• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
IIRC link has the 3rd or 4th slowest running speed. That is pretty slow >_>.

I just think it will help a lot with spacing issues.
Tied for 4th slowest with Peach, above Zelda/D3/Puff. Can't find anything on initial dash speeds, but I feel like Link's is pretty good, and that the initial dash is more important for a character like Link. I mean, what's a faster run going to do for Link against Fox anyways? Why is his current run speed holding him back from being "viable" in that MU?

:059:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Of course it is. It's the biggest smash tournament in the world!
I think he means, is the PM portion going to get streamed? You know, because Alex is being sponsored and all?

IIRC link has the 3rd or 4th slowest running speed. That is pretty slow >_>.

I just think it will help a lot with spacing issues.
imo innitial dash is much more important for spacing. (though maybe that is what you mean, you didn't respond to my post)
You didn't respond to my post either, Hylian...

Are you suggesting that Link can't compete with fast characters at all, or is it only the spacees?

Limeee

Smash Champion
responding to 20-page-ago discussion but i have an interesting idea for ice climbers that would make them similar to carl in blazblue

basically nana performs improved versions of all the b moves and popo performs other actions, i think albeit being hard to program it would feel very smooth

down b would be an improved blizzard
side b should probably be changed ( i have lots of ideas but not very many good ones)
up b would be some form of recovery that cancels popo out of whatever action she is in
and neutral b could be an improved projectile

this opens up lots of onstage and offstage options, and makes the character less gimmicky and more simple, while still being complex
however im not sure what to do with their grab game

:009:

ELI-mination

Smash Champion

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Tied for 4th slowest with Peach, above Zelda/D3/Puff. Can't find anything on initial dash speeds, but I feel like Link's is pretty good, and that the initial dash is more important for a character like Link. I mean, what's a faster run going to do for Link against Fox anyways? Why is his current run speed holding him back from being "viable" in that MU?

:059:
Running speed lets him actually catch spacies. If I hit a spacie with a rang/bomb I don't have enough time to hit them due to them being fast fallers. I can't throw the rang close to the spacies because they will hit me(seriously, it's so hard to have rang out in that match-up, and even when you do it doesn't really do much). This also helps a lot against falco, link can cover pretty much NO ground while trying to approach falco.

I just think it will help him a bit vs spacies while not making any of his other match-ups that much better for him.

I really just want to think of something that will make him not lose horribly to spacies but not broken. I really agree that he is very balanced aside from 2 match-ups that are pretty much unwinnable.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I just think link needs a weak armor (like Bowsers crouch/crawl) with his shield, and a better initial dash, that's pretty much it for me, it seems like he's almost perfect the way his right now. question, does haveing a better initial dash make his foxtrot/dashdance better?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah man, I love link and think he's pretty much perfect. I just think he needs a very minor tweek and it's hard to pinpoint what it is exactly.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Yeah man, I love link and think he's pretty much perfect. I just think he needs a very minor tweek and it's hard to pinpoint what it is exactly.
Yeah and i guess now you could call yourself hylian in a tourney (link not sucking) but yeah i feel like shield actually being a shield would be amazing for his similarity to the games (plus it'd be great against falco) and a better foxtrot would be super too, other than that, i feel like he's actually......Link the Hero of Time, and not just a guy called link with a shield and a sword :glare:.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yeah and i guess now you could call yourself hylian in a tourney (link not sucking) but yeah i feel like shield actually being a shield would be amazing for his similarity to the games (plus it'd be great against falco) and a better foxtrot would be super too, other than that, i feel like he's actually......Link the Hero of Time, and not just a guy called link with a shield and a sword :glare:.
His shield doesn't block physical attacks, but it works for projectiles. I don't know if you didn't know this since when you mentioned Falco I presumed you meant his lasers.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys on east coast, hope you're all doing okay, be safe!! and i hope that your power isn't out so you can ride out the storm playing PM (See that kept it PM related). But seriously hope you guys are alright

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, it's even worse than Florida hurricanes in that it's ~50 degrees out with high humidity. I'm sure NE PMBR members are already fretting over the current situation, but don't worry about updates. I have a friend with family in that region and it's not pretty. I hope things stabilize soon for anyone up there.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Just got our power back. Still dunno if the vgbootcamp stream is happening tonight, but I do think Legionary Wednesday will happen tomorrow night as usual.

:phone:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Guess I'm lucky with the power failure part still have my power even after last night. Still getting the bruntal of the strong winds here in Michigan. I live about 20 mins away from Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti. Think it will be more settle now but never know with the weather. Many of my friends and family though are without it though so :urg:

Here's hoping the stream will come through but if not it should be perfectly understandable by everyone to why if it is not up.

abcool

Smash Ace
Yeah, Sandy had passed over the Bahamas last week thursday and my power went on that friday morning and came back on that Saturday afternoon. The winds were crazy, but not much damage to Nassau, It serious messed up Freeport with floods etc. I know a lot of houses in the US aren't built to withstand hurricanes, so hope you guys are good.

I was looking forward to the stream by VGbootcamp since it looks like all of the updates, Dazee doesn't make on saturdays are revealed with the stream. If the stream doesn't happen i hope someone gives us a write up on the Project M site.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
JC, you have on your little character things that you mained G&W in melee, why do you never play him on streams?

Do you not like him anymore, or did you never actually play him?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
JC, you have on your little character things that you mained G&W in melee, why do you never play him on streams?

Do you not like him anymore, or did you never actually play him?
I did main him for a couple years in Melee. But even though I designed ~90% of his Project M incarnation, I don't find him particularly fun or interesting to play anymore. Dunno why. I think I've just found so many other characters that are more fun to play for me.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Roommate and I were talking about balance changes we think link needs. We both came to the conclusion that he's pretty much perfect as is except for two things.

1. Take away his long chaingrabs so he doesn't destroy characters like lucas so badly.

2. Give him a faster running speed. This alone will make him viable against Fox/Falco and other fast characters while not giving him too much of an advantage or one at all in his already evenish match-ups.

Thoughts?
I can agree with this

How about a faster walking speed, allowing him to move forward with the shield to stop Lazers?
You know Falco can easily lazer his face or knees, it's not gonna help

The shield doesn't actually help much

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Relying on your shield is like relying on your opponent to mess up. No good link player is going to do that.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Actually, powershielding is a really good strategy vs. Falco though. Just close in the distance, get a few powershields and look for a combo starter like dsmash.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Actually, powershielding is a really good strategy vs. Falco though. Just close in the distance, get a few powershields and look for a combo starter like dsmash.
Right, I'm talking about the Hylian Shield.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Muffins anyone?

Quick question: why was TL given the old N64 Link style recovery? It's really lame and even with bombjumping his recovery feels pathetic. Any reason we couldn't have kept it like Link's?

Also, his grounded Upb. Is there anyway to make it not so garbage? Lol. Being able to move with it is cool, but it feels pointless when people can literally jump in, eat the hits, CC and shield it then punish.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I think that is more akin to the ridiculous effectiveness of CC, as oppose to the relative ineffectivness of the move.

When you think about it 90% of the moves in the game can be CC at certain percents and punished. Hell, "Roy" can be crouch cancelled, unless your like jigglypuff and he does that reverse up-B **** lol.

But this harkens back to the CC discussion we had about 500 pages ago, about whether or not to nerf the effectiveness of CC. I think the general concensus was to leave it be.

However I would agree that if toon links hurricane spin can be CC at all reasonable percents(0%-150%) it could probably stand to recieve a buff so that it isnt crouch cancelable at like 60+%

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Muffins anyone?

Quick question: why was TL given the old N64 Link style recovery? It's really lame and even with bombjumping his recovery feels pathetic. Any reason we couldn't have kept it like Link's?

Also, his grounded Upb. Is there anyway to make it not so garbage? Lol. Being able to move with it is cool, but it feels pointless when people can literally jump in, eat the hits, CC and shield it then punish.
Pretty much this. TL grounded UpB is really good, until you do it the third time and people realize they can just shield like the fourth hit of it.

Also, does anyone think it would be really awesome if Bowser had more of a fire ball projectile for his neutral b that functioned like Wolf's laser rather than his fire breath? It seems like Bowser more traditionally shoots fire balls like that as opposed to the fire stream, and it would really unique and appropriate for his zoning needs.
I know it will never happen, but I just think it is an interesting concept.

B.W.

Smash Champion
T.Link's grounded up-B doesn't really need to be touched. His aerial up-B is okay for kills (I guess), but the ****ty recovery is why I don't play him to begin with.

Also Bowser doesn't need a zoning tool, he's already a monster and Firebreath works fantastically.

Kati

Smash Lord
I always wanted smb1 style fireballs, but project:M Bowser doesn't need them. Making projectiles is difficult if not impossible too.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
T.Link's grounded up-B doesn't really need to be touched. His aerial up-B is okay for kills (I guess), but the ****ty recovery is why I don't play him to begin with.

Also Bowser doesn't need a zoning tool, he's already a monster and Firebreath works fantastically.
I think his Upb overall should get some love. Recovery and grounded wise. WE KNOW N64 Link style recovery is a nono. Bomb Jumping doesn't fix that lol.

Bowser is fine with Firebreath. I would actually probably change Charizard's instead, because it feels like he has more incentive to go offstage than Bowser does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom