• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project] Smash Curriculum: The Ultimate Guide to Melee

Would you be interested in a ultimate guide to Melee?

• Total voters

Zantetsu

Smash Master
So, for a while now, I've been attempting to teach many casual players the ways of competitive Melee. As every competitive player knows, there is a lot to learn when it comes to playing Melee at a competitive level. With all that there is to teach, it's very difficult to figure out what to teach the pupil first, what to teach him last, and between all of that. Yes, we have many guides that cover a whole bunch of things, but the sad thing is, I feel that most of these guides are very confusing to a new player, which can make them lose their dedication. We need something that a complete scrub can understand, so their path to learning competitive Melee could be much easier.

So, I had 3 people interested in competitive Melee, and I was trying to find a way to teach them all equally so one player didn't know things over the other player. That's when I had the idea of a Smash Curriculum. What I was going to do was make something similar to a textbook, where there would be units, chapters, and lessons. I actually made a sample lesson titled "Attack Dissection" where I taught the players the knowledge behind attacks, such as: hitboxes, collision boxes, frames, hit frames, start-ups, cool-downs, and so on, all in about 1000 words. On top of that, I highlighted key terms and I also created a 10 question worksheet that covered the lesson. After I gave it to my 3 "students," they all told me how much easier it was to understand when I broke down all the terms to their definitions and explained their significance to competitive play.

Now, even though I was able to write 1 lesson, it took up a lot of my time trying to figure out how to explain things so a casual could understand it. Another issue I had was the fact that it was only me writing this, and I'm a human who doesn't know everything about this game and can make a lot of mistakes. So, this is where I'm going to reach out to the community:

Who is willing to form together to create a Smash Curriculum, the ultimate guide to Melee? There's so many ways to start this project, so I'm going to start by seeing the interest level from all of you, and to see what your ideas are.

tl;dr: Who wants to create the ultimate Melee guide to add popularity to the game and make it easier for casual gamers to enter the competitive scene?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
One thing I am completely against are the worksheets. Even the word itself invokes thoughts that are completely opposite of that of fun. If you're teaching new players, the one thing you can hook them on and ensure they stick with it is FUN. I suggest in game exercises, practice sessions, video watching time, or even verbally asking the questions. But please, no worksheets.

:phone:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
One thing I am completely against are the worksheets. Even the word itself invokes thoughts that are completely opposite of that of fun. If you're teaching new players, the one thing you can hook them on and ensure they stick with it is FUN. I suggest in game exercises, practice sessions, video watching time, or even verbally asking the questions. But please, no worksheets.

:phone:
Well obviously the worksheets wouldn't be mandatory, since there wouldn't be anyone to grade them and there are no consequences to not answering them right. I don't see why it would hurt for them to be optional.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Textbook style?
I thought it was going to be in video form.
Well, in order for any success, I think we need SOME videos because we can't build a guide based on theorycrafting.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'm going to suggest two main things:

1) This should be a Wiki-based project. Not necessarily publicly editable, but available for public scrutiny at all times, even during early stages. Making the entire guide should probably be done in an organized way.

2) It should be designed with a video format in mind. What I mean is this: an accompanying video could be the "main" guide, with all of the very important information, with the text version able to follow along with the video unit-by-unit and add extra details. I find that it's much easier to take in information if there are multiple options for how to take it in. Some people prefer (narrated) video, other people prefer reading, and some people like having both for reinforcement. An audio version would help, too, but I won't really go there. (edit: Wretched beat me to mentioning video before I could get done writing this.)

Some other comments:
It shouldn't be made as a forum post. It needs to be very accessible, which would require better layout than can be given in a forum.

Jargon needs to be explained well.

I believe there should be a condensed version. Some people are interested, but don't want to learn EVERYTHING right off the bat. It would mention most things, but limit details to the core game play. I know the idea is to transition from scrub to competitive, but there's a middle-ground to consider (which often will lead to becoming more serious later).

As for worksheets, I think that an interactive study portion is a good idea.. but not necessarily just "worksheets". It doesn't matter a whole lot, though, since it would just be optional.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
When I said textbook, I meant that I would use the unit, chapter, and lesson layout. I didn't mean for it to seem like it would be exactly like a textbook. I agree that videos should be incorporated, because that's one of the biggest ways to learn, but I still think that there should be a lot of text outside of the videos so players can really understand everything that's going on.

I do like the suggestions that are coming, though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Video would be 10 times more efficient than text. It conveys ideas more accurately, leaving less room for confusion, and a single video clip could exemplify what might be hundreds of characters in text. Trying to explain, for example, how to edge guard could be pages long just to cover a few options, but a 3 minute video could easily cover the same material. Text should be included in minimal quantities just to let people know what they are watching and how it is useful.

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm always eager to read up on Melee, be it players thoughts, game data, match up guides, and the like. If this was written it would have at least myself reading it from beginning to end.

If it's something on the forum you could use existing youtube clips to explain your point more clearly since it is very true that videos are a great way to learn. I think a combination of text and visuals is probably the best way.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I've thought about doing something similar. I love writing, so I'd love to contribute. I just haven't taken the time to think of a good order for the information.

I think a general understanding of the game mechanics is the first step. Followed by advanced techniques. Then character specific techniques.

I dunno. I'd really have to think it over. There's a LOT of information that could be written.

Jasou

Smash Ace
This is such an amazing idea. I am mentoring 3 students as well, and one of them is frustrated by not understanding much. I really want to see something like this go into action. I would offer to help, but I think I don't have as much experience as some people here.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Hey you know what would be useful for new players to see in videos is a live description of what's happening. Like, if I were to watch a video of SSF4 or Marvel I'd have no idea what was going on or what buttons or moves they were doing. So if you were demonstrating a shffl, annotate the times where you initiate the short hop, the fast fall, the attack (and which kind) and L-cancel. Might clear things up a bit.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i video guide similar to the game's how to play guide is in order.

Show techniques with the button inputs on screen, to show scrubs what you're actually doing.
Maybe have like Correct vs. Incorrect sections (like for edgeguarding: when opponent is in X position, here are you options, and here's what shouldn't be options)

Would take a loooong time to make though

Acryte

Smash Ace
Awesome guys, keep narrowing it down :) melee online would be a huge step for the community

Also if we can achieve melee online with minimal desynchs would it be feasible to make a plugin that uses both players recorded inputs to basically mock-play a match aka we could save online matches?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you can mod dolphin to accept recent builds of kaillera and a functioning rec directory, then you probably can

from what i hear, a lot of people can barely run 64, a 10yo game run on a simple emulator, without desynches every 10 minutes, so online melee may be limited by personal hardware rather than software

it is playable online right now, but you need a good machine, a good connection and not to live too far away from servers/the other person, if you can p2p

NNID
dansalvato
if you can mod dolphin to accept recent builds of kaillera and a functioning rec directory, then you probably can

from what i hear, a lot of people can barely run 64, a 10yo game run on a simple emulator, without desynches every 10 minutes, so online melee may be limited by personal hardware rather than software

it is playable online right now, but you need a good machine, a good connection and not to live too far away from servers/the other person, if you can p2p
Ahem: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320354

Anyway, I would be interested in helping out with this. I agree that it should be primarily video-based. Hey, maybe even in the future I could have interactive tutorials be a part of SSBM Online.

Anyway, we should come up with a solid group of people who are willing to contribute to write-ups, videos, and web design for the project if it's going to happen. Personally, I like the name: Melee University.

Melee University: Going Pro is a Short Hop Away

Awesome guys, keep narrowing it down :) melee online would be a huge step for the community

Also if we can achieve melee online with minimal desynchs would it be feasible to make a plugin that uses both players recorded inputs to basically mock-play a match aka we could save online matches?
Was this supposed to be in this thread or the SSBM Online thread? Anyway, yes, we plan on supporting replays in the future.

Mahie

Smash Lord
With the Melee TAS community growing bigger, it might be possible to use Dolphin + TAS to make a full, in depth, and HD guide.

Most of us learned with Wak's AHTP, and it remains the best way to begin with up to this day.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I was actually planning on making a video that teaches lets say like....Marth metagame. How to throw them, how to take away options, edgeguards, mindgames, spacing tricks, How to DI certain attacks like Falcon's Uair. How to NOT DI against certain attacks. THe ultimate video. I would def love to help somehow with this project.

MM Distortion

Smash Apprentice
this sounds like a great idea that would definitely help more causal players get into the competitive scene if they want to.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I think a concept map would be a really good idea for fleshing out sections and ideas and the order of information and such. The centre would have Melee and then things would branch off like Offence > edguarding > ledge invincibilty; just as an example. Or Neutral game > Spacing > dash dancing. Yeah. That's a really good way to organize the information.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good. But we REALLY need to focus on organizing everything first. Who writes what, what needs to be in it, etc. If we don't organise this well, it will all go to hell very quick :c

MM Distortion

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good. But we REALLY need to focus on organizing everything first. Who writes what, what needs to be in it, etc. If we don't organise this well, it will all go to hell very quick :c
i agree with avalancer, this needs to be well organized and thought out if it's going to be done right.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I don't know if you guys realize that this went to hell a long time ago. This thread is pretty old, it just happened to be bumped by somebody and it became active again.

I was interested in this project at the time when I had all the time in the world. Now, I just graduated high school and I have things like apartment hunting, a job to maintain, and preparing for college. All of my free time will be used by training with my crew for FC so I obviously don't have time for this.

If anybody would like to revive this project, be my guest. I would rather this be done than rest on my hands. Mods, feel free to close this thread as well.

NNID
dansalvato
If anybody would like to revive this project, be my guest. I would rather this be done than rest on my hands. Mods, feel free to close this thread as well.
Didn't realize this thread was a bump, but if you're inviting someone to take over the project, then closing the thread would be counter-productive, haha.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
We could also just start with a basic version, make a good list of contents, and copypasta all the guides straight off smashboards (with some refinements here and there). Good idea, 'aye?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Didn't realize this thread was a bump, but if you're inviting someone to take over the project, then closing the thread would be counter-productive, haha.
I guess that makes sense. The thread should be closed when you all find some sort of leader or something so you can have your own thread with your own OP full of information.

NNID
dansalvato
I'm starting to put together the resources needed to kick this off. If anyone is definitely interested in helping out with the writing and/or organization, PM me and help me get started.

Once we get the basic organization out of the way, I'll create a separate topic with open contribution invitations and more information.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
It would be great if the example video clips were shot in Dolphin. Imagine that quality!

E: One thing, it would be good to start with the very basics, like to goal of the game (kill your opponent by pushing them outside the space)
and not go into heavy technical detail from the very beginning.

Second thing (this is going to sound stupid), if a video tutorial was made it should have "neutral", simple, easy-going, backroundish, ambient music instead of heavy low-frequency bass-filled junk to support the technical explanation.

E2:

Another idea, whenever the potential tutorial video would go into techniques there should be a small shot of the controller and the hands as the player performs the techniques.

NNID
dansalvato
No need for a capture device, I can record Dolphin at full speed. I'd say we mostly need people for organizing the huge list of techniques and strategies to go over. The most important part of the project, in my opinion, is having things very neatly sectioned so everything becomes clear and the user can progress at a steady level.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
This is a great idea, though multiple adaptations of the guide should be implemented. Because I know many people who are just too "gungho" and wont sit and actually dedicate time to reading.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
order of teaching should be: Execution -> Tactics -> Strategy

I think lots of people get stuck on tactics and never really learn the system. People have made good posts/threads about strategy, but it seems mostly ignored by the community. Videos might help with that.

As for execution and tactics, I think AHTP and tournament videos do just fine.

Top Bottom