• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
For those who didn't know what the sse stage was:
Starter in doubles, counter-pick in singles. In singles characters like Fox and Falco could camp slower characters like Peach and Ganondorf hard, but it would be fine in the majority of match-ups.

Then why not just include it and ban Luigis Mansion anyway? It's -arguably- bannable under the premise that it creates an environment for faster characters to run away. Then at least we have a more enjoyable stage to play on.

How many neutral/counterpick stages are you looking to aim for?
I agree with this, you should include it.

Also, "faster characters being able to run away" is hardly an issue when the platforms are sharkable and can be destroyed REALLY quickly, just saying.

alright

I happen to use WD OoS a lot in melee, so it probably annoys me more than most.
Hopefully you guys will hit some sort of breakthrough.

It seems like brawl code has "dumbed down" the game to the point where it makes it more difficult for you guys to "fix" things. :awesome:
Are you an Ice Climbers main? No? Then I WDOoS more frequently than you ;P

Doesn't bother me though, I let go of the button and then press it again, rather than using two buttons.

Nobody ever said that the Lucas glitch was being removed for balancing issues. I believe this was clarified at least 5 times before this, and it's saddening to have to mention it a 6th.

The reason it's being taken out is because it was never intended to be there in the first place. It has nothing to do with how good it may be or how good Lucas may be or will become with it.

The Brawl ATs on the other hand are intended by the developers to be in the game.
IIRC, Strong_Bad was complaining about balance issues.

Given that he was considered a solid character in Melee only foiled by his lackluster recovery and inability to cancel a few of his aerials (and his DSmash's inconsistency), the return of the Parachute Nair, his powerful Smashes, and being able to act out of his recovery significantly boost him.

He sounds like an awesome character.
LACK-LUSTERRECOVERYWUT

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
That video looked to me like everything in brawl is thin compared to melee. Thats probably why the game feels off to me since I am so use to melee. When I play Falcon and marth I expect them to go farther when I jump like in Melee but since Melee is stretched they don't feel like they are going to the same spot.

It would be really nice to know if you guys are planning on fixing this, it would make a world of difference!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In none of my posts did I address the Lucas issue by stating that it made Lucas too good.

shanus

Smash Hero
That video looked to me like everything in brawl is thin compared to melee. Thats probably why the game feels off to me since I am so use to melee. When I play Falcon and marth I expect them to go farther when I jump like in Melee but since Melee is stretched they don't feel like they are going to the same spot.

It would be really nice to know if you guys are planning on fixing this, it would make a world of difference!
that video was off in every means. he was comparing the images of a widescreen to a not widescreen lol. The stages match identically, haracter sizes are damn close, and physics are direct ports!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Because being able to act out of air dodge conflicts with the entire point of going into special fall after an Air Dodge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's not a balance issue. It simply goes against the point of Melee Air Dodge; an aerial dodge with the drawback of having to go into special fall afterward. We could, by all means, add the glitch to every character. But we aren't going to, because it goes against the point of an air dodge in PM. This is why it isn't a balance issue.

Revven

FrankerZ
Can it just be dropped? Seriously? This is so stupid. It's a dumb glitch and people are defending something just to argue for the sake of arguing against us. I don't understand the purpose in it other than to produce more stupid posts that I don't care to read anymore.

shanus

Smash Hero
I provided explicit points on its cause, as well as concerns for its impact on gameplay several pages ago. Take it to the irc grimfandago or stop posting on it. Please.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
that video was off in every means. he was comparing the images of a widescreen to a not widescreen lol. The stages match identically, haracter sizes are damn close, and physics are direct ports!
I'm not sure about that. Everyone I have played with says their character feels too heavy compared to melee. The best reasoning I can think of is that the game does indeed feel less stretched and when they jump they are going the same distance but think they are not. When I played as Shiek I tried to jump and forward air and ended up nowhere near where I thought I would be. Basically the camera gives the illusion that you are going a lot less far than you are.

I think everyone feels the stages are smaller. That is because they are not stretched.

Revven

FrankerZ
No, it's the camera, I have stated this numerous times. The camera zooms out much more than it does in Melee. Go and put it in Widescreen, it makes the camera a little better (and I'm not kidding, it does).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I play Melee on widescreen, I think brawl is auto set for widescreen isn't it?
Brawl has an option to run widescreen. The easiest indicator is how close the battle portraits in a match are from the edges of the screen. Close to the screen means standard, clustered towards the middle means widescreen.

Also, I haven't played Melee in quite a while but I'm pretty sure it doesn't support widescreen. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Starter in doubles, counter-pick in singles. In singles characters like Fox and Falco could camp slower characters like Peach and Ganondorf hard, but it would be fine in the majority of match-ups.

Are you an Ice Climbers main? No? Then I WDOoS more frequently than you ;P

Doesn't bother me though, I let go of the button and then press it again, rather than using two buttons.

I only use 1 button as well actually.

have you actually tried it? Because I don't think you have the demo cuz PAL.

If you havn't tried it yet, I would hold off on judgement, because it is worse than I expected.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to check in a bit if I am playing Brawl on widescreen, even though I'm sure its already on some form of widescreen. If anything though, the video comparison actually looked as if they were both widescreen as the brawl videos were actually more wide.. less black bar on the side.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I always hated how close the camera zooms in Melee, so I like Project M's version.
It's horrible for me like when I'm getting hit off stage, and the camera zooms in on my opponent gimping me and myself, I can't even tell where the edge is so I kill myself.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
Brawl has an option to run widescreen. The easiest indicator is how close the battle portraits in a match are from the edges of the screen. Close to the screen means standard, clustered towards the middle means widescreen.

Also, I haven't played Melee in quite a while but I'm pretty sure it doesn't support widescreen. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Whenever I play Melee on my wii it automatically sets it to widescreen. Sometimes when I watch videos online I can tell the difference.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm going to check in a bit if I am playing Brawl on widescreen, even though I'm sure its already on some form of widescreen. If anything though, the video comparison actually looked as if they were both widescreen as the brawl videos were actually more wide.. less black bar on the side.
Youtube has a feature where the person can place a tag in their tags that makes the video stretch to be widescreen... which isn't exactly making the game truly widescreen.

I play Melee on widescreen, I think brawl is auto set for widescreen isn't it?
No, it is defaulted to 4:3. You have to change it yourself in the options. Which is funny because when you change it to widescreen it looks like the game was built on that and they just shoved in 4:3 for people who would still be using SDTVs.

Regardless, this whole thing doesn't change the fact that the stages themselves are the same size as Melee and the only difference is the nature of the camera. If we could change it, we would have by now and as stated in the OP it's an ongoing thing.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
Youtube has a feature where the person can place a tag in their tags that makes the video stretch to be widescreen... which isn't exactly making the game truly widescreen.

No, it is defaulted to 4:3. You have to change it yourself in the options. Which is funny because when you change it to widescreen it looks like the game was built on that and they just shoved in 4:3 for people who would still be using SDTVs.
oh, I have been playing melee for so long I must have made the change years ago. Still, there is a huge difference between the games. Widescreen Melee and Widescreen PM do seem to have a difference in that department. I would like to see some Legit comparisons :)

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
Uh, this post pretty much proves they're exactly the same size.
Well I agree they are the same size, just that the camera is not stretching the models like Melees does. It's just a visual illusion that the stages are small. When you die in Melee you feel like you fly a lot farther off the stage, people I played with think the side boundaries are really small.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I only use 1 button as well actually.

have you actually tried it? Because I don't think you have the demo cuz PAL.

If you havn't tried it yet, I would hold off on judgement, because it is worse than I expected.
I use one button to WD OOS and I can do it just fine (and I have average tech skill at best). Maybe it doesn't feel exactly like Melee, but give it some time and it will become natural for you.

GPDP

Smash Ace
The hell? Melee does NOT support widescreen. It never has and never will. It is solely 4:3. It is Brawl that gives you the option between 4:3 and 16:9. And no, your TV stretching the image into 16:9 does not count as widescreen.

All that's happening is that your TV is stretching Melee's 4:3 image into artificial widescreen. That's why Melee looks "fatter" than Brawl in widescreen, since Brawl can actually output an anamorphic 16:9 image that's meant to be stretched into true widescreen. Melee does not have this.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
so many people saying so many different things lol. My tv is being used so I can't check. If Melee really is not meant to be played widescreen then this is exactly my problem and I bet a lot of people have the same problem.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Melee supports 480p like most GCN games, but I've never seen a game on the GameCube that supports widescreen.
Indeed, Melee does support progressive scan, but not widescreen.

However, there are some Gamecube games with widescreen support, such as Soul Calibur II and F-Zero GX.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I knew something was up when people were talking about Brawl looking "thinner" lol.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom