• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Really? I only saw a couple morons that were there almost purely on the basis of Melee vs. Brawl rather than actually having a reason to hate the video.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
trailer showed some nice progression(waveshining especially)
but tbh the combo's were nothing special at all, the first combo first three uairs to a missed bair to a knee a little later on
however understand you had little footage to work with but their were some combos that should have been there that weren't such as some g-reg combos

tldr: good progression on the project, the combos were lackluster
edit: the wolf combos were **** though :)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ah, I wasn't aware. Now, isn't it earlier consoles like the PAL N64 that only did 50 FPS or am I mistaken?

Blayd

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I wasn't aware. Now, isn't it earlier consoles like the PAL N64 that only did 50 FPS or am I mistaken?
That's right.
But all later consoles (afaik) support the so-called PAL60 mode so that the game runs at 60 FPS.

The new picture of DL64 looks so good, can't wait to see the final version :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Is Termina going to be included?
Stage was banned in Melee, so I'm not sure if there'll be much effort to include it, but if someone re-makes the stage via stage hacking you'll be free to include it on your Wii.
Are you going to leave Fox's FAir in? It's 9001x more useful than his Melee FAir – it sets up for combos and grabs, and considering how good Fox already was in Melee, I don't think he needs the extra buff (unless you're nerfing other things, shine amongst them).
The main thing is that with higher gravity, gl with comboing all of Fair into itself. Lol. In Melee it also set up for combos & grabs, it's just people never used it that way. But I'll look into it.
I believe they restored that function already. If they haven't, it wouldn't be difficult to do.
Someone actually already tried and was unsuccessful with it. Not sure if magical Shanus has or not, though. Either way, Kirby will be good enough (think Brawl Kirby + Melee Physics + N64 Nair) to not need kirbycides to be viable.
Just from the small amount of play I've seen of Kirby, it seems like his new Nair is a bit overcentralizing to his game.
His bair is actually better for approaching than nair is, lol. People have just been amazed by the new nair and want to use it a lot. :p
Can wolf JC his blaster? Or wtf was going on there.
Yup. :p He can also ground cancel his shine ala N64 Fox.

humble

Smash Ace
Idk, just from what I've seen (and thats only other people playing a small amount of kirby) the new nair appears to link into itself, has hitboxes on both sides (making it better than bair for cross-ups on shields) deal moderate knockback and damage, and hit at angles good for gimping. Brawl kirby had uair for comboes, dair for shield pressure, and bair for knockback, damage, and gimping. Nair is just currently really useful, being so quick to start, low landing lag (with L canceling, it has pretty much none) and being a sex kick, it can be used in a ton of situations safely. Someones recovering? Nair. Someone airdodged? Nair. Someone just got naired? Nair again. Dunno how its priority is, but hopefully its poor.

But this is just my exaggerated opinion- obviously I don't have access to frame data, percents, knockback, or testing, so we can watch and see how it turns out. Besides, even with its qualities, its just a moderately good move, it isn't MKs dair or anything.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think PAL TVs only display 50 fps. Err, 25. Or something. Isn't the American TV standard 29.97 fps or something? Now I'm just confusing myself.

MacKellarTeam1

Smash Cadet
Someone should make a trogdor charizard texture... Unless its already been done.

Any streams planned soon? Soon as in this week?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I could make a ton of guesses, but I want to say that varies from exact gravities (including fast falls), run speeds, full tilt walk speeds, and... other things.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Yes, that means a perfect conversion of how each character moves. That's pretty awesome.

G

genkaku

It's so cool to see such measurable progress so often, even if only in a casual mention. Makes me smile every time. Thank you.

shanus

Smash Hero
Magus is the man of the hour with his melee discoveries, as is Dant and Windowl

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
As for why PAL runs at 50Hz it's because of the standard for electricity there (240V/50HZ, may be off on the voltage) while it's 120V/60Hz in NA. I guess it was just easier to use the same frequency or something.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
About frame rate...

Melee had 2 framerates depending on region. NTSC is always 60fps (actually 59.94). PAL regions have 50fps by default, but PAL Melee was flawed in that this also caused the game to run that much slower. No self respecting Melee player in the PAL regions *ever* play at 50hz because it really is that awful - they always use PAL60, available as the holdB option on game start. This requires an NTSC-compatible display to work properly, but they are common amongst gamers.

The reason PAL has this different standard could be as simple as saying that these regions opted for higher vertical resolution at the expense of a lower refresh rate. While NTSC by default has 480 lines of resolution at 60hz, PAL has 625 lines of resolution and additional room for color data compared to NTSC, but at 50hz to compensate for analog broadcast limits. This of course causes a PAL gaming ghetto effect because most games are developed in the NTSC regions, then ported to PAL. Converting frame sensitive content designed for 60hz displays spells all kinds of timing errors when ported to a 50hz standard, which is why most PAL ports are notorious for "playing slower" (17.5% slower) than their NTSC originals.

As far as *Brawl* is concerned, I am not aware of how the frame refreshes are handled. That is, if PAL50 is actually in synch with NTSC/PAL60 side-by-side because there is obvious compatibility of Wifi between PAL and NTSC players. Common logic says that the frames themselves can't possibly be in perfect 1:1 synch, but the game itself can be. There are also games that just plain don't run at 50fps in the PAL region and can only run in PAL60, like Metroid Prime 2. I don't know what line SSBB falls under as far as 50hz compatibility and possible timing issues until a PAL player actually chimes in.
-----------
tl;dr
It is erroneous to say that your usual NTSC interlaced display runs at 29.97fps and PAL at 25fps. Even though two interlaced fields can combine to form one complete frame, the fact remains that for each time the image is refreshed on the display, it's data from a different image each time since Smash runs at the same rate as the maximum refresh, thus you are seeing visuals from 60 distinct images each second.

Also, I hate you all.

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys EVER going to add some character pages on Smashmods? I mean, there are at least 2 to 3 that are good enough to show right?

shanus

Smash Hero
Are you guys EVER going to add some character pages on Smashmods? I mean, there are at least 2 to 3 that are good enough to show right?
A lot of us are very busy. If we have time to write up char pages, we do. However, much of our focus is on working on the product rather than typing up char pages

With that said, I'll bug people to do it

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Is it just my imagination or did the new trailer just become outdated in under a week's time? The camera has been fixed and perfect melee physics are available... what is next? is someone going to spill a drink which will result in uncovering the key to the landing detection code? lol

But seriously, you guys are making A LOT of progress, and very fast! Keep up the good work, you are all awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom