• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
no way to give brawl nair the range and utility of n64 nair.
think about utility more than aesthetics please. this IS a competitive game, you know.
I was thinking about utility. If I recall correctly, his N64 Nair is just him sticking his foot out, which didn't look to me like it went out much farther than his body. I guess I'm mistaken, but please don't mistake my comment for only thinking about aesthetics. It's just hard to tell from videos that his foot on the new one stuck out any farther than his limbs on the Brawl one, which is why I thought you'd be able to give them the same utility but keep the newer animation.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Melee Falco is infinitely more technical than Brawl Falco (same with Fox). His playstyle is significantly more fitting for the project's goal.

And yes, it caters to the Melee fans.

phurgawtin

Smash Apprentice
I have a question regarding the moveset changes you guys have made to fox, falco, kirby etc. Did you implement these changes to cater to the hardcore melee fans? Or are they just some much needed revamps for a better metagame(to emulate melee)

"Project Goal:

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

A fast-paced game
with flowing, organic movement
where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding due to ledge techs.
Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game."

Source: http://projectm.dantarion.com/about.php

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Will you guys let diddy do his dash attack off the ledge like DK can? I only ask because that is a canon piece of DKC and DKC2 that you could jump out of cartwheel in the air. Though im sure you guys kknow consider you made DK do it. But i'm just wondering if you guys will extend that to Diddy. No one plays Diddy on streams BTW, tis depressing.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Its fox or falco. Its basically any aerial to shine shield pressure. Don't mistaken it only for dair to shine with Falco.
Oh, well I do that **** all the time, I have a decent falco, he's been my secondary since melee

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
"Project Goal:

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

A fast-paced game
with flowing, organic movement
where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding due to ledge techs.
Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game."

Source: http://projectm.dantarion.com/about.php
Poetry. ^^^

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Will you guys let diddy do his dash attack off the ledge like DK can? I only ask because that is a canon piece of DKC and DKC2 that you could jump out of cartwheel in the air. Though im sure you guys kknow consider you made DK do it. But i'm just wondering if you guys will extend that to Diddy. No one plays Diddy on streams BTW, tis depressing.
Yes, although the coding isn't done for Diddy yet.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I'm sure that Diddy is going to be a character people will hate more than sheik.

:phone:

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I'm sure that Diddy is going to be a character people will hate more than sheik.

:phone:
I feel like Diddy has the most secure high tier position amongst all the Brawl Newcomers in their transition to a melee environment. He has SO many options on stage. However, his recovery really does suck. It has the predictable nature of Fox and Falco's up-b's and can't ride walls iirc. Which is good, since he can perform basically any playstyle on stage.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
side B adds a bit of unpredictablility/mix-ups to his recovery, but not much. Rocket barrels are pretty bad. The only good thing about the barrels is they fly off your back if you get hit.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Also, not sure if I am too late to mention this, but will the P:M team be taking measures to make the game more rewarding to offense in light of that "Melee's flawed perspective" or whatever topic. I am not sure if this is truly an issue, but I think some minor changes would help push P:M into a more offensive direction. Especially if a new wave of defensive brawl players flood the community.

Here are a few: (albeit perhaps radical suggestions)

I think the simpliest solution would be to increase shieldstun caused by all attacks in the game. I'm not suggesting every character in the game should have shield pressure options, but if shielding were less safe the game would certainly be less defensive almost immediately.

A second solution that is less blatant (or maybe more blatant) would be adjustments to teching. However, I'm not sure if any of this could ever be coded since I do not know much on the subject.

Possibility 1: In fighting games like MvC3, some attacks create untechable knockdowns. Is this possible to code? Would it be broken if certain attacks allowed guaranteed follow ups? I'm sure to any who read this suggestion would figure that it would be too unfair if certain combos couldn't be escaped, however, it really all depends on what kinds of moves this was applied to. For instance, it could simply be given to attacks with upward trajectories in order to prevent CCing and CC teching at high percents.

Possibility 2: Increase tech fail window. Players who miss a tech have no opportunity to tech until they touch the ground. I doubt this would have any affect though.

Possibility 3: Can't input tech before an attack and a certain amount of frames during tumble state must go by before a character can tech. I feel as though this would be a more plausible version of the first teching suggestion. However, this would make ledge teching impossible. Then again, recovering should be a player's worst case scenario.

Possibility 4: Players who miss techs should have NO invincibility on roll get up and standing get up. Might be a bit unecessary due to the already existing predictability.

I'm mostly just trying to make conversation, I doubt any of these suggestions would even be cared for. nonetheless, I think it would be cool if offense was significantly more rewarded.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
footstool falls are the only things untechable as far as i know, therefore it could be possible to add that. Not saying it should be added, just it is possible.

Also just a very tiny suggestion to snake. Change his Upsmash so the mortar goes i dunno about twice the height on a uncharged mortor. This way you may be able to implement upsmash into his mine traps, set-ups mindgames whathave you. As it stands snakes Upsmash is only useful when its charged, otherwise it hits the ground way before you can do anything with it

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Melee's release anniversary is in less than a week. It would be cool if we could see a new blogpost then...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think the simpliest solution would be to increase shieldstun caused by all attacks in the game. I'm not suggesting every character in the game should have shield pressure options, but if shielding were less safe the game would certainly be less defensive almost immediately.
A decent amount of attacks in the game have higher damage (thus more damage) than they did in Melee, because they were bad moves on bad characters.

Same with landing lag for a decent chunk of aerials.
This is the Project M thread, in case you forgot.
Meaning: Footstools weren't techable in Brawl, but are in P:M.

Cero

Smash Lord
Dantarion left the P:M scene a while ago...

But what if we set up a donation paypal thing to go towards paying Dant to help with the project again?

If everyone pitched in like $10, then I think Dant's pay would be pretty substantial.

Apparently, he was the only one capable of creating a clone engine and stage/music slot expansion codes. I was really hyped when I heard he was working on those things.

And then I was super bummed out when I heard that he left and he didn't finish. (I can't remember if he finished the expansion codes, though.)

Who here would be willing to chip in a few bucks for a working clone engine?

And before anyone asks. I would... But I'm currently jobless and broke, lol.
Just making a suggestion. :)

curry9186

Smash Journeyman

But what if we set up a donation paypal thing to go towards paying Dant to help with the project again?

If everyone pitched in like $10, then I think Dant's pay would be pretty substantial.

Apparently, he was the only one capable of creating a clone engine and stage/music slot expansion codes. I was really hyped when I heard he was working on those things.

And then I was super bummed out when I heard that he left and he didn't finish. (I can't remember if he finished the expansion codes, though.)

As tempting as it would be to try and get Dantarion to work on this again, I believe he left because he lost interest. You'd need to get him interested again.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061

Why did he leave? O.O The obvious lack of pay?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
You are correct, I left and didn't finish things because of lack of interest, but also, real life came into play.
1. The desktop computer, USBGecko, Wii, etc, I used are in California. I am in florida
2. The laptop I originally had broke MONTHS ago.
3. The laptop I was using after that is in California, and isn't mine to freely bring to Florida anymore.
4. I am now busy and much of my day consists of working, and babysitting.
5. My free time I do have for coding is split between my portfolio projects (Mostly AI demos) and work on Street Fighter 4 engine tools, such as Ono!, my moveset editior for AE, and a few in progress tools to help people make custom skins.

While I am supposed to be getting a box sent over, It would be a major hassle to say "hey, can you check that box my wii is in to make sure I have all the cables for the wii, the usbgecko, an SD card, etc, etc"

Right now I don't even have cable. TV or internet for that matter. I have to get online by tethering my phone.
I have a lot going on and while I would like to get back into Wii stuff, not having the stuff with me prevents me from doing so, and even if I did have the stuff, I am not sure how much time I would put into it. I dont even know how much progress has been made since I stopped.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I actually second this. It's faithful, useful, and M Diddy's recovery sucks now anyway.

And Diddy's UpB doesn't explode on contact with walls anymore, just for the record.
unfortunately, I still dont think it's that good, sorry.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
wow did any body else feel slightly hyed just to see a new post from dantarion. I read his comment like it was gold. Hope your real life gets beter man.

Cero

Smash Lord
You are correct, I left and didn't finish things because of lack of interest, but also, real life came into play.
1. The desktop computer, USBGecko, Wii, etc, I used are in California. I am in florida
2. The laptop I originally had broke MONTHS ago.
3. The laptop I was using after that is in California, and isn't mine to freely bring to Florida anymore.
4. I am now busy and much of my day consists of working, and babysitting.
5. My free time I do have for coding is split between my portfolio projects (Mostly AI demos) and work on Street Fighter 4 engine tools, such as Ono!, my moveset editior for AE, and a few in progress tools to help people make custom skins.

While I am supposed to be getting a box sent over, It would be a major hassle to say "hey, can you check that box my wii is in to make sure I have all the cables for the wii, the usbgecko, an SD card, etc, etc"

Right now I don't even have cable. TV or internet for that matter. I have to get online by tethering my phone.
I have a lot going on and while I would like to get back into Wii stuff, not having the stuff with me prevents me from doing so, and even if I did have the stuff, I am not sure how much time I would put into it. I dont even know how much progress has been made since I stopped.
I understand. Thanks for all the work you've done already. And I hope you can join the project again someday.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I think Magus is the natural heir to the wizard throne

EDIT: also, as a pre-warning, new wii's that are coming out are not backwards compatible. This makes them pretty well useless for smash.

Melee is a no go obviously, and Project M everyone will be using gc controllers for the most part. Even smash 64 is TERRIBLE with classic controllers.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU BUY A NEW WII

currently the wii's with super mario bros wii do not have backwards capability.

If you havn't invested in a wii yet, now is the time to grab one with backwards capability. (for project M obviously)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Not me. I won't be streaming until the 28th or so, going home 2maro for Thanksgiving break =[[

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If you're unlucky and get a non-backwards wii. You can just grab yourself a Classic Controller that mimics a GC Controller.

i cant find it but i know i saw it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom