• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
People, calm down. Dantarion found something which may or may not solve our problems with some more work and luck. We don't have any fancy finished working code.
Part of the reason for my curiosity in my post. As much as I'd like to see Dant make a post in detail about it, I understand if you decide to keep this in the BR until you do or don't make progress.

The reason for the "warping" is because of the huge value Dantarion was using.
Ah HA! I knew I was onto something.

But that's all I got ._.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Lulz, there isn't anything to keep secret. He literally just found it today, and hasn't even tried to make it character specific.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
from watching the vid, looks like platforms and the stages have different landing detections. otherwise, they'd both be altered, but only one is. it also makes me wonder if pit's stage classifies all of the ground as platforms.

at first, i was worried falco could upB and warp to the actual stage. but then i realized i was being silly, and that a normal value would still make him fall to his death.

anyway, you can't stop me, shell. i'm gonna be hyped no matter what you say!
DANTARIOOOOOOOONN

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Cool, I'm guessing he'll test a lower end value for experimentation? I hope this is a successful caveat.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
So if landing detection can be made to be like melee (hypothetically speaking, Shell), then would Ganon still be able to Thunderstomp, right? He'd just have to start dairing later.....or is autocanceling not in anymore?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Ganon probably won't be able to SH AC Dair ('thunderstorm') in the game regardless of landing detection, but he will be able to FH Dair DJ, SH Bair DJ, and SH Uair DJ among other things.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Will some characters still be able to autocancel though? Or will autocanceling be completely removed altogether?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
No, autocanceling will not be removed. It was also in melee. Technically the term Auto-Canceling refers to something else (landing during a certain part of your attack to automatically reduce the land lag without pressing shield) rather than just completing your aerial enough before you land, I believe.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
No, autocanceling will not be removed. It was also in melee. Technically the term Auto-Canceling refers to something else (landing during a certain part of your attack to automatically reduce the land lag without pressing shield) rather than just completing your aerial enough before you land, I believe.
Your right. Marth can auto-cancel his Dtilt:chuckle:

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master

...you can't autocancel moves that aren't aerials. Autocanceling is what shell said: Landing during a part of your aerial so that it has very low (or no) lag. The prime example is thunderstorming with Ganondorf.

and shell, I know what autocanceling means.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
umm... no Spam_Arrows

Autocanceling is landing from an aerial with no landing lag, when you still haven't met the aerial form of IASA.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I'm pleased to see progress has been made in regards to landing detection.

Once that's perfected, and the knockback values are transferred, what else will be left before we see a public beta? Bug fixes and some balancing, I presume?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
umm... no Spam_Arrows

Autocanceling is landing from an aerial with no landing lag, when you still haven't met the aerial form of IASA.
Technically it's a cancel....Really I'm starting to think some of you just like arguing. There is no need to get that serious over nothing.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Other coding probably. I haven't seen any progress with Meteor Canceling at the moment.

Also, question about edge canceling. When playing on Yoshi's Island (Brawl), its extremely easy to edge cancel around the slope of the stage. Will there be something to make edge canceling not as easy? Maybe this question will be answered when landing detection is working properly.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Technically speaking, there's a variable present in all aerial A moves. This variable is set to be active only during certain frames of the aerial. Touch the ground during any of these frames, you have landing lag. If you land before or after this period of time, boom. Autocancel, which = zero landing lag.

Get it? It makes sense to me. =]

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Technically speaking, there's a variable present in all aerial A moves. This variable is set to be active only during certain frames. Touch the ground during any of these frames, you have landing lag. If you land before or after this period of time, boom. Autocancel.

Get it? It makes sense to me. =]
which explains why sometimes i fast fall a short hopped d air with link and nothing happens (except me getting mad because that shot would have ended the match)

same with u air. because the frames didn't start yet. right?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Technically it's a cancel....Really I'm starting to think some of you just like arguing. There is no need to get that serious over nothing.
Down tilt can not be autocanceled....on any character. You can't land during a down tilt and have no landing lag. Tilts don't have landing lag. It's not getting serious over nothing, it's simply correcting someone who's misinformed.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
People, calm down. Dantarion found something which may or may not solve our problems with some more work and luck. We don't have any fancy finished working code.
Whatever Dantarion's discovery may be to Project M... it still shows you guys are really moving along. You basically outdated the trailer in less than 2 weeks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's called IASA: Interruptible As Soon As. Marth can do stuff before Dtilt's animation is over.
many moves have it. it has nothing to do with autocanceling.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
You called it an autocancel, I corrected you.

It is not an autocancel. It is an IASA, which can be called a cancel, but it's not an autocancel.

poodoas

Smash Rookie
Are you guys going to have a melee camera for this hack? has anyone ever tried to hack the SSBB camera to be more like Melee's?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Actually, i think they are simply able to do it. They haven't actually reconfigured it yet to exactly look like Melee.

Atleast that is what I remember from the last time anyone from PM said anything about it.

The trailer was outdated a week ago.
Ha ha. Very true.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
For a person who doesn't know all the subtleties of the Melee to Brawl differences, what changed in the camera, exactly? What's the difference between the two? Examples, if possible, would be nice.

Also: I converted, for my own personal collection, all the Melee victory themes to Brawl's music format. They sound much better in my opinion. I also muted the little loop that plays after the victory theme ends, which makes it sound much more like Melee. Would this interest the Project: M cause? I just like to help.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
For a person who doesn't know all the subtleties of the Melee to Brawl differences, what changed in the camera, exactly? What's the difference between the two? Examples, if possible, would be nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIwx5AWgF4
And the differences are quite noticeable in this comparison.

Also: I converted, for my own personal collection, all the Melee victory themes to Brawl's music format. They sound much better in my opinion. I also muted the little loop that plays after the victory theme ends, which makes it sound much more like Melee. Would this interest the Project: M cause? I just like to help.
Ah yeah, I use the Melee FE and Mario victory themes. They both sound so much better. I never saw the Zelda series victory on hub so if you could do that, that would be awesome.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Tada.
Brawl has really bad horizontal camera movement. Although I think the HUD sometimes gets in the way for Melee, which is annoying. Brawl zooms too far in, and reacts too slowly and too little in regards to what is happening on screen.

D

Deleted member

Yeah seriously, could you guys put up a trailer that lasts more than a week? Jeez, slow down your progress morons.

Jkin, <3 you all.

Btw, I noticed that in most of the test vids, the characters being used are the high tier characters who everyone already knows how to play. I'm thinking this will make character balancing harder later on, because people will be far worse at using the low-bottom tiers (as they will have little-no experience, undeveloped metagame), meaning they might be overcompensated for when balancing.

Just a thought, I know you guys are nowhere near starting balancing yet.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, sometimes it's just understanding the weaknesses that really hold them back unlike other weaknesses that otherwise leave some characters balanced like Fox and Falco being light-weight fast fallers. For example, Link's main issue is the lack of speed in the execution of his moves. He has all the tools, his recovery is fine, and he's got ****ing Nair. It's just that most of his moveset can't really keep up and it's a huge problem.

Oh, and then there's Sheik who most of the cast won't have to deal with when it comes to awful CG crap.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We're doing work on non-top tier characters as well, but old Melee top-tiers require very little changes. That means less time brainstorming, less time debating new ideas, and less time experimenting. You aren't going to see any videos of characters that still have large changes coming to their movesets.

D

Deleted member

Well, sometimes it's just understanding the weaknesses that really hold them back unlike other weaknesses that otherwise leave some characters balanced like Fox and Falco being light-weight fast fallers. For example, Link's main issue is the lack of speed in the execution of his moves. He has all the tools, his recovery is fine, and he's got ****ing Nair. It's just that most of his moveset can't really keep up.
That makes sense, the range of character quality might be slightly imperfect because it's done somewhat roughly, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's a part of the game.

What kind of range are you guys looking for in character quality? Fox to C.Falcon? Fox to Samus? Fox to Mario? (Those comparisons are using the current tier list).

EDIT: @Shadic: Makes sense. Better to get the overall physics down first.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I believe the devs are definitely aiming for top tier. The general interest seems to prefer no nerfs to top tier characters at all with very few exceptions (Sheik's throws come to mind). I could only imagine weakening Fox's USmash to kill at 120-130% maybe.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIwx5AWgF4
And the differences are quite noticeable in this comparison.

Ah yeah, I use the Melee FE and Mario victory themes. They both sound so much better. I never saw the Zelda series victory on hub so if you could do that, that would be awesome.
Huh. That IS quite a difference... Stunning actually. I guess it makes sense, though, as Brawl, being a slower game, doesn't NEED that much zooming out to be played, whereas Melee does.

On a side note, I've taken a project upon myself of taking the Melee OST and converting it all to Brawl .brstm's, ignoring which ones are already done. Anyone have a list of what music, including menu things and all, didn't make the Melee to Brawl jump? I've already done the victories and Mushroom Kingdom II (cause I couldn't find it on Brawl Vault, and I wanted it for the MKII stage someone made). I find making the music loop simple and easy. To make it related to the topic, when I'm done, I'll donate the music to Project M, if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom