• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Lol mango played like ***.

And yeah, chads Mario is ****, but I'm just glad that Yakal placed 7th in a 100+ man tournament and represented BC so well :p

Just play homo. :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lol mango played like ***.

And yeah, chads Mario is ****, but I'm just glad that Yakal placed 7th in a 100+ man tournament and represented BC so well :p

Just play homo. :p
They did singles for PM already?

joY

Pot splitter
Some seriously great gameplay happening right now on the stream. So glad that P:M is getting so much traction. 1.6K+ viewers at a point!

Haha, and sooooo many people asking what P:M is.

They did singles for PM already?
Yes, they did the singles bracket earlier, before doubles.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Anyone know what the top 8 is?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I mean who made the top 8 though, not their placings.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
top six is

axe
hbox
kage
chad
darkrain
vro

7th was yakal and i think 4% APR
9th is me sfat and some other dudes

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
god damnit vro
Why'd you have to make it to top six
Now all the scrubs are gonna say this proves Ike is too good.
You better not win.
In fact, place sixth pl0x.

joY

Pot splitter
Are any of these P:M matches being recorded for YouTube or the like?

If anything, I think tomorrow's final matches should be recorded since they are taking place so damn early haha!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
god damnit vro
Why'd you have to make it to top six
Now all the scrubs are gonna say this proves Ike is too good.
You better not win.
In fact, place sixth pl0x.
Vro is a legit good player who's found his stride with Ike, The thing about Ike I believe chillin summed it up pretty well on stream. He is a legit good character but some of his attacks have too much knockback or power. his Fsmash eating so much shield and doing so much damage doesn't make sense. Changing that and giving him some endlag on the tilts will make him less nooby but he'll still remains a good character capable of taking tournaments.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
The pirate ship match needs to go on Youtube asap.
all I can say is I'm so glad I waited to complete the 2.1 combo video until after the FC-tournament.

it's a shame there was almost no pit rep at this at all. if only he had more reliable smash attack kills or slightly better aerial mobility...since he's got wings. Ah well guess the world isn't ready for pit yet.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Vro is a legit good player who's found his stride with Ike, The thing about Ike I believe chillin summed it up pretty well on stream. He is a legit good character but some of his attacks have too much knockback or power. his Fsmash eating so much shield and doing so much damage doesn't make sense. Changing that and giving him some endlag on the tilts will make him less nooby but he'll still remains a good character capable of taking tournaments.
I think this guy is implying that Ike needs nerfs. Even though he most certainly doesn't. Don't be that guy. The guy that complains that a character needs nerfs even though nobody's even had enough time to figure it how to beat him.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think this guy is implying that Ike needs nerfs. Even though he most certainly doesn't. Don't be that guy. The guy that complains that a character needs nerfs even though nobody's even had enough time to figure it how to beat him.
I know exactly how to beat Ike now but that doesn't mean he's not OP'd he's simply sheik OP'd at this point. Frame advantage > Ike...The problem is...not everyone has 1-2 frame attack combined with range, speed, recovery, and the edgeguarding to beat Ike. Only some characters can beat Ike the others have to get lucky or they lose...sort of ends up making Ike a top tier by default. I don't think he's the best in the game yet but from what I've seen today if Metroid was at FC him and Vro would be in the top 8 most likely. I think Ike needs both nerfs and buffs tbh. He needs something to help with getting destroyed by fast characters who have frame-range-speed...etc over him so that he doesn't get trapped in shields and then *****. He also needs to be a little weaker in some places...I'm thinking PAL Ganon except with his Fair and maybe something else idk.

oksas

oak-sauce
did wobbles enter PM? i'm willing to bet his mario would have made top 8, considering he was beating axe (iirc?) in PM a few months ago

edit: wait what, wobbles did enter but isn't top 8?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If Ike's at shiek's level then he's fine. The goal was top make everybody top/high tier anyways, and melee shirk happens to fall in there...

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
If Ike's at shiek's level then he's fine. The goal was top make everybody top/high tier anyways, and melee shirk happens to fall in there...
My point was he's Melee sheik not Project M sheik good. Meaning he auto-beats a large portion of the cast because his combination of range and power simply denies them a victory. Sheik only loses to Puff/Falco/Fox(other S-tiers). Ike may be the same way in the end but with so many characters in this game it's just...horrific to see some auto-eliminated is all. Minor nerfs combined with minor buffs is probably the best option for Ike.

D

Deleted member

see i don't see melee sheik similar to PM ike at all.

that said i was glad to see ike perform well, and by well i mean pretty average and not god awful like i expected.

i got into a huge argument with ryoko about design philosophy and i might make a larger post about that later.

joY

Pot splitter
My point was he's Melee sheik not Project M sheik good. Meaning he auto-beats a large portion of the cast because his combination of range and power simply denies them a victory. Sheik only loses to Puff/Falco/Fox(other S-tiers). Ike may be the same way in the end but with so many characters in this game it's just...horrific to see some auto-eliminated is all. Minor nerfs combined with minor buffs is probably the best option for Ike.
See, even though you say he suffers from a few problems, he, according to you, still auto-beats a large portion of the cast. You even go so far as to say that it's just horrific to see some of the cast auto-eliminated.

So as far as that sounds, Ike certainly doesn't need any buffs. If anything, those few problems that he suffers from can be considered, to a degree, a matter of how Ike must be played, or, rather, how he must not be played.

I could only see justification for nerfs, if nerfs are necessary. Although it is obvious that Ike holds his own very well among all levels of play (today's tournament included), I feel like it is still too early to discern that Ike's advantages will outlast the meta-game.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
my main issue with ike is that a lot of his moves/attacks are just too effective for how easy they are to land. That isn't pleasing on either end. It makes me not want to use him nor fight him tbh

his overall design is good....I think you guys nailed that part, but he definitely needs some reworking in terms of start up lag, power and his range on certain moves.

Edit:

also, if there isn't going to be a balance patch anytime soon....there definitely needs to be at the least an engine patch ASAP. I fear that a lot of Melee players may be turned away due to the gimmicks and mishaps happening in 2.1

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
my main issue with ike is that a lot of his moves/attacks are just too effective for how easy they are to land. That isn't pleasing on either end. It makes me not want to use him nor fight him tbh

his overall design is good....i think you guys nailed that part. but he definitely needs some reworking in terms of start up lag, power and possibly reach

Edit:

also, if there isn't going to be a balance patch anytime soon....there definitely needs to be at the least an engine patch ASAP. I feel like a lot of Melee players may be turned away from all the gimmicks and mishaps happening in 2.1
This is a better way of explainin it. I've had a drink or 2 so i'm not able to think clearly. Well said.

see i don't see melee sheik similar to PM ike at all.

that said i was glad to see ike perform well, and by well i mean pretty average and not god awful like i expected.

i got into a huge argument with ryoko about design philosophy and i might make a larger post about that later.

How is making the top 6 average? especially considering there are other ike's that didn't show up and at least 1 that has done better than Vro before that aren't at FC?....I think you are just a salty hater of Ike for some reason. Clearly he's pretty good but I'd understand if you were unwilling to backtrack after all the stuff you've said about Ike.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
stream monsters are stupid
keyboard warriors are stupid

all the people ACTUALLY AT THE TOURNEY and in the PM tourney (100+) all are saying that they like the game a lot. i have literally not had a negative response from an intelligent person who has actually played the game.

D

Deleted member

How is making the top 6 average? especially considering there are other ike's that didn't show up and at least 1 that has done better than Vro before that aren't at FC?....I think you are just a salty hater of Ike for some reason. Clearly he's pretty good but I'd understand if you were unwilling to backtrack after all the stuff you've said about Ike.
there's been a lot of ike players on that stream with a lot of variance in performance between them. the character's performance seems more based on the player input, which is a good thing. i am happy to admit that ike is a good character if he's not exploited or flawed as i see him. let's see what happens tomorrow.

metroid1117

Smash Master
There is a Fro, and a Vro. People are referring to Fro.

:phone:
My bad, I misinterpreted what people were saying. Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, when I spoke to Vro in June about Ike in 2.1, both of us agreed that Ike needed nerfs. I'm not sure if his viewpoint has changed, but I doubt it has.

I'd also like to point out that Vro is being extremely successful without using QD turnarounds, which I feel are very useful at high levels of play. I can only imagine him being more successful once he integrates things like FThrow -> QD turnaround -> BAir or QD turnaround for edgehogging from across the stage.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
there's been a lot of ike players on that stream with a lot of variance in performance between them. the character's performance seems more based on the player input, which is a good thing. i am happy to admit that ike is a good character if he's not exploited or flawed as i see him. let's see what happens tomorrow.
yeah lets see...I hate to say it but I'm actually rooting for Ike to win this whole thing.

when I spoke to Vro in June about Ike in 2.1, both of us agreed that Ike needed nerfs.
Best Ike players agree that he needs nerfs...he needs nerfs...case closed.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I'd also like to point out that Vro is being extremely successful without using QD turnarounds, which I feel are very useful at high levels of play. I can only imagine him being more successful once he integrates things like FThrow -> QD turnaround -> BAir or QD turnaround for edgehogging from across the stage.
that's what i'm saying...no character should be doing this well this early on. There is still so much to explore and discover, as it is, any decent smasher can pick up Ike and do well by just spacing fairs and throwing out f-tilts

this is why I feel the pmbr might have overdone some characters.
what happened to every move not needing to be useful? with such "complete characters" matches may tend to have a little too much emphasis on character selection than desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom