• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
like I said earlier, I always JC usmash, so its not a big deal for me. I like the fact that its in because it makes some characters with small jumpsquat frames easier to running usmash (sheik and fox especially). Like some others were saying earlier, it helps people that are newer to the game get into it. and to all those people talking about m2k's fox usmash shenanigans, you have to realize something. he plays the gayest way possible. if there is something guaranteed, he'll take it
Especially because there's no stale moves. I wouldn't think Usmashing 5 times in a row with fox would be all that effective anyway. Maybe it's due to my lack of melee experience.

jalued

Smash Lord
fox's upsmash is melee is a very good move. Its pretty quick, can catch out spotdodges, has 2 hitboxes (both useful) and his head is invincible in the first few frames. But its not used all the time in melee as it can be punished severely due to fox's physics. M2k was just enjoying himself and trying out what he could do in project M, he wasnt playing seriously

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Kaizo's thought process is exactly the reason why it won't be changed. That minor thing does nothing positive or negative for the game. It's just there and there's really no reason in using up time to remove it just because "GAH! ONE LESS BUTTON TO PRESS = TOO EASY". You might as well say that for C-stick entirely, it's one less button to press so why not? It makes it easier, let's remove C-stick smashes altogether!

See, no, that argument is full of fallacy and you know it.
That doesn't hold with me.

I feel like I have heard this argument before in Brawl+ with L canceling.

Some people wanted it in but others rejected it saying at the highest level, people will do it anyways and its just one extra button. I was okay with that in Brawl+ cause it was a Brawl concept. And adding Tech skill is less important to Brawl than Melee.

Thing is Melee was a game with much higher tech skill, adding extra buttons and making the game more difficult is fine by me in this sense. Especially since is back to melee roots.

I also disagree with your concept of (by that logic lets just remove the C stick because that's just a shortcut)
Thing is I view the C Stick as Unique because of its position on the GC controller. It's position allows people to do things that would be nearly impossible to do in play without it. I could start a list but I won't.

C stick is more than adding or subtracting a button, its position multiplies the skill and depth of the game for fast game play. If the C-stick was somewhere on the controller that was hard to reach do you think people would use it because its a shortcut? I argue no.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
How about because it would be unnecessarily difficult to do a running usmash with tap jump off (which is quite common, like it or not) without the C-stick, and doesn't intrude in the game in any other way?

ManEg

Smash Journeyman

Stevo

Smash Champion
people can screw up their l-cancel sometimes.
does anyone honestly screw up run u-smash? (assuming you are doing the tap-jump method)
it is literally just pressing up-A like you would normally while standing still.

I will end up jump canceling them anyway of course, so in the end it doesnt really matter.

if it doesnt really change much, but allows me to turn tap jump off while maintaining as close to possible the same control I had in melee, why remove it?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
How about because it would be unnecessarily difficult to do a running usmash with tap jump off (which is quite common, like it or not) without the C-stick, and doesn't intrude in the game in any other way?
Thing is Melee was a game with much higher tech skill, adding extra buttons and making the game more difficult is fine by me in this sense. Especially since is back to melee roots.
What is tech skill besides being necessarily difficult. Its exactly this that made melee great. It provided so many challenges that were so fun to conquer master and use.

You many view these things as unnecessary but you'd be wrong. They are an essential part to making the game a fun challenge.

Stevo

Smash Champion
the project is trying to match Melee though.

so adding or removing things that give it a different feel or control difficulty will just make melee players not transition as well.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
it isn't supposed to match 1:1 to melee though. It's supposed to be mostly based off of melee and have mostly the same feel. Adding somethings from brawl (like RAR) isn't a bad thing for the project.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
What is tech skill besides being necessarily difficult. Its exactly this that made melee great. It provided so many challenges that were so fun to conquer master and use.

You many view these things as unnecessary but you'd be wrong. They are an essential part to making the game a fun challenge.
If you were talking about L-canceling, I would agree. It's a universal mechanic that adds a certain feel to the game.

But the removal of C-stick usmashes makes at most a very marginal difference to tap jump on users, but is a huge jump in difficulty for tap jump off users. So ... why? There's nothing wrong with it the way it is.

so adding or removing things that give it a different feel or control difficulty will just make melee players not transition as well.
C-stick usmashes would make absolutely no difference to a Melee purist. They wouldn't even notice.

Stevo

Smash Champion
C-stick usmashes would make absolutely no difference to a Melee purist. They wouldn't even notice.
no I know, and I agree with you.

my point was that they would notice without it if they wanted tap jump off.

and RAR is only adding something, so I agree that is good for the game.

up-smash (with c-stick) from run doesnt actually add anything, and not having it is harmful IMO

Swordplay

Smash Lord
There have always been advantages and disadvantages to using a certain controller setting. Some things are just in fact more difficult under certain settings. For example, I could argue its harder for tap jump on users to u-tilt without accidentally jumping than tap jump off users.

If that is really your stance, would you not be trying to standardize controller settings. I am in favor of unique control schemes as well. Regardless of whether or not they are more difficult. I am in favor of adding more tech skill even if it is not universal to all control schemes.

I guess I don't know the backroom stance on this. I believe that the controls you choose should dictate to some level the way you play and your strategies. This has always been my opinion. I think it adds some depth and different styles to different characters. I guess you do not believe in this?

Edit:

No, this is a technical element Stevo. It's only being argued if its a technical element people want.

THIS IS MY STANCE

I am in favor of adding more tech skill even if it is not universal to all control schemes.

I understand I may be in the minority but I feel my point is still valid. If I am in the minority do what you will. But I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Stevo

Smash Champion
does the (minute) added techskill really outweigh the possibility of allowing some people to enjoy having tap jump off

I would agree with you under other circumstances perhaps, but in this case, I feel it does NOT add any technical element to the game removing it.

(also, that is minute, as in, small. lol)

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
This is stupid. There's no reason to take it out. Doing so doesn't even add tech skill as jc u-smash is so simple to perform - unlike l-canceling - that no one really messes it up. Go ahead and continue to jc u-smash if you want. It really doesn't matter. Almost no one is going to complain about the inclusion of c-stick u-smash; many people will complain if it's taken out. The PMBR members posting in this thread seem to share this view, so...

/debate

Let's talk about something new.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord

I don't know what you're talking about. the game feels just fine as it is, as I had no trouble playing my first time. I can play them back to back and hardly notice differences

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The transition is super-easy. I've done very well against people who had been playing the alpha for quite a while and I've played the game twice. There are some issues here and there and you can tell it's a work-in-progress, but it's still quite like Melee.

ss118

Smash Master
I played this a little at TO6, and I felt it was really easy to transition between the two games, especially with Falco.

Marth felt a bit nerfed; he seemed to have a bit more lag after down throwing and gimping felt near-impossible compared to melee. Since I can't play it extensively, I don't have any direct suggestions to make for him.

Good work so far though, guys!

Stevo

Smash Champion
I don't know what you're talking about. the game feels just fine as it is, as I had no trouble playing my first time. I can play them back to back and hardly notice differences
I think you are taking my comment out of context.

it was during the whole debate about up-smashing during a dash. (which I do not want to get back into) I was just saying it should feel like melee, which Im sure it does.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
Just so you guys know, even without tap jump, you can do the running up smash without the c-stick.

99% chance of a Project M livestream Saturday night. HypeM!
Can we get an estimate as to what time it will start? I need to clear some time so I can watch.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Probably a dumb question, but I don't know anything about Melee frame data, so i'm gonna ask it anyway.

Do any ground moves give frame advantage on block in Project M?

T2 virus

Smash Rookie
Yea um...So i played Project M, and I was playing link, and i noticed that He can do mid-air Glide toss into his bomb for an extra Up-B or he can keep repeating this forever. Idk if this was intentional or not <.<

I think he needs it, Its only useful at high percents, at low percents its just useful for a more ranged Recovery and he can Mid air Glide toss into the stage also.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I honestly think that even without landing dection being fixed, Project M is 100% playable. It will just require a slight adjustment, as will a lot of things.

L-Canceling during hitlag NEEDS to be fixed

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Can we get an estimate as to what time it will start? I need to clear some time so I can watch.
~7pm EST. I'm sure it'll be on until at least midnight, probably later.

Yea um...So i played Project M, and I was playing link, and i noticed that He can do mid-air Glide toss into his bomb for an extra Up-B or he can keep repeating this forever. Idk if this was intentional or not <.<
Do you mean he can AGT (aerial glide toss), recatch the bomb and AGT again? Or AGT and up-B into the bomb, pull another bomb and do it agian? If it's the former, that was taken out months ago and you were playing a very outdated set. If it's the latter, I can't imagine Link would be able to do it more than once and actually gain height from it, unless he was at a really high %.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Good news, looks like some Melee players from Univ. of MD are coming, so it won't just be TH, Waffle, and me failing at tech skill! :yeahboi:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I honestly think that even without landing dection being fixed, Project M is 100% playable. It will just require a slight adjustment, as will a lot of things.

L-Canceling during hitlag NEEDS to be fixed
Does this mean you are going to release before landing detection is fixed? You might as well at this point. Everyone is hyped for this now unlike a year ago or 6 months ago. Most people have played it and liked it already.

Since fixing landing detection could take between 2 week and 2 years then you might as well say **** it imo. Otherwise this could lose steam.

that was pretty cool. I hadn't seen much of ganon and almost none of samus. So it was good to see where they stand.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Does this mean you are going to release before landing detection is fixed? You might as well at this point. Everyone is hyped for this now unlike a year ago or 6 months ago. Most people have played it and liked it already.

Since fixing landing detection could take between 2 week and 2 years then you might as well say **** it imo. Otherwise this could lose steam.
LOL I can hear the desperation in your voice as you read this. This game isn't anywhere near its prime in hype. Just because people in this thread are hyped doesnt mean the melee commuity is hyped. It doesnt mean the brawl community is hyped.

But they will be... :awesome:

jalued

Smash Lord

that was pretty cool. I hadn't seen much of ganon and almost none of samus. So it was good to see where they stand.
i dont think he's saying that. Landing detection would make the game feel almost perfect, but its not as important as other codes such as L cancel in hitstun.
If landing detection is considered possible to code, then im sure they will wait until it is added. However if not, the game will still be incredibly good. Dont try and rush it, i honestly doubt that it will loose steam, as long as its not leaked to the general public early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom