• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd like to direct your attention to this clip of Wario running.
Anyways, not that it's off topic or anything, but this is why we have abstained from showing BR changes before releases in the past- people complain prematurely about things when everything is subject to change.

Anyways, for those of you who don't know, I will be streaming on Saturdaze at 6pm EST @ twitch.tv/dazee_ so follow me for more 2.5 preview streaming fun!
Then please, by all means, change it from his walking animation to his running animation.

If it wasn't ready to show a new running animation based on his walking animation, it really shouldn't have been shown, is all.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Is this honestly the kind of stuff worth arguing over? I mean, is a man doing a goofy run animation a big enough deal where there absolutely needs to be a complaint noted?

It looks absolutely fine. This is just silly nitpicking, at best.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What percent does it start working on fast fallers? It's much easier on floaties.
I use uthrow cg on fast fallers, that works at low %'s.

link can cg the lighter/floatier characters at low percentage.
How? Can you show me a video of any link doing this? What characters does it work on? I tested it on DK and I couldn't get a grab below 50%, and even above 50% was extremely hard as you had to grab pretty much frame perfect until around 70%+ where it became easy. It seems like if your opponent DI's correctly they just tech away before your hitbox even comes out.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Wario - Got an A+B move on the ground. He stomps his foot and opponents hit by it are buried in the dirt like DK side b. I doubt the A+B bury thing is going to stay in. His dash dance looks more useful. His dash grab has variable lengths depending on how long you hold down the grab button. his bite neutral B is manuverabe in the air now so he can move forward while doing the move. F-tilt has a new feture that if you hold A he winds up his punch longer and i assume he does more damage. F-throw got a new animation and charge feature. He throws the opponent like a football hold the grab button, i think, to charge the throw and the throw gets different properties. Down B looks like it has a bigger hit box. New run animation.
Is that what I think it is? :love:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
The animation is much better than the dumb Brawl dash but it's still the same principle as Charizard using his Walk animation sped up to run.
No it isn't. Charizard's walk is undeniably a walk. It's slow, heavy and (as any a walk should) he keeps one leg on the ground at all times (which is by definition a pre-requisite for a walk). The Wario Land "walk" isn't even a walk by any stretch of the imagination. It's a jog at the very least (a rather brisk one in the Shake Dimension from which it's primarily based on) which could easily be transferred into a run.

Why wasn't I use the running head charge as run you may ask? Because it looks like an attack. He's ramming head first at you. Heck even in the games he uses it to bulldoze his way through stuff. It's like the shoulder charge but he just goes straight through.

But yeah, just thought I'd point that out.

jalued

Smash Lord
After playing some more PM 2.1 last night, my friend and I became aware that clanking seems to occur far more often in PM than melee.

For example, in melee a jab would generally not clank with a ftilt,

In PM it's a common occurrence.

Is this a coding issue to do with brawl coding or am I going crazy?

Izzmo

Smash Cadet
2.1 uses PAL on hit NTSC on whiff.

:phone:
So it does, I never knew. That's actually really good.

On another note: Has the PMBR any plans to change/improve the menu/hud even more to make the mod more obviously different from regular Brawl?
I would really enjoy for example new stock icons because I have difficulties seeing the regular ones in certain situations.

iLink

Smash Champion
Kink how are you even complaining about that animation. Using his actual dash animation would look kind of ridiculous and the way he motions his arms back and forth more then looks like a run. Hell, he probably is running and the charge is technically a tackle.

Is his walk animation getting changed too? I remember it just being him sliding his feet across the floor.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
So it does, I never knew. That's actually really good.

On another note: Has the PMBR any plans to change/improve the menu/hud even more to make the mod more obviously different from regular Brawl?
I would really enjoy for example new stock icons because I have difficulties seeing the regular ones in certain situations.
I'm curious about this too. I enjoy the remodeling of the Menu's in project M and I would love to see them go further. I just don't think the big colorful buttons fit well with the game anymore.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
While the brawl HUD is alright in high resolutions, on lower YT qualities the stock icons become barely seeable, and sometimes I end up thinking someone has far fewer stocks than they actually do.

And, from a design standpoint, it looks... incredibly odd, compared to how the rest of the P:M menus have been restyled.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Wait, there's a new update coming out!?

Can't wait to tune into some streams.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace

stingers

Smash Obsessed
So, I may have discovered something useful for Charizard: it seems if you B-reverse/Wavebounce his Flamethrower after at least a medium-hop (needs a little more distance than a short hop from what I've experienced), you get this:

I highlighted the relevant parts

I've found it better when used from an uncharged fly to retreat with due to the sheer distance, but the cool thing here is that 1st flame, which can result in coverage like this when you land with it:

Here we see the Flames hitting about 1/2 of Smashville, and yet still go airborne slightly for a pretty huge, if brief, hitbox. The trick to this is doing a not-quite-full hop and performing the B-reversal, making him scoot back just an inch but extending the fire by nearly double (Normal Fire from that spot would only reach the turtle guy in the backdrop).

Not sure if this actually is anything, or even potentially useful with 2.5 on the horizon, but worth sharing *shrug*.
woah cool trick o.o
you should make a vid!

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
How? Can you show me a video of any link doing this? What characters does it work on? I tested it on DK and I couldn't get a grab below 50%, and even above 50% was extremely hard as you had to grab pretty much frame perfect until around 70%+ where it became easy. It seems like if your opponent DI's correctly they just tech away before your hitbox even comes out.
Should be in some of my videos, and it's easy to do, you can do it on another Link, DK, Ganon, G&W, Mario, Lucas is especially easy, and the list goes on... how did you not know this? lol

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm curious about this too. I enjoy the remodeling of the Menu's in project M and I would love to see them go further. I just don't think the big colorful buttons fit well with the game anymore.
We're very limited with what we can do to the menu still, so... that's not something on the cards or is currently possible. What you see in demo 2.1 is what we still have in the current 2.5 preview build. Apologies, but it's the best we can do for the moment.

As far as stock icons go, they are extremely tiny, getting anything that'll look any better than the current icons is not easy. It's been looked at before and brought up many times, we're just blocked by doing anything worthwhile because of the ridiculously small size the stock icons have to be. And remember, we want to make sure everything has a natural and professional look to it. It can't just be any icon change for the stocks.

Additionally, before anyone asks, no we cannot bring back the Melee-styled head stocks. And yes, we've tried using the normal Smash circle logo the franchise has created. They didn't work out. :(

After playing some more PM 2.1 last night, my friend and I became aware that clanking seems to occur far more often in PM than melee.

For example, in melee a jab would generally not clank with a ftilt,

In PM it's a common occurrence.

Is this a coding issue to do with brawl coding or am I going crazy?
It's not an issue as far as I'm aware. Magus looked at clanking a long time ago, only to find out it already matches Melee. It's based mostly on how much damage a move does, not so much how big a hitbox is (which tends to be a common misconception I believe, hence why people go nuts when they see something like Marth's Fsmash clanking with another character's forward tilt). I'm not sure if it's based on a certain threshold of damage or if it's just: "if this move does 7% and this move does 7% they clank".

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
We're very limited with what we can do to the menu still, so... that's not something on the cards or is currently possible.

As far as stock icons go, they are extremely tiny, getting anything that'll look any better than the current icons is not easy. It's been looked at before and brought up many times, we're just blocked by doing anything worthwhile because of the ridiculously small size the stock icons have to be. And remember, we want to make sure everything has a natural and professional look to it. It can't just be any icon change for the stocks.

Additionally, before anyone asks, no we cannot bring back the Melee-styled head stocks. And yes, we've tried using the normal Smash circle logo the franchise has created. They didn't work out. :(
Well that's a shame. How exactly does something like that work in Brawl? I'm thinking if it'd be possible to just make something more "visible" but still simple, something like a black circle wrapped in a white circle, so it wouldn't be TOO bad-looking.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Should be in some of my videos, and it's easy to do, you can do it on another Link, DK, Ganon, G&W, Mario, Lucas is especially easy, and the list goes on... how did you not know this? lol
Because I tested it and it didn't work at low %'s on DK. At all. I tested with no DI/DI and teching etc etc. I find it hard to believe when I've tested it and it didn't work and I've never seen someone else do it under 40% :/. I'm sure it works on some characters but I couldn't get it to work on DK till around 50%.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Guys, guys.

Link is really good.

On that note, why can't I do a reverse bair with Link on both hits? Do I just suck or is it not working in P:M?

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Because I tested it and it didn't work at low %'s on DK. At all. I tested with no DI/DI and teching etc etc. I find it hard to believe when I've tested it and it didn't work and I've never seen someone else do it under 40% :/. I'm sure it works on some characters but I couldn't get it to work on DK till around 50%.
You're doing it wrong then, that's all I can say :/

Try G&W you can CG from 0% lol it's hilarious

Guys, guys.

Link is really good.

On that note, why can't I do a reverse bair with Link on both hits? Do I just suck or is it not working in P:M?
You mean you're running forward then reversing just before you jump and using b-air? If so then it should work, you're just not timing it right, try moonwalk > shffl b - air > turn around > jab > jab > d-smash, it's awesome pulling that off

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Wario - Got an A+B move on the ground.
A+B moves are a thing now? How many people are gonna get them?

pit - got a link style fsmash. can only glide once in the air if he started in the air. up b seems to be all sweet spot now and reliable for a kill. side B momentum looks smoother. Arrows look slower and may be even more weak at a distance. (they looped an arrow on smash ville and it hit a balloon and the ballon didn't pop which means it did less than 1% damage)
What's with the Pit nerfs? He wasn't even top tier.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You're doing it wrong then, that's all I can say :/

Try G&W you can CG from 0% lol it's hilarious

You mean you're running forward then reversing just before you jump and using b-air? If so then it should work, you're just not timing it right, try moonwalk > shffl b - air > turn around > jab > jab > d-smash, it's awesome pulling that off
I'm not doing it wrong, your opponenets aren't DIing.

I'm literally sitting here testing this on DK, I can NOT grab him below 40% even with no DI. When he starts DIing away and teching that % goes up. I've tested it several times, if you can show me a video of you doing it I will believe you.

Edit: I can CG earthbound characters at low% so far

Double Edit: DIing away and teching makes it impossible to regrab almost the entire cast at low %s. Test it for yourself if you don't believe me. For example shiek you can grab at 0% without DI, but Diing away and teching you can't grab till like 40%.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Stop thinking tweaks = nerfs.

Please.

This is aimed at you AND everyone else.
Cutting his recovery in by a third isn't a nerf? (Considering each glide as a third and his jumps+up b as the last third)

I mean, sure we don't know everything about his changes, but this is a pretty big thing.

I DO however, really like his fsmash changes so far.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I'm not doing it wrong, your opponenets aren't DIing.

I'm literally sitting here testing this on DK, I can NOT grab him below 40% even with no DI. When he starts DIing away and teching that % goes up. I've tested it several times, if you can show me a video of you doing it I will believe you.
Dude you just said you tried it without your opponent using DI and still couldn't get it, I don't know what else to say other than practice, and I'll have to make one next time my friend comes over unless you wanna see it against a computer?

http://youtu.be/3KLRBM5Ps8c at 30 seconds, check out the Red Link. The player that the video features does this through out and it's pretty sexy.
Damn haven't tried this out, definitely gonna though, sorry man :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom