• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikana

Smash Champion
http://www.1up.com/news/next-super-smash-bros-game-called-universe

According to a translation by Zelda Informer (via Super Smash Bros. World), the document alludes to more third-party support (presumably meaning more third-party characters like Snake and Sonic), the removal of tripping (also known as Prat Falling), and increasing the movement speed of Samus in light of how she handles in Other M.
I doubt it'll still live up to Melee. If they're smart they'll give the Melee techs but have the options to turn it "off" through a menu. This way it will satisfy both worlds.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
That really says nothing. For all we know it could be a clone of Brawl minus the tripping and with faster Samus, based on that information.

Revven

FrankerZ
Also, I would take that "document" with a grain of salt. The only possible thing you could believe from it is the subtitle of the game, being Universe.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And it would be the first time they use the same title across seas. Japan always has a different title.

Not to mention the font used on the game "title" is the same one used in Brawl, which hasn't been done before.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yeah I highly doubt Smash 4 is anything more than a thought at this point. They just delayed Kid Icarus, so obviously Sakurai and team have their hands full at the moment.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That document probably isn't real and Sakurai already said that he wouldn't make a Smash game like Melee anymore and he has no reason too because of the way all the reviewers were **** sucking over Brawl.

Reviewers have welcomed the simplistic controls,[2][18][56] but its "hyper-responsiveness", with the characters easily dashing and precise movements being difficult to perform, was expressed as a serious flaw of the game by GameSpot.[54] N-Europe questioned whether the gameplay is "too Frantic?", even though they enjoyed the variety of modes on offer.[58] Similarly, Nintendo Spin's Clark Nielsen stated that "Melee was too fast for its own good", and "skill was more about just being able to wrap your head around what was happening as opposed to really getting into the combat".[59] In regards to the pace of the game, Edge commented that it even made gameplay features such as "blocking" redundant, as the player is not given enough time to react to an attack.
GameSpot editor Lark Anderson noted that Brawl's "simple controls and gameplay make it remarkably accessible to beginners, yet still appealing to veterans... Game Informer highlighted Brawl's "finely tuned balance, core fighting mechanics, and local multiplayer modes".[104] Edge concluded that, while the Smash Bros. games have often been "derided as button-mashing", Brawl features "one of the most enduringly innovative and deep systems of any fighter".[105]
Both disgusting quotes from Wikipedia.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
That document probably isn't real and Sakurai already said that he wouldn't make a Smash game like Melee anymore and he has no reason too because of the way all the reviewers were **** sucking over Brawl.

Both disgusting quotes from Wikipedia.
I had no idea people thought that, the first time I heard stuff like that was in an interview with Sakurai last year.

Ecks

Smash Lord
@Mr. Jackpot. Oh god those quotes were awful. That part about balance and that part about veterans liking it is just awful.

Anyway, I doubt that pic is real. It may as well be fact that Brawl 2 will be better, if only because of prettier visuals and more content. Then again, it won't have Brawl's saving grace: Hacks. Not that I even care anymore, I don't think I'll be picking up a WiiU for anything that's not Zelda.

:phone:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Again, you guys are jumping to the impossibly huge conclusion that "the removal of tripping" = "Melee-style gameplay". There are an infinite number of directions that the SSB series could go in, and with or without tripping, they're most likely unlike any Smash game that's come before.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Just a slight concern.

It seems that on one hand, the project is committed to keeping the best characters the same, while on the other hand removing some things that seem to deserve removing. This can lead to some difficult cases.

Example: Sheik. From what I read on smashmods, the only difference between Melee sheik and Project:M is a nerfed Dthrow. One of the reasons Sheik was such a good character was her chaingrab on many if not most characters. This was largely considered...lame. However removing it would make her "not as good" against MANY characters. This is very important because although sheik has always been good, she hasn't won anything recently in Melee because of tough matchups vs the spacies and ICs, as well as a HORRIFIC matchup (for a high tier) vs jiggs. Taking away her chaingrab will worsen MANY of her matchups, and make her honestly not all that great of a character.

Although the idea of removing her chaingrab is probably good for the game, I don't think it is conceptually fair to only nerf her. She was not THAT good, people learned to fight her and she hasn't won anything serious in awhile.

I realize I am just now getting involved in this project, so perhaps this has all been discussed. However, it seems like sheik is being done wrong and deserves a small but relevant buff if her chaingrab is going to be removed.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Dthrow isn't a nerf, it's just the PAL version, it'd be nice if we had PAL Fox usmash too you know.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Dthrow isn't a nerf, it's just the PAL version, it'd be nice if we had PAL Fox usmash too you know.
Hm. Some things in PAL are unneeded. Ganon's dair and fair got nerfed but we don't just say its beause of the PAL version.

Other stuff:

Can we get Melee sounds and especially Melee announcers back? The 321 GO guy? So much better in Melee. Also, C. Falcon doesn't sound nearly as good in Brawl/P:M. Every one of his moves sounds like someone whacking a moist bushel of wheat. Do not want.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We aren't including sound effects because they require more modding than just the File Patch code.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
You would need to either set up riivolution or usb load. You can get help on that on the irc.

Peef, Monk and I are going to the big house and will be bringing project m. You'll get a chance to play there. :D

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You would need to either set up riivolution or usb load. You can get help on that on the irc.

Peef, Monk and I are going to the big house and will be bringing project m. You'll get a chance to play there. :D
Yeah, I might not be able to go though. Its a 9 hour drive and such.

That is awesome that homebrew isn't needed though. Makes it so much more accessible.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
D: you should try to somehow. :< We're taking the amtrak there. lol
Of course I'm trying to. I want to stream the Melee tourney. Its just not practical. Unlikely really. Especially since I just found out today that I have to go to Indy the weekend before for a school trip on my sign language class.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Saw some posting back on the last page and just thought I'd clear it up.

Kuiko is a victoria smasher and liverymen is too. If there's a "liverspecks" playing Kuriko in project: M matches, then it's definitely the same guy because he's into project M a whole lot.

humble

Smash Ace
So I have a question; a few pages back, I asked about whether you guys designed characters with specific playstyles in mind, or if they developed organically. Shanus replied that yes, you sometimes do develop with a playstyle in mind. Many of your characters, such as Lucaryu, Wario, Charizard, etc, have very focused, clear playstyles that are easy to understand, and their movesets work together very well to facilitate that and present a unified character. However, I wanted to ask, what about a character like Lucas? He seems like he has a very scattered moveset, not a particularly clear playstyle, or function. It seems to me that your best successes are when you have characters with a focused moveset and playstyle- Am I incorrect here, and just not understanding the design for him? What do you guys think?

:phone:

nube

Smash Apprentice
The trajectory on Lucario's side throw (forgot if it was the Bthrow or Fthrow, maybe it was both) looked really nasty from what i remember. Is that the original trajectory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom