it can be given a Luma-esque degree of controllability via custom move set.]

Palutena is a new fighter. [Possibly true, but a safe guess.]

Lip's Stick returns. [True.]

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hmm, I want to believe so I will. lol
If you're posting in this thread, you should. Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, though, or will the GaeozHero leak prove its worth? Time will tell!

That sounded less cheesy in my head.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
If you're posting in this thread, you should. Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, though, or will the GaeozHero leak prove its worth? Time will tell!

That sounded less cheesy in my head.
I mean, I really have to just leave it all to Sakurai/believing given my top three wants (with Lip coming in 4th).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
This is the exact opposite of the Ridley thread. Everyone is giving up hope here.

I can see what you guys mean, but I don't think an item confirmation really kills her.

Especially with Sakurai's unpredictable way of picking newcomers.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hmm. Apparently I was right with Lip's Stick being an item potentially still one of the returning items.

I don't wish to say any paining words of disappointment for you all after all we have gone through. The Ms.Tetris-leak sure raises some hope, if we can go with the route of Sakurai changing plans on revealing Lip to somewhere else than February. On the other hand, this might be the end if the leak's not true despite hitting plenty good marks (and apparently this is what they think of it in the Rumors Thread)

We should perhaps keep on waiting though and see what happens. It's not too long until summer, in which we'd be able to see the full roster and any references on Lip again to hint on her appearances in more than just being itemized form. We at least have a one more glowing baton that could aid us to keep on going.

So yeah, I'm not gonna entirely say goodbyes of any sort. We've got to stick *nopunintented* right to the end. You guys with me?

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ok, seriously you guys, as much as I would like you all to remain strong, I rather it not be because you are listening to a text leak that can easily be fabricated. :/

Really guys, we can still pull through.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ok, seriously you guys, as much as I would like you all to remain strong, I rather it not be because you are listening to a text leak that can easily be fabricated. :/

Really guys, we can still pull through.
My point exactly. It's best for us to just wait, but there's always the bigger chance that she was never considered at the first place, like before. Sad really, but yeah.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My point exactly. It's best for us to just wait, but there's always the bigger chance that she was never considered at the first place, like before. Sad really, but yeah.
What upsets me the most is that it's looking more and more like Pac-Man - a character who has nothing to do with Nintendo, has very little move set potential, who I basically can’t see being fun to play as at all, and who people only thought had even a vague chance in the first place because Namco-Bandai was co-developing (admit it, you Pac people would be singing a different tune without that tidbit) – is going to be in the game and playable, while Lip, a character who does have something to do with Nintendo and would showcase the company's rich and varied history brilliantly, has wonderful potential for a creative and entertaining move set (this thread is proof enough of that!), and would by all accounts be an absolute blast to play as while being a serious cutie to sweeten the deal, was never even considered.

When Sakurai explicitly said Namco-Bandai wouldn’t get any special consideration.

If that isn’t the definition of a stolen slot, I don’t know what is.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What upsets me the most is that it's looking more and more like Pac-Man - a character who has nothing to do with Nintendo, has very little move set potential, who I basically can’t see being fun to play as at all, and who people only thought had even a vague chance in the first place because Namco-Bandai was co-developing (admit it, you Pac people would be singing a different tune without that tidbit) – is going to be in the game and playable, while Lip, a character who does have something to do with Nintendo and would showcase the company's rich and varied history brilliantly, has wonderful potential for a creative and entertaining move set (this thread is proof enough of that!), and would by all accounts be an absolute blast to play as while being a serious cutie to sweeten the deal, was never even considered.

When Sakurai explicitly said Namco-Bandai wouldn’t get any special consideration.

If that isn’t the definition of a stolen slot, I don’t know what is.
Not trying to be pro-Pac-Man of all sudden but... really? As much as I support Lip, Pac-Man is lightyears far from a "stolen slot" when compared to her. ("Stolen slots"? What even are they?)

Being the recognized videogame character of all time next to Mario and also Míyamoto's fave VG character + being co-star in Mario Kart GP-games cements further him being very worthy.

And a lot here would kill for 4-player duke-out with most recognized VG mascots of all time.

But really, chill down.
I know it upsets you but you don't need to go so far as to state something like this. It's understandable if Smash would include Pac-Man for the wide majority of non-gamers alone, really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom