• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MK can't be shown yet. He will likely be getting an overhaul in the future. You can use him if you want but he's dumb and I definitely won't record any matches with him.
Laaaaaaaaame

I don't honestly know what the plan is for him yet, but I know he can still be played very Brawly and it's just as dumb. Good luck trying to dislodge a planking MK with Fox or Falco once he has the stock lead. I'd rather not have to resort to making special rules to prevent MK dumbness like the BBR did.
Or not?

I have some ideas for MK. When I'm over there, I'll explain it in more detail. Maybe I can help fix him up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
when M2K tried using metaknight in PM at my house he ragequit after ~10 seconds

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
All of his specials were changed in some way. It's kind of irrelevant now though since he's getting an overhaul.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I dunno if MK being a little like brawl is too bad actually. Even though I think all the character overhauls so far have been great, I don't expect EVERY brawl character to be that different, especially not guys like Olimar or Ivysaur. If the definition of success is overhauling every new character, then project: m will probably not succeed to those levels and we shouldnt get our hopes up too much.

And how to you really make MK interesting? Is there a way?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Diddy is 90% Brawl Diddy if that makes you feels better. Some characters need to be overhauled to fit in the Melee environment, and some don't (the vast minority though).

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Diddy is 90% Brawl Diddy if that makes you feels better. Some characters need to be overhauled to fit in the Melee environment, and some don't (the vast minority though).
Gotcha. I'm not against overhauls mind you, just don't want the team to spend the next few years redoing every character, time i can't spend playing the game. Call me selfish if u must. :demon:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
uh cuz it felt different from the MK he's used to and didn't want to mess it up.

ummm.... ok.... I'm not even touch that subject with a 10 foot pole j/k.

lol but regardless I believe the dev team will do something great with MK but not make him so unbelievable like in vbrawl. But still make him good. The question is how do you do it? I think the primary functions of what make him soo good is the amount of jumps which could be decreased and he would still be good. Maybe decrease it to like 4 jumps but give more mobility like a hybrid on jumps between Kirby and Jigglypuff? Idk I'm just throwing out ideas.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
ummm.... ok.... I'm not even touch that subject with a 10 foot pole j/k.

lol but regardless I believe the dev team will do something great with MK but not make him so unbelievable like in vbrawl. But still make him good. The question is how do you do it? I think the primary functions of what make him soo good is the amount of jumps which could be decreased and he would still be good. Maybe decrease it to like 4 jumps but give more mobility like a hybrid on jumps between Kirby and Jigglypuff? Idk I'm just throwing out ideas.
lol you clearly don't play brawl a lot. MK's jumps are barely on the radar when it comes to silly broken ****.

From what I've seen the dev team have done an ok job with toning him down anyways, so don't worry about that.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
lol you clearly don't play brawl a lot. MK's jumps are barely on the radar when it comes to silly broken ****.
Actually I did play brawl quite a bit. Until I learned of B+ then I just plain stopped playing vbrawl. (was more fun Imo) I know that theres other stuff other than his jumps but its still a primary thing. The only reason I don't post about the other stuff is because I figured most people already know majority about it.

anywho lets drop it and get back on topic about Meta..

From what I've seen the dev team have done an ok job with toning him down anyways, so don't worry about that.
agreed.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Wasn't 90% of the reason MK thrived in brawl was because of the crap physics? I think its a bit farfetched to think that MK would own hard in a melee enviroment just because he was above all in brawl. They are two completely different games. Characters in melee physics have more variables and options making many different mixtures a viable character. In Brawl, shallow statistic advantages decide how good a character is because there are so much less options. Though this may be too simply put, in brawl, the fastest and campiest characters beat out all the other ones.

I'm not suggesting MK wouldn't need change when transferred to a melee enviroment. All i am saying is that we can't compare apples and oranges.

humble

Smash Ace
"Guys, the dev team is making a change in the game they're developing! Quick, tell them how to do their jobs! They obviously don't know how to balance or improve characters, so it's your rightful duty to step in and take charge. They may not have asked for your 'help' but by god they're going to get it anyway."

:phone:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I can't wait to see how Meta Knight ultimately works out in Project: M, whatever the team decides. MK just seems like a character that is high tier at the very core of his design, especially when competing along the rules of Smash, so I can't imagine he'll ever not be great. But I expect it to be very entertaining to finally see him dominating the way he should, by slicing opponents to shreds, rather than through spamming and camping… spamping.

Stevo

Smash Champion
since whornado will obviosly not be made as good as brawl, MK currently has 4 B-moves that help him recover like an up-b (although the new down-b is more useful as a KO move now, assuming they keep it)
inb4 one of his 4 up-b's gets changed into something completely different.
does MK have any special moves in kirby games? (I know nothing about kirby games except that dream land that came out for gameboy)

I am also dissapointed that spam and complaints get responses from the PMBR, but not good ideas like Mario being able to jump after a short-hop up-air....
I seriously think that is a great idea lol. How does everyone not see it? Nobody likes Mario?

metroid1117

Smash Master
I am also dissapointed that spam and complaints get responses from the PMBR, but not good ideas like Mario being able to jump after a short-hop up-air....
I seriously think that is a great idea lol. How does everyone not see it? Nobody likes Mario?
I think it's more because people think Mario is fine in terms of balance; he might not be in the same tier as the spacies, but it seems that most people think that he can at least keep up with them. Tweaking a character that seems to be fine doesn't have as high priority (or interest) as remodeling a character.

Regarding your idea though, I think it would be a cool thing, but how would they do it - change the IASA frames on UAir, or increase his short-hop height? Increasing his short-hop height would seem to be too radical of a change, and increasing the IASA frames on his UAir might make it unreasonably fast. What's the frame data for Melee Mario?

Stevo

Smash Champion
the animation for up-air is very close to being quick enough to end before Mario lands from a short hop.

I would not want to change his short hop height of course, I believe all it would take is making his up-air slightly faster, which I dont think would break anything.

I think it is the PERFECT way to give Mario a very small buff without changing anything about his character. it also adds some more bonus technical depth to Mario, which is not a bad thing. It is something you could learn to incorporate into your game, such as shine grab with spacies, but it would of course not be necessary to use.

I am not good with frame data stuff, but I like to think I am pretty good with the feel of things in melee, and I think this would feel right.

cmart

Smash Lord
To be honest, Mario feels really good right now and we're not too interested in changing him. If we do decide he needs a buff, we might look into your idea since it does sound appealing.

Stevo

Smash Champion
To be honest, Mario feels really good right now and we're not too interested in changing him. If we do decide he needs a buff, we might look into your idea since it does sound appealing.
alright. I guess a response was all I wanted. I feel like buff is a strong word for it.

more like, beneficial adjustment lol.

I always liked how Mario played in melee, he just was not competetive enough is all.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Sorry I'm going to be a pain-in-tha-*** again and propose this, note that I'm also come off as a jerk, I apologize for this for it is not my intention:

It would be nice if the PMBR started planning the next patch release, meaning selecting the characters to finish and to be included in the release, then focusing mainly on these characters + the bugs. I say this because SB said that they have no idea when they are going to release the patch. Obviously it's going to take a LONG time before all the characters are finished but it's not necessary for the patch to have ALL the characters is it (not to mention things like melee-tethers that might be never possible)?

After the demo was released it was my (and many other's) understanding that a "patch" would be to be released shortly afterwards, but then became breakthrough after breakthrough and apparently the team started focusing on the final product instead of the patch, now no one has no idea when the patch is going to come out and what is it gonna be like.

It would be nice to know at least what are we waiting for exactly and what characters is it going to include.

I am sorry for posting this but I think my questions are reasonable, please correct me if I am wrong with anything I've stated

metroid1117

Smash Master
Just before we get too off-topic (even though the discussion is pretty much closed now), Mario has 32 frames of air time from a short-hop and his UAir has IASA frames on frame 30, so you have 2 frames to jump out of it. For comparison, Mario's BAir ends on frame 28 (no IASA frames).

(Frame data taken from the Mario forums and SDM's frame data.)

shanus

Smash Hero
I am sorry for posting this but I think my questions are reasonable, please correct me if I am wrong with anything I've stated
We have a plan, but we will NOT release our internal deadlines to you as they are in no way strictly enforced.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
lucas demo: *

edit: Lucas just became mad technical.

edit#2: I really don't think he needs to fall slower during up-b or a longer lasting pkt1. i really don't. i understand what you were trying to do with those changes, but they just seem like bad ideas. Lucas in no way needed help "protecting himself" or "delaying recovery". If u ask me, i'd think your confusing him with Ness. Every thing else looked good tho.

edit#3: no problem *removed

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yeah, we'd appreciate you not showing that. Wasn't supposed to be uploaded to the public eye, considering most of PMBR hasn't even glanced over that video yet.

Also, keep in mind that the contents of the video are still very subject to change. We haven't made a Lucas video public for a reason.

Edit: And thanks. :alakadoof:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i hope you guys consider my feedback tho. even with his pkt2 distance cut in half, and without those 2 buffs, his recovery would still be considered decent.

also a little more KB on pkt2 wouldn't hurt. definitely no K.O power tho

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I can't wait to see how Meta Knight ultimately works out in Project: M, whatever the team decides. MK just seems like a character that is high tier at the very core of his design, especially when competing along the rules of Smash, so I can't imagine he'll ever not be great. But I expect it to be very entertaining to finally see him dominating the way he should, by slicing opponents to shreds, rather than through spamming and camping… spamping.
That's what made him top tier in Brawl, in my opinion. He had basically everything that makes a character good: multiple jumps, a sword, multiple B recovery moves, a glide (actually 2 of them), fast and lagless attacks (especially aerials), and a couple quick but strong kill moves. The trick to balancing him is to make sure that he can take advantage of those attributes without abusing them, so he doesn't overshadow all the characters who have fewer or none of those things.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Well whatever you guys do decide to do with Lucas I'm sure I'll still like him. Not crazy on the killing of the distance idea but then again its only fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom