• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
Why shield as opposed to like Z? Would make more sense I think.

Referring to glide attack

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Wow that Wario Fox match on Falco400's youtube was incredibly entertaining. I also noticed wario got some damage buffs since the last full build I played. Fair doing 11% makes much more sense.

Call it Link paranoia, but I'm getting really concerned link will end up bad again. Considering the drastic game changing buffs that characters like zelda, ganon, pikachu, ness, mario ect are getting, I'm very skeptical that link will be able to compete. He seems to be melee link with slight speed and animation buffs on a some moves, and a few buffs to make his garbage moves usable like arrows, Usmash, Dtilt, and ftilt. I think Shadic did a great job tweaking Melee link into a very solid character, and if this link were dropped into melee I could see him being around top midtier maybe even lower high tier.

Almost all of the link changes took place early on in development. Now with the low and mid tiers being buffed and changed so heavily, I'm hesitant to believe that link with a handfull of strong buffs and being one of the PM characters to receive unavoidable nerfs (Can pull less bombs, Shorter grab range, shorter tether having lost the ability to tether anywhere) doesn't need any re-tweaking this late in development with the game having changed so much. Link is still quite slow, and combo-able taking into account his average damage output, mediocre recovery, slightly above average weight, and lack of secure kill setups at reasonable percents, I don't think it's possible that he's going to be all that useful.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I finally get my Wii back tomorrow... if I go to the smash tournament this weekend I should have new vids but it depends.. its either than or mvc3.. so hard to choose

:phone:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Wow that Wario Fox match on Falco400's youtube was incredibly entertaining. I also noticed wario got some damage buffs since the last full build I played. Fair doing 11% makes much more sense.

Call it Link paranoia, but I'm getting really concerned link will end up bad again. Considering the drastic game changing buffs that characters like zelda, ganon, pikachu, ness, mario ect are getting, I'm very skeptical that link will be able to compete. He seems to be melee link with slight speed and animation buffs on a some moves, and a few buffs to make his garbage moves usable like arrows, Usmash, Dtilt, and ftilt. I think Shadic did a great job tweaking Melee link into a very solid character, and if this link were dropped into melee I could see him being around top midtier maybe even lower high tier.

Almost all of the link changes took place early on in development. Now with the low and mid tiers being buffed and changed so heavily, I'm hesitant to believe that link with a handfull of strong buffs and being one of the PM characters to receive unavoidable nerfs (Can pull less bombs, Shorter grab range, shorter tether having lost the ability to tether anywhere) doesn't need any re-tweaking this late in development with the game having changed so much. Link is still quite slow, and combo-able taking into account his average damage output, mediocre recovery, slightly above average weight, and lack of secure kill setups at reasonable percents, I don't think it's possible that he's going to be all that useful.
Link will be fine. He will/should be able to compete against some characters fairly well where as certian characters like I wanna say Falco/Fox just like in Melee you are gonna have to mind game them. Link overall is better with lag reduction on alot of his moves.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer

Don't worry about Link's viability. He has some tough MUs but overall he's a great character and can easily compete. I've went toe-to-toe with some great Falcos, Zeldas, all the characters you might expect may give Link trouble. Given it was on wifi, but practically lagless, I assure you. I'm not the greatest player but a high level Link like JCz was able to take down Azen, an excellent Marth main. I'm sure the coders will be able to figure out how to deal with those unavoidable nerfs (frankly, I'm missing my epic grab range D:) but Link is a great character. Besides, he's not supposed to be good. I think he should be the underdog, to conquer anyone against the odds. It's just beating someone is like a Legend of Zelda game: a puzzle, something you must think about and use the tools at your disposal. His spacing and spam games are great, he has pretty sweet combos and set ups and he finally has a grab game Imo.

You're worrying about theory. Try playing some people on wifi or at smashfests with Link. He does fine :) I know this one guy who actually hates my Link, saying the boomerang has some kind of homing ability. I'm just good with hitting people with it.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Link not being high tier is what makes playing him fun for me.....(or any other lower tier character)

there should always be a high/middle/low. balancing beyond that can make the game stale IMO
as long as there's no match-ups below 35-65, P:M will be a success :)

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Seeing Wario's fair actually do something put a huge smile on my face. My first ever Brawl match on day 1 was with Wario, and the first thing about the game that confused me was Wario's fair doing basically nothing at all with weak damage and next to no hitstun or knockback. Now it's a useful weapon that can be used for recovery or edgeguards.

iLink

Smash Champion
Wario's fair wasn't necessarily bad in brawl, it was pretty decent as an aerial poke and zoning out a few characters. With that being said, it was pretty dang weak.

magikoopa

Smash Rookie
Will Sonic be getting a new ->B?

Is there a way to get Wario to have his Wario Land costume show up as default? Like tricking the game into thinking it's Wario Land then WarioWare?
As for the Wario's costume bit I have 2 answers

1. Since the time Melee came out WarioWare didn't even exist and a lot of small asthetic changes were made to keep that Melee feel this one could be like a retroactive change

2. I was just asking, jeez...
it really isn't related to P:M... anyway, if you absolutely must, why don't you just swap the models? it seems kind of pointless though.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Quotes
Besides, he's not supposed to be good. I think he should be the underdog, to conquer anyone against the odds.

Link not being high tier is what makes playing him fun for me

Making link good is impossible lol

This is so ****ing infuriating. How many years has it been now that I've had to hear this bull****?

I would suggest looking into link a bit more considering the rest of the cast has changed so drastically. I would hope that when the full build comes out, if link is deemed LOL bad again that action will be taken. It seems that level headed competitive players are so intent to keep link bad and make excuses that he should be, that those of us that want to win in a tourney with the character we are best with are ****ed.

Yes I realize that you can win with melee link. Saying "Skler wins with link" doesn't really work. I counter with "random guy I knows brother wins with Falco"

You shouldn't have to be Skler to win with your favorite character.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Chill out Beorn - all evidence thus far suggests that Link is good.
As a Link main that takes my character as seriously as any fox or marth main-

I'm not upset Link may turn out bad. In my first post I outlined that I was skeptical. I'm upset with the mocking and jokey tone people take when link comes up. I've been in too many conversations about Link that had this insulting vibe, since the beginnings of brawl+.

I wouldn't have taken it seriously if link were ever actually good in anything but his own games. Hackers and original devs alike make him bad. The closest he ever got to being usable was brawl+, and they have to give him some insanely lag-less and powerful moves to pull it off. Not to mention shrinking the death boundaries.

I don't know if you remember Beorn, but Skler was the one who suggested 99% of Link's changes.
Yes I remember I was in the PMBR at the time, so I read the link thread.

Skler was asked what would make link good in melee. Not in PM where he is not in the same tier placement, with characters like zelda and mario being buffed so heavily. He also came into this thread later and said something along the lines of maybe he needs some other tweaks.

I'm not arguing links viability in all this.. I was just giving my thoughts. Then I got the usual link sucks and always will talk.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm upset with the mocking and jokey tone people take when link comes up. I've been in too many conversations about Link that had this insulting vibe, since the beginnings of brawl+.
Please note that this is not the opinion of the PMBR, and that (I believe) none of the individual members actually said anything to that extent, either.

He <Skler> also came into this thread later and said something along the lines of maybe he needs some other tweaks.
The only suggestion I've seen is him mentioning a slight tweak to the bombs.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Please note that this is not the opinion of the PMBR, and that (I believe) none of the individual members actually said anything to that extent, either.

The only suggestion I've seen is him mentioning a slight tweak to the bombs.
I understand that it's none of these comments are from PMBR. I know you guys are doing all you can to make this game the ultimate smash.

No one here has said anything to that extent that I have read... But back in the brawl+ days it was rampant.

Were those bomb tweaks added? Is that the ability to drop them more easily?

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Link is cool. Not Fox/Falco level. I think he lacks those beast-like killing options (srsly.. maybe it's the DI but whenever I hit the spin it hardly ever kills or they just tech it.) I've made pretty good use of him. Don't know how my tricks would fare against top players though.. <.<
But uh..
The bomb thing and grab range is a technical limitation? <_> -mighthavemisread

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Beorn, I think the thing with insults is that once they become funny, everyone hops on that train, you know? It's like bullying. I love Link, I've mained him in both Melee and Brawl for 5 years. When I mained him in Brawl, the Link community even poked fun at his flaws. I could never honestly see Link as top tier material. It would be odd, it'd be uncanny. I see him as the underdog, the kid from Kokiri who saved Hyrule. Link is amazing in my opinion, the best he's ever been. I'd settle with mid tier but man, top tier Link? Him being low tier is what compels me to continue maining him, to be that underdog. I could easily just become another Marth main but I stick it out with Link, because he's fun and I'm a LoZ fan boy.

I just deal with the insults, if I even get any. Now a days, it's all hate towards my Link because of how viable he is. Killing is a puzzle, frankly. I'm still trying to figure out the Snake match up. No fairies in that one...

Alopex

Smash Ace
I'd settle with mid tier but man, top tier Link? Him being low tier is what compels me to continue maining him, to be that underdog. I could easily just become another Marth main but I stick it out with Link, because he's fun and I'm a LoZ fan boy.
If P:M is done right, there really shouldn't be a need for that kind of mentality anymore.

Do I think P:M will eliminate tiers? No. But if everything gets the proper attention, the lowest tier in P:M will be at the playability level of the current high-mid tier (Brawl D tier) . Meaning those characters will still have a tough time with the top tier characters that will inevitably still be present in P:M, but not a tough time against an entire tournament.
Mid tier then will be a hodgepodge of match-up advantages/disadvantages, while the top tiers will generally just have a greater number of favorable match-ups.

There should be no character with an overwhelming number of bad match-ups, otherwise what's the point in doing balance tests?

Thus there will still be underdogs, but crippling a character for the sake of making yourself feel good about yourself? Pointless.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Beorn, I think the thing with insults is that once they become funny, everyone hops on that train, you know? It's like bullying. I love Link, I've mained him in both Melee and Brawl for 5 years. When I mained him in Brawl, the Link community even poked fun at his flaws. I could never honestly see Link as top tier material. It would be odd, it'd be uncanny. I see him as the underdog, the kid from Kokiri who saved Hyrule. Link is amazing in my opinion, the best he's ever been. I'd settle with mid tier but man, top tier Link? Him being low tier is what compels me to continue maining him, to be that underdog. I could easily just become another Marth main but I stick it out with Link, because he's fun and I'm a LoZ fan boy.

I just deal with the insults, if I even get any. Now a days, it's all hate towards my Link because of how viable he is. Killing is a puzzle, frankly. I'm still trying to figure out the Snake match up. No fairies in that one...
That was a beautiful LOZ post no homo. Also do you come across alot of Ganon's on wi-fi or what just curious?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Unlimited A.k.a. HapehLemons, are u planning 2 do this beta character demostration thing every week or what?

iLink

Smash Champion
omg yes @ fair lol

These video demos are pretty entertaining.

Also about charizard, is downb basically like a command jump and can it be used alongside upb to recover?

Unlimited

Smash Cadet
Unlimited A.k.a. HapehLemons, are u planning 2 do this beta character demostration thing every week or what?
I can't make any promises on how frequently I'll be releasing these. I pretty much make these videos independently, since I'm not part of the Project M team. Only reason I'm able to push them out is because a friend of mine (ShawnNumbers) Is a member and we record footage together. But I've got some plans for future videos and as long as the team is okay with it I'll keep pushing them out as I complete them.

Starscream

Smash Ace

HappehLemons Here!

I've just put together a new character demo, this time it's Charizard :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdx5hPdA_k
Looks fantastic. Great job P:M team! And thanks for putting together the video demonstration, loved the classic Pokemon intro.

BTW, have you guys considered putting together a Facebook page? Perhaps when all is said and done? Or even just to get these wicked character demonstration videos to a wider audience?

Szadek

Smash Rookie
Hi, sorry if my questions are dumb or grammatic incorrect, but i´m a REAL n00b and i don´t speak english very well.
I´ve got a Wii with Homebrew, Brawl and a SD Card with 2GB and GeckoOS on it(no Textures). What i´ve got to do to install the Projekt M?
It seems awesome^^

thx for answers ~Szadek~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom