• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You don't use Z to grab?

In Melee I used L for everything, so my R button was free. With a little practice it actually works great for doing stuff OOS with tap jump off (because **** tap jump).

Vashimus

Smash Master
I thought I was the only person who uses R for everything, and kept the L button free. And tap jump is only a pain with certain characters.

Z buttons get pretty iffy with age, and are almost always the first button to die, so in Melee, I just got used to grabbing by pressing shield+A really fast. Still do it. I set X to grab in P:M, since I never use it to jump.

:phone:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I've been conditioning myself to not using z or at least in very few situations, because I've always found it a very odd and awkward button. So I set it to attack, so it can still serve the purpose to allow me to DACUS with the characters that can only do it with the down c stick up attack method, but it gives me a better incentive to use r. On the whole I think the r button is a much more satisfying button for grabbing and I already used it to l cancel, so yeah thats my setup lol.

MaxThunder

PM Support
I see that makes a lot of sense. Yeah I'm working on those jump out shield things, but I usually end up screwing that up.

ZSS is extremely weird to control, might actually end up sticking with Charizard lol
Co contrary to kink-link, I support this cuz I Palau him...

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Hey, I've been playing Wario Land: Shake It for the past couple days, and I have to congratulate the PMBR (again) for their great job on Wario:M's new animations. I mean, I already knew that they looked nice when I played 2.5, and I knew that they were taken from/inspired by WL:SI, but after playing the game I can appreciate just how perfect they are. Stuff like the ground pound really looks identical to the game.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Or you could set R to jump to do OOS stuff because **** tap jump
This works but it still isn't the easiest method. You still end up having to press three things for an action that really should only require two. It's the same for usmashing OoS. Just press up on both sticks. No janky buttons required. :p

In Melee I used L for everything, so my R button was free. With a little practice it actually works great for doing stuff OOS with tap jump off (because **** tap jump).
Yeah, but some people are used to using one button for shielding and the other button for wavedashing because they used the double trigger method for WDing OoS in Melee, something that I hope you guys manage to bring back for P:M. :ohwell:

Yeah, it's a good thing we don't have that problem with shielding!

oh wait
Actually, we don't spiffy, because the game detects light presses for shielding. I don't think it does the same for jumps. :smirk:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
This works but it still isn't the easiest method. You still end up having to press three things for an action that really should only require two. It's the same for usmashing OoS. Just press up on both sticks. No janky buttons required. :p
It's a small price to pay. No accidents, easy up tilts and short hop up airs, up-b doesn't take your double jump, does your taxes while cooking dinner and giving you a massage, etc.

Actually, we don't spiffy, because the game detects light presses for shielding. I don't think it does the same for jumps. :smirk:
...fair enough. Might be nice if it did, though.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's a small price to pay. No accidents, easy up tilts and short hop up airs, up-b doesn't take your double jump, does your taxes while cooking dinner and giving you a massage, etc.
...well you can do all these with tap jump on... just requires a little finesse, especially the "No losing jump with up-b" part.
Also why not just SH->cstick up for SH uair?

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
...well you can do all these with tap jump on... just requires a little finesse, especially the "No losing jump with up-b" part.
Also why not just SH->cstick up for SH uair?
At a certain point it really comes down to personal preference. As far as I know, there's nothing you can't technically do with one but can with the other, it's just different inputs.

In the case of SH uairs though, it's clearly easier without tap jump. With, your options are: use a shoulder button set to jump + c-stick, use X/Y + c-stick (which is slower unless you use your index finger to press X/Y), or use tap jump + c-stick and miss out on full horizontal mobility without getting really tricky. Without tap jump, you just SH or SH forward > uair exactly like you would with any other aerial.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Since I c-stick every aerial other than nairs, sh -> uair never triggers tap jump.

Step it up bros

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I find it muuuuch easier to press 8 different buttons to do an usmash OOS with tap jump off than to do an utilt or SH uair with tap jump on. That's just how my hands work.

And I'm a Melee vet too. I played it competitively and went to tournaments for over 3 years before Brawl came out. When I do go back to Melee nowadays, I only play Peach, because she's least affected by tap jump. Her utilt is useless and her float prevents me from accidentally tap jumping her 2nd jump most of the time.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I use default controls and probably would have a really really hard time changing any of them considering I used every button on the GC controller.

Default >>>>> everything else anyways though :).

metroid1117

Smash Master
Since I c-stick every aerial other than nairs, sh -> uair never triggers tap jump.

Step it up bros
I C-stick all my aerials, including NAirs.

Get on my level :p.

... Seriously though, does anyone else play with a modified C-stick setting? I play with it set to Attack so I can C-stick jabs and NAirs.

Vashimus

Smash Master
That's another thing. I wavedash with tap jump. Although I'd love to turn it off for every character, that's gonna be a detriment.

But yeah, like what JCaes said, pick a character in Melee who isn't as affected by tap jump. Thank God for Jiggs.

EDIT: I use the C-stick for all my aerials as well (except Nair of course). Easiest way for me to WoP.

I thought setting C-stick to attack will let you do tilts in those direction, but if I press up, Mario does an upsmash instead of an uptilt on the control config. Sucks.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I thought setting C-stick to attack will let you do tilts in those direction, but if I press up, Mario does an upsmash instead of an uptilt on the control config. Sucks.
If Attack Stick let you C-stick UTilts, dash-canceled UTilts would be AMAZING with Fox lol.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
... Seriously though, does anyone else play with a modified C-stick setting? I play with it set to Attack so I can C-stick jabs and NAirs.
No. Only Ike's do that.
Yeah, that's actually a vBrawl Ike thing that got transferred over. It's the only way to do dairs offstage without fastfalling past the range of recovery. Btw, my friend says you should play Ike in vBrawl competitively again, Metroid. :p

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
My New Year's Resolution is next time my Brawl disc is in my Wii, I'll finally finish my BRSTM pack that I started before AGDQ.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Due to the discussion of changeng controls and aerials, I potentially change X to Attack so I can shfl easier, (Just press X directly after a light Y tap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom