• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Lucario uses flashes of "aura" with nearly every move as well, giving his hits a special flair.

If you wanted to do psychic moves, make either invisible, disjointed hitboxes. Or, rather just have visual effects outstretched from his body. The former is probably a no due to invisible lol.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Not that it should be a priority right now, like at all, but if they get the clone engine working and bring back characters that would be incredibly hype for a lot of smash players.

If they -added- characters some how? That would explode Project M's popularity. A lot of people really enjoy playing as a specific character and don't really care about what game they're in. Look at all the people who scream for certain characters for Smash 4.

Plus on the subject of adding characters. There's a lot of Assist Trophies that are worthy of being their own character (Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, Gray Fox, Waluigi, Jeff, Isaac, and Shadow off the top of my head). To be honest that's an -absurd- amount of work right there. Hell even if they added in one of them it'd be pretty hype.

But I'm not expecting it, and I'd much rather they just finish the project with the characters they have before they would even consider something like that.

Also regarding a Mewtwo move set. I think his normals are fine. He just needs a new Down-B and Side-B to be more "awesome." They're very uninspired.

JOE!

Smash Hero
exactly, but the tail moves everywhere feel weird for somebody who can lift you skyward with a thought

And I dunno, I'm from MA lol

Slashy

Smash Lord
Not that it should be a priority right now, like at all, but if they get the clone engine working and bring back characters that would be incredibly hype for a lot of smash players.

If they -added- characters some how? That would explode Project M's popularity. A lot of people really enjoy playing as a specific character and don't really care about what game they're in. Look at all the people who scream for certain characters for Smash 4.

Plus on the subject of adding characters. There's a lot of Assist Trophies that are worthy of being their own character (Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, Gray Fox, Waluigi, Jeff, Isaac, and Shadow off the top of my head). To be honest that's an -absurd- amount of work right there. Hell even if they added in one of them it'd be pretty hype.

But I'm not expecting it, and I'd much rather they just finish the project with the characters they have before they would even consider something like that.

Also regarding a Mewtwo move set. I think his normals are fine. He just needs a new Down-B and Side-B to be more "awesome." They're very uninspired.
Yeah that's what I have been saying throughout the thread, I was just suggesting that if we're going beyond Roy and Mewtwo we can pick from that pool of characters that have announcer calls (gives them a greater form of legitimacy compared to trying to audio splice it or them not having it at all)

Ridley, Krystal, Tails, Bowser Jr. already have existing projects to add them into the game that could just be ported to P:M (even though I'd really like to see Jody to give F-Zero another character and for another female)

:phone:

JOE!

Smash Hero
he can blow up things with his mind, and he fights with a giant spoon in that manga???

Anywho, if I were to make a psychic dude in a fighter, I'd take a look at what psychic abilities are most known for: attacking the mind and moving things from afar.

Attacking the mind isn't too feasible in this scene, but mindgames are. As are having ranged hitboxes say, X distance from the user that "pop". Sorta like Din's fire but on say a Smash attack. Mindgames could be done by him having the same animation for some moves, yet a different psychic hitbox.

But, Mewtwo has been in melee for a while so he can't be changed *too* much, I'd just like it if in my ideal world he had more cool psychic attacks like Nair or a Usable confusion, rather than tail whips everywhere lol.

edit:

Idea: Turn confusion into a command grab that instead of attacking on-whip, actually reflected projectiles (instead of redirect like in melee). The command grab part could have an Up and Down throw that either flops them on the ground or launches/levitates the foe upward.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I will never understand why people want characters like Tails and Shadow playable in Smash. The whole point of having a guest character is that it's a special event; a stand out character that meant something significant to Nintendo at some point or another, and is privileged enough to be there. It's a game of Nintendo all-stars. Any guests should be left minimal, and to those who deserve it most, with a limit of ONE per license.

Now, does someone like Megaman deserve a spot in Smash? Yes, and he probably deserves it more than any other 3rd party. Still, something like that shouldn't be decided by the PMBR (and I'm not even talking about licensing issues). When you have additions like this, you get the Super Smash Flash effect; the creative team starts over-stepping their boundaries, and it becomes just another crazy fan hack/project. Nintendo still has a rich, vast library of characters to choose from, and if the the PMBR decides to do something like this, they would much better serve their project (in many ways) by picking one of those.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Google says
Did you mean: egregious
Yeah i just looked that up and and that's what i meant. Apparently i have been both spelling and pronouncing it wrong. Which is weird because i used google not too long ago to check the spelling and somehow mustve misread it or something... hmmm.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I will never understand why people want characters like Tails and Shadow playable in Smash. The whole point of having a guest character is that it's a special event; a stand out character that meant something significant to Nintendo at some point or another, and is privileged enough to be there. It's a game of Nintendo all-stars. Any guests should be left minimal, and to those who deserve it most, with a limit of ONE per license.

Now, does someone like Megaman deserve a spot in Smash? Yes, and he probably deserves it more than any other 3rd party. Still, something like that shouldn't be decided by the PMBR (and I'm not even talking about licensing issues). When you have additions like this, you get the Super Smash Flash effect; the creative team starts over-stepping their boundaries, and it becomes just another crazy fan hack/project. Nintendo still has a rich, vast library of characters to choose from, and if the the PMBR decides to do something like this, they would much better serve their project (in many ways) by picking one of those.
I want Tails in because it's his sidekick, I'd like to have Sonic/Tails vs Mario/Luigi or (Donkey/Diddy). I'm saying these could be nominations that, as Overswarm said, we could raise money to place for a venue for a major P:M tournament. It feels like the classic/adventure games to have Tails following Sonic, so it is why I was tempted to bring that feel into Brawl.

I mean Melee had two characters from a franchise, but didn't have any stage for them. I don't think there are a whole lot of rules when it comes to picking characters, but I'd like to figure out another Zelda character that could fit into P:M.

Super Smash Flash used to have fan characters, and they still have anime characters overpopulating the roster. For the most part I suggested characters from already represented franchises in Smash. I do understand your concern which is why I am not suggesting that many 3rd parties (aside from Mega Man who really should have been in Brawl) or mostly insignificant characters (Waluigi) (Geno really fails both of these tests).

I do tend to like to double dip into some obscure characters, as I think it can help spark curiosity about a franchise or can give a lot of fanservice to the very enthusiastic fans. Or due to some compulsion to not leave major sidekicks/love interests/family members missing, if I'd message more requests to Pat I'd probably throw Mist somewhere (but then we'd get some disturbing imagery of Ike attacking his sister)

I enjoy this discussion obviously (since if the PMBR goes with the idea of a premade nomination list I'd practically be in charge haha). If a clone engine WAS completed and the PMBR was willing to do with this fundraising idea to pick newcomers, I would definitely like to try and get more lines from Pat as I would like there to be a lot more nominations.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Project M is gonna add more characters??? Omg. I want Impa! Skyward Sword Impa! And King K.Rool, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Isaac, Ridley, Dixie Kong and Anthony Higgs (remember him?).

SunJester

Smash Ace
Project M is gonna add more characters??? Omg. I want Impa! Skyward Sword Impa! And King K.Rool, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Isaac, Ridley, Dixie Kong and Anthony Higgs (remember him?).
I wouldn't hold your breath. I mean if it is possible to create a clone engine I'm sure they'd start with the Melee veterans left out of Brawl. If we're lucky after that, maybe a character or two.

Its a very long ways away, I'm almost positive their #1 priority character-wise right now is balancing the current roster.

Edit: Not that it wouldn't be hype as hell

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I understand why you would like those characters to be included, but I just don't think that's enough to deserve an inclusion.

Fun fact; all (4) Animal Crossing games combined have sold an approximate 21.88 million units worldwide. This tops F-Zero (5.80), Star Fox (11.17), and METROID, which from 23 games totals at 17.48 million units. If that's not deserving of a playable character, then I don't know what is. ;)

(all statistics taken from vgchartz.com)

Slashy

Smash Lord
We were discussing the possibility of

A. Clone engine completed
B. The PMBR decides to add in newcomers

How do they decide which newcomers to add in? And I proposed that since there were only 12 newcomers that had an extra sense of legitimacy compared to every other possibility that we go with them.

I understand why you would like those characters to be included, but I just don't think that's enough to deserve an inclusion.

Fun fact; all (4) Animal Crossing games combined have sold an approximate 21.88 million units worldwide. This tops F-Zero (5.80), Star Fox (11.17), and METROID, which from 23 games totals at 17.48 million units. If that's not deserving of a playable character, then I don't know what is. :p

(all statistics taken from vgchartz.com)
Yeah, I'm sure if the PMBR gives me the chance to message him again I'll suggest Tom Nook or something despite the fact that Sakurai doesn't think the series belongs in Brawl (since there is not any combat in the series itself), and I think it has a franchise icon in the game.

I also consider double dipping with existing franchises since it will mean less work trying to figure out how to create a new franchise.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No characters from animal crossing fit, lacking any kind of combat or even really any conflict. That's a legitimate argument. Don't bring up GaW either. The argument works just as well against him, but it's too late to NOT include him. His existence also doesn't justify adding more nonsensical characters to the cast.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Great. Now we got people's hopes up.

I don't even want other characters in. I'd rather have my full complete roster of 39 than to have the PMBR waste time tacking on these half-***** characters, characters they have to start from scratch on btw. It's extremely tacky and unprofessional. The PMBR already has some iffy animations on characters as is (Lucario dislocating his shoulder when he up smashes), so I highly doubt that we'll get polished and complete characters. No offense to Silentdoom, since he does an amazing job on the animations.

/opinion

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
JCaesar you are making me proud man!!! :diddy:

Dat DK is sexy to man! :dk2:

SunJester

Smash Ace
If we're talking about characters that have glaring omissions from Brawl it would definitely be someone from the Animal Crossing series, I mean the tools for the character just scream specials or smashes.

Then if we were to make things easier on the PMBR using Assist Trophies would be the easiest way to have an already built model in the game. Characters like Waluigi, Isaac and Little Mac would all fit in well. For adding existing franchises support Jeff would be cool, and as much as I dislike the Sonic series I know people would be hype as hell about Shadow being a playable character.

But as I said, this is waaaaay off in the future if it is even going to happen. Though if anyone could do a good job on it, it would be the PMBR

Slashy

Smash Lord
I appreciate that, but it's not up to me. I'm just trying to do some indirect lobbying/fantasizing. :awesome:
Is that existing list of characters (for the most part) decent? I'm suggesting this as I think it will make dealing with the possibilities that the clone engine provides less daunting, and it will prevent P:M from becoming anything like Super Smash Flash or MUGEN.

I'm just suggesting that in this hypothetical scenario that the PMBR stick to this list of characters to both,

A. Come to a much easier consensus on which characters to add due to a limited number of choices
B. Promotes legitimacy/polish, with some sound editing and replacement these characters won't seem out of place at all
C. They could use this opportunity to raise money for a major Project:M festival.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
No characters from animal crossing fit, lacking any kind of combat or even really any conflict. That's a legitimate argument. Don't bring up GaW either. The argument works just as well against him, but it's too late to NOT include him. His existence also doesn't justify adding more nonsensical characters to the cast.
I will bring up GaW. And ROB. And Phoenix Wright from MVC3. And CAPTAIN FALCON. All characters that don't fight in their games, but ended up fitting in just fine in fighting games.

Nonsensical? How? I think characters that don't fight in their own games have the most potential for creative, interesting move-sets. You have to make unconventional design choices, and they end up being some of the most unique characters. It might sound Japanese to say it like this, but you get the "Oh, so that's how they decided to do it!" feeling, and that's something that I really like.

Slashy

Smash Lord
If we're talking about characters that have glaring omissions from Brawl it would definitely be someone from the Animal Crossing series, I mean the tools for the character just scream specials or smashes.

Then if we were to make things easier on the PMBR using Assist Trophies would be the easiest way to have an already built model in the game. Characters like Waluigi, Isaac and Little Mac would all fit in well. For adding existing franchises support Jeff would be cool, and as much as I dislike the Sonic series I know people would be hype as hell about Shadow being a playable character.

But as I said, this is waaaaay off in the future if it is even going to happen. Though if anyone could do a good job on it, it would be the PMBR
I was just suggesting that we could just add characters to existing franchises so there aren't any problems trying to make new franchises or having characters awkwardly representing different franchises.

Roy, Mewtwo, Tails, Ridley, Krystal all have announcer calls and premade movesets having both legitimacy and the work already started. I'd like to see Jody Summer though as it would give the PMBR a blank template to basically try out a whole bunch of new movesets.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who would really, really not want characters not already in Smash to be included in Project M?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Am I the only one who would really, really not want characters not already in Smash to be included in Project M?
You are not alone. Frankly, I don't want to see any characters added to Project M and just stick with the Brawl roster. Adding in characters not already in Smash seems forced in a way.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I will bring up GaW. And ROB. And Phoenix Wright from MVC3. And CAPTAIN FALCON. All characters that don't fight in their games, but ended up fitting in just fine in fighting games.
Of those, Pheonix is the one that is weirdest.

:gw: : Uses items from his games to attack foes with, that have some legitimate background as nearly all the items also were used to harm GW or such in the games.

:rob: : Using his robotic frame, it's easy to assign robot-stuff to him like jets and lasers.

:falcon: : The dude is practically a superhero from the looks alone lol.

Pheonix, while being human and thus technically able to fight, is an odd choice as he doesn't have any known weapons/dangerous items, unique frame or super-physique and background (bounty hunter, though the fire element is kinda outta left fi... fire field... :troll:).

Any Animal Crossing rep would have to be like GW in that nearly all their attacks would be a shovel, pickaxe, what have you. Doable, but at the same time like with Pheonix the "feel" isn't really there for one of their characters to really be fighting.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be cool if they added one, but I understand where you're coming from. I'd rather nobody than multiple.

Any Animal Crossing rep would have to be like GW in that nearly all their attacks would be a shovel, pickaxe, what have you. Doable, but at the same time like with Pheonix the "feel" isn't really there for one of their characters to really be fighting.
I guess I just disagree that this is a bad thing.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well think about it, all the characters that are in smash come from a game where combat and/or action in some manner is prevalent, with the exception of ROB who got in due to saving vidya gaems and pew pews. (dunno much about gyromite, heh)

Animal Crossing doesn't have those elements, thus the "feel" of being in smash isn't really there, which is why Sakurai doesn't want a rep either.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter though and even has a gun. He's not that out of place as a fighter, just the choice for his moveset is kinda weird (they made him like a superhero instead of a bounty hunter lol).
Well, I'm pretty sure that Tom Nook used to be a boxer...lol.

Well think about it, all the characters that are in smash come from a game where combat etc. etc.
I totally understand your point, but again, I like it for the same reason I think Phoenix Wright in MVC3 is cool.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Also, GnW and ROB were the first two major icons Nintendo had as company mascots, dating to before Mario was a household name. Or, the most history ever.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I can agree with ROB, GaW and CF not really belonging if you look from the beginning, since they never had any real combat role in their games. The difference? They are already in. Taking them out damages the game more than it helps it. They are not valid as an argument for the inclusion of characters of equal ridiculousness. That's like saying "well hey, this doesn't make sense, so let's make less sense!" It is an argument against their inclusion, but as I've already said, it's a little bit late for that. ROB's moveset makes sense, as a robot at least, and it's not out of the realm of reality that a robot might be used for combat. Falcon's essentially a smash icon now. I don't think he really needs an explanation. GaW is like the only of these three whose only reason for continued inclusion is "...well... he was in the last one and we don't want to take him out 'cause some people won't like that." He's 2 dimensional for one, which is on a level of silliness no other character matches, fights almost exclusively with food and household items, most of which don't fit as combat items, another thing no character has claims to, etc etc. Point is, GaW makes significantly less sense for inclusion as a character. But he's still already in. That doesn't mean we just go adding characters willy nilly and when we come across the problem of convincing the player that their moveset makes sense that we just refer to GaW in our defense... no, referring to GaW is an argument against GaW, not for more GaW.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I just completely disagree with your philosophy. Are you really implying that the inclusion of those characters actually decreases the quality of the game? If you had your way, would you really remove Game & Watch? This game isn't "serious business" as some people like to think. It's about Nintendo franchises being represented in a fun way by punching each other and exploding. It's about fun, ridiculousness, and community. It doesn't matter that they don't fight or aren't fighters, because here, they are. Hell, half of the characters that are in games where you "fight" (jump on) enemies have most of their moves completely fabricated. It's called creativity and taking risks, and I respect Sakurai so much for even considering Game & Watch. These are some of the things that set Smash Bros. apart from other fighting games, and it's very unfortunate you see that as a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom