• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The trick to balancing him is to make sure that he can take advantage of those attributes without abusing them, so he doesn't overshadow all the characters who have fewer or none of those things.
But then he's a jack of all trades and a master of none. Better to take away one of his good attributes like his jumps or aerial dominance and make him more of a grounded swordsman who uses glide more to survive or some other trait.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Not crazy on the killing of the distance idea but then again its only fair.
you've probably heard this before but, recoveries should be one of the last things to buff on a character. superior recoveries can really make the edge guarding game really stale, and that's a no no for Melee.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
We have a plan, but we will NOT release our internal deadlines to you as they are in no way strictly enforced.
Thank you, I wasn't asking for dates, just for a clarification about what we are waiting for.

I assume that the patch won't include all characters.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
you've probably heard this before but, recoveries should be one of the last things to buff on a character. superior recoveries can really make the edge guarding game really stale, and that's a no no for Melee.
agreed thats why I said it makes it fair that it was toned down.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Honestly, I'm just ridiculously relieved that the idiotic stage rebound from hitting it with PKT2 is gone. That was the dumbest change ever and was arguably what made Ness and Lucas' recoveries awful in Brawl (more so the former because of no Zap Jump or PSI Magnet slow fall).

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
But then he's a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Well, it works for Mario. We just had this discussion about how he's now able to keep up with the spacies and whatnot. Imagine if Mario had more jumps, faster attacks, and longer range on them. He (MK) could still be a very viable yet completely balanced character, and it would work without having to sacrifice any of his character design quirks. It just takes a fine touch so he doesn't go over the line in either direction. This is what we're entrusting the PMBR to do.

This is assuming that he doesn't get a(nother) unique system given to him, like his old double tipper thing.

Zef

Smash Ace
since gimpys bringing the genesis 2 roster to his tournament or whatever im gonna assume thats a patch test build and then be depressed when it isnt when the patch comes out dec 21st 2012

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
I think it would be interesting if Mario's Down tilted f-smash knocked players horizontally like his new back air, or at a downward angle. Thoughts?: O

crush

Smash Master
I think it would be interesting if Mario's Down tilted f-smash knocked players horizontally like his new back air, or at a downward angle. Thoughts?: O
I think it should pop people up in the air just a little bit above Mario. That way he can do down angled f smash > Nair to cape (like Nair to **** but a bit cooler)

:phone:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
But then he's a jack of all trades and a master of none.
He's certainly master of a few. And he's not necessarily a jack of all.
He lacks a projectile, and opponents could take advantage of that. If he keeps his transcendent sword, he'd be unable to clank projectiles and would be forced into shielding or dodging, or just getting hit, halting his onslaught and giving opponents an opening to go on offense. A good balance for a character so fast and good at follow-ups, against whom punishing or just escaping combos would usually be unlikely.
He also, in general, lacks knockback in vBrawl, something which could be implemented (except effectively) in Pro:M. He's also not a master of gimping. Thus, he'd have to rely on edgeguarding and comboing opponents to very high percents to get kills.
Plus, he's pretty light.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
If he keeps his transcendent sword, he'd be unable to clank projectiles and would be forced into shielding or dodging, or just getting hit, halting his onslaught and giving opponents an opening to go on offense. A good balance for a character so fast and good at follow-ups, against whom punishing or just escaping combos would usually be unlikely.

I like the idea of MK being high risk, high reward. Unlike now where it's little risk, high reward. :mad:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
At the very least, if he keeps Nado for some godforsaken reason, make it transcendent so it can be beaten by projectiles.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MK is a jack of almost every trade, and a master of all of them.

Which is probably why he's getting an overhaul.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Just because Meta Knight was god-like in Brawl doesn't mean he will be in P:M. There are different physics and options.

There should probably be some testing. Such as minor changes like making Nado transcendent, no glide after Shuttle Loop and a loss of 1 or 2 midair jumps (and probably some other small changes.) Then if that doesn't work well keep going from there.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
They will never get IC's desyncs right IMO

As far as I can tell there are no competent IC players on the build team, much less one of the probably 5 or 6 who have deep knowledge of how the intricate IC desyncs work in melee (I don't mean roll>blizzard -__-)

I do like this project, and I am willing to be that tester for you folks if you wish.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion

As far as I can tell there are no competent IC players on the build team, much less one of the probably 5 or 6 who have deep knowledge of how the intricate IC desyncs work in melee (I don't mean roll>blizzard -__-)
See, I think it's kinda insulting to suggest a straight-up coding problem that NO ONE knows how to fix yet is due to the team lacking special, super-secret knowledge that only a IC master can possibly impart.

If u know stuff you should share it with the team.

jalued

Smash Lord
Just because Meta Knight was god-like in Brawl doesn't mean he will be in P:M. There are different physics and options.

There should probably be some testing. Such as minor changes like making Nado transcendent, no glide after Shuttle Loop and a loss of 1 or 2 midair jumps (and probably some other small changes.) Then if that doesn't work well keep going from there.
i thought his main problem was how spammable his upair is, maybe a new upAir is called for...

shanus

Smash Hero

I do like this project, and I am willing to be that tester for you folks if you wish.
fly aminita would like to say hi.

JOE!

Smash Hero

he already had no glide after SL in PM

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

It's not only about "deep knowledge". Ice Climber changes involve the actual AI of the CPU climber, which is straight up different between Melee and Brawl and will most likely never be exactly the same as it was in Melee.

jalued

Smash Lord
It's not only about "deep knowledge". Ice Climber changes involve the actual AI of the CPU climber, which is straight up different between Melee and Brawl and will most likely never be exactly the same as it was in Melee.
true, but lets be blunt here. The AI in melee needed alot of improvement, and I'm sure that as long as nana can be controlled the same way as melee, it will only be a benefit that she is slightly smarter.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
PEEF!, we have Fly Amanita, a melee ICs player in the PMBR, as shanus already said. If you want to apply to the PMBR, you can apply here.
Oh that's sweet I didn't know he was involved. Well then you'll be just fine.

I wasn't making an insult, I looked at the people on the project team and knew it would take some serious work to get it right. Fly ***** so it's gonna be great.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I like the idea of MK being high risk, high reward. Unlike now where it's little risk, high reward. :mad:
Actually, I was talking more like a high skill/high reward character, like Lucaryu. You'd have to be able to keep on the offensive, keep in short range, and keep combos going until they're finally damaged enough for the kill.

One thing that could help prevent the planking problem is a significant reduction in range. With a shorter Uair, that also doesn't hit so far to the sides, opponents should be better able break through it and punish MK for the generally poor choice of jumping off-stage.
This change would be good in general, since with attacks so quick he virtually has a persistent barrier of hitboxes surrounding him, making the barrier thinner would allow more characters a way through. Especially if it's transcendent, then opponents' hitboxes wouldn't have to be quite as disjointed in order to trade, or solely give, hits.

Also, would it be possible, desirable, and effective to implement a universal, in-game limit on how many times anyone can grab the ledge before touching the ground (sorta like the tether limit)?

King Luigi 128

Smash Cadet
Also, would it be possible, desirable, and effective to implement a universal, in-game limit on
how many times anyone can grab the ledge before touching the ground (sorta like the tether limit)?
Desirable? Probably not.
Effective? ...not sure.
Possible? Definitely.

Balanced Brawl has had a ledge-grab limit built-in (among other things) for a while now.
So if you wanna know more you could always ask them about it.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
I think it would be more effective to shorten the invincibility frames. The whole guarding the edge thing just by landing on it is a bit ridiculous, to me.

It would encourage players to become more engaging in combat. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom