• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yo PM team,

I'm ready to make a thread about Project M on another forum (neogaf). Of course, I intend to quote the 2nd post of this thread and link to the PM website, but I have a feeling the thread could become a disaster if a couple more points aren't addressed in the first post. You see, they are mainly of the "STOP PLAYING COMPETITIVELY YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" crowd.

So here's a couple of questions/comments I'm anticipating. It would be cool if you guys could post some answers in a professional matter ala the 2nd post of this thread.

1. This is so clearly aimed at tourney***s (there will be LOTS of this)/ I'm a casual Smash player, will this still be fun for me?

2. Why are they making changes to Brawl characters? What gives them the right to do this?

3. Why are they replacing of all the stages? NOW THIS GAME IS JUST NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION HERP DE DERP

4. This doesn't feel like Melee, it's off (everyone's favorite! I know it's landing detection/DI, but is there any other major changes to the engine that will not be ready for the demo?)

I'm sure more will come to mind, but that's all for now. If there's anything else you guys would like to point out to a primarily casual audience (that seems to prefer Melee to Brawl, however), please go crazy.

Sorry if this is a bother, just don't want to answer questions myself at the risk of being wrong/misrepresenting you guys.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If anyone gives a crap, I am willing to make a common3.pac that balances the items out for the not always serious players.

Please for the love of OJ, UPDATE THE FAQ WITH ANSWERS TO THOSE QUESTIONS!

We will all be thankful.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, because I don't think this has been recommended, why doesn't link use bomb arrows? I mean, you could pull out a bomb, and if you press b, then he shoots and arrow with a bomb on it like in Twilight Princess. I know that isn't melee accurate, but I think testing this could make Link alot more viable and overall a funner and stronger character. I'm not trying to force this change or anything, just putting it out there. =]

OverLade

Smash Hero
If anyone gives a crap, I am willing to make a common3.pac that balances the items out for the not always serious players.

Please for the love of OJ, UPDATE THE FAQ WITH ANSWERS TO THOSE QUESTIONS!

We will all be thankful.
Could the items be made to not suck like in Melee?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
^*facepalm*

I wonder what types of changes will be made to the Pokemon T.'s pokemon...

Revven

FrankerZ
So here's a couple of questions/comments I'm anticipating. It would be cool if you guys could post some answers in a professional matter ala the 2nd post of this thread.

1. This is so clearly aimed at tourney***s (there will be LOTS of this)/ I'm a casual Smash player, will this still be fun for me?

2. Why are they making changes to Brawl characters? What gives them the right to do this?

3. Why are they replacing of all the stages? NOW THIS GAME IS JUST NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION HERP DE DERP

4. This doesn't feel like Melee, it's off (everyone's favorite! I know it's landing detection/DI, but is there any other major changes to the engine that will not be ready for the demo?)
I may not represent how the whole team feels on these questions (it would be better if shanus or someone else who has been around longer than me to answer) but I think I can give some decent answers to these.

1. This mod can still be very fun for casual players. Despite the competitive nature built around it, it has generated a lot of fun new ways for casual players to enjoy characters they played in vBrawl. From new stages like Hyrule Castle 64 to completely redone characters like Snake you will find something to enjoy here as a casual player. Matches overall become a lot more fun and way different than how they were in vBrawl. (not sure if you want to refer to it as vBrawl on neogaf...)

2. While it may seem a bit puzzling on why we are changing vBrawl characters so much it really shouldn't surprise many people. There are just some characters that rely too much on a few select moves or characters whose move set wasn't quite what was envisioned if the character was in Melee (for example Wario). Changing vBrawl characters brings richness to the gameplay and differentiates it from the original game so you're not just playing that same exact character and that same character has the same strategies; think of it as a new game. A big part of it is also to fit them within Super Smash Bros. Melee's physics, if they kept everything about themselves the same as in vBrawl they would likely not feel very good or fit in at all making our goal impossible to reach if we left them alone.

3. There are some stages that are simply unsalvageable or not even fun to play on casually (Hanenbow). However rest assured in the final release that all stages will (from vBrawl) be playable as well as the newer stages. Newer stages include Saffron City 64, Dreamland 64, Metal Cavern, Dracula's Castle, a remade Hyrule Temple and many more! Giving new options is only beneficial, you shouldn't dismiss stages just because they lack hazards. New stages give a fresh feeling to the game and sets it apart from vBrawl.

4. Characters in Melee land on their shins and in vBrawl they land on their feet. This makes various things such as Marth's short hop double forward air difficult to do because he lands much sooner than in Melee. Some other things get messed up as well especially for Ganondorf as he cannot hit people through platforms with his down air like he can in Melee.

Is that good enough? I think so... again I'm not representative so these might not be the perfect answers (then again no answer really can be imo).

Revven

FrankerZ
Gannons side B in Project M isn't Melee accurate, yet he gets it. It's a cool little buff that Link could get, and I'm sure it could change the game, but for the better.
That is completely different. Ganondorf retains his vBrawl forward B because it's better than his forward B was in Melee (compliments his playstyle better). Link getting bomb arrows is entirely new and would likely be ridiculously silly. The arrows were made differently to actually serve a purpose (gimping) so they were already buffed to do that job, they don't need to be bomb arrows to be good.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Could the items be made to not suck like in Melee?
With OPENSA2 and a hex editor, it can happen, thought it will take time.

As of now, we can mod hitboxes of items.
When I learn more about command injections, we can do more with them.

Pokemon and Assist Trophies too.

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
With OPENSA2 and a hex editor, it can happen, thought it will take time.

As of now, we can mod hitboxes of items.
When I learn more about command injections, we can do more with them.

Pokemon and Assist Trophies too.
To balance all that wisely would be really nice. Now the big question is, what about final smashes?
I know you can modify them, but could you balance the way a character gets a final smash, apart from random appearing on screen and random hits account?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm not sure at this point how we can do change how characters get FSes.
It might involve more than just changing the smashball parameters around, which is already tricky considering it's uses of many unknown variable bits.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
1. Is there a specific release date yet for the demo?

2. In a lot of the videos, Bowser seems to have an ABSURD amount of Super Armor.....which also looks absurdly fun to use, lol. Yet he's not in the demo...are you guys still tweaking him?

3. ...I was going to ask about Lucario, but the FAQ already answered that. Nvm.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Actually, I am going to ask about Lucario. Is the general idea of his aura being chargeable being kept and tweaked, or is something else going to be done with him?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
<standardtoaster> ok so basically i need to start and stop recording every ten seconds to not get it to skip a bit :(

I hope you guys can deal with how my vids are until I get a new computer. :/

NeoZ

Smash Ace
<standardtoaster> ok so basically i need to start and stop recording every ten seconds to not get it to skip a bit :(

I hope you guys can deal with how my vids are until I get a new computer. :/
No problem, at least we get to watch something until the demo arrives.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Lawlz Just got back from playing vBrawl and "Bang." Makes me hate Snake, and here returns my anticipation for P:M. Wonder why ustream lags.

LiQViD

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure at this point how we can do change how characters get FSes.
It might involve more than just changing the smashball parameters around, which is already tricky considering it's uses of many unknown variable bits.
What if, we changed it so final smash ball things don't appear at all, but instead, if a player gets a 5 hit combo or something (as in, 5 distinct hits, not just spamming A or other multi-hit attacks like TL up-B) they go into FS mode and can then use a FS as a finishing move of their combo? However, if they don't use it within 2-3 seconds, it goes away. Of course, if FS is disabled in the item switch then this doesn't happen.

Thoughts?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Its a really nice thought, problem being A) the programming would be frightening and C) FSes would have to be balanced in some sort so theres not such a distinct OP of some. DK only get lol damage and possible gimps while all the starfox characters get an easy 2 stocks automatically.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Where in the video was Link? And the range is approximately Brawl's, a tad shorter due to us making the hitboxes not as stupidly large as they were in Brawl in general.
Link starts at 27:30, but guessing from what you said, I'm just seeing things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom