• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I dont really have a sense of entitlment, I dont have a sense of anything other than fandom for the game.

I made a video, some people liked it, some people didnt. Thats not really why I made it.

I made the video because it was fun and I had fun playing it. And just wanted to show some appreciation for the fun times the game provided me and my friends. It was something new and fun. Really fun, Seeing the brawl characters wavedash, combo and L cancel was insane, finding things on our own and doing new things were amazing.

I thought that the demo having 14 characters was a little dissapointing and saddening. Hardly any versatility or directions off the beaten path, fewer things for the player to discover for the first time.

I was just a little let down. I simply said the words "I just dont want to make a video with these 14" I also stated I would wait until another version of the game with more characters was out, Politely, and at no point did I say "This is how the game should be" or anything , JCease also said "Then dont" which is more so a proper response other than to attack me.

I used to want to be a tester for this game so bad. I just wanted to play it. To be involved with its production, that and I thought It couldnt look bad on my college applications.

I didnt feel like I was coming off with anything but a slight salty-ness of my favorite (Ike) being in the game or the other characters not being there limiting other peoples play.

But If I was I apologize I guess.

@Ulevo I dont think hes any better than me because hes part of the dev team, hes a human, and im a human, I wont put him on a pedestal or anything the fact that you would is kind of creepy.

shanus

Smash Hero
let's get this hate out of here. Snap - keep the vids coming, but could you limit your uploads to those only included in the demo?

This should solve all the sillness

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I definitely will be using melee vertex and texture packs because it looks too much like brawl. When I play, i sometimes think i'm playing brawl and try to do brawl stuff. It's kind of confusing but maybe it's just me...

on another note, i think the demo is good!

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
will the mechanics of wolf's reflector work the same way as fox's & falco's? will he be able to do the waveshine/shinegrab/multishine shenanigans?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
@Ulevo I dont think hes any better than me because hes part of the dev team, hes a human, and im a human, I wont put him on a pedestal or anything the fact that you would is kind of creepy.
That's the point - The point is to respect our wishes and our work in progress and not show off characters that are definitely unfinished. And if they weren't in our 14-character demo, they're definitely unfinished. That was the point of the demo - We didn't pick demo characters by drawing them out of a hat, you know. ;)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
will the mechanics of wolf's reflector work the same way as fox's & falco's? will he be able to do the waveshine/shinegrab/multishine shenanigans?
his shine has not been decided on yet. currently it works like n64 fox's shine.

Ecks

Smash Lord
BTW.
Guy who posted about adding costume slots.
DEFINETLY POSSIBLE!

The problem is actually making a way to select them.
I think I can do it though. The only problem is what to do if the file is missing.
That sir, would be all kinds of awesome.

pm mario is insane. great job devs.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
The Mario page reminds me - what properties does his cape have? My main concern is if it goes below the edge or not, which Doc's cape did but Mario's didn't, making Doc's much better for edgeguarding.

Stevo

Smash Champion
question

why does Jigglypuff fall quicker than in melee after doing an aerial pound? Her floatiness seems the same otherwise. Try to pound stall in the air and you will notice you lose height a lot quicker.

Also, her d-tilt is not the same as melee. (unless something is wrong with my P:M)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So the site states that the Mario Tornado works exactly like it did in Melee. But unless I recall incorrectly, Melee Mario's Tornado doesn't preserve horizontal momentum anywhere near as much as Mario:M's Tornado.

theitalianplumber

Smash Rookie
just logged in here for the first time to tell you guys how awesome the demo is. Mario so much fun to use now. ending almost every combo with Doc's Dunk feels like the sickest thing in the world. Falco is back to pulling off fancy shine combos, THE reason why i loved Falco back in Melee.

while i was playing this game though, i have noticed a few things that are off. sometimes the character's trajectory looks weird, as if they werent supposed to be knocked back like how they did and most importantly, i found out earlier that Lucas can pull off a down tilt locks when characters are knocked to the ground in a certain way (bair and dash attack)

pardon me if these issues were already addressed. and speaking about Mario:
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=102866
*hopes that i didnt post old stuff*

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I downloaded the demo and played it for a bit, here are a few of my observations:

- The layout is very clean, very professional. Nice job.

I also decided to play Melee to make some comparisons:

- P:M feels very "sticky," clunky even. I'm not sure if that's just the current state of the engine or if it is intentionally like that, but I didn't care for it.

- Not sure why some moves were scrapped in favor of their Melee counterparts (or new moves). To preserve playstyles? Well what about Snake's utilt?

All in all, I liked how fast it was. Unfortunately it just didn't feel smooth enough for me to really be able to keep the pace up. Part of that is my Melee skills being more than just a little bit rusty, but I still don't have much trouble playing fast on Melee soo...

I think I'll stick to B+ though. I'm glad for all of you Melee fans who now have an updated version to play, but it's just not my taste. There's just too much senseless finger acrobatics for me, too many hours of muscle memory training that get in the way of the actual game. It all just seems like needless complexity to me, complexity that doesn't translate into more depth.

Everything I've learned about game design through education and practice says that if you can achieve the same results through simpler means, then do so, because far more often than not it leads to better results. For example I'm not sure how manual L-canceling lends itself to more depth than auto-canceling. But again, this game is for the people who love all of those finger acrobatics, so to them I guess this is a gift from God.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I feel that P:M is more fluent than Melee. I thought Melee was the clunky one.
P:M DOES feel clunky to me, but that's just proof that they did it right. Melee physics (or lack thereof) is the very definition of clunky.
...Or maybe it's because my controller literally 'clunks' after every button press.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
If making things more simple is better then shouldn't you go watch a fighting movie? That way you don't have to do anything for yourself. It's only better if you have no desire to learn. It's easily fixed by playing other people who don't like to learn.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Ya know. I wouldn't mind a Project M GCT with L-canceling switched out for just a landing lag reduction code. But thats just because I personally never liked stuff like L-canceling as an actual technique.

But facts are this is to be closest to Melee as possible and when you've created an L-canceling code, no reason NOT to make use of it lol

Msingh0

Smash Apprentice
Ya know. I wouldn't mind a Project M GCT with L-canceling switched out for just a landing lag reduction code. But thats just because I personally never liked stuff like L-canceling as an actual technique.

But facts are this is to be closest to Melee as possible and when you've created an L-canceling code, no reason NOT to make use of it lol
I would stop right there. This is no place to start something like this, read the opening post, and if you were here when this discussion first started you'd realize why its a very bad idea.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm sensing people think I was leaving trollbait. I don't see how. And I've seen how L-cancel vs lag reduction discussions deteriorate into.

I wasn't even planning on continuing from that anyway. But yes, move on.

G

genkaku

After spending some time playing the demo, I have several impressions.
First, infinitely better than brawl. It really does seem to be what brawl should have been.
Second, the natural complaints with imperfections as compared to melee. LD and the like, no new news here.
Third, the additions to melee, like the re-balancing and especially the expanded and more dynamic stage roster. Fantastic. The implications for expanding, not just duplicating melee as a competitive game are extremely exciting. It seems like 10 years of a developing scene has been leading up to this point.
However, my reservations concerning the demo are fairly substantial. The demo does not feel resolved. Issues are still issues, and while I recognize that they are in progress, it doesn't seem that the demo is something that merits much more than a middle-beta stage status. Until the entire roster is available and the smaller problems are fixed, I don't think that the project is in a place to really explore. Competitive analytical play, which is the whole reason that I love smash in the first place, seems very premature at this point and until such a time that I can take it that seriously, I think I'm prolly just gonna play melee.

All in all, fantastic and exciting work, I congratulate you on the progress that you've made and am eagerly awaiting your conclusion, as I'm sure are you.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hey. So, I was working on some custom animated CSS/SSS hacks for Project M for myself, and I thought I'd share with you guys. Also has a couple of other things on there of mine. Tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UICn3WNHBAw

If you have any suggestions for the CSS/SSS's, leave some comments on the video. Sorry I don't have audio at the moment, need to pick up some cables.

Note: No, this is not a leaked version of the build, I edited the GCT. The extra characters are not usable, the games freezes if picked. They're there for aesthetics until the final release is out.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
this game is the best thing that's ever happened. Maybe not to the melee community, but at the very least to my group of melee-community-aware-but-still-kinda-scrubby friends. It fixes the few main disappointments I had with melee; shortage of characters and competetive stages along with a smaller than average but perceptible balance issue. i'm gonna be honest guys, fox/falco/marth/sheik/puff on FD, battlefield, and dreamland can only be played so many times before i start wishing for something more. These guys fixed all that; now every melee character is viable, hopefully all the brawl characters will be viable (you guys have my faith), and there's plenty of solid stages to choose from. I hope the development team doesn't let any criticism get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom